Regal OR Navigator

Gabrielle R.

You should be interested in all opinions. Cruise Critic is a good resource because you get balance.

If your decision winds up being a close call, go with the one with more days at the same price.

Hey Hob of Hockey! Did you hear that the Flyers picked up UND's coach? That should be interesting to see..... Being from MN I follow a bit of hockey;)

AND you are right- that's why I posed the question to all of you!

I DO like Chocolate..... ;)

Cruiseologist- Serious question for you!

Did Regal have the chocolates by.... (Can't remember the name) How were the Desserts? My DH loves good desserts... food is generally the most important thing for DH...

DH likes the escargot on RCCL... He could have it almost every night on our last cruise... BUT Food was meh on RCCL....

I am leaning more towards Princess.....Funny thing RCCL forum many have liked Regal and said they were more Wow'd..... So makes for fun researching!

Gabrielle

Yes the Regal has Norman Love chocolates.

Desserts are excellent! So is the escargot! :)

We have not sailed RCI, so I can't help you there. But we sailed the Royal's maiden Caribbean voyage and I loved that ship in the Caribbean. We had a fantastic vacation. The only thing I would avoid is a midship cabin due to the lack of stairs (upper decks).

I love the Promenade decks that actually go to the bow of the ship (Grand & Crown class). I hate that they didn't continue that on the Royal. However, I love the elegant and comfortable grouped seating areas on the Royal Promenade. I never really missed long walks on the Promenade. You enjoy what's there, not spoil your vacation thinking about what's not there. I also loved the upscale grouped seating areas near the pool. Great place to hang out and drink with friends or meet new people when you want to be near the pool, but don't want to do lounge chairs.

The enlarged Piazza is amazing, the new style buffet is amazing (wish they'd switch to that design when ships are drydocked). Much larger adult only pool. Although I mostly hung out at the main pool so I could listen to the Caribbean band or watch the HD screen.

Don't let some people's bad opinions keep you from trying the Royal class ships. Like many have said each person has their own likes and dislikes. Try it now or wait till another time. The important thing is You're Going On A Cruise! :D

Oh yea.....the Sun Deck hot tubs....those are great....I missed those on our recent Diamond cruise, LOL.

Edited by Steven_&_Daniel
Hot Tubs!

OK.... I'm struggling with trying to figure out pros and cons of two ships. I'm down to two ships..... I just don't know enough to make an informed decision.

First- I am locked in to the dates during Christmas holidays. I have it figured out that we will leave from Fort Lauderdale.

It boils down to a 7 or 8 day cruise. 7 days on Regal 8 days on Navigator. I haven't been on either ship nor have been on either's sister ship(s). Price is about the same. 2 days vs 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale. Navigator goes to Eastern Caribbean, Regal does the Western Caribbean/Mexico, Roatan

We are platinum on BOTH lines. We have enjoyed our platinum benefits on Princess a few times- NEVER have tried Royal since getting to platinum.

Regal- no Promenade walking deck.:( BUT we've never been on a very new ship- so would like to try it. Where does the Platinum/Elite meet for early evening apps & drinks? We enjoy going there.... but Not sure where on Regal.... Crown, Ruby, had Sky Walkers......

I'm looking at an inside cabin and hoping for a sideways cabin.

Any experience with the Navigator class ship compared to Regal? Any positives that you could give either way?

THANKS!!

Gabrielle

Hello Gabrielle,

I have been on the sister to the Regal the Royal and have also been twice on the Navigator.

For sure it's always fun to travel on a newer ship so for me sometimes that plays in my choice.

Navigator is a great ship love the layout the inside promenade is always great and the shows and entertainment a bit more diverse on RCCL. The inside of the ship to me is more like a mall but still amazing to experience.

Royal/Regal for me is more elegant and also love the new layout of the buffet. Princess are the pioneer of the MUTS and they do a good job of it.

So like I said have been on both I would go with Princess as it is newer feel to it.

It's funny as I have the same dilemma for our possible cruise in November and its on the same ship as we are talking about. So I quess by answering your question it just confirmed my choice as well.

Wow

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Yes the Regal has Norman Love chocolates.

Desserts are excellent! So is the escargot! :)

I usually try to minimize eating desserts however about 2/3 of our 17 nights they had 50th Anniversary Norman Love chocolate desserts...I lacked enough willpower to not not have them & I'm very happy that I got them. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for ANY INFORMATION!

I've read many bad things about Regal/Royal. I of course know some of the negatives about RCCL.

I'm so appreciative of all since my DH asked me : "So what do your friends on Cruise critic say?"

I need ALL OF YOU!;)

Gabrielle

I also read so many negatives and they made me hesitant to book. Then I realized that the things people complained about really were not a big deal, to me. i.e., I did not miss the center staircase one bit, not once. The stairs and elevators were equidistant from my mid-forward cabin; I stopped booking balcony cabins when I started sailing solo, so that was also a non-issue; I find that I miss some features, and love some of the newer innovations. I had seen photos before I boarded the Royal, but none of them prepared me for that WOW factor that she provides. The piazza alone is worth the price. The Horizon Court is another area that I find amazing.

As others have said, a lot of the things that some complain about are none issues to me. So, I would say that you have to decide what is important and what isn't, for you. For me, the petty stuff is not important. My favorite complaint is the placement of the toilet paper holder in cabins. Folks made it sound like you had to walk across the room to reach it. I'm heavy and short. I didn't have to bend my elbow to reach the TP, which is more than I can say for home!

There is so much to love on the Royal and I found myself at odds as to which activity to join. I also found that if you smile at people and say hi, 98% of the time, they react in a positive way.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!

Maureen

And I prefer the Regal to the Navigator. I dont need the ice rink or the Promenade on the RCCL Ships. I thought the food, layout, decor and shows were excellent on the Regal (I've sailed her twice!). Navigator three years ago was showing her age then, I can't imagine what she is like now.

And I prefer the Regal to the Navigator. I dont need the ice rink or the Promenade on the RCCL Ships. I thought the food, layout, decor and shows were excellent on the Regal (I've sailed her twice!). Navigator three years ago was showing her age then, I can't imagine what she is like now.

Two years ago the Navigator had a make over and looks good as new!

Hey Hob of Hockey! Did you hear that the Flyers picked up UND's coach? That should be interesting to see..... Being from MN I follow a bit of hockey;)

AND you are right- that's why I posed the question to all of you!

I like both cruise lines. They are my two favorites, but we're giving Azamara a shot next.

You will have a great time on either cruise and I could debate eastern vs western caribbean any day. We love going to St John on the St Thomas stop and RCI has that nice transportation set up where they provide a boat there right from the cruise dock. Every cruise line should take their lead on that one.

Not a great year for the Flyers or Bruins. :( The problem with both is the players, not the coach.

Edited by hubofhockey

I usually try to minimize eating desserts however about 2/3 of our 17 nights they had 50th Anniversary Norman Love chocolate desserts...I lacked enough willpower to not not have them & I'm very happy that I got them. :D

I find I can't place dessert boundaries (or escargot) on a cruise. Just moderation when possible. ;)

I am leaning more towards Princess.....Funny thing RCCL forum many have liked Regal and said they were more Wow'd..... So makes for fun researching!

Gabrielle

I'm actually surprised to read that. Having cruised RCI many times including twice on Navigator, there really wasn't anything about Regal that made me say wow. In fact, I was a little underwhelmed and expected more out of the brand new ship.

Dont get me wrong. Regal is a beautiful ship. It's just, the focus is very much on the interior. Regal has no lounges with large, sweeping windows that look out to sea and it doesn't have the outside promenade that goes all the way around the ship. Navigator has both, and you can even go out on to the bow helipad. Frankly, I think Navigator is a much nicer ship.

I find I can't place dessert boundaries (or escargot) on a cruise. Just moderation when possible. ;)

I usually can limit my dessert caloric intake & moderation is the key.

However I am unable to eliminate my appetizer size course of the wonderful nightly pasta course. Being Italian that resistance is not part of my DNA & is a habit that continued on cruises after being hooked on our 1st Sitmar cruise. :p

That's another reason why I exercise daily...to enjoy the food and to still be able to fit into my clothes! ;) That's worked for me & if I add a couple of pounds I'm able to loose it quickly at home. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hello Gabrielle,

I have been on the sister to the Regal the Royal and have also been twice on the Navigator.

For sure it's always fun to travel on a newer ship so for me sometimes that plays in my choice.

Navigator is a great ship love the layout the inside promenade is always great and the shows and entertainment a bit more diverse on RCCL. The inside of the ship to me is more like a mall but still amazing to experience.

Royal/Regal for me is more elegant and also love the new layout of the buffet. Princess are the pioneer of the MUTS and they do a good job of it.

So like I said have been on both I would go with Princess as it is newer feel to it.

It's funny as I have the same dilemma for our possible cruise in November and its on the same ship as we are talking about. So I quess by answering your question it just confirmed my choice as well.

Wow

Thanks

Sea ya

Eric

Eric- funny how you and I had the same dilemma....

Did you notice I said HAD?

Funny how the posts when mentioning REGAL I noticed that people were gently nudging me to pick... That does help!!!:D

I finally decided on REGAL!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE! I DID appreciate the good and the bad... I DO want to know what can be bothersome and can look for ways to make sure it doesn't 'bug' either of us.

I really do value the input- especially from those who have been on both ships AND who have been on Regal.

Heck, I get to be on board a brand new ship on New Years! How fun is that? PLUS I'll be out of Minnesota where it's always cold :D

THANK YOU AGAIN to ALL of you!!! It helped both of us to make the decision!

Gabrielle

I finally decided on REGAL!!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE! I DID appreciate the good and the bad... I DO want to know what can be bothersome and can look for ways to make sure it doesn't 'bug' either of us.

I really do value the input- especially from those who have been on both ships AND who have been on Regal.

Heck, I get to be on board a brand new ship on New Years! How fun is that? PLUS I'll be out of Minnesota where it's always cold :D

THANK YOU AGAIN to ALL of you!!! It helped both of us to make the decision!

Gabrielle

Come join our REGAL roll call!

Eric- funny how you and I had the same dilemma....

Did you notice I said HAD?

Funny how the posts when mentioning REGAL I noticed that people were gently nudging me to pick... That does help!!!:D

Hi Again,

Your up one, I still havent decided yet as I tend to wait for the perfect price lol lol.

sea ya

Eric

You have made a very good choice.

I kept going back and forth and finally asked my TA (She's my friend too) and said- see what you can get me... then I showed the DH and he said... I rather stay with Princess... I know I'm happier with the food. We also heard RCCL upped prices on drinks... and we just thought.... We get better perks on Princess.....

Good luck Eric deciding!! Have fun!

Gabrielle