Maintenance work on the Eclipse

gadabout60

Currently on the 14 night Baltic cruise. For the last 4 days we have had to put up with intermittent banging, drilling and hammering noises in our cabin, today starting before 8.30 am

Have been complaining and they are supposedly now only going to do the work for 2 x 2 hour sessions per day. Asked how long this is going to last and told - eight months!

If you like a peaceful time in your cabin might be worth checking if you are going to be affected. It has certainly marred my downtime

Is this work being conducted throughout the ship or specific areas?

Think specific areas. Certainly the cabins on our part of the floor - starboard level 7 affected. We were told it is work to the funnel but tbh you get different stories from whoever you speak to

Fore, midships or aft?

Going on this cruise on Saturday and am starboard on deck 7

Surely the sensible thing would be do perform the work whilst people are likely to be off the ship.

Talk to the Hotel Director immediately. They owe you a discount on a future cruise plus dinner in spacialty restaurant and maybe a massage. You would hear me complaining all the way back to Miami.

I have received discounts for future cruises twice due to issues during cruise. Don't take no for an answer. Don't waste your time talking to customer service. Make an appointment immediately with Hotel Director.

We are midship heading towards aft

Today we have been told work being carried out 10-12 and 5-7. We are in Copenhagen today for a long day then two sea days.

I was amazed at being told 8 months last night. No-one is volunteering anything - we have to keep asking.

We were offered a future cruise certificate but have turned it down as we had already decided that we won't be cruising with celebrity for the next few years as we like to cruise out of the UK and have done everything they offer at least once.

They have given us a free dinner in one of the speciality restaurants

We'll see what the day brings

Thanks for the heads up.

We also cruise on Saturday, mid- ship deck 6 starboard.

Please report back after your cruise. I am concerned about the 8 months timescale. We are due to sail mid-ships in January [only 5 months away].

We were on Eclipse in May shortly after this work began. We took a tour of the ship and part of it was in the engine room. This work IS an 8 month project, it is work on the engines, or some part of the mechanics of the ship, I don't remember the specific explanation. We heard some pounding during the day, we were mid ship on deck 11, but it was not so bad that it would disturb sleep and it didn't occur during normal sleeping hours. We had wondered what the noise was and once it was explained it was fine. Don't know if its significantly louder the lower you go or not. Anyway the work began during the drydock in early April and if it is an 8 month project than should be over by year end. Hope that helps someone.....

Edited by Gracie115

Kinda wonder why the other S Class have not had the same problem, whatever that problem is with the funnel.

It's NOT a problem per se....it is a rebuild to improve engine function....and most likely all the "S" class will undergo at some point...Eclipse was in its required 5 year engine check when the work began during its April drydock.

Talk to the Hotel Director immediately. They owe you a discount on a future cruise plus dinner in spacialty restaurant and maybe a massage. You would hear me complaining all the way back to Miami.

I have received discounts for future cruises twice due to issues during cruise. Don't take no for an answer. Don't waste your time talking to customer service. Make an appointment immediately with Hotel Director.

I agree with the above. We ran into this on one cruise and received a future cruise credit for a discount on a future cruise.

[YOUTUBE]az3hanYsbB4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Lsimon

Why are we just now hearing about this work? :rolleyes: Or at least I am. Haven't seen if mentioned before.

We leave towards the end of October to sail on the Eclipse. The sailing is far from being sold out. Now I wonder if this work is the reason.:rolleyes:

Shouldn't passengers be warned ahead of time and have a choice if they want to sail on a ship that is having constant work being done? Hotels usually announce any construction going on in and around their building.

We have final payment due this coming Friday (to our TA.) If it were not for all the pre-cruise arrangements we have made in London, we might consider cancelling.

I sure hope that the noise will be less by the time we sail. A 10:00-12:00 time is fine if noise is going on near staterooms, but 5:00-7:00 is when we are normally resting and then getting ready for the evening.

Lsimon - That type of work should be done when the ship is taken out of service. I would have been livid! :eek: Did you have any warning before the cruise that this was going to happen?

We encountered some construction noise from Luminae while in the MDR late seating one evening when on a ship last Winter. It was not terribly distracting, and was stopped after the Maitre'd complained.

Gadabout60 - So sorry that you are having to go through this on your cruise. :(

Edited by Iamthesea

If it takes 8 months worth of work to install scrubbers how could that possibly be done when the ship is out of service? Think about it...

EXACTLY! The work has to be done...they CAN'T take the ship out of service for 8 months. Not ALL the work involves noise. We didn't find it an issue at all once we knew what it was.....it's not like they are pounding on your door or anything.....and it was always during daylight hours, port hours.... We spent 16 days on Eclipse and heard it on many occasions....perhaps if you were right next to the work being done it's worse but it was nothing but a curiosity to us, and once that was solved we just ignored it....

Hi Jackie and Adrian. We are on the Eclipse in September, on Deck 6 Starboard side, mid ships and would appreciate hearing from you after your cruise as to how much of a nuisance this work is causing. Thank you.

If it takes 8 months worth of work to install scrubbers how could that possibly be done when the ship is out of service? Think about it...

EXACTLY! The work has to be done...they CAN'T take the ship out of service for 8 months. Not ALL the work involves noise. We didn't find it an issue at all once we knew what it was.....it's not like they are pounding on your door or anything.....and it was always during daylight hours, port hours.... We spent 16 days on Eclipse and heard it on many occasions....perhaps if you were right next to the work being done it's worse but it was nothing but a curiosity to us, and once that was solved we just ignored it....

If you are responding to me, my reply was to Lsimon about the work being done in the PH, not the 8 month work. ;) The work on the PH deck could/should have been done when the ship was in dry dock.

Well heard no noise this morning BUT got back mid afternoon for a snooze and it has started again at 3.50pm

Called guest relations and asked why this happening outside of the hours we had been told. Explained that we are trying to be understanding and work round the times they have given us. Implied to us that we are the only people complaining - we are not. Was told it would stop - it hasn't though not as noisy as earlier.

Am going to ask to speak to the hotel director

I am currently midship on deck 11 have been on the ship all day and have no heard anything beyond the normal moving of chairs early each morning on deck 12. That is not to dispute experience of the OP.

Thanks. Your post and the previous one stating that the work should be completed prior to our cruise has reassured me.

Yorkshire-pudding - glad you are not affected. I suspect it's only in certain parts though that could move over the 8 months

I am fed up with being told a different story by each person you speak to in guest relations.

Am waiting to hear when I can see the hotel director