anytime dining vs. fixed cruise like dining?

yamaha123

I've noticed that few replies mention the Coral Princess specifically. The Coral/Island are unique, in that they have "only" 2 MDRs. Therefore, it's simple: one is for traditional, the other is for anytime. As a result, you have a finite capacity for anytime, but since anytime can start seating as soon as the doors open AND can refill a table as soon as it clears, you're probably only at risk of a wait from the moment the DR becomes full until the first tables start clearing. At that point, the DR will experience "rolling" table vacancies that can be filled dynamically. Since some tables will ask their wait staff to be fast and others may ask to be casual, those fast tables will create the churn you want for dinner seating.

Diamond/Sapphire have a similar constraint: the space normally filled by two MDRs on other Grand-class ships is instead sliced into four "half-sized" themed MDRs for anytime dining. If one DR happens to be full, the other three probably are, but not definitely and it could be worth walking to the others to check. The only trade-off is that each of the four themed DRs has a specialty dish, repeated nightly, that's only available in that DR.

Essentially all of the other "big" Princess ships have three MDRs, of which one is traditional fixed dining early and late, and the others are either anytime all night, or split traditional early then anytime late, depending on passenger request and Princess's wishes.

Jim, get a grip! Take a cold shower! I read and reread wowzz's post and certainly did NOT take offense the way you did. I do not believe he/she was trying to belittle anyone but merely stating that Europeans have different eating habits than North Americans. You seems to think that the poster was targeting you personally. They were just making a comment and you decided to fire your flame thrower. Ease up!

Well, Diver, I don't think I've told anyone to "get a grip!" and "take a cold shower!" ever, even without exclamation marks. So maybe someone else is a little wound up.

Wowzz wasn't "merely stating" anything; she was saying that anyone who didn't do as she did was mixed up.

Jim

Dh and I like a table for 2. We don't want to wait 30 min. or longer.

We don't want to eat much later or earlier than we do at home..

We like having the same servers every night. They make us feel welcome and we'll taken care of.

If we are running late, we head to a buffet , the IC or other venue depending on ship.

Princess' anytime is screwy. And to have to make reservations sort of defeats the purpose.

Thus traditional for us.

By the way, we found anytime dining to be pretty workable on our B2B shorties in October. If you think about the timing, it works out.

If the dining room opens at 5:30, you don't want to show up at 6:30. The first group is just getting through their main course. But if you show up at 5:30 or 7:30, you're probably going to find plenty of open tables.

Jim

Dinner at 5:30???????? If you have lunch at 1:00 and afternoon tea at 4:00 how can you possibly be hungry at 5:30? I assume you must want to eat supper at 8:30, when I am just sitting down to dinner.

I think the idea of dining so early is a particularly North American trait. I can't think of any European country where dinner would be eaten so early. Living in Spain it was quite normal for us to be eating dinner at 11:00.

Your kidding right!? If you eat dinner at 5:30, then you can snack at the buffet later. Dud! ;)

Anytime is YMMV, how can one predict what that cruise crowd's preference is that day or for the cruise.

I've done AD on several cruises and depending on the time could be 5' to a frustrating 20'. This most recent cruise we decided to go traditional early seating, couldn't be happier with the more set schedule and table waiting for you at the "set" time.

We ended up with anytime on one cruise (never cleared the waitlist) and we didn't care for it at all. Only had one wait out of seven nights that we bothered to go to the anytime dining room...the other seven nights we ate in the Horizon. But anytime dining just didn't feel the same (disorganized, rushed, different waitstaff each time, lacked the uniqueness of t.d.), and we were so glad to get traditional dining back the next cruise.

And yes, we're able to adjust our meals to fit our late traditional dining time that we preferred, often with a mid-afternoon nosh. Others preferred earlier times (like 5:30, some because that's the time they normally eat and perhaps because of acid reflux). My hubby now eats even earlier at home because he needs to go to bed by 8 or 8:30 so he can get to work on time.

So for the poster who feels it's ridiculous for us Americans to eat early, I equate that with those who can't believe that people have food allergies (yes, there has been a few people here who don't understand that concept).

And no, we have never, ever tried to crash the anytime dining room if we get back to the ship late or otherwise miss our seating time. Those times we head to the Horizon.

But definitely one thing I don't want to do on vacation is to sit on the phone waiting to make a reservation. At least with traditional, that's not needed.

For the OP, if they decide they want traditional, they need to get in touch with the TA now as there may already be a waitlist.

Jim, get a grip! Take a cold shower! I read and reread wowzz's post and certainly did NOT take offense the way you did. I do not believe he/she was trying to belittle anyone but merely stating that Europeans have different eating habits than North Americans. You seems to think that the poster was targeting you personally. They were just making a comment and you decided to fire your flame thrower. Ease up!

Thanks for the support Diver. Has no-one else heard the phrase 'tongue in cheek'? And as for being judgmental, I was merely pointing out that Europeans generally ate later than North Americans, which I think we can all agree on. Personally I hate eating at 11 at night, but sometimes you have to fall in with local customs.

At the end of the day, it's just as well that we all have our own preferences. If we all wanted to eat at the same time, the MDR queues would be really long.

Bon Appetit!

The first night was well over an hour wait for Anytime due to the fact that Princess takes the other Anytime Dining Room for Traditional until around 7:30.

Yes, Princess using one of the Anytime Dining rooms to accommodate the overflow of Traditional Dining Early Seating until 7:30 causes lines for the remaining Anytime Dining room . :-(

Guess what. All those people in the overflow early traditional dining room want to eat early. If the dining room was not dedicated to an early traditional, then all those people would be joining you on line in order to eat early in the evening which would be their choice for anytime.

Result would be the same, a long wait once two anytime dining rooms fill up early.

Sorry for jumping in and asking this question but what if you're confirmed for a traditional dining time but due to an excursion, will be late for dinner? Do you then just show up late or follow the lines to the ATD? Thanks!

The evening before ask your headwaiter what you should do.

Chances are he will say one of the following (depending on when your excursions ends).

o It is OK to come a little late to your scheduled time.

o If you want, you can attend the late seating.

o You have permission to use an anytime dining room that evening.

By the way, if this is a port where many excursions run into the normally scheduled early dining times, then the traditional dining room will be anytime that evening. You use the same dining room when you can get there, but will likely have a different table and waitstaff than normal. You will be told this the evening before.

The evening before ask your headwaiter what you should do.

Chances are he will say one of the following (depending on when your excursions ends).

o It is OK to come a little late to your scheduled time.

o If you want, you can attend the late seating.

o You have permission to use an anytime dining room that evening.

By the way, if this is a port where many excursions run into the normally scheduled early dining times, then the traditional dining room will be anytime that evening. You use the same dining room when you can get there, but will likely have a different table and waitstaff than normal. You will be told this the evening before.

Thanks very much for the advice!

Thanks for the support Diver. Has no-one else heard the phrase 'tongue in cheek'? And as for being judgmental, I was merely pointing out that Europeans generally ate later than North Americans, which I think we can all agree on. Personally I hate eating at 11 at night, but sometimes you have to fall in with local customs.

At the end of the day, it's just as well that we all have our own preferences. If we all wanted to eat at the same time, the MDR queues would be really long.

Bon Appetit!

If your post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, I owe you an apology. I took it at face value. Please accept my apology.

Jim

We just returned from northbound trip on Coral with anytime dining. We have used this in the past and really enjoyed it, we did not enjoy it as much this time, but with such a busy schedule on an Alaskan trip it is still more convenient. A couple of nights the wait was loooooong, didn't matter if we wanted a table for two or willing to sit with a group. We didn't wait and returned later. Other nights the wait was 10 -15 minutes. IMO the idea of reservations for anytime dining doesn't make any sense. All in all it didn't matter since we didn't go on this trip for the food.

We just returned from northbound trip on Coral with anytime dining. We have used this in the past and really enjoyed it, we did not enjoy it as much this time, but with such a busy schedule on an Alaskan trip it is still more convenient. A couple of nights the wait was loooooong, didn't matter if we wanted a table for two or willing to sit with a group. We didn't wait and returned later. Other nights the wait was 10 -15 minutes. IMO the idea of reservations for anytime dining doesn't make any sense. All in all it didn't matter since we didn't go on this trip for the food.

Sorry to hear this, thanks for the info. :(

Dinner at 5:30???????? If you have lunch at 1:00 and afternoon tea at 4:00 how can you possibly be hungry at 5:30? I assume you must want to eat supper at 8:30, when I am just sitting down to dinner.

I think the idea of dining so early is a particularly North American trait. I can't think of any European country where dinner would be eaten so early. Living in Spain it was quite normal for us to be eating dinner at 11:00.

LOL, you are funny. For lunch, I had a small salad.:D Do not do afternoon tea. When we worked we were lucky to be home by 7pm. Take out was usually our choice. We had lots of good restaurants in our area. Or leftovers in the microwave. :eek:

Just because we sat down at 5:30 didn't mean we ate at 5:30. There is always the prerequisite cocktail/wine and chat with our friends. I would say the actual dinner was not served until well after 6pm. When in North America, do as the North Americans do. LOL

Oh, and wait until you get past Medicare age. Just sayin'. Things change.;)

We also eat dinner early. Actually 5:30 is a little late for us but we make due. :D

Of course we graze the buffet at 10:30 PM to see what we may have missed in the DR. ;)

I would never again get traditional dining. I am never on a set schedule while on a cruise and do not feel that I have to eat and see a show every night to get my moneys worth. We eat when we feel like it and if there is a wait we get a glass of wine and people watch in the Piazza.

It always seems to me that people who complain about anytime dining are people who never go out to eat on land except Mothers Day.

Dinner at 5:30???????? If you have lunch at 1:00 and afternoon tea at 4:00 how can you possibly be hungry at 5:30?

I'll have to introduce you to my brother...lunch when he feels like it, pizza around 4:00, dinner at 5:30. Dunno where he disappears to after dinner.

Some of us (me, before I retired) start work at 4:45AM, have lunch at 10:00 AM, dinner at 3:00 PM, and are in bed at 7:45 PM.

Steve

That may be the most judgmental diatribe I've seen in 5 years on Cruise Critic. What makes you think that everyone eats lunch at 1 and takes tea at 4? Is it just because you do? What makes you think everyone should act and feel the way you do?

Wow if that's the most judgmental diatribe you've seen in five years, you haven't been reading enough.

As to the topic at hand, the problem I see with Anytime Dining is that everyone on the ship wants to eat anytime at the same time. I used to swear by Traditional but the last few cruises have done Anytime Dining. I usually go to the dining room between 7:30 and 8:00 and have never had a wait. Even when asking for one of those coveted tables for 2. Maybe if people were a little more adventurous with dining times, there wouldn't be the rush and wait times earlier in the evening. And while making one of the Anytime Dining rooms traditional until 7:30 leaves fewer spots for the Anytime crowd, it is done to alleviate the complaints and demand for early Traditional.

I'm not sure what's wrong with going to the dining room and getting a pager then having a drink while your table is being readied...after all it is a cruise and relaxation is the main objective, but then I don't tend to have angst if I have to wait a bit either...

It always seems to me that people who complain about anytime dining are people who never go out to eat on land except Mothers Day.
I respectfully disagree. Everyone's experience is different but as I posted above, my experience with AT has been less than ideal. Even making a reservation for the same table at the same time meant very long waits, even longer on formal night. Making a reservation didn't help at all. Other times, I've called at 8am to make a reservation only to be told that reservations were full and they weren't taking any new reservations. All-in-all, a negative experience.

FYI, I go out to dinner several times a week. :)

huh? What's your rationale for that presumption? :rolleyes:

Wow if that's the most judgmental diatribe you've seen in five years, you haven't been reading enough.

As to the topic at hand, the problem I see with Anytime Dining is that everyone on the ship wants to eat anytime at the same time. I used to swear by Traditional but the last few cruises have done Anytime Dining. I usually go to the dining room between 7:30 and 8:00 and have never had a wait. Even when asking for one of those coveted tables for 2. Maybe if people were a little more adventurous with dining times, there wouldn't be the rush and wait times earlier in the evening. And while making one of the Anytime Dining rooms traditional until 7:30 leaves fewer spots for the Anytime crowd, it is done to alleviate the complaints and demand for early Traditional.

I'm not sure what's wrong with going to the dining room and getting a pager then having a drink while your table is being readied...after all it is a cruise and relaxation is the main objective, but then I don't tend to have angst if I have to wait a bit either...

BDJAM - I think you and I would get on fine, although I might prefer 2 or 3 drinks before dinner! As you say - relaxation is the main objective. I've been in restaurants in the US/Europe where customers have waited 20 minutes or more for a table, so why should they expect anything different on a cruise.

My view is that 'Anytime' means just that. if you feel like eating about 8, you go to the MDR at 7:45 and if you eat in the next hour you've got a result. Also, the later you eat, the less time there is before the B1G1F drinks promotion!