Zuiderdam or Coral?

MacGuffin

We will be doing a Panama Canal in 2016. Unfortunately we only have time for a partial transit. Can anyone offer any comparisons between the Coral Princess and Zuiderdam? They both have plusses and minuses. We have been on Princess and HAL and loved both. Coral: not crazy about the itinerary with only a few hours in the morning in Aruba, no private island, and have heard mixed reviews about Cartagena. We can't sail until after her February refit and are concerned about crowding with 200+ more passengers in dining, buffet, elevators and pools, and the reduced public space with the removal of the Universe Lounge and reconfigured library. We also love a wrap around promenade that will soon be gone, so Canal viewing areas will be decreased. However, in general the Coral gets great reviews, Princess is always clean and well maintained, and we love MUTS. As for the Zuiderdam, the itinerary is much better with Half Moon Cay, Curacao and a full day in Aruba and she has the promenade and no crowding. But she still gets mediocre reviews on plumbing and upkeep, even after her 2015 refit. Being on a rundown ship for 10+ days is a deal breaker. We were on the Westerdam in 2011 and while we loved it, she was a bit 'shabby chic' and we nick named her the Rustydam. Our other concern is with no MUTS and not much nightlife on HAL, our nights might be a little dull. Also, Panama Canal lectures, cultural presentations and the actual Canal experience will have a huge impact on our decision. Thanks in advance!!

I didn't reply on your Canal thread as it seems you have so many things already decided....

Have been on 8 HAL ships and 6 Princess ships, but not Coral or Zuiderdam (have been on Westerdam). I would never say HAL represents "shabby chic". HAL, IMHO represents subtle class, not all glitzy and Vegas-like some ships and cruise lines.

If I had your decision to make, it would be HAL.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Zuiderdam was the gaudiest ship I ever sailed and I did not find service or food very good. Not a favorite of mine.

Coral Princess has been wonderful for the four cruises we have enjoyed on her and we just finished up another nice Coral cruise. We did the full Panama transit in the Island a couple years ago and the lecture series was top notch on the canal itself. Princess fans are awaiting reviews of the enlarged Island.

I would suggest doing the full Panama Canal transit instead of the turn around trip in Gatun Lake.

Princess ships have more of a pulse and better buffet dining times than Holland America.

We did not enjoy the crowding in public areas on our one Princess experience and your post indicates concern with removal of public spaces on Coral. After being on Zuiderdam twice, if you decide to go with Zuiderdam - this is my advice.

Do NOT book the lowest deck. If you are a budget cruiser (nothing wrong with that!) book an inside forward on deck 7. We did that for the canal on Zuiderdam and it was a super spot as when they opened the forward viewing area in the canal we were nearby. (Of course, no guarantee the captain will open these areas...)

If you book verandahs (or higher) just book a higher deck and forward.

It seems plumbing issues are in general LOW and AFT. Book high and forward. Last month we were low and forward - no plumbing issues but sometimes an unpleasant smell in the hall. Never had that on the higher decks.

Take the Embrea Indian Village excursion in Panama - we had a blast and it was the best "Ships tour" we've taken anywhere.

But if MUTS is a major consideration then you have to do the Coral. Avoid the first sailing after a dry dock for certain!

Hope this helps!

We did a partial PC last Nov. on the Zuiderdam (Z). Loved the ship and especially the crew! Best crew we have experienced.

We were lucky enough to get an aft-wrap on deck 5 - IMO the best cabin on the ship for viewing the Canal operations.

The ship was in very good overall condition and we did not hear any complaints about the plumbing. It did get hot some days, but we just shut the drapes and that cooled it down.

But if MUTS is a major consideration then you have to do the Coral.

Is it just me, or does taking your date to the Drive In Movies sound more romantic than "MUTS?"

Was there a meeting?

"We have to improve on the movie-going experience where you hang the speaker from your window."

"You betcha JB! "

"We'll put it on a cruise ship."

"Go on.... I'm listening."

"We'll show movies.... Under the stars!"

My, God, That's pure genius! What are you going to call it? "Hollywood under the Heavens?" "Movies Beneath the Milky Way?"

"Cinema on the High Seas?"

"No, JB. We're going to call it 'MUTS'."

"By Grathbar's Hammer Smithers, that's brilliant! It's your best work since the Pontiac Aztec!"

Another vote for Zuiderdam and I totally agree about the Embera Village tour. We enjoyed the ship and fabulous crew so much that we booked an 11 day Mediterranean cruise for September on Zuiderdam again.:p

We were on the cruise (4-14-15) that was right after the dry dock refit. They added cabins on the 10th deck right behind the Crow's Nest along with replacing carpet in most public areas along with furniture in a number of the lunges and MDR. Most of which were not the gaudy colors from past years. We were told they replaced a lot of older plumbing in nth ship. There was some problems in some cabins with the plumbing, hot water and electricity. We felt they addressed those problems in a timely manner. We had not problems with our cabin.

The staff we felt were the best, friendly personable and always with smiles even from staff that we normally had no contact with. During the cruise we received an emergency call from our son and found out that my wife's mother had passed away back home unexpectedly. That HAL staff stepped up with free phone calls home when ever we needed. We received a condolences flower basket from the front desk in our cabin and a number of the staff and officers checked on us to see how we were doing during thru remaining cruise. They were the best! The staff on HAL ships are why we continue to cruise with HAL.

We found the quality of the ship to be on the same level as other HAL ships that we have cruised on. I would not hesitate to book another cruise on the Zuiderdam any time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The Zuiderdam gets great feedback on these boards as opposed to the maim review site. That's encouraging! We enjoyed our cruises on Nieuw ans Wester, even though she was a bit run down when we were on her. Any one have pictures or links to the new Zuiderdam and westerdam interiors? And the first feedback about the IslanD Princess refit sounds like wobbly vibrating cabins. Sounds like we'll have to live without must!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The Zuiderdam gets great feedback on these boards as opposed to the maim review site. That's encouraging! We enjoyed our cruises on Nieuw ans Wester, even though she was a bit run down when we were on her. Any one have pictures or links to the new Zuiderdam and westerdam interiors? And the first feedback about the IslanD Princess refit sounds like wobbly vibrating cabins. Sounds like we'll have to live without must!!

Here is my photographic tour of the Westerdam from July 2014 in Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-westerdam-tour/

Edited by Crew News

?.. Any one have pictures or links to the new Zuiderdam and westerdam interiors? And the first feedback about the IslanD Princess refit sounds like wobbly vibrating cabins. Sounds like we'll have to live without must!!

There were photos posted on this forum within the past few weeks, so you might try a search. The new decor looked beautiful.

We've booked on of the new Observation Deck verandahs for a partial transit next April. I figured that would be a good location up high for canal viewing.

Glad to read these positive comments.

Back in 2010 I had to decide between Coral and Zuiderdam for a partial transit. I opted for Coral because it was $400 less, which for me covered my airfare and pre-cruise hotel. I had never been on Princess and had a wonderful cruise. I'm so glad I got to visit Cartagena, but I would advise sticking with a ship's excursion. There's a lot of history of there and a lot to see and do, but vendors and panhandlers can be overbearing.

That said, I've been on Zuiderdam 3 times and haven't encountered any of the problems you mentioned. If prices were equal, I would go with Zuiderdam simply because I agree with that they have a better itinerary.

With all due respect, reading the litany of issues you have with both lines and ships, I don't either one will satisfy you.

Roz

We took this trip on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. I felt the ship was rundown. The Lido and veranda furniture looked like it should be in a dumpster IMO. The ship had major AC and plumbing problems. I would not take a chance on this ship.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

We took this trip on the Zuiderdam a few years ago. I felt the ship was rundown. The Lido and veranda furniture looked like it should be in a dumpster IMO. The ship had major AC and plumbing problems. I would not take a chance on this ship.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

A lot can change in two years. We spent two weeks on Zuiderdam in 2014 and everything was great. We heard a few say that there was occasionally a delay of a few seconds when they pressed the button for flush their toilet, but that was it. The ship was in great shape and had a stellar staff.

I heard that in the last dry dock a lot of plumbing was replaced and I'm not hearing about issues anymore. Have heard nothing lately about A/C issues.

For us the best cabins for a canal trip are the aft wrap suites. The two on deck 5 (5190 and 5191) have HUGE fully covered verandas to keep you out of the heat. You could get 30 or more people on the balconies. Best part about deck 5 wraps is that they are very private- no one above can see into the balcony.

Is it just me, or does taking your date to the Drive In Movies sound more romantic than "MUTS?"

Was there a meeting?

"We have to improve on the movie-going experience where you hang the speaker from your window."

"You betcha JB! "

"We'll put it on a cruise ship."

"Go on.... I'm listening."

"We'll show movies.... Under the stars!"

My, God, That's pure genius! What are you going to call it? "Hollywood under the Heavens?" "Movies Beneath the Milky Way?"

"Cinema on the High Seas?"

"No, JB. We're going to call it 'MUTS'."

"By Grathbar's Hammer Smithers, that's brilliant! It's your best work since the Pontiac Aztec!"

That's why I post here so infrequently. A lot of these folks are "Muts" .