Best Places to buy souvenirs on southbound cruise

bballm

It really depends on what you want. IF you want true made in AK souvenirs you need to look carefully. You can find them on Creek St. in Ketchikan, or in Juneau. If you go to Sitka great Russian souvenirs. IF you want the run of the mill stuff that is made in China then Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan is the way to go.

We will be traveling on the Radiance southbound in a few weeks. Where are the best places with the best prices to buy souvenirs.
Is there much difference for Northbound cruisers? Amazon is handy when you forget something.

We will be traveling on the Radiance southbound in a few weeks. Where are the best places with the best prices to buy souvenirs.

Trust me, there is no shortage of souvenir shops. You'll find them easily. This past recent Alaskan cruise, I didn't buy anything - couldn't bring myself to purchase the silly items with "China" stamped on them. *sigh* (obviously, just my opinion).

I will be on the Grand Princess visiting Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Any suggestions on where to buy smaller wood carvings at reasonable, won't break the bank, prices. (No made in China stuff for me if I can avoid it.)

Thanks

I agree with Sherryf about Soho Coho and glacier soaps. There are specific stamps on items to identify if it was made in Alaska. Check online if you need to see what it looks like. I had checked out some of the places with Alaskan artists works and picked up some prints and had them sent home. I had them framed at home and they are a wonderful reminder of Alaska and my most favorite vacation.

Another vote for Glacier Smoothie Soap located in a small log cabin just north of the pier. It has been on my shopping list for the past seven years in Alaska. All of the soap is made in their family home in Juneau and presented in nice little cloth bags.

Anyone been to the Anchorage weekend market -- I am thinking that it will be a good souvenir place.

Excellent choice. If you are in Anchorage and want crafts made by native Alaskans, check out the gift shop at the native hospital on Tudor.

There are specific stamps on items to identify if it was made in Alaska. Check online if you need to see what it looks like.

I suspect that this reference is to the Made in Alaska permit program. This program is sponsored by our Department of Commerce, and the permit logo is posted on their website (http://www.commerce.state.ak.us).

A similar program identifies art made by Native (i.e. First People) Alaskan artists (http://www.eed.state.ak.us). The logo for this program is a silver hand.

Northern Aurora makes an excellent point, I would estimate that 80% or more of the souvenirs that you are going find in the shops are made offshore, like many of the cheap totem poles are made in molds in China. So if you want something that is authentically Alaskan look for the signs and the decals.