River Cruising Questions Galore

ILoveScotland

I have taken several ocean cruises and loved them, but my new husband is not interested in an ocean cruise at all although to humor me he'd probably do one Caribbean cruise. However, yesterday he said he'd consider a river cruise, that he thought he would like that.

I've never particularly been interested in river cruising and know little although I've seen ads, etc. I'm particularly interested in European river cruises and have looked at itineraries and know what would appeal to us, so that's not a concern. Right now we plan to go to Normandy sometime in the summer of 2016, but I think we'll do that on our own. A river cruise would be pre or post Normandy.

So... questions: 1) number of passengers, 2) dress code, 3) time in each port, 4) cabins - windows, small balconies, size, etc., 5) food, 6) lounges and 7) entertainment.

I haven't been on CC in a while but think I remember that I can't ask for recommendations for specific cruise companies. But, I can ask what experiences you've had that were good and which ones were not so good with reasons why.

I should add that my husband and I are in our early 70s and active to some extent - no running of marathons, but no couch potatoes, either.

Well, that's a lot. Pick and choose among my questions, because I'll welcome any tidbits and information.

1). Usually around 150-160

2) no formal nights, dressy casual for dinner

3). Usually a morning or afternoon, sometimes overnight

4). All of those you mentioned

5). Yes they have food

6). At least one on each ship

7). No big productions (thank goodness)

Suggest you do some research as all of this information is available on cruise line websites.

Scenic

Uniworld

AMA

Viking

Welcome (back) to Cruise Critic! You can ask (or posters can suggest even if you don't) for recommendations of specific cruise lines -- what you (and they) can't do is discuss specific Travel Agents. You should get lots of advice about the river cruise lines in answer to your questions! You should start by reading the Sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!! at the top of this forum -- I have compiled lots of good information that will answer many of your questions and give you the names and reputations of almost all the river cruise lines that market to the US. There's a downloadable PDF that the Cruise Critic editors put together which compares each river cruise line to an ocean cruise line and a hotel chain -- which should help you get a sense of which lines will most appeal to you based on your own experience. Then you can zero in on specific questions.

questions:

1) number of passengers, - depends on size of boat which depends on river & lock restrictions. <200

2) dress code -whatever you're comfortable in

3) time in each port, - depends on itinery, Port is a grand word, they moor at side of river and you walk off often straight into the town centre

4) cabins - windows, small balconies, size, etc., - depends on cruise line and which class of cabin you book

5) food, - has exceeded my expectations, plenty of choice. And free wine/beer/soft drinks

6) lounges - yep - remember there's always something to see on both sides of the ship.

7) entertainment.- yes, but low key. There's no shows like you get on oceons. Resident pianist, local singers/dancers come on board, demonstrations of local crafts, making local food specialities etc. And make your own by visiting the paces where you're moored

Suggest you get some brochures, see what's on offer from various companies, read the info here then come back with specific questions re the trips/companies you are considering.

My Wife and I took the Normandy cruise on the Ama Legro in September/October of 2013. It was an outstanding trip with great food and service and wonderful sightseeing stops. The American Cometary at Normandy was awe inspiring. Claude Monet's home and gardens were very beautiful also. Honfleur and the Apple Festival at Caux-de-bec were great also. We had grat tour guides

I'm particularly interested in European river cruises and have looked at itineraries and know what would appeal to us, so that's not a concern. Right now we plan to go to Normandy sometime in the summer of 2016, but I think we'll do that on our own. A river cruise would be pre or post Normandy.

I added a new Sticky last night with links to many Cruise Critic articles about River Cruise Basics broken out by itinerary. There's an article about France, and more specific ones about the Seine, Bordeaux, and the Rhone. There are also some Rhine or Danube itineraries that start in Paris. Of course you can easily take a train or plane from Paris to the start of almost any European river cruise.

The replies above just about cover all your questions except 1. number of passengers.

I have only traveled with Tauck and their Jewell class boats carry a maximum of 118 passengers and their new inspire class a maximum of 130 passengers. When you compare that with the Scenic Space ships, same size as the Tauck Insipre class, and their balconies (my sister is about to experience them in just on a month's time) Scenic carry 169 passengers. It has been reported that Viking carry around 200 passengers.

I thought my last Tauck cruise and it's 118 passengers was very cosy and for the like of me I cannot imagine where you squeeze the extra passengers in. Plus I also imaging that it would take considerably longer to serve dinner.

River cruising can become addictive and I'm pretty sure that no matter what company you choose you and your DH will have a great time.

Actually answered in post #2 and #7.

But #2 was simply wrong (most are slightly more than that post suggested, some less), and #7 didn't really give much information.

Looking quickly through a few ship descriptions from the various companies, I've found:

Tauck 118 - 130 (not sure why they are so few, as their cabin sizes are smaller than the average - must have larger public spaces, or smaller ships)

Avalon 128 - 166

Viking - 190

Arosa - 186

Uniworld - 132 - 159

Ama 148-164

Croisi 154 - 180

Scenic - 169

I don't think it was inaccurate of me to say that the number of passengers depends on the ship..

anyway

It is very simple to find out the maximum number of passengers on a boat, at least on Viking, as they show deck plans in their brochures and on their website showing the cabins. Just multiply the number of cabins by 2.

So Viking Delling, my next cruise has 95 cabins = 190 passengers max

My most recent, Viking Forsetti, Bordeaux, has 95 cabins = 190 passengers

Viking Hemming on the Douro has 69 cabins = 138 passengers max

Viking Sun, on the Rhine has 99 cabins = 190 passengers max

Viking Odin on the Danube has 95 cabins = 190 passengers max

In Asia Viking Mandalay has just 28 cabins, whereas on the Yangtze Viking Emerald carries 256 pax.

I see that posts are being deleted these days. That's something new for the RC section of CC.

Just to clarify the question about Tauck and the number on board. If you look at the specs of their various classes you will see e.g. that their inspire class is almost identical in size to the Scenic Space ships yet carry less passengers and similar comparisons can be made to AMA and the others. Tauck does have spacious public areas and at no times, even with a full boat, do you have to look for a seat.

I see that posts are being deleted these days. That's something new for the RC section of CC.

Two posts were deleted at the request of the poster. I then had to do a little clean-up of posts quoting those. Not a change in policy -- I have always tried to be very responsive to requests from posters to delete or edit their own posts. [And I even look the other way for certain references to management policies and procedures. ;)]

Like many of us on this forum, I appreciate Host Jazzbeau's flexible approach to posts.

Her suggestion of the practical worth of reading the sticky's (stickies??) is most sensible.

One suggestion that I might respectfully make to Cruise Critic regarding the very useful summary in the sticky, "New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!!", would be to use a different photo on the title page. Somehow, it doesn't seem quite appropriate to use a photo of the Houses of Parliament in London on a summary of cruises none of which have anything to do with London or the Thames. Just a thought...

Cheers, Fred

Like many of us on this forum, I appreciate Host Jazzbeau's flexible approach to posts.

Her suggestion of the practical worth of reading the sticky's (stickies??) is most sensible.

One suggestion that I might respectfully make to Cruise Critic regarding the very useful summary in the sticky, "New to RIVER CRUISING??? START HERE!!!", would be to use a different photo on the title page. Somehow, it doesn't seem quite appropriate to use a photo of the Houses of Parliament in London on a summary of cruises none of which have anything to do with London or the Thames. Just a thought...

Cheers, Fred

Thanks, but I'm a "he." DW is "Jazzbelle" by contrast. ;)

As to the HP photo, that's above my pay grade as someone famously said -- but the Thames is a river even if its most famous wine is only Rumpole's "Chateau Thames Embankment."

I added a new Sticky last night with links to many Cruise Critic articles about River Cruise Basics broken out by itinerary. There's an article about France, and more specific ones about the Seine, Bordeaux, and the Rhone. There are also some Rhine or Danube itineraries that start in Paris. Of course you can easily take a train or plane from Paris to the start of almost any European river cruise.

Those articles are spot on! I commend the CC Editors for giving comprehensive information that will help folks make informed decisions. This along with the other sticky will help you zero in on the line that's right for you and the itinerary. Everyone's personal preference and taste is different and what might be a deal breaker to one might be a nonissue to another.

In making your decision, I think the number of passengers the ship carries is a very important consideration. Some have reported that the ships carrying 190 people have a hard time feeding all of those people at once and keeping the food warm. You'll have less buses of people going on the tours and less crowds.

Make a spread sheet and try to compare apples to apples. It really pays to consider the specific ship you'd be on for each cruise line too, as some of them vary greatly within the same cruise line.

In making your decision, I think the number of passengers the ship carries is a very important consideration. Some have reported that the ships carrying 190 people have a hard time feeding all of those people at once and keeping the food warm. You'll have less buses of people going on the tours and less crowds.

Since the busses run independent of each other with their own guides --- I don't think the number of busses matter if you have 3 or 4. Nor do I think an additional 60 people on the ship really matters if the ship is built well. It is not like we are talking adding another 500 people like large ships do.

I am curious what your experience is in River Cruising?

# of people = small cabins!!! Compare!

I am confused. The size of cabins isn't determined by number of cabins. It is more of a factor of size of ship, size of public spaces and how much space they allocate to cabins. Most ships have different levels of cabins with some being larger than others.

Since the busses run independent of each other with their own guides --- I don't think the number of busses matter if you have 3 or 4. Nor do I think an additional 60 people on the ship really matters if the ship is built well. It is not like we are talking adding another 500 people like large ships do.

I am curious what your experience is in River Cruising?

Some of the stops are in very small towns, where an extra busload would be noticeable.

And given that the ships are pretty well fixed in size 135m long by 11.45m wide if they want to fit through the smaller locks, a larger number of passengers inevitably means less space per passenger (or fewer staff), whether that be by means of smaller cabins, or less public space, or more cramped kitchens and other "service" spaces.

Just saying due to most ships being sized to "just barely" fit the locks.... Look at the ships passenger count and compare the cabin size that you plan to book. More passengers does mean squeezing more cabins into pretty much the same space as a boat with a much smaller passenger count.

Just one of many measures to compare "Apples to Apples"

Me, I'll take the smaller passenger load and more space per passenger plus less passengers eating at same time.

But that's just me... Not you

Just saying due to most ships being sized to "just barely" fit the locks.... Look at the ships passenger count and compare the cabin size that you plan to book. More passengers does mean squeezing more cabins into pretty much the same space as a boat with a much smaller passenger count.

Just one of many measures to compare "Apples to Apples"

Me, I'll take the smaller passenger load and more space per passenger plus less passengers eating at same time.

But that's just me... Not you

Yes, yes me too. I have seen reports that on ships with larger passenger counts, it is hard to find adequate seating especially in the lounge for ports talks.