Regal OR Navigator

Gabrielle R.

OK.... I'm struggling with trying to figure out pros and cons of two ships. I'm down to two ships..... I just don't know enough to make an informed decision.

First- I am locked in to the dates during Christmas holidays. I have it figured out that we will leave from Fort Lauderdale.

It boils down to a 7 or 8 day cruise. 7 days on Regal 8 days on Navigator. I haven't been on either ship nor have been on either's sister ship(s). Price is about the same. 2 days vs 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale. Navigator goes to Eastern Caribbean, Regal does the Western Caribbean/Mexico, Roatan

We are platinum on BOTH lines. We have enjoyed our platinum benefits on Princess a few times- NEVER have tried Royal since getting to platinum.

Regal- no Promenade walking deck.:( BUT we've never been on a very new ship- so would like to try it. Where does the Platinum/Elite meet for early evening apps & drinks? We enjoy going there.... but Not sure where on Regal.... Crown, Ruby, had Sky Walkers......

I'm looking at an inside cabin and hoping for a sideways cabin.

Any experience with the Navigator class ship compared to Regal? Any positives that you could give either way?

THANKS!!

Gabrielle

Edited by Gabrielle R.

I've sailed on the Royal-class ships several times & once on the NOS and we definitely preferred the Regal & Royal.

Princess: Prefer the atmosphere, the ship's design, the food, the wine policy & service.

RCCL: Johnny Rockets was great but cost extra, some entertainment was better & although we're not sun worshippers maybe better pool facilities.

For us Princess nearly always provides us with our best overall cruise experience. We haven't sailed the NOS since it's recent drydock but none of the changes made would affect our preference. We enjoyed the NOS & the cost was similar but we prefer Princess.

The nightly Elite, Platinum & Suite event will be either held at Club 6 (not a good substitute for Skywalker's) or in the Vista Lounge (less room between seats) when there are more eligible passengers. Due to our dining habits we rarely go & on our Royal & Regal TAs (1,250 & 800 elite plus many more other levels) it was quite busy. In the past 6 months our 3 cruises on Princess (Royal, Crown & Regal) each day had a BOGO drink promotion between 3:00-4:00 and 11:00-midnight...again very popular in the afternoon at Crooner's but not as much later at Club 6.

I enjoyed the NOS walking circuit (used gym or 1/7 mile upper deck track on Regal/Royal), there are no amidship stairs on Regal/Royal (above deck 7) however neither did NOS and as I recall the Regal/Royal and NOS both had similar smaller balconies than the larger ones on the Grand-class ships.

I've never sailed during the Christmas season however have read that both have many kids onboard. We sailed the NOS during Mardi Gras week & there were many kids & I seem to recall that NOLA schools were on a break that week.

These are merely my thoughts as objectively as I can provide them but there are many reasons why my wife & I sail Princess regularly...they provide us with the best overall cruise experience within our budget. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks Astro Flyer! Thanks Working to Cruise!

Those are the ideas AND comments that I needed.

We generally prefer Princess, just wasn't sure how I'll like Regal. I've been reading a bit about Regal to see what many here think.

Thanks!!!

Gabrielle

We generally prefer Princess, just wasn't sure how I'll like Regal. I've been reading a bit about Regal to see what many here think.

Thanks!!!

Gabrielle

You're welcome & hope that your research will lead you to your best option. ;)

For me the pros far outweigh any cons about the Royal-class ships but that's merely our experience based on what we like about any cruise. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks!!!

Gabrielle

I can't comment on NOS, as I've never sailed the line. But I have sailed on the Royal and am booked on the Regal for October. I simply LOVED the Royal. Prior to the Royal, I sailed on the CB exclusively with Princess and liked her a lot. The Royal, IMHO, was mostly head and shoulders above the CB, and had features that I loved.

I also loved my inside, side facing cabin. I would suggest that you avoid those that sleep 4, as the bunks hang down over the bed and makes it feel very closed in. I booked C323 on my Royal cruise and have now booked the same cabin on my upcoming Regal b2b.

Maureen

OK.... I'm struggling with trying to figure out pros and cons of two ships. I'm down to two ships..... I just don't know enough to make an informed decision.

First- I am locked in to the dates during Christmas holidays. I have it figured out that we will leave from Fort Lauderdale.

It boils down to a 7 or 8 day cruise. 7 days on Regal 8 days on Navigator. I haven't been on either ship nor have been on either's sister ship(s). Price is about the same. 2 days vs 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale. Navigator goes to Eastern Caribbean, Regal does the Western Caribbean/Mexico, Roatan

We are platinum on BOTH lines. We have enjoyed our platinum benefits on Princess a few times- NEVER have tried Royal since getting to platinum.

Regal- no Promenade walking deck.:( BUT we've never been on a very new ship- so would like to try it. Where does the Platinum/Elite meet for early evening apps & drinks? We enjoy going there.... but Not sure where on Regal.... Crown, Ruby, had Sky Walkers......

I'm looking at an inside cabin and hoping for a sideways cabin.

Any experience with the Navigator class ship compared to Regal? Any positives that you could give either way?

THANKS!!

Gabrielle

Good luck with your choice. I have been on Royal and I'm not a fan of this class of ship for a Caribbean cruise.

My issues relate to: long waits and crowded elevators, no Explorers Club (Princess Live is a failure), less pools and horrible pool layout as compared with Grand Class, no Skywalkers. While our cruise was a St Petersburg/Baltic itinerary, my conclusion is that this class would be fine for cool weather itineraries, but not for a Caribbean cruise. I liked the Enclave, a pay to play thermal suite, Alfredo's, a sit down pizza place with small plates of Italian sides and salads, and bar. The balconies are small, but your preference is an inside cabin in any case.

I suppose you have been on Voyager class ships (you're platinum) and know what you would be getting. You might want to try something new and give the Regal a shot. I wouldn't, but it is different and you might enjoy the Princess experience more.

Been on the Navigator twice since the retro fit. Looking forward to the Regal for Christmas & New Years!

I disagree about the comment that RCI is more for younger... Yes, it has things like climbing walls, but it also has more resturant choices, ice skating shows, better complimentary spa features including sauna, steam and indoor hot tub.

Since the OP is staying in an insdide cabin, the TINY balconies on the Regal are one of her biggest drawbacks in my book.

With Princess, I do do feel the pace is a little slower.... not a bad thing. I think with Princess the intent is be generally a notch more elegant than Royal. And we love the Movies under the Stars.

Heck - both ships appears to great, I don't think either is a wrong choice.

OP - if you choose Regal, check out the Roll Call and join in the convesation.

Last comment.... buy airfare now! I don't see any economic reasons to wait. We are still looking a pre-cruise hotels, and realized the cost is about double other times of the year.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

We have been on both the Regal and the Royal in the Caribbean and had a wonderful time. We found the ships to be well suited to the Caribbean experience.

The choice of itinerary should help you make your decision on what ship to take. :D Which ever you choose, have a great time!:D

I'm at a loss why anyone would pick the Regal, or Royal over a Crown class ship, the only benefit i could see was the expanded buffet.

I am not personally picking the Royal or the Regal over the Grand Class ship. I enjoy them all. How great is that? :D

I'm at a loss why anyone would pick the Regal, or Royal over a Crown class ship, the only benefit i could see was the expanded buffet.

Have you actually sailed on these ships?

If no, and I think that's the correct answer, you really shouldn't give this type of opinion until you do sail on them.

Last I checked the OP was trying to decide between two ships - the Navigator of the Seas and Regal Princess - so I'm not sure how your topic-derailing thought entered this picture.

As for being at a loss, I'm at a loss as to why you can't seem to respect that others DO like this class of ship, and just leave it at that. Maybe you can start another thread, or a poll, or something, to discuss this more in depth.

:rolleyes:

Last I checked the OP was trying to decide between two ships - the Navigator of the Seas and Regal Princess - so I'm not sure how your topic-derailing thought entered this picture.

As for being at a loss, I'm at a loss as to why you can't seem to respect that others DO like this class of ship, and just leave it at that. Maybe you can start another thread, or a poll, or something, to discuss this more in depth.

Dave, this person complains a lot! We don't need any more derogatory threads about the ships...

Well said Dave, she rarely misses an opportunity to tell others that the Royal-class is bad even when that wasn't the question. :eek: :rolleyes:

There are pros & cons to ALL ships & just because things are different that doesn't make them bad. I think it's better to as objectively as possible share experiences & to let others decide what is best for "them"...and not based on what is best for "me". ;)

Thanks!!!

Gabrielle

The OP is already researching what others said about the Regal & considering them before deciding their best option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Dave, this person complains a lot! We don't need any more derogatory threads about the ships...

Hi Nina,

Heather (antsp) has a unique way of voicing her opinion, and some of her threads are legendary. But at some point in time you just have to shrug off the likes and dislikes of others without 'calling them to the carpet' for their taste in ships. We ALL like different things, cruise for different reasons, and enjoy aspects of the ships other might think as superfluous, a waste of space, or a failure. Just be glad there are lots of choices, and let others enjoy cruising the way that makes them the most happy.

:cool:

Dave, very well said. I just don't appreciate rabble rousing... You're too nice and I will try to follow your example.

I can't wait for you to sail again for your wonderful reviews! I'm also very hopeful to be able to sail on the Royal this fall or early next year. We've never been to the Caribbean. In the meantime, for us, it's the Ruby!

Hi Nina,

Heather (antsp) has a unique way of voicing her opinion, and some of her threads are legendary. But at some point in time you just have to shrug off the likes and dislikes of others without 'calling them to the carpet' for their taste in ships. We ALL like different things, cruise for different reasons, and enjoy aspects of the ships other might think as superfluous, a waste of space, or a failure. Just be glad there are lots of choices, and let others enjoy cruising the way that makes them the most happy.

:cool:

Legendary

Edited by antsp

Dave, very well said. I just don't appreciate rabble rousing... You're too nice and I will try to follow your example.

I can't wait for you to sail again for your wonderful reviews! I'm also very hopeful to be able to sail on the Royal this fall or early next year. We've never been to the Caribbean. In the meantime, for us, it's the Ruby!

Ruby Princess is a very pretty ship. I don't know if you've seen my pictures from when I cruised her, but just in case.... ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46011620&postcount=9

:D

Thanks for ANY INFORMATION!

I've read many bad things about Regal/Royal. I of course know some of the negatives about RCCL.

I'm so appreciative of all since my DH asked me : "So what do your friends on Cruise critic say?"

I need ALL OF YOU!;)

Gabrielle

I've read many bad things about Regal/Royal. I of course know some of the negatives about RCCL.

I'm so appreciative of all since my DH asked me : "So what do your friends on Cruise critic say?"

I need ALL OF YOU!;)

Gabrielle

I have sailed both lines many times. We were on Regal this March. All I can say is WOW!!! It can't compare to any of the RCCL ships that I have been on, given that the ship are very different. (Princess has no rock climbing wall etc). Saying this I have not been on Navigator . After our two last RCCL we decided no more RCCL.

Regal is beautiful and the food was great for us. I have never seen a buffet like Regal has. It was great.

Edited by geocruiser

I need ALL OF YOU!;)

Gabrielle

You should be interested in all opinions. Cruise Critic is a good resource because you get balance.

If your decision winds up being a close call, go with the one with more days at the same price.

Navigator is like compound cooking chocolate where as regal is like Lindt chocolate. What would you rather eat?

I DO like Chocolate..... ;)

Cruiseologist- Serious question for you!

Did Regal have the chocolates by.... (Can't remember the name) How were the Desserts? My DH loves good desserts... food is generally the most important thing for DH...

DH likes the escargot on RCCL... He could have it almost every night on our last cruise... BUT Food was meh on RCCL....

I am leaning more towards Princess.....Funny thing RCCL forum many have liked Regal and said they were more Wow'd..... So makes for fun researching!

Gabrielle