Need tips for managing crowds on Breeze

flahagan

We're sailing her on July 18 with our 3 teen grandkids. Hubby was ill recently and has low energy/endurance, so I'm worried about standing for long periods in crowded situations.

I've been reading some horror stories about embarkation, long waits for my time dining, pretty much overcrowding everywhere. I'm sure our sailing will be mobbed with families such as ours (yes, we are part of the problem, lol).

I'd love to hear any tips some of you may have as to best times for embarkation/debarkation, dining in Main restaurant and in buffet etc.. Is it difficult finding a place to sit in the buffet area?

We have two cabins all the way forward on Lido deck, BTW - a 4J and a balcony.

Also, I'm wondering if Carnival has wheelchairs available for those who need it when getting on/off the ship, e.g. at embarkation or on some of the longer piers in the various ports. I've seen this done on other lines. We could rent one from an offshore company, but I'm pretty sure it would go unused the rest of the trip. He thinks he won't need one, but I'm the worrier.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wheel chair assistance is available for embark and debark. Any other time you'll need your own. Call Carnival Special Needs for the name of a rental company. The wheelchair will be waiting in your cabin. Having it in the cabin will be good insurance. Better to have it and not need it.

Edited by SadieN

I was on the Breeze in April. Embarkation was the only problem with crowds. Have you considered either early or late seating instead of taking a chance waiting for a table? There is a company called Special Needs at Sea. The ship is big. Your husband may have problems walking around at a port. It is better to have the wheelchair in case you need it. Also the theater has handicapped seating at the top row.

I was on the Breeze in April. Embarkation was the only problem with crowds. Have you considered either early or late seating instead of taking a chance waiting for a table? There is a company called Special Needs at Sea. The ship is big. Your husband may have problems walking around at a port. It is better to have the wheelchair in case you need it. Also the theater has handicapped seating at the top row.

Just curious, we recently went on the Glory sailed from Miami, actually right beside the Breeze the same day, and our embarkation process was very quick. I have read several reviews that stated like you did it wasn't quick at all but rather slow. Is this because of the size of the ship? Just wondering what to expect we will be sailing her in December. Also what about disembark, was it slower also? Trying to arrange a shuttle pick up and wondered when would be a good time. Thanks for any information!

Wheel chair assistance is available for embark and debark. Any other time you'll need your own. Call Carnival Special Needs for the name of a rental company. The wheelchair will be waiting in your cabin. Having it in the cabin will be good insurance. Better to have it and not need it.

I've read that there is a wait time for w/c assist, they take care of many people, they are not just standing there waiting for the next person. Best to keep your options open and bring your own. You'll have some healthy teens to assist.

Hi Flahagan :)

I see members answered most of your questions already. I just wanted to touch upon two area's that might assist you some.

My wife & I just spent 14-days aboard the Breeze.

We also had my time / anytime dining and noticed passengers sometimes would begin to line up at 5:30pm.

The restaurant doors open at 5:45pm, however there were a handful of days they opened the doors 5 to 10 minutes earlier. The line goes extremely fast at opening time.

We ate early every day, (specifically to avoid) crowds & wait time.

On average, we were in & out in about 45 minutes to one hour for all of our main dining room meals.

In regards to the (buffet area), we avoided / managed crowds, lines and any issue locating a seat by going to the 2nd (further aft food station) in the buffet. The majority of passengers typically go to the 1st food area.

Actually, never had any issues finding a seat anywhere on the Breeze.

Have a terrific sailing!

:)

I agree with going early to everything except getting off in ports, then wait an hour. Return an hour early to the ship. For embarkation, make sure you are hydrated upon arrival, bring a water bottle, and let a Carnival rep know if you need assistance boarding. Only you can decide if a wheelchair will help on board. My 80 yr old mother with emphysema used a w/c for boarding and debarkation only- CCL provides this service free; let them know when you sign in). Once on the ship, she relied on the elevators to manage the decks and used the handrails for stability. I would definitely get his doctor's recommendation for assistive devices. GL

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice. I will try to follow as much of it as possible.

I think what worries me the most is managing the long inclined gangway up to the ship (walking up the slightest incline wipes him out), so I'm glad to know we can ask for w/c assistance with that part. I suppose we just request this at check-in?

On level surface, which is what we'll encounter at the ports of call, he can manage by stopping for a brief rest period every few hundred feet and then continue on, so I think we'll be OK there.

So dine early or late is probably the key, avoid 6:30 -7:30 crowds, head for the aft area for sitting at the buffet, let him hold the table - I think I've got it!

We even did a "dry run" last weekend at the beach - he walked nearly 300' in the sand, which I thought was pretty darned good.

Thanks again for the great tips.

I agree with going early to everything except getting off in ports, then wait an hour. Return an hour early to the ship. For embarkation, make sure you are hydrated upon arrival, bring a water bottle, and let a Carnival rep know if you need assistance boarding. Only you can decide if a wheelchair will help on board. My 80 yr old mother with emphysema used a w/c for boarding and debarkation only- CCL provides this service free; let them know when you sign in). Once on the ship, she relied on the elevators to manage the decks and used the handrails for stability. I would definitely get his doctor's recommendation for assistive devices. GL

My DH has problems with endurance and energy after extensive surgery. There's no way he could manage the ramps getting on and off the ship. The wheelchair assistance makes a world of difference to him/us.

Port Days and Excursions getting on and off aren't so bad since you take elevators down to the lower floors where the gangways are located.

There is one issue to be aware of though ... for someone in normal shape (endurance and breathing wise) the walk from the ship down the pier to the terminal and tour meeting points on port days is no big deal. For someone with breathing issues it can seem HUGE. For this, a wheelchair of ones own - rented or owned - may be good if this is an issue for your relative. Google images of the cruise ports you'll be visiting and take a look at each to help you determine whether you need a chair for excursion/ port days.

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice. I will try to follow as much of it as possible.

I think what worries me the most is managing the long inclined gangway up to the ship (walking up the slightest incline wipes him out), so I'm glad to know we can ask for w/c assistance with that part. I suppose we just request this at check-in?

On level surface, which is what we'll encounter at the ports of call, he can manage by stopping for a brief rest period every few hundred feet and then continue on, so I think we'll be OK there.

So dine early or late is probably the key, avoid 6:30 -7:30 crowds, head for the aft area for sitting at the buffet, let him hold the table - I think I've got it!

We even did a "dry run" last weekend at the beach - he walked nearly 300' in the sand, which I thought was pretty darned good.

Thanks again for the great tips.

Hopefully he will regain his strength to at least some extant in next two weeks.

You might want to call Carnival special needs dept for further help.

In 30 cruises never noticed that one part of lido is less crowded than another so would suggest grab table somewhere first and than deal with getting food.

My DH has problems with endurance and energy after extensive surgery. There's no way he could manage the ramps getting on and off the ship. The wheelchair assistance makes a world of difference to him/us.

Port Days and Excursions getting on and off aren't so bad since you take elevators down to the lower floors where the gangways are located.

There is one issue to be aware of though ... for someone in normal shape (endurance and breathing wise) the walk from the ship down the pier to the terminal and tour meeting points on port days is no big deal. For someone with breathing issues it can seem HUGE. For this, a wheelchair of ones own - rented or owned - may be good if this is an issue for your relative. Google images of the cruise ports you'll be visiting and take a look at each to help you determine whether you need a chair for excursion/ port days.

Good idea, I'll do that right now.

Once onboard, you will get a "feel" for the flow of passengers. Simply schedule what YOU want to do when others are not doing the same thing! If he needs a wheelchair, bring or rent one. Or, get one of those walkers with a seat...that's helpful.

Well, I think we'll be OK with the wheelchair assistance at embarkation/debarkation.

I did the google earth thing of all the ports, and they look manageable.

In San Juan, he's actually staying on the ship and will just sit on the balcony with the binoculars. We've been there before, and he doesn't want to slow the rest of us down with such a short time in port. We're planning to just walk through Old Town and possibly do the trolley - too much for him.

St. Maarten, we're doing the 1/2 day sail and snorkel through Carnival, thought that would be easier. He won't snorkel but will enjoy the boat ride.

St. Kitt's we're doing Greg's Safaris 4x4 jeep adventure (they do the driving). They'll meet us just outside the terminal, and that pier looks pretty short. Then all he has to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Grand Turk, we'll just find the nearest chaises that have shade and plop down for the day! I'll send a teen "scout" ahead to nail some down for us early, lol.

At least he's really looking forward to it and is being very positive, so hopefully things will go fine. And you're right, two weeks can make a difference both ways - if I see he needs it, I'll rent a w/c whether he wants one or not!

Once onboard, you will get a "feel" for the flow of passengers. Simply schedule what YOU want to do when others are not doing the same thing! If he needs a wheelchair, bring or rent one. Or, get one of those walkers with a seat...that's helpful.

The wheeled walker with the fold-down seat is what I was considering, but he's saying no to that right now. Pride, you know, will bite you in the rear every time!

Well, I think we'll be OK with the wheelchair assistance at embarkation/debarkation.

I did the google earth thing of all the ports, and they look manageable.

At least he's really looking forward to it and is being very positive, so hopefully things will go fine. And you're right, two weeks can make a difference both ways - if I see he needs it, I'll rent a w/c whether he wants one or not!

My DH is also very positive and the good thing about a cruise is that you can do as little or as much as you want :)

I'd say if there's any possibility of needing a chair - go ahead and rent one. Better to have it folded up in the corner unneeded it than needing it and not having it.:)

You'll be glad to know that the Breeze muster drill is held inside. The muster stations are the dining rooms and possibly some lounges. That's much more comfortable than having to stand outside shoulder to shoulder in rows in the heat for 30+ minutes.

Just curious, we recently went on the Glory sailed from Miami, actually right beside the Breeze the same day, and our embarkation process was very quick. I have read several reviews that stated like you did it wasn't quick at all but rather slow. Is this because of the size of the ship? Just wondering what to expect we will be sailing her in December. Also what about disembark, was it slower also? Trying to arrange a shuttle pick up and wondered when would be a good time. Thanks for any information!

In January and May of this year, Embarkation didn't actually start until noon or a little after. This is due to the fact that it takes longer to empty a 4000 person ship and have the customs clear it for embarkation. Then we saw the debark process and understood why. Very few people follow the rules that are given to them. Both times we were Platinum self -debark, and went at the time they called us which is basically first. When we got into the port terminal, the place was full with long lines. Including many people standing by the luggage areas waiting for bags to be taken off the ship. It appears that the crew did not do a good job or enforcing the procedures, or else they got so swamped with people coming at the wrong time that they had to let them get off just to keep the line moving rather than have a huge body-jam at the ship's exit doors. Either way, it was a real cluster FiretrUCK.

We're sailing her on July 18 with our 3 teen grandkids.

I've been reading some horror stories about embarkation, long waits for my time dining, pretty much overcrowding everywhere. I'm sure our sailing will be mobbed with families such as ours (yes, we are part of the problem, lol).

We were on this cruise last year and our cabin was on the Lido deck. Crowds will be everywhere, however it's some teens that don't play by the rules. What I have noticed blocks of teens staying in areas with no supervision from their parents. Chatter in the halls at 3:00am. Security will find them and locate their parents, but it might take two or three days for this to happen. Have fun and good luck, because some people really don't care about others because it's their vacation. Tip: Request a fan as soon as you board the ship.

Believe me, our teens will have rules set out before we board and I have no doubt they will be courteous and live up to our expectations. This is extremely special to them , something they don't take lightly, And they don't want to mess with Nana.

Why the suggestion for the fan? Are the cabins too warm or do we need one for background noise?

For embarkation...get to the terminal about 12:30..lines will be minimized. Do request assistance since the ramp is very steep. If you are onboard ship about 1:30 you can drop off your carry-ons and head up to the Cucina del Capitano for a "served" lunch of pasta, salad, and breadsticks with a beverage.

For dinner....go ahead and get there when you want, get a buzzer that says your table is ready and chill in a nice comfortable chair at the atrium.

For breakfast...use the dining room for full service, breakfast at port days and brunch at sea days. Or get up early and stop on the promenade deck at the ocean plaza for coffee, juice, cereal, muffins, or bagels (yum). You can also grab lunch there....great salads, soups and sandwiches.

If you do go to the buffet be there by eleven and other than the mongolian wok head to the rear of the buffet for no lines and more seating. The farther back you sit the less crowded.

On port days eat a hearty breakfast and wait until the thundering herds have exited the ship. Big difference in waiting 45 minutes.

For debarkation we always wait on ship until the bitter end. When we leave our luggage will be waiting for us in isolated splendor and there will be no lines at customs. The only issue is that when you do make it outside you are bombarded with all the early arrivals for the next cruise so plan accordingly.

For embarkation...get to the terminal about 12:30..lines will be minimized. Do request assistance since the ramp is very steep. If you are onboard ship about 1:30 you can drop off your carry-ons and head up to the Cucina del Capitano for a "served" lunch of pasta, salad, and breadsticks with a beverage.

For dinner....go ahead and get there when you want, get a buzzer that says your table is ready and chill in a nice comfortable chair at the atrium.

For breakfast...use the dining room for full service, breakfast at port days and brunch at sea days. Or get up early and stop on the promenade deck at the ocean plaza for coffee, juice, cereal, muffins, or bagels (yum). You can also grab lunch there....great salads, soups and sandwiches.

If you do go to the buffet be there by eleven and other than the mongolian wok head to the rear of the buffet for no lines and more seating. The farther back you sit the less crowded.

On port days eat a hearty breakfast and wait until the thundering herds have exited the ship. Big difference in waiting 45 minutes.

For debarkation we always wait on ship until the bitter end. When we leave our luggage will be waiting for us in isolated splendor and there will be no lines at customs. The only issue is that when you do make it outside you are bombarded with all the early arrivals for the next cruise so plan accordingly.

Great detailed advice - love it!!! Thanks so much. 12:30 for embarkation sounds perfect, too, as we have about a 4 1/2 hour drive from our home. Trying to get 3 teenagers up, round up all of their "stuff" and get going would be nearly impossible before 8 AM!