Do cruise lines provide maps for port cities?

hiccups

Yesterday I came across a great map of Amsterdam that I printed out for our pre-cruise stay. I was going to look for some maps for our other stops, but wondered if those were given out by the cruise lines before the excursions. Particularly I'm interested in Uniworld, since that's who we're sailing with, but thought it would be good to know for future reference what, if any, information various lines provide. Thanks!

We've only sailed on Viking RCs so I can't speak for all lines. But Viking usually has a pad of maps - or fold-out for larger cities - at their reception desk. Also I've always found them very helpful about directions or suggestions for cafes, stores, etc.

But if you find a good map, then bring it!!! You'll never know if your ship might run out of their supply! Plus bringing it means you'll probably looked at it beforehand and will be a little familiar - fabulous for any "new" city!!

Have a great trip!!

On our trip with Scenic last week, maps were provided for most docking and excursion towns/cities, in the form of tear-off pads at reception.

But these were very limited in scope and detail, really giving no more than broad outlines.

But then for detail, Scenic also had their "Tailormade" devices, which have full GPS mapping at a detailed level for the twowns and cities visted.

Peg, we sail on UniWorld starting this Sunday, Budapest to Amsterdam. I plan to start a thread to talk about the cruise, so I'll pay attention to that and let you know.

I recommend the City Maps 2 Go by Ulmon app if you do not want to use data and wifi is not available. You actually download the city map so it's available all the time. I recently switched to T-Mobile which gives me unlimited international data so it won't be as necessary. However, I will still use it because there are many helpful guides for each city. Note: Some smaller towns may not be covered, but they do add stuff regularly.

Peg, we sail on UniWorld starting this Sunday, Budapest to Amsterdam. I plan to start a thread to talk about the cruise, so I'll pay attention to that and let you know.

I recommend the City Maps 2 Go by Ulmon app if you do not want to use data and wifi is not available. You actually download the city map so it's available all the time. I recently switched to T-Mobile which gives me unlimited international data so it won't be as necessary. However, I will still use it because there are many helpful guides for each city. Note: Some smaller towns may not be covered, but they do add stuff regularly.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, since we're doing the reverse on Tauck next year. I will have a look at City Maps 2 Go, since I'm looking at maps for Paris right now.

On our Avalon Rhine cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, we were given city maps each night in our room after we came back from the port talk and dinner. There was enough detail so that if you went on your own after the walking tour you could find your way back to the ship. These could also serve as a way to go off on your own.

In addition, at the start of the cruise we received a document to aid us as we were cruising. On each side bank of the Rhine there are numerical location markings. We were given the guide to those markings so we could look up where we were. I loved that. You could use the guide to easily tell the name of a town or what the landmark you just passed by.

AMA provides maps for each port. We also used City Maps To Go and took maps for the larger cities on our itinerary. The maps that it appears most, if not all, river cruise lines provide may suffice depending on your plans for port time when not on organized tours.

Yesterday I came across a great map of Amsterdam that I printed out for our pre-cruise stay. I was going to look for some maps for our other stops, but wondered if those were given out by the cruise lines before the excursions. Particularly I'm interested in Uniworld, since that's who we're sailing with, but thought it would be good to know for future reference what, if any, information various lines provide. Thanks!

Hi Hiccups! Would love a link to the great map you found of Amsterdam. I'm sure our river boat will provide maps, but given we'll be in Amsterdam touring on our own for several days prior to embarkation, I'd love to take one with me. Do you mind sharing your find and posting the link to the map?

Thanks!!

You'll have Internet access and walk-up computers on board, so I'd think you could print one out from Google Maps if the ship doesn't provide one. Just another option.

We have done several Uniworld river cruises and they have always provided maps for every stop. Usually A4 size maps produced by Uniworld, but occasionally local tourist board maps. We have always found the Uniworld maps to be clear, easy to read and very adequate for the purpose, with major sights and berthing places marked, plus meeting points for pickups.

I have always done my research before leaving home for info on what we want to visit in any free time we have.

Hi Hiccups! Would love a link to the great map you found of Amsterdam. I'm sure our river boat will provide maps' date=' but given we'll be in Amsterdam touring on our own for several days prior to embarkation, I'd love to take one with me. Do you mind sharing your find and posting the link to the map?

Thanks!![/quote']

I think it was Franski that posted this link on the river cruise ports board... if you scroll down there is a PDF map you can print. I like that it shows the main tourist spots and is pretty easy to follow. Mostly I just want to be able to get my bearings and this will work for that! We may even do one of the tours.

http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

Edited by hiccups

We have done several Uniworld river cruises and they have always provided maps for every stop. Usually A4 size maps produced by Uniworld, but occasionally local tourist board maps. We have always found the Uniworld maps to be clear, easy to read and very adequate for the purpose, with major sights and berthing places marked, plus meeting points for pickups.

I have always done my research before leaving home for info on what we want to visit in any free time we have.

Great, thank you for the info! Like you, I am doing some research into what we might want to do with any free time. I want to be active so mostly it will be walking and I want to have an idea of where we are!

We sailed Uniworld's S.S. Maria Theresa from Budapest to Amsterdam on May 17. Maps were provided at each city. The trip was wonderful and ship, service, food and crew were wonderful. You'll have a wonderful time.

We sailed Uniworld's S.S. Maria Theresa from Budapest to Amsterdam on May 17. Maps were provided at each city. The trip was wonderful and ship, service, food and crew were wonderful. You'll have a wonderful time.

Thank you! We are doing the Legendary Rhine & Moselle from Amsterdam-Basel on River Queen. Not a lot of reviews on that ship/itinerary! I checked the other day and there are still 17 available cabins for our August 1 departure so I am curious to see if it will fill up in the next 6 weeks. Looks like opportunities for previous cruisers to get upgrades!

Hiccups, we did the Legends tour on the River Queen a couple of years ago in the opposite direction, and were on the Queen earlier this year. Love that ship! If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Hiccups, we did the Legends tour on the River Queen a couple of years ago in the opposite direction, and were on the Queen earlier this year. Love that ship! If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Great, thank you! I have a lot of questions about the excursions--I'm going to assume the excursions are probably the same. Did you do any of the bicycling tours?

Two Strasbourg tours are offered, one by canal and one walking. Which did you take, and would you recommend it?

The two tours offered at Breisach are Colmar and the Alsatian Village Day (Riquewihr/Kayserberg). Again, any recommendations?

Did you take any of the optional tours?

Great, thank you! I have a lot of questions about the excursions--I'm going to assume the excursions are probably the same. Did you do any of the bicycling tours?

Two Strasbourg tours are offered, one by canal and one walking. Which did you take, and would you recommend it?

The two tours offered at Breisach are Colmar and the Alsatian Village Day (Riquewihr/Kayserberg). Again, any recommendations?

Did you take any of the optional tours?

I have never been on a river cruise in that area, but we did take a holiday in teh Alsace a few years ago, and we visited Riquewihr, which was a lovely village, that happened to have a fete going on while we were there.

Much nicer than Colmar IMO.

We were on the last cruise of the season in 2012 (November) and there were not any organized bicycle tours at that time. We did however take advantage of the bikes whenever we could...in Basel we rode across over to France just because it was a novelty to be able to be in two countries with such ease....and in Strasbourg the ship was docked in the perfect location near walkways / trails along the river / canal. The bikes are comfortable and easy to adjust for your height. They come with locks and helmets.

In Breisach we chose to take the tour to Kayserberg and Riquewihr ...delightfully ..picturesque very walkable. Don't remember hearing about Colmar from others.

In Strasbourg we took the canal cruise which was followed by a short stroll and free time in town. Shuttle buses were available back to the ship a number of times during the afternoon as well as from the ship back into town, so you did have the oppotunity to have lunch on board and go back into town to explore for the afternoon.