Last-minute Reminders!

Odile

We're 10 days out from cruising, 4 days out from beginning the driving portion of our trip.

What should I be panicking about making sure I do before we leave?

You shouldn't be panicking at all....assuming you've made your lists and checked them twice!

Stop mail and paper...pay bills...notify your credit card companies that you'll be out of the country... turn off the water to your washing machine....unplug stuff...

Make your house look lived in -- timers, a car parked in the driveway. If there's some reliable teens, give them some money to take out and in trashcans on collection day, make sure newspapers and anything else (leave behinds by sales people, etc) are picked up and not lying on your driveway or porch.

We're 10 days out from cruising, 4 days out from beginning the driving portion of our trip.

Nothing.

Panicking leads to mistakes.

Just make sure you have you documents and your money and your clothes, nothing else really matters.

Arrangements for mail etc???

I make appointments using the calendar on my cell phone to remind me of all the things I need to get done. That way I don't need to go crazy and do everything last minute.

I find it a great stress releaver.

Think of three areas to have organized:

1. home Are arrangements made to have it looked after? Notify banks about your travel so transactions with credit or debit cards are not stopped.

2. packing - have paperwork checked and rechecked. Set aside a spot to put everything you plan to take. Take photos as you pack and have a checklist

3 in the clouds - email yourself copies of passports, important paperwork, copies of itinerary, addresses for emergencies (including banking emergencies)

Not necessarily in this order:

Stop Mail.

Confirmation of all hotel/air/transportation reservations.

Documents (cruise/air/hotel/passport/ID/travel insurance) in carry-on.

Cash (including small bills or tips (Taxi/porters/room service)

Notify bank/credit card companies.

Notify next-door neighbor and give spare key.

Pet confirmation/instructions and supplies (food/treats)

Car (if traveling by car have everything checked)

Rx and OTC meds in carry on.

Wine (if driving) in carry on.

Clothes to/from dry cleaner.

Check off list for clothes, shoes, toiletries

Clean out fridge and all garbage to outside can.

I also have to have the bed linens washed and on the bed and the house cleaned top to bottom. I have something we can eat so I don't have to run to the grocery right away unless I stop to grab milk at a small store near the lady who keeps our dogs. I always leave an air freshener out so that the house doesn't smell stale when we return.

As others have said, passports and cash. That is it for me. This assures I get on the ship and anything I forgot I can buy.

They go in my camera bag that is never out of my sight. Also throw in wallet with credit cards.

One other thing I do before locking up the house, I turn off the water at the main source.

Really there are only about 3 things that you MUST take (anything else you forget you can easily buy either before boarding the ship or in port).

The three things are:

1. Appropriate travel documents - this is usually a passport but might be your DL and BC. Don't worry about cruise documents, you can always find a library and redownload them, or better yet take electronic copies on your tablet or phone.
  2. Money and/or credit cards
  3. Prescription medications

Take those things and you are good to go!

Not necessarily in this order:

Stop Mail.

Confirmation of all hotel/air/transportation reservations.

Documents (cruise/air/hotel/passport/ID/travel insurance) in carry-on.

Cash (including small bills or tips (Taxi/porters/room service)

Notify bank/credit card companies.

Notify next-door neighbor and give spare key.

Pet confirmation/instructions and supplies (food/treats)

Car (if traveling by car have everything checked)

Rx and OTC meds in carry on.

Wine (if driving) in carry on.

Clothes to/from dry cleaner.

Check off list for clothes, shoes, toiletries

Clean out fridge and all garbage to outside can.

I also have to have the bed linens washed and on the bed and the house cleaned top to bottom. I have something we can eat so I don't have to run to the grocery right away unless I stop to grab milk at a small store near the lady who keeps our dogs. I always leave an air freshener out so that the house doesn't smell stale when we return.

NEVER stop your mail or newspaper. Carriers may change (even temporarily) and you have no basis for trusting that stranger with knowledge of how long you will be gone.

Have whoever will check on your home pick up mail and newspapers.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer