Canada-New England

Kerry&LuAnn

Great information so far. I just booked Maasdam today for this weekend montreal to Boston sailing. I knew there would be great information here and I hope to share the favor when I return! First time on Maasdam but millionth time to Montreal! Favorite city in the world and only 90 minutes away.

Coka

Edited by coka

Right you are Sail. I wasn't clear. That little rhyme is to help Americans understand metric temperatures.

Believe it or not, many of us understand metric. ;)

Some of our teachers were insistent we have a basic metric education.

F = (C x 2) + 20

C = (F) -32 x 5 divided by 9

Edited by sail7seas

F = (C x 2) + 20

I'm always surprised when folks from the USA do. I can't tell you how many times I've had to convert for people. I'm sure if I lived in the usa I wouldn't have a clue. I just use the double the C tempature and add 30 rule. It close enough and it's easy. Doesn't work once it's below zero.

Great information so far. I just booked Maasdam today for this weekend montreal to Boston sailing. I knew there would be great information here and I hope to share the favor when I return! First time on Maasdam but millionth time to Montreal! Favorite city in the world and only 90 minutes away.

Coka

Please do a review when you return home.

I did like Alaska, but I loved New England and Canada. We stayed at the Chandler Inn in Boston and had a great day in Boston. We then stayed at Auberge du Vieuw Port in Montreal post cruise and it was the best place we have ever stayed. Every port was so different on this cruise, where in Alaska, it all started to look alike after a couple ports. Plus, going to Quebec City and Then Old Town Montreal was like going to Paris but not having to fly all the way to France!

Even though we have done several different itineraries of Canada/New England we still love Alaska better. JMO

F = (C x 2) + 20

Yes -- at one time all students in the US had to learn the metric system as the government claimed that we would be changing over to that system -- which never happened.

F = (C x 2) + 20

Let's correct that rough conversion:

F = (C x 2) + 30.

C = (F - 30) / 2.

This is a "close enough for government work" conversion, that lets you know if you need a jacket or sweater. It's not precise.

Coka please post your Maasdam cruise experience. I'm doing the same itinerary in July and would love here all about it

Please do a review when you return home.

Will do!

coka

Keep in mind these are temperatures in Centigrade. that would not be so pleasant were it Fahrenheit temps. :D

32F is freezing.

0 F is frigid cold.

In actual fact, Canada uses the Celsius scale, not the Centigrade scale. There is a difference.

Will do!

coka

Looking forward to your review when you return as well. I will be taking a small group on this cruise in September. Would you please check out one thing for me......how long did it take to get to shore in Bar Harbor? It shows arrival at 8 am. As this is the first US port everyone has to pass through US customs before getting on the tenders. I'm trying to plan what time to start the tour of Bar Harbor. Many thanks for helping with my research for this cruise. Bon Voyage coka!:):)

Looking forward to your review when you return as well. I will be taking a small group on this cruise in September. Would you please check out one thing for me......how long did it take to get to shore in Bar Harbor? It shows arrival at 8 am. As this is the first US port everyone has to pass through US customs before getting on the tenders. I'm trying to plan what time to start the tour of Bar Harbor. Many thanks for helping with my research for this cruise. Bon Voyage coka!:):)

We will be taking this cruise in the opposite direction, Boston - Montreal, and would appreciate comments on the length of time it takes to be cleared by CBSA in Halifax, the first Canadian stop. We have a DIY shore excursion and I'd like to know when we can expect to get started.

I would love a few suggestions for Charlotte and Sydney

I would also like to know what to expect on board the Maasdam on a sea day. Is there a good variety of activities or is it more of a relax with a good book kind of day.

I was on the same sailing as Gertiesmom, and I agree with her that it was a spectacular cruise. It's among my all-time favorites, too. Maasdam was a beautiful, intimate ship. The ports were all lovely, and the weather was ideal with sun in every port.

In Sydney we took a HAL excursion to Fortress Louisbourg. It was a compelling excursion to a place that felt as if it was at the end of the world. While I was comparing it to the Citadel in Halifax prior to my visit, it's really more like Colonial Williamsburg in that it is the recreation of a four-block village in addition to the King's Bastion, including colorful characters who inhabit the village.

In PEI we saw Anne & Gilbert: The Musical and had a walking tour there and back. This was booked through HAL, as well. The stage production was excellent and featured a cast of 20 actors and live musicians. I was a bit apprehensive during the first number, but the show quickly got on track. We had drinks and snacks afterwards at Gahan's pub, which is old and unique to PEI. In fact, their beer was available aboard Maasdam. We then walked by ourselves back to the ship. Charlottetown is very small and easily walkable.

Good luck with your choices and enjoy the cruise!

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I am also torn about what to do in Charlottetown. We really aren't interested in Anne of Green gables or the bridge, which seem to be included in most tours. I am leaning towards eating PEI mussels and fries, both of which I heard are excellent.

I am also torn about what to do in Charlottetown. We really aren't interested in Anne of Green gables or the bridge, which seem to be included in most tours. I am leaning towards eating PEI mussels and fries, both of which I heard are excellent.

The PEI Potatoes are something very special and make some of the best fries I've ever had. I don't like mussels, so I always skip them, but I definitely get my fill of PEI potatoes while in Charlottetown.

Other than eating, Charlottetown is a great stop for just wandering around. It's a walkable city and has great sights just walking along. I might recommend a walking tour of the town, as there are some interesting things to see, but it's easy to wander on your own. And there are lots of little ships with interesting things, even for window shoppers. I doubt you'll have a hard time finding something to do. And if nothing else, after your lunch of mussels & fries, find one of the Cows outlets, peruse the parody merchandise and then get yourself an ice cream cone for the walk back to the ship.

I like the idea of just walking around too. This is a port intensive 7 days and sometimes it's nice not to have too many planned excursions. That's when you find interesting little places and get a sense of the local experience

I'm glad so many of you have had a good experience on Maasdam. I know she's older and may be a bit worn in places, that's ok as long as the food and service don't disappoint.

Charlottetown is a great place for wandering around on your own.

When you pass through the terminal, you'll see lots of local crafts you may wish to browse. Continue on through the terminal and when you exit the front, immediately on your right you will see a small museum. It only takes a few minutes to view most of the things of interest but we learned about the founding of Canada there. I was vague as to Canada's early history and thought the presentation good.

We then walked to Government House (I think that is what it is called) and did a tour there. It is only about 15-20 minute walk depending how fast you move along. :) I also liked that tour and enjoyed seeing the various chambers etc It was a good guide who was pleasant to listen to. The walk is nice as there were lots of beautiful plantings along the way, well groomed lawns and buildings. Must be the long, cold winters that makes them eager to put out so many beautiful flowers.

Each visit, we enjoyed browsing in the various shops (including the 'Anne' Candy Shop downtown. It's an incredibly safe area to walk. Also of interest is the underground shopping mall, if you've never seen that before. We were accustomed to them from Montreal.

There is also a beautiful church I always enjoy dropping in to view. You go right past it on the way to Government House.

When you return toward the ship, you will see a 'tourist' shopping area that is meticulously neat and fresh ands lots of little shops to drop in on. A few restaurants to try if you didn't stop in one while 'downtown'. :)

Definitely the place for Mussels, Lobster rolls, French fries... if you care for such foods.

As you exit the pier area there is a visitor center on the right. We bought tickets on a double decker bus and got a narrated tour of downtown area, out to suburbs, and by the potato fields. They told us PEI supplies McD for fries. Nice pleasant overview and then we walked around town some more. It was limited in space and we got some of the last tickets, so get there early. If I recall it was under $10. Really pretty when you get out to the countryside.

• 1 month later...

I guess I would like to know what guides you might have used privately in each town?

Sydney

Halifax

Bar Harbor

Quebec City

Charlottetown

Also, what specifically did you see?

Even what you did in Boston, and where you might have stayed there? We have a night there as well, and a whole day.

I guess I would like to know what guides you might have used privately in each town?

Sydney

Halifax

Bar Harbor

Quebec City

Charlottetown

Even what you did in Boston, and where you might have stayed there? We have a night there as well, and a whole day.

If it's of interest or helps with your planning, I was on Veendam 11-18 July Boston-Quebec and did this :

Boston : Took Silver Line bus from the Black Falcon cruise terminal to South Station and walked around.

Bar Harbor : Used free Island Explorer bus service and went to Sand Beach and Thunder Hole.

Halifax : Took taxi at cruise terminal ($180) and went to Peggy's Cove and Fairview Cemetery. Taxis were $60/hour in the Canadian ports, but take 6/7 people.

Sydney : Did nothing but walk around the area near the ship, which is doing nothing :D There is that big fiddle at the cruise terminal, but you really need to travel from the port for something else to see.

Charlottetown : Took taxi for 3 hour drive around up to Cavendish and Anne of GG areas ($180) and after that walked around Charlottetown (interesting).

Quebec City : Walked the lovely city and took 800 bus to Montmorency Falls.

These are videos of the first 3 ports, will do the rest soon. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]pdFcHnmfVSQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]I8a9lZR6H_s[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]QNMUjXRQCQU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ohoSzar_dyY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Mn6YAN2Xn2M[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]G9coUaGmDQ0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]bO4zddTiHko[/YOUTUBE]

Sydney

Halifax

Bar Harbor

Quebec City

Charlottetown

We used Bluediamond tours and were able to adjust the offered tours to what suited us. We used them in Halifax, Sydney and PEI. In Pei we were driven to the south side of the island to avoid the standard tourist spots and saw lighthouses, a fabulous wool making operstion, gorgeous rugged coast lines etc. i would highly recommend them.

Edited by Mar56

We took this cruise 3 years ago. In Sydney we took a wonderful ship excursion to the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. In Halifax we did the HOHO and spent a couple of hours at the Citadel -- if you're a history maven I highly recommend this. Quebec is highly doable on your own. The ship docks close to the Old Town. We easily located the horse and carriage stand, and the ride gave us a nice overview. Then we just walked around for a while and had a nice lunch before returning to the ship. Also enjoyed time in Montreal post cruise. I highly recommend this itinerary.