Top things to do in Juneau

dlhoward

There is no "top 10", :) Depends on you. take a look at what is available http://www.traveljuneau.com You need to narrow down your interests, if you want further information. Heading to your library- is also a good source, Fodor's and Frommers, along with Anne Viapond have Alaska Ports of Call books.

Edited by Budget Queen

I enjoyed whale watching, Mt. Roberts tramway, Mendenhall Glacier and the Red Dog Saloon but I was only in Juneau a few hours. If I was there longer I would have like to walk to Nugget Falls from Mendenhall.

Haven't seen Red Dog Saloon. Looks interesting. I guess some recommendations for places to eat would also be great. We might be checking Red Dog out.

This is purely a tourist stop. ;)

If you happen to be interested in looking, down and across the street on Franklin- the Alaskan is another bar, but very different and listed on the National Historic Register. Worth a look perhaps?

I like Twisted Fish at the tram dock, next to the Taku Smokery, (has some excellent salmon selections) also the Hanger has some good food.

This is purely a tourist stop. ;)

If you happen to be interested in looking, down and across the street on Franklin- the Alaskan is another bar, but very different and listed on the National Historic Register. Worth a look perhaps?

I like Twisted Fish at the tram dock, next to the Taku Smokery, (has some excellent salmon selections) also the Hanger has some good food.

Thanks for the Alaskan recommendation. We will definitely check it out when we are there in August. What a great story.

Here's some ideas...

[YOUTUBE]e_eMbvWq8lU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE]

You might needs to come back more than once to do all of it.

Edited by xlxo

I agree with BQ, the Red Dog is not much more than a tourist trap....and I think she would agree that the Alaska Hotel while authentic is not noted for it culinary delights. Back to Red Dog, it is in at least its 3rd location and maybe even its 4th as some believe it used operate in a tent on the beach. Here is a link to a photo of the Red Dog Saloon on Franklin Street which I remember from 1963. As a 19 year old they wouldn't serve me but the liquor store down the street that used to sell us booze is still there.:)

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/cdmg21/id/9386/rec/7

I'd look into the all day trip to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. With no time pressure to make it back to your ship this a great up close and personal experience with a glacier.

Red Dog is very touristy but then we are all tourists! :D

I thought it was fun and at the end of a very busy day of sight seeing I enjoyed my fish, chips, beer and entertainment there.

It takes all sorts.

I'd look into the all day trip to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. With no time pressure to make it back to your ship this a great up close and personal experience with a glacier.
Instead of an all day trip.... a popular variation is to visit Tracy Arm with a mid-ocean transfer. This way saves you a few hours as you don't need to retrace 50 miles of ocean between Juneau and Fjord. This time can be spent at Mendenhal.

This option is extremely popular and is a guarantee sellout pre-cruise as the boat can only hold so many people.

Whatever boat you are going on, look into whether not it's available.

Definitely do a whale watching excursion in Juneau. Just got back on Sunday and the whale watching was incredible!!! They are having more sightings and more whales then ever. Record numbers! We watched two pods of 6-8 whales each for over 2 hours straight. Don't miss it!

Now, I admit to being biased....:) but the very best thing you can do is go see Peanut, the wonder dog who wears a pink Tee shirt and zinc oxide on her noise on the Herbert glacier...take one of those big yellow Coastal helicopters and go for a dog sled ride with Peanut leading the way....did I say she was a leader? who wears a pink Tee shirt? :D Did I mention that she is my dog? Huh? Huh? Huh? :D Oh, and did I mention that she has gorgeous blue eyes.....??????

Edited by laughing husky

I just got back from Juneau last week. It was 1 of my favorite ports.

We did the Mendenhall Glacier / Nugget Falls trip via the "blue bus" shuttle for $20 pp.

On the way back from the glacier we got dropped off in town and made a stop at the Red Dog Saloon for a cold 1 :D. Touristy, but neat inside.

We then did the Mt. Roberts Tram, $33 pp, and walked the trails up top for a bit. Very nice views.

After working up a hunger we went to Tracy's Crab Shack for some AWESOME king crab, $80 for a 3lb. bucket w/ slaw & biscuits. Best ever!

We then started to do some shopping :(, but it worked out.... we wondered into the Alaskan Brewing Co. store.... it turns out they offer tours and tasting at the brewery 15 minutes away. $20 pp included transportation, a private tour and of course tastings. Some excellent beers!

We were in port from 7 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. so we had plenty of time.

I do wish we could have snuck a whale watch in (maybe instead of the tram next time) because everyone we talked to said it was fantastic, but we did whale watching the day before in Icy Straits.

Whatever you choose to do..... enjoy Juneau! :):):)

Now, I admit to being biased....:) but the very best thing you can do is go see Peanut, the wonder dog who wears a pink Tee shirt and zinc oxide on her noise on the Herbert glacier...take one of those big yellow Coastal helicopters and go for a dog sled ride with Peanut leading the way....did I say she was a leader? who wears a pink Tee shirt? :D Did I mention that she is my dog? Huh? Huh? Huh? :D Oh, and did I mention that she has gorgeous blue eyes.....??????

How do we insure that we get Peanut?

Instead of an all day trip.... a popular variation is to visit Tracy Arm with a mid-ocean transfer. This way saves you a few hours as you don't need to retrace 50 miles of ocean between Juneau and Fjord. This time can be spent at Mendenhal.

This option is extremely popular and is a guarantee sellout pre-cruise as the boat can only hold so many people.

Whatever boat you are going on, look into whether not it's available.

The individual is doing a 1.5 days pre-cruise in Juneau, so it is where they embark on their cruise (must be a smaller ship). So adding this to their cruise port stop is not an option.

I actually second the all day cruise to Tracy Arm. I personally like to retrace the route, though it doesn't seem like a retrace as we stop at different things (different waterfalls, come across a pod of orcas, see some bears, etc...). You wouldn't have time on the quicker trip to do this and with the all day trip you have double the possibilities of bear encounters, whale sightings, etc... BTW - I have seen more whales on this trip than I have whale watching in Auke Bay. Maybe lucky but purely amazing. I will take this over Mendenhall 100% off the time and I have been to Mendenhall a lot.

Edited by Coral

We did the Taku Glacier landing and dog sledding - highlight of our entire holiday (did Canada and Alaska over 5weeks). Booked through Era Helicopters - absolutely breathtaking scenery.

Enjoy your stay in Juneau.

I will look for Peanut on Wednesday August 19th!! I hope she can lead the way with her pink t-shirt and my pink cape! Can't wait!!

There are many things to see along the wharf if you want to take a walk in the evening. There are statues of miners and other important persons of the town. Also a statue of Pasty Ann the famous dog of the town is there. There is wonder story connected to her on a plaque to read. And if you look close you will see interesting things in the water as well.

Juneau has many things to offer that are free and interesting. Have a wonderful time in Juneau and on your cruise.

Great thread.

I've got the Coastal Helicopter booked around noon, which is only schedule for about an hour. The ship doesn't leave until later in the evening (9p?). Will I have time to hop on a shuttle & hike the Nugget Falls trail at Mendenhall?

Will she be there in August? I'm taking this tour and would love to see her!