Tendering in Santorini, do the open tenders take you to either the port or Cable car?

A Sixth?

Non tour tenders just go to the cable car tender dock.

Thanks.... there are well over 7000 potential passengers on 4 cruise ships when we're there and that cable car isn't up to those sort of numbers as I recall....

Sadly (gladly? :p ) Santorini is our only stop where we share the port with any other cruise ship.... not a good spot for a crowd. :o

we had 4 ships in port...ours was the smallest so the line up for the tenders back to the ship were smaller....we normally take the cable car up and walk back down to take pictures.....if you get off the ship early the people going on tours should mean manageable crowd going up

good luck

We were on Santorini last week, and the cable cars were not running in the afternoon, due to high winds. We walked down, which was quite an adventure, since there were many donkeys going both up and down, and there was a light rain, so the steps were slippery. Most donkeys would see us and move over, but one brushed up against us. My wife said she heard the lady riding the donkey talking to it in French, but we doubt the donkey was bilingual. The path also had a lot of donkey droppings.

Here are some pics from Santorini last week. The cable car was closed for a while due to winds. A lady broke her leg using the footpath..... we'd had rain too so the path was very slippery. Cruise ship tours get first tenders. What many did was pick up a local service from the pier... 8 euros to take a boat to Oia, ride up to the village and bus back. You then have the option of taking the windy path down or the cable car for 5 euros.

I've not posted these to the blog yet!! Just 2 ships in port.

How the windy path looks from a tender

DSCN5337.jpg

The line for the cable car around 11am.... it moved quite quickly

DSCN5138.jpg

DSCN5139.jpg

DSCN5142.jpg

There are vendors on the dock offering tours

DSCN5140.jpg

DSCN5157.jpg

Happy to answer questions.

Thank you for the photos and info. I have been trying to find information on the boat journey from the dock to Oia and then bus back to Fira for our Santorini stop in Sept. Some members had posted that the boat to Oia was not currently running - I hope it is operational later in the season. Was the bus journey easy to fathom out? I like to have some idea of how to plan the day and your option with either cable car or walk back down would be ideal.

Thanks

...What many did was pick up a local service from the pier... 8 euros to take a boat to Oia, ride up to the village and bus back. You then have the option of taking the windy path down or the cable car for 5 euros.

That's a good tip! I think I'll do that.

We did a fabulous private tour in santorini, with SAFOWI (santorini food and wine) we visited local vineyards, had wine tasting, then went to a restaurant on Kamari beach called nicheteri, which is michelin starred greek food, we had greek cookery lesson and a lunch to die for. (With more wine) :D

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Last time I was in Santorini was getting off a cruise ship, the one you can see settled on the bottom of the basin there :eek: (true story... but we were't on "that" cruise)

Think we'll wing it and hire a cab to the excavation and see what's what from there.

I arranged via http://www.santoriniprivatetours.com for a private ferry from the Fira port to the new port Athinios. We were a party of 14 and the cost was 100EUR each way, about 7eur each. We avoided the cable car in both directions and it worked like a dream.

Our tour was about 5hours which visited all around the island, saw the sunset in Oia before returning back to Athinios for our boat to the cruise tender pickup point. We wereon the Reflection in late September 2013.

Last time I was in Santorini was getting off a cruise ship, the one you can see settled on the bottom of the basin there :eek: (true story... but we were't on "that" cruise)

Think we'll wing it and hire a cab to the excavation and see what's what from there.

Be aware that the site closes at 2pm, sometimes the opening / closing times are unpredictable and it is closed all day, afterall it is Greece !

Rent a car, it's so easy to drive. We got a car for 40 euro, cheaper than taxi

Rent a car, it's so easy to drive. We got a car for 40 euro, cheaper than taxi

Great idea, who'd you rent from? How easy was it to find them / where do you pick the car up - drop it off? Did you arrange it ahead of time or just show up... wait, 7000 passengers... I hope there are cars available! :p

I just couldn't imagine doing that walk as a senior, or a bit out of shape junior! The path is slippery even without rain, and then you have to watch for the donkey droppings and the donkeys seem to have right of way - yuck! And those donkeys are dusty! double Yuck!!!