Power Strip

oxypete

.......... As I say, since there is ....... the hot legs, ........ flowing to ground........ so measuring these ...... is very important. ....... measures the ............ the two legs.

I'm always interested in seeing hot legs on a cruise. ;)

I sure am glad I have no idea what y'all are talkin' about.:rolleyes:

No idea either, however I have had my power board confiscated on RCL but have always used it on Princess, P&O, MSC.

Bottom line folks is that multiple outlet devices such as power strips, octo-plugs and so on are fine on ships as long as they do not have surge protectors. You don't need a surge protector on a ship anyway.

Treven: Don't use a lack of understanding as an excuse to ignore safety. Little children don't understand it isn't safe to cross a busy highway but that doesn't make it safe for them. Sometimes you just have to trust the grown-ups.

Gwendy: Just because Princess, P&O and MSC are not confiscating your surge protectors while you know RCL does (Carnival and HAL ban them as well) doesn't mean they are safe. THEY ARE NOT.

Edited by beg3yrs

Bottom line folks is that multiple outlet devices such as power strips, octo-plugs and so on are fine on ships as long as they do not have surge protectors. You don't need a surge protector on a ship anyway.

Thank you - that

is the guidance I was looking for. Appreicate everyone's input.

A "nerdy" discussion would quote Maxwell's equations. (A set of 4 partial differential equations that are really nerdy.)

Us engineers quote Ohm's law.

V=IR

Nerdy uses calculus, we use algebra.

Nerdy strives for exactitude, we say 'close enough'...

We KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), they pontificate...

And note that none of us have talked about Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Comicon, or any similar type event, or show...although Penny is pretty hot...

If you do not understand the technical issues here, you might want to go to this website:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

There is a great photo on the first page, showing what can happen to your cabin - and your life - if you choose to use a surge protector on a ship.

Edited by BruceMuzz

........k, a little lost with all that technical stuff, I just need to get something for multiple device use....... I'm just going to call the ship that I'm on and see what they recommend and I'll also take the persons name so I can blame them if something goes wrong lol:p

........k, a little lost with all that technical stuff, I just need to get something for multiple device use....... I'm just going to call the ship that I'm on and see what they recommend and I'll also take the persons name so I can blame them if something goes wrong lol:p

http://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/packing-for-a-princess-cruise-vacation.html#.Va-IIflVhBc

Check 4th paragraph. Pretty much telling people not to forget power strip.

The Company has spoken! I will still double-check with my TA. Remember, sure it was on Cruise Critic, a hint about taking a non-surge protected power strip still sealed in it's original packaging.

One thing I do at home, advised by a former work colleague when I complained about my laptop getting hot, was to use a cake cooling rack with folding legs with the legs near the hinge of the lid and base of the computer resting on the desk surface, and the other legs resting AGAINST the front edge of the desk so the computer is tilted slightly, and air can pass underneath the computer while it's being used. I'm using this method now, can't post a photo, hope I've been able to describe it accurately enough so I'm understood. Any questions, please ask!

I will be packing 2 cake cooling racks to bring with me so that all items being charged are elevated slightly from the desk surface with the laptop having it's own rack. I also won't be charging unless I am actually in the suite myself-I'm a fireman's daughter and heard many stories about fires caused when electrical items were left on beds-curling wand which shorted out the electric blanket that was left on is just one example. I intend to bring another camera battery and charger with me; will have my cell phone; the camera and the laptop computer so a 4 outlet board used under supervision should be safe enough.

Lots of useful information on Cruise Critic as usual. I always learn something when I log in, and look forward eagerly to the latest postings.

Power strip not a surge protector.

Yeah I understand that. But finding power strip without surge protection is not as easy as I thought. And the text does not say anywhere that surge protectors shouldn't be used. I guess the wording of the article does say about power strip, but it also assumes that people will bring surge protectors.

In fact, search for "Princess Cruiseline" and "Surge Protector" returns no official results.

Power strip OK

Power strip with surge protection - NOT OK.

See the post above this one. That's a good power strip.

Edited by beg3yrs

I guess the wording of the article does say about power strip, but it also assumes that people will bring surge protectors.

Wrong. The article makes no assumption at all. You are assuming that people will bring surge protectors because that's what you desire. Unfortunately, humans being what they are, your assumption is very likely correct.

That still does not mean the use of surge protectors on board ships is safe.

I see no reason to doubt the accuracy of the info provided by our "surge crusader" :D

In the past I had purchased this unit based on input from others here on CC.

Belkin_zpstoxpfr68.jpg

However, after reading the various posts regarding the use of surge protectors I have relegated this unit to use in hotels only. For use onboard ships I have purchased this unit instead.

Monster_zpscsohyryq.jpg

I'm willing to bow to the knowledge of others in a field which I know nothing about. I don't know why there has to be such drama involved or why people can't just accept that they don't understand the issues involved and use something without surge protection when on a ship. It seems pretty easy to me to conform to what the ship asks.

A read a post where someone had 2 labtops on a cruise and mentioned that there was a spike in the electrical current, they were working in the suite next to his stateroom, and both mother boards were fried. Everything was OK before he left for the cruise. Some people may say that this is impossible to happen but how do you explain what happened to this man. When he took the laptops into the shop for repair that's what was explained to him. That's why some of us prefer to use a surge protector, only while we're in the stateroom.

Tom😀

A read a post where someone had 2 labtops on a cruise and mentioned that there was a spike in the electrical current, they were working in the suite next to his stateroom, and both mother boards were fried. Everything was OK before he left for the cruise. Some people may say that this is impossible to happen but how do you explain what happened to this man. When he took the laptops into the shop for repair that's what was explained to him. That's why some of us prefer to use a surge protector, only while we're in the stateroom.

Tom😀

Please tell me how "they" working in the next cabin can cause voltage to increase? The only thing "they" could have done was to short something, which would cause a high current, but not in his laptop, or short something to ground, which again would cause a high current, but not a high voltage, though it might actually lower the voltage sensed at the laptop. Voltage spikes are caused by removing a large load suddenly, which is an extremely rare circumstance on a ship, and due to the inductance caused by all the transformers reducing the power from 10,000 volts to 120v, and all the motors onboard, this is greatly damped even if it does occur.

Please tell me the clamping voltage of your surge suppressor, and the joule rating, and the age of the unit. All of these factors will affect whether your surge suppressor will even protect your equipment in your home.

I was curious on this subject and after seeing one person publish a link to a Coast Guard paper on surge protectors and seeing another person saying that electricians would laugh about the article on surge protectors I decided to see what, if anything, Princess said about power strips and this is what I found.

Link to site on Princess.com:

http://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/packing-for-a-princess-cruise-vacation.html?zoom_highlight=power+strips#.VbAhOflBk-I

What is said on power strips at the above site:

"Because cruise trips are usually at least one week long, passengers should bring extra camera batteries and memory cards as well as a power strip to charge several electronics at once. "

This was the only hit that came up on a search of the Princess.com website for "power strip".

FYI.

Tom

I was curious on this subject and after seeing one person publish a link to a Coast Guard paper on surge protectors and seeing another person saying that electricians would laugh about the article on surge protectors I decided to see what, if anything, Princess said about power strips and this is what I found.

Link to site on Princess.com:

http://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/packing-for-a-princess-cruise-vacation.html?zoom_highlight=power+strips#.VbAhOflBk-I

What is said on power strips at the above site:

"Because cruise trips are usually at least one week long, passengers should bring extra camera batteries and memory cards as well as a power strip to charge several electronics at once. "

This was the only hit that came up on a search of the Princess.com website for "power strip".

FYI.

Tom

That's been posted earlier on this very page.

Power strips are not the same as surge protectors. Princess is not telling you it is OK to bring a surge protector, they are telling you it is OK to bring a power strip.

If your power strip contains a surge protector, leave it at home.

Edited by beg3yrs

That's been posted earlier on this very page.

Yep, missed seeing that. My error.

Power strips are not the same as surge protectors. Princess is not telling you it is OK to bring a surge protector, they are telling you it is OK to bring a power strip.

Never claimed that they were the same. But I can see why my including the quote about the surge protector may have led you to thinking that they were the same. Should have been clearer.

Tom