Bonnie - Why such a huge cancellation fee in UK?

Glenndale

I'm guessing the purpose is to deter people from making frivolous reservations to hold attractive staterooms "just in case" they want to take that cruise. If that's so, I'm all for the penalty.

If I were cruise line management seeing inordinate numbers of cancellations as final payment time approached, I'd charge a penalty, too. Those staterooms would then likely have to be sold at "last minute deal" pricing, presumably welll below what they could have been sold for in months preceding.

The latter issue is, if memory serves, why Oceania increased its penalties prior to final payment. Some were "gaming" their system.

The penalties should be the same globally, that's fairest

Sorry I lost the connection so could not finish the post.....what I am meaning is maybe we have different deposits but the % of the deposit lost at each stage should be the same

Eg up to 6 months before 10% etc etc

Nothing frustrates non US cruisers than to read people bragging particularly on roll calls when changes happen and others go no problem we've just cancelled....or who post I have b2b2b2b booked we are only going to do two legs and will decide which two later once we know our scheduled but we wanted to take up offer x or y when we sit having to let x or y pass by because we don't know our schedules and the cancellation penalties are heavy.

This is s head office issue that needs addressing and I am really struggling to understand the legal constraints in the UK - after all your competitors don't have that problem.

This is s head office issue that needs addressing and I am really struggling to understand the legal constraints in the UK - after all your competitors don't have that problem.

Hi Uktog, I don't believe there are any legal constraints.

If Oceania can return deposits outside of final payment any cruiseline in the UK can.

It just seems that the will to do it isn't there.

As Phil says, it isn't just Azamara but Celebrity, Cunard, P&O etc. that also have these terms and conditions and in many cases the deposit will be a lot more than £250.

I like both Azamara and Oceania but all things being equal, if I saw a similar cruise with both companies, I would book with O, reason being if circumstances changed I wouldn't be left out of pocket if I needed to cancel.

I'm guessing the purpose is to deter people from making frivolous reservations to hold attractive staterooms "just in case" they want to take that cruise. If that's so, I'm all for the penalty.

If I were cruise line management seeing inordinate numbers of cancellations as final payment time approached, I'd charge a penalty, too. Those staterooms would then likely have to be sold at "last minute deal" pricing, presumably welll below what they could have been sold for in months preceding.

On the other hand, the cruise lines have the use of our deposit money for the duration between booking and when someone decides to cancel the "just in case" cruise. It's my opinion they are well compensated for the cancellations.

Since Azamara, RCCL, and Celebrity cruises can be booked on board any of three cruise lines, I booked an Azamara 2017 cruise on board the Celebrity Equinox this past April. I knew there would be a $25pp cancellation fee, but it was well worth the $50 to get the cabin I wanted, the itinerary, the 50% reduced deposit, the BOGOHO special, and the obc. I have no problem cancelling before 121 days outside of final payment, as I do consider it a $50 holding fee. The cruise line has my $550 to invest in interest bearing accounts, so like I said above they are well compensated for the cabin being held.

I have long had the opinion that RCCL corporate's inequality in their deposit and cancellation policies is a black mark against their image. Australia and the UK especially have unfair policies.

Edited by pcur

On the other hand, the cruise lines have the use of our deposit money for the duration between booking and when someone decides to cancel the "just in case" cruise. It's my opinion they are well compensated for the cancellations.

Since Azamara, RCCL, and Celebrity cruises can be booked on board any of three cruise lines, I booked an Azamara 2017 cruise on board the Celebrity Equinox this past April. I knew there would be a $25pp cancellation fee, but it was well worth the $50 to get the cabin I wanted, the itinerary, the 50% reduced deposit, the BOGOHO special, and the obc. I have no problem cancelling before 121 days outside of final payment, as I do consider it a $50 holding fee. The cruise line has my $550 to invest in interest bearing accounts, so like I said above they are well compensated for the cabin being held.

I have long had the opinion that RCCL corporate's inequality in their deposit and cancellation policies is a black mark against their image. Australia and the UK especially have unfair policies.

I'm afraid you are missing the point entirely. Azamara is not concerned with the pittance they will earn in interest on your $550 deposit over two years, or, in fact, the $25 penalty you would be assessed for cancelling before 120 days.

They are trying to minimize the cancelling of a $10,000-15,000 stateroom for a two-week cruise 121 days before sailing by someone who booked it "just in case" knowing they could cancel penalty-free four months before the cruise. This stateroom would then likely have to be dumped on the local market, with TAs packaging air and hotel, etc., at a greatly reduced price in order to fill that stateroom so close to sailing date.

I do agree that having to forfeit one's entire deposit is onerous and even unfair, but $25 is a reasonable deterrent to avoid people booking a stateroom a year or two out as a placeholder while looking for a better or more attractive alternative cruise somewhere else, all the while knowing they'll get their deposit back and forgo only 1% interest.

I'm afraid you are missing the point entirely. Azamara is not concerned with the pittance they will earn in interest on your $550 deposit over two years, or, in fact, the $25 penalty you would be assessed for cancelling before 120 days.

They are trying to minimize the cancelling of a $10,000-15,000 stateroom for a two-week cruise 121 days before sailing by someone who booked it "just in case" knowing they could cancel penalty-free four months before the cruise. This stateroom would then likely have to be dumped on the local market, with TAs packaging air and hotel, etc., at a greatly reduced price in order to fill that stateroom so close to sailing date.

I do agree that having to forfeit one's entire deposit is onerous and even unfair, but $25 is a reasonable deterrent to avoid people booking a stateroom a year or two out as a placeholder while looking for a better or more attractive alternative cruise somewhere else, all the while knowing they'll get their deposit back and forgo only 1% interest.

My point is regarding the MILLIONS of $$ the cruiseline holds in advance bookings, and the fact that these funds can command a much higher interest than my measly $50.

RCCL corp has been around since the mid-1960's and their cancellation and refund policies have always been extremely good, until they went into the UK, Australia, and Asian markets.

My point is regarding the MILLIONS of $$ the cruiseline holds in advance bookings, and the fact that these funds can command a much higher interest than my measly $50.

RCCL corp has been around since the mid-1960's and their cancellation and refund policies have always been extremely good, until they went into the UK, Australia, and Asian markets.

If you read what I wrote, you'd know I agree with you on those three markets.

And we're not talking about all the "millions" of dollars in deposits, we're talking about the deposits of those people who book cruises with no real commitment to taking them and the fact that Azamara is trying to minimize that by imposing a penalty. Are you saying cruise lines should require no deposits when you book? Are you saying that because Azamara makes some interest on the deposits of those many of us who are committed to the cruises we book they shouldn't attempt to deter however many others from making casual bookings and then cancelling?

The point, that you continue to miss, is that the penalty is to deter frivolous bookings and the cancellations of staterooms a few months from sailing date with significant revenue loss. Forgone interest on one's deposit is not sufficient to do that, especially at today's interest rates.

Edited by marinaro44

If you read what I wrote, you'd know I agree with you on those three markets.

And we're not talking about all the "millions" of dollars in deposits, we're talking about the deposits of those people who book cruises with no real commitment to taking them and the fact that Azamara is trying to minimize that by imposing a penalty. Are you saying cruise lines should require no deposits when you book? Are you saying that because Azamara makes some interest on the deposits of those many of us who are committed to the cruises we book they shouldn't attempt to deter however many others from making casual bookings and then cancelling?

The point, that you continue to miss, is that the penalty is to deter frivolous bookings and the cancellations of staterooms a few months from sailing date with significant revenue loss. Forgone interest on one's deposit is not sufficient to do that, especially at today's interest rates.

I'm not missing any point: I just don't agree with it, and I'm trying to be polite about it. :D

Booking, then cancelling because of any myriad of reasons is part of the cruise industry marketing model. It's pretty much a built-in variable, IMO. Just because someone cancels a few months before sailing date doesn't mean it's frivolous. It just means someone changed their mind about the cruise.

From the bookers in the UK it is "frivolous" just to say OH! I have changed my mind. We here loose all of our deposit not just the 25 dollars which is peanuts.

I have friends in the USA that book a few cruises, just to get the OBC and the stateroom they require, but have NO intention of going on them all. They are prepared to forfeit the 25 dollars per person, But here in the UK we could not do that, yes we could if we are prepared to loose a lot of money, as all our deposit is forfeited, for each cruise booked. I don't think this is fair.

It is about time that we have the same rules for all.:confused::confused:

From the bookers in the UK it is "frivolous" just to say OH! I have changed my mind. We here loose all of our deposit not just the 25 dollars which is peanuts. I don't think this is fair.

I agree completely!

From the bookers in the UK it is "frivolous" just to say OH! I have changed my mind. We here loose all of our deposit not just the 25 dollars which is peanuts.

I have friends in the USA that book a few cruises, just to get the OBC and the stateroom they require, but have NO intention of going on them all. They are prepared to forfeit the 25 dollars per person, But here in the UK we could not do that, yes we could if we are prepared to loose a lot of money, as all our deposit is forfeited, for each cruise booked. I don't think this is fair.

There are so many different products that cost more or less depending on where you live, even within the US.

Mr Twynam has asked me to reiterate ....

He also points out that as "the UK and the US have differing offers, booking through the U.S. may not be the most efficient approach."

But then again, probably IS in most cases .

Also isn't it true that if there is a price drop the paid up US customers can get it but the UK customers can't ?

I booked an Azamara cruise with a "guaranteed" but unallocated ocean view stateroom ( status Y). I was led to believe that I would certainly get an ocean view stateroom and may even get an upgrade. It turned out that I was allocated a so called ocean view but with restricted view due to the lifeboats. Obviously these particular staterooms are not as popular as the standard ocean view ones !

According to my UK TA I couldn't change my booking without a considerable hike in price because Azamara had discontinued the "guaranteed " offer after I booked it.

I fell for it this time but next time I shall be more wary.

One key issue with UK cancellation charges on holidays and cruises is they are probably not legal, but until a body such as trading standards takes them on they will remain in place.

At least one cruiseline lost a case when it was taken to court.

(not sure if they appealed)

The basic premise is that they are penalties which are not legal they need to be a genuine estimate of the losses incured by the cruiseline.

As we know the cruiselines resell the cabins so the losses are mianly admin and the difference in fare.

• 3 months later...
Seems that Azamara has increased it's cancellation penalty for US customers to $50 per person. I found a web site that had the old policy, and it had an update date of 8/29/15, so Azamara must have increased the penalty from $25 to $50 after 9/1/15.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/pricing-policies

'

But what if someone had already booked a voyage? I don't think they can change the terms if someone booked last year for this year.

'

But what if someone had already booked a voyage? I don't think they can change the terms if someone booked last year for this year.

That's what I'm thinking, too: they will honor what's on the invoice. Mine says $25 per person before final payment, and I booked in April 2015.

Seems that Azamara has increased it's cancellation penalty for US customers to $50 per person. I found a web site that had the old policy, and it had an update date of 8/29/15, so Azamara must have increased the penalty from $25 to $50 after 9/1/15.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/pricing-policies

The new Cancellation fees apply on voyages that sail in 2017 and beyond.

Here's a grid:

1094708187_CXfees2017.gif.0a347feab4346d2db304f09264b7c38d.gif

The new Cancellation fees apply on voyages that sail in 2017 and beyond.

Here's a grid:

Bonnie, the first chart refers to voyages after 1//1/15, and it's also showing $50 per person. The second chart is showing voyages after 2017. Is the $50 a typo in the first chart (I hope :D).

Bonnie, the first chart refers to voyages after 1//1/15, and it's also showing $50 per person. The second chart is showing voyages after 2017. Is the $50 a typo in the first chart (I hope :D).

The chart on the left, 2015&2016, starts with $25 pp.

The chart on the right, 2017, starts with $50 pp.

The chart on the left, 2015&2016, starts with $25 pp.

The chart on the right, 2017, starts with $50 pp.

Thanks, Bonnie!

It's the charts on the Azamara web page that your link refers to in your post above, not the side-by-side charts. I think that top chart on the web page has the typo:

2015/2016 CANCELLATION POLICY

This policy applies to all voyages beginning on or after January 2015.

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE CANCELLATION CHARGE

121+ days US $50 per person

120-91 days 25% of booked fare

90-61 days 50% of booked fare

60-31 days 75% of booked fare

30 days or less 100% of booked fare

Edited by pcur

Bonnie, please see below, quite clearly the US website has the $50 charge showing against 2015-17 sailings and if this is an error I think your web team need to rectify it ASAP, as it is causing confusion.

1690632771_AzCanx.jpg.249759e3cc5045c67c35e56b84e81688.jpg