To get free excursions, my fare goes up?

hrprof

Just booked a Canal cruise at end of August 2016 while onboard Riviera. O Life perks were not listed in brochure. But they were added to the invoice with no price increase. Still got "book onboard" discounts.

Is that on the Regatta Aug 31st?

If so it has the O life package on the website

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/san-francisco-to-new-york-REG160831/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2016|08%23destinations%3Dcaribbean

Maybe the brochure was printed before the new program

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/san-francisco-to-new-york-REG160831/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2016|08%23destinations%3Dcaribbean

Did it book at the old price (listed in the brochure) or new O Life price listed on the web (minus the onboard booking discount)?

Yes -Regatta SF to NYC

I had a couple of brochures in hand (and the web) all on or around the June to July change from YWYW to O Life. The cheapest brochure price was before the end of June - no YWYW perks but several hundred dollars off as part of Sirena welcome. Deposited on Riviera on about 7/10. Their onboard paper brochures listed many O Life Cruises. But the 8/31 Canal cruise was not one of them. Price was higher (reflecting the June 30 end of the Sirena welcome discount). But that appeared to be the only difference in price. Got the invoice with O Life included but no added brochure cost. "Book onboard" discount of $250 (B2) was also figured in and received the customary $100 OBC for current cruise.

I will go back and redo the math when I get a chance. The only downside of this cruise is the air credit, which is only $350. I've confirmed that onboard, on web and with TA. Fortunately, we're in SF and I trust that I can get business tix back from NYC with some reasonable mix of United miles and $. BTW, TA chipping in $750 OBC.

Yes -Regatta SF to NYC

I had a couple of brochures in hand (and the web) all on or around the June to July change from YWYW to O Life. The cheapest brochure price was before the end of June - no YWYW perks but several hundred dollars off as part of Sirena welcome. Deposited on Riviera on about 7/10. Their onboard paper brochures listed many O Life Cruises. But the 8/31 Canal cruise was not one of them. Price was higher (reflecting the June 30 end of the Sirena welcome discount). But that appeared to be the only difference in price. Got the invoice with O Life included but no added brochure cost. "Book onboard" discount of $250 (B2) was also figured in and received the customary $100 OBC for current cruise.

I will go back and redo the math when I get a chance. The only downside of this cruise is the air credit, which is only $350. I've confirmed that onboard, on web and with TA. Fortunately, we're in SF and I trust that I can get business tix back from NYC with some reasonable mix of United miles and $. BTW, TA chipping in $750 OBC.

So I made the time to redo the math.

Pre-6/30 B2 orig. brochure $ w/air $6599

Pre-6/30 Sirena welcome discount $6299

7/10 onboard brochure $ no O Life $6699

7/10 onboard "retail" invoice O Life $6699

7/10 onboard discount invoice w/O $6449

7/10 onboard final $ w/O + w/o air. $6099

So not counting the Sirena limited time deal, it looks like the new price is $150 more w/ O Life added. Did this in a hurry. Will recheck later.

So not counting the Sirena limited time deal, it looks like the new price is $150 more w/ O Life added. Did this in a hurry. Will recheck later.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

As far as I can tell, in essence, the O Life added $100 to the price ($6599 vs $6699)? If so, I am sure you'll get more than $100 worth of perks from O Life. :)

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

As far as I can tell, in essence, the O Life added $100 to the price ($6599 vs $6699)? If so, I am sure you'll get more than $100 worth of perks from O Life. :)

Yes -thanks for simplifying. Too bad the Sirena thing wasn't extended.

Confused

You said you a Panama trip

Just booked a Canal cruise at end of August 2016 while onboard Riviera.

Not sure the connection to Sirena pricing ...maybe I need more coffee

Edited by LHT28

Confused

You said you a Panama tripJust booked a Canal cruise at end of August 2016 while onboard Riviera.

Not sure the connection to Sirena pricing ...maybe I need more coffee

When Sirena was announced, there was a sort of welcome Sirena limited time offer on all sorts of O Cruises (across all O ships)- kind of like a sale at all Home Depots when a new one opens. On this Regatta cruise, it knocked $300 off the $6599 B2 price for a limited time (that ended on 6/30/15).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

When Sirena was announced, there was a sort of welcome Sirena limited time offer on all sorts of O Cruises (across all O ships)- kind of like a sale at all Home Depots when a new one opens. On this Regatta cruise, it knocked $300 off the $6599 B2 price for a limited time (that ended on 6/30/15).

Gotcha

I guess I was not interested in the offers at the time :D

With the Olife inclusion of tours, it really diminishes anyone finding others to do private tours with them.

I feel sorry for all those private tour operators that will lose business from O passengers.

If you want to do private tours, you pretty much have to go alone, maybe finding one more couple , if you are lucky. But getting a low price on them , if you have 12, is over. So now the private tours will be more expensive, further making them obsolete.

O passengers will be more or less confined to bus loads of O sponsored tours.

With the Olife inclusion of tours, it really diminishes anyone finding others to do private tours with them.

I feel sorry for all those private tour operators that will lose business from O passengers.

If you want to do private tours, you pretty much have to go alone, maybe finding one more couple , if you are lucky. But getting a low price on them , if you have 12, is over. So now the private tours will be more expensive, further making them obsolete.

O passengers will be more or less confined to bus loads of O sponsored tours.

If you have 8 ports & get 4 excursions "free" there are still 4 ports where people will book private tours if that is what they want

I do not think all O passengers will be doing the "free" tours at each port

I would choose private tour over the bus load ;)

JMO

And some people will ALWAYS book private tours, even if only for two, because they don't want to be on a bus with forty other people and a rigid agenda.

Trust me, those people are increasingly few and far between these days, particularly if they perceive that they have "paid" for the included excursions...

Speaking only for myself, I might take 1 or 2 of the Olife tours, but they'd have to be itineraries we want to see. I doubt I'd book all of the ones available, free or not. And we are people who DO occasionally take ship's tours.

I may be concerned down the road if I have trouble finding people with whom to share private tours, but I'm not anticipating that will be the case. And I'm definitely not assuming that will be the case.

Mura

I agree with Stan & Jim, however I also agree with Mura-I would never take a Bus tour, just to many people and you spend to much time at one place (just because you have 40+ people on one tour). I want to see what I want to see at my pace, and want to get back to the ship when I want to get back. If I see to much packaged (cost to me) I may book with some other than "O". I really like "O", but. That's why I change TA's because I can get a lot more OBC from the one I use now, even booking "O". I like booking the bigger suites because of the extra's.

Rick

Trust me, those people are increasingly few and far between these days, particularly if they perceive that they have "paid" for the included excursions...

My point exactly. You are paying for what they say is included. Which is why I would never sail on Regent again and will sat away from O unless they change back their policy. Let's hope it

doesn't become permanent.

My point exactly. You are paying for what they say is included. Which is why I would never sail on Regent again and will sat away from O unless they change back their policy. Let's hope it

Life is always a compromise, my friend. and you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

I could probably cite twenty other items which are already included in the cruise which you don't use, so why does the idea of the excursions being "included" irk you so?

I'll tell you a dirty little secret, I was VERY against the idea of the "free shuttles", but if I've been to a Port five or six times, I've been known to use one.

I am in the same boat as you. But - if the included excursions are limited, for example, to 4 on a 10 day cruise - the fare is still less that Regent. And there is still opportunity to do Private Tours or anything else. They might be worthwhile in some ports but not all.

Life is always a compromise, my friend. and you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

I could probably cite twenty other items which are already included in the cruise which you don't use, so why does the idea of the excursions being "included" irk you so?

I'll tell you a dirty little secret, I was VERY against the idea of the "free shuttles", but if I've been to a Port five or six times, I've been known to use one.

All those other things were included before they raised the fares to include shore excursions. I'm not saying everyone will agree but I am not letting my emotions cloud my judgement, only my abhorrence for bus tours.

I received an email from my TA stating the O'life promotion ends Sept. 30th. Hopefully, this addresses our concerns if whether or not it is here to stay. Then again, if Oceania deems the promotion successful, I'm sure we'll see it again.

I received an email from my TA stating the O'life promotion ends Sept. 30th. Hopefully, this addresses our concerns if whether or not it is here to stay. Then again, if Oceania deems the promotion successful, I'm sure we'll see it again.

Your TA is correct.

"O Life," like "Last Call," and "YWOS" before them, is subject to O's "standard terms" (go to O website, click O Life "view offer" in header pics and then choose "view complete terms"). All fares and prices currently in special promotions end on September 30, 2015 just like all previous fares and prices ended on June 30, 2015.

When we recently "booked on board" Riviera for a Panama Canal voyage (August 31, 2016), we were informed that O Life would be available, at least, through this summer (2015) and, at least, for the "2016 summer collection." Though the O ambassador did not commit to a definitive statement, it was clear that O Life was the replacement deal for YWOS (which kept getting extended) and that the addition of excursions was intended to replace O's shipboard credit (but not TA's). From a business standpoint: pretty good idea - Better control passenger use of OBC while chipping away at rep for "expensive tours."

Like with travel insurance policies and credit card travel benefits, it's important to read the fine print. In fact, the perfect gift for the modern traveler is a good magnifying glass.

On that somewhat related subject, my "let's spend some of my retirement time reading fine print" choice has informed my recent decision regarding which companies comprise my "holy trinity" of trip protection (given our circumstances). But, that's another thread.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We're new to Oceania...just booked our first cruise on Insignia for September 2016...but we did think that "O Life" was a good offer and value. Having already selected the 5 shore excursions each that came with O Life, their value plus the PPG alone added up to substantially more than any OBC we would have received. Our TA also negotiated additional savings on the fare so, even if October brings a lower offer, we would be quite satisfied with our deal. (Besides, we booked the last available VS so we wouldn't have waited.)