John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

Embarkation and debarkation are stressful for many, not because of the procedures, but because of their own timetables and interests. I am never stressed the last morning because I don't carry my own luggage or attempt to leave the ship before anyone else does. I'm always in the last wave to debark and have oodles of time to complete my morning tasks like eating and relaxing and people watching the thousands of stressed out individuals.

If "liquor" pick-up adds to stress...just don't buy it. Its a simple concept.

If you want to live in a fantasy world where Carnival makes no mistakes that's fine. I prefer to call them out when I think their policies are ludicrous.

If you are right and Carnival has made this change to save valuable manpower then distributing the liquor on the last night of the cruise would make more sense because on debarkation day everyone (passengers and crew) are very, very busy. If I must pick up my booze in the morning, I just won't buy it. I'm not against picking up the booze myself. I just believe the time is wrong

I agree. I would be fine if we could pick up the booze the night before, say after 8PM. That would give me time to pack it in my suitcase and have it outside my cabin for pick up. I have never opened up a bottle to drink in my room. I won't be buying liquor onboard anymore if Carnival enforces this rule. I can only imagine the chaos of people in customs or even on the ship with their suitcases opened and stuff spread everywhere trying to pack their booze.

Do you seriously believe this?

Yes I do! Unless someone can give me empirical proof that those receiving their liquor on the last night have a gigantic impact on the sales of booze elsewhere on the ship it is just speculation. For many there seems to be a need to cast the cruiseline in the role of villain....someone out to make life miserable for the little minions of the world.

In the grand scheme of things I just don't understand how basic economics have become the wicked tools used to make passenger's lives miserable. If I was upset at a cruiseline making a profit I just wouldn't travel with them. You know if the cruiseline wanted they could restrict anyone from bringing alcohol purchased at the ports for later distribution. They are providing a service....and it is the cruiseline's choice as to how that "service" will be handled.

I agree. I would be fine if we could pick up the booze the night before, say after 8PM. That would give me time to pack it in my suitcase and have it outside my cabin for pick up. I have never opened up a bottle to drink in my room. I won't be buying liquor onboard anymore if Carnival enforces this rule. I can only imagine the chaos of people in customs or even on the ship with their suitcases opened and stuff spread everywhere trying to pack their booze.

Will you buy it at the ports where Carnival makes no "profit" on the sales? It's way cheaper than that sold in the fun-shops.

Silly question: do people really cruise just to purchase booze and is the few dollars saved worth the hassle?

Yes I do! Unless someone can give me empirical proof that those receiving their liquor on the last night have a gigantic impact on the sales of booze elsewhere on the ship it is just speculation. For many there seems to be a need to cast the cruiseline in the role of villain....someone out to make life miserable for the little minions of the world.

In the grand scheme of things I just don't understand how basic economics have become the wicked tools used to make passenger's lives miserable. If I was upset at a cruiseline making a profit I just wouldn't travel with them. You know if the cruiseline wanted they could restrict anyone from bringing alcohol purchased at the ports for later distribution. They are providing a service....and it is the cruiseline's choice as to how that "service" will be handled.

Obviously no data will exist until this policy unfolds.

Logic tells me that people will not want to add the time to go wait on line to collect their liquor carry it off the ship (if bags already collected) and than have to repack luggage.

People will do it once and than realize it just aint worth the hassle to save a few bucks..

Will you buy it at the ports where Carnival makes no "profit" on the sales? It's way cheaper than that sold in the fun-shops.

Silly question: do people really cruise just to purchase booze and is the few dollars saved worth the hassle?

You didn't ask me, but is it alright if I answer? lol.

As I've stated, we purchase bottles both in the port and in the fun shops. The purchases onboard are purely just to save a little bit on the cost. We do try to buy things in the ports that we can't find at home. So for us, it's a mix.

If we can't get the bottles home, then we won't buy them. It won't be a matter of protest. If I can't get them home, then I'm not going to buy them. Common sense. And I'm not going to haphazardly pack bottles in a rush at a port or in an airport. I would rather take my time doing it like I've been doing ever since they stopped you from bringing them as carry ons. The only thing that would help me personally is if we take the train down, which we have done many times. Still, Amtrak's official policy prohibits bottles in overhead or carry-on luggage over a certain size. So to me this is not a nominal issue. Carnival needs to ensure people can pack their goods.

And to answer your question, no I don't cruise to buy booze. However it is something my spouse and I like to shop for when we travel to the caribbean. Now please tell me what exactly is wrong with that or with wanting to be able to pack glass bottles in your luggage as required?

Sorry that you cannot understand why this is such an issue.

People will adjust by not buying anymore liquor from the ships.

I don't agree! People will adjust, just like they did when the airlines prohibited the bottles in or as a carry-on. The majority of the millions of cruisers will adjust. The ones that don't are just spiting themselves.

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

I don't agree! People will adjust, just like they did when the airlines prohibited the bottles in or as a carry-on. The majority of the millions of cruisers will adjust. The ones that don't are just spiting themselves.

Time will tell.

Dont see how doing what is best for my family at the end of a cruise is spiting myself.

Cruisers will adjust, just that I and many others think the adjustment will be to stop bringing home booze.

Am I the only one, or does anyone else on these boards notice that whenever Carnival implements a new policy that is not well receieved, it is always the same posters that defend these said policies?

Makes me wonder how many of them are simply Carnival employees paid to downplay and take up their side of these policy changes... :rolleyes:

Am I the only one, or does anyone else on these boards notice that whenever Carnival implements a new policy that is not well receieved, it is always the same posters that defend these said policies?

Makes me wonder how many of them are simply Carnival employees paid to downplay and take up their side of these policy changes... :rolleyes:

No you are not the only one. I don't know that they are employees but certainly cheerleaders....

On our last cruise we did the Everglades/transport to the airport. We had to be off ship pretty early, like 8:00. I just don't know how I would have picked up my booze, found my luggage, re packed right there in the terminal to make sure my booze didn't break on the way home, and got to the shuttle. Either way, I wouldn't want the hassle of picking it up the last morning or repackaging. I won't be buying because the savings isn't worth the hassle. Period.

Edited by kona_wahine

if they give you a claim ticket that matches the booze you dropped off at the 'liquor table' in port I think this makes sense and will support it. It will make the process for dropping off the liquor that much easier after a long day at the port (assuming you don't buy it from a store that delivers it to the ship)...I use the liquor check for a different reason, but that is an entirely different thread that I don't need to create that sh!t storm on this one...

Honestly, after the 'liquid ban' from DHS and TSA went into place, my liquor purchases have declined dramatically. I've only ever driven to a port once out of a dozen or so cruises. I'm not a huge fan of expensive bottles of liquor in my checked bags. I've done it on occasion, but not a habit as it was when I could carry on a 'six pack' from AH Rise and toss it under the seat on the bird. So, if changes to revenue were a result of a change, it was one that was outside of CCL's control in my case.

By spiting themselves, I mean: some like to purchase island alcohol and get the discounted pricing on the ship. If they don't make the adjustment, they will not enjoy their usual purchases. I, myself like to do these purchases at times. If I really want to have it, I will adjust to this change.

That's all I'm saying, not trying to insinuate what's best for anyone's family. Where that came from I'm not sure.

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

I love conspiracy theorists. If someone looks at a policy as making a certain amount of sense and can see its benefits instead of its disadvantage (that only impact a few) that is more about common sense than "cheerleading". And, conversely, if we are into conspiracies, whose to say that those who ridicule and are upset by policy changes aren't plants who rabble-rouse to put Carnival in a bad light since the same folks criticizing every Carnival change are habitually doing so on every thread.

This is an opinion forum with the privilege of presenting everyone's ideas. It becomes sad when some people become intimidated or extremely defensive and resort to the "cheerleader" comment when they feel their views aren't winning the argument when in fact there is never a true winner.

This isn't really a new policy as they have been doing it for a long time (at least 4+ years) on sailings with a lot of 16-20 yr olds (spring break and some Christmas cruises). Every time, I have had no problem picking up liquor and it is pretty quick. My guess is that sales aren't really going to be hurt that much for the CCL shop and they don't really care about anything else.

I love conspiracy theorists. If someone looks at a policy as making a certain amount of sense and can see its benefits instead of its disadvantage (that only impact a few) that is more about common sense than "cheerleading". And, conversely, if we are into conspiracies, whose to say that those who ridicule and are upset by policy changes aren't plants who rabble-rouse to put Carnival in a bad light since the same folks criticizing every Carnival change are habitually doing so on every thread.

This is an opinion forum with the privilege of presenting everyone's ideas. It becomes sad when some people become intimidated or extremely defensive and resort to the "cheerleader" comment when they feel their views aren't winning the argument when in fact there is never a true winner.

My goodness, did I strike a nerve?

Can you please show me where in my post I use the term "cheerleader"? You are grouping someone elses post into mine. Nor was I ridiculing anyone or acting "defensive" in any way. We all know that Carnival monitors these boards, and I simply asked if anyone else thought that maybe they had a few "plants" in here to support their policy changes. It happens in most walks of life.

If you look at my signature, you will notice that I exclusively cruise Carnival. I have no need to "put them in a bad light". I just merely asked the obvious... Have a good day.

I agree that you don't need to be a Carnival employee plant to agree with them on most things. That's a stretch. Conversely, you're not a REBEL rouser if you disagree with them sometimes. So name calling in either regard is inaccurate and completely unnecessary.

For the record, there are few things I take issue with regarding Carnival. However this is an impractical policy that needs to be reexamined. John Heald posted on his page today that it won't apply to those using luggage express. That's fine and dandy, but the crux of the issue still applies for anyone else. That's still alot of people. Luggage express is an exclusive and paid-for benefit that doesn't apply to most sailings.

....or the opposite.

No you are not the only one. I don't know that they are employees but certainly cheerleaders....

.....and bashers and they offset, sometimes even with good points on boths side. It is what makes this place work.