Maintenance work on the Eclipse

gadabout60

[quote name='rcixfan5']We were on Eclipse for May 30 2015 sailing and heard the scrubber work daily. We were in CS 1618 on deck 11. They used the crew doors (staircase) just aft of the aft elevators often (about two rooms further aft than ours).

Our experience was like others mentioned, it was there but not a huge bother. Most noticeable in the bathroom probably because of pipes. Work was always done just after getting to port or just before leaving port.

We had family traveling on deck 8 almost right below us, they didn't hear anything the whole cruise.

I would suspect with that long of a project (engineer confirmed it at the technical talk towards the end of the cruise that it was scrubbers being installed) the noise changes location and type of noise as the work progresses. Hard to say what anyone will experience in advance. They are trying to be considerate, but noise travels far through steel and concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll just have to hope for the best. As long as we're not kept up all night or too early in the morning.

[quote name='crystalgirl1']I've just had an email from my TA. She had contacted Celebrity and they say the work was completed in April. I hope this is correct.[/QUOTE]

Thank You for the information. Even with work going on, I was reticent to move, since we booked this cabin especially for the large balcony. We will be sailing out of Southampton on Nov 1, so the balcony most likely will not be in use until we hit Bermuda, 2/3 of the way through the cruise.

Happy sailing!

Stan

[quote name='crystalgirl1']I've just had an email from my TA. She had contacted Celebrity and they say the work was completed in April. I hope this is correct.[/QUOTE]

That's simply not true. I can confirm noisy work carried out on several days of our 2 week July holiday and we were told it was an 8 month project
Suggest your travel agent confirms with the hotel director with whom we met- as far as I can recall his name was Mark Zeller

No that is not true....the drydock was in April when many things were completed....but the drydock was only 10 days long....this is an 8 month project.....

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='rcixfan5']We were on Eclipse for May 30 2015 sailing and heard the scrubber work daily. We were in CS 1618 on deck 11. They used the crew doors (staircase) just aft of the aft elevators often (about two rooms further aft than ours).

Our experience was like others mentioned, it was there but not a huge bother. Most noticeable in the bathroom probably because of pipes. Work was always done just after getting to port or just before leaving port.

We had family traveling on deck 8 almost right below us, they didn't hear anything the whole cruise.

I would suspect with that long of a project (engineer confirmed it at the technical talk towards the end of the cruise that it was scrubbers being installed) the noise changes location and type of noise as the work progresses. Hard to say what anyone will experience in advance. They are trying to be considerate, but noise travels far through steel and concrete.

We stayed in 1632 a few of years ago and the same door caused a fair amount of noise then. We were in 1618 in March with no noise although that may be before this started.

We are just back from our Eclipse cruise
Our cabin was just astern of midships (cannot be more specific) and the noise was very bad
Work starts at 8am and they try (not always the case) to not start drilling/grinding/winching until after 10am prompt.
At 8am you can hear metal grinding and banging most days.
The issue I had was that they try to justify 10am-12 and 5pm-7 as acceptable - the lack of any forewarning from celebrity bookings is disgraceful and unacceptable.
The guest relations people try their best calling the workers to stop whenever you report noise - but it all restarts 10 minutes later and its a never ending circle of call, quiet and noise restarts.
Be warned if you are in an affected cabin and you sleep in after 8am you will be disturbed.
I would recommend contacting Celebrity before you leave and get it in writing that your cabin will or will not be affected - this helps the guest relations people in their sterling efforts to assist.
At the end of the day its down to Celebrity head office to warn you if their noise will disturb you.
Bon Voyage!

I just can't understand it. If the reason of this everlasting noise really is for a New "Scrubber-system" i really can't understand it.....
In Europe they do this when ship is docked and its done in 14 days or so - Even On the biggest car-ferrys. Why in h... Did not celebrity do this when the ship had it's docking in april this year ????? And what got celebrity into the idea of doing it when ship is at sea ????
Do they just give a **** about their customers - or did they never think that this could harm any travellers ????

I just wonder WHY ????

Hi. I have seen a few responses from Celebrity at times on these Boards and would really appreciate some official advice as to whether the noise issue is likely to affect our future cruise. We are on the Eclipse from 13th September, sailing to the Canaries and Azores, we are on Deck 6, mid ships and starboard side. If there is a chance that our peace will be disturbed, I would prefer to know beforehand, at which time I can see whether I can raise additional funds to upgrade to a different part/deck of the ship - if this will even avoid the situation. I do appreciate that some passengers are not being disturbed at all, which is why some information from Celebrity would really help!!

[quote name='2ig2ag']We are just back from our Eclipse cruise
Our cabin was just astern of midships (cannot be more specific) and the noise was very bad
Work starts at 8am and they try (not always the case) to not start drilling/grinding/winching until after 10am prompt.
At 8am you can hear metal grinding and banging most days.
The issue I had was that they try to justify 10am-12 and 5pm-7 as acceptable - the lack of any forewarning from celebrity bookings is disgraceful and unacceptable.
The guest relations people try their best calling the workers to stop whenever you report noise - but it all restarts 10 minutes later and its a never ending circle of call, quiet and noise restarts.
Be warned if you are in an affected cabin and you sleep in after 8am you will be disturbed.
I would recommend contacting Celebrity before you leave and get it in writing that your cabin will or will not be affected - this helps the guest relations people in their sterling efforts to assist.
At the end of the day its down to Celebrity head office to warn you if their noise will disturb you.
Bon Voyage![/QUOTE]

An actual cabin number would be helpful for those of us with upcoming cruises.

[quote name='dun123das']Hi. I have seen a few responses from Celebrity at times on these Boards and would really appreciate some official advice as to whether the noise issue is likely to affect our future cruise. [B][COLOR="SandyBrown"][COLOR="Red"]We are on the Eclipse from 13th September, sailing to the Canaries and Azores, we are on Deck 6, mid ships and starboard side. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] If there is a chance that our peace will be disturbed, I would prefer to know beforehand, at which time I can see whether I can raise additional funds to upgrade to a different part/deck of the ship - if this will even avoid the situation. I do appreciate that some passengers are not being disturbed at all, which is why some information from Celebrity would really help!![/QUOTE]

See post 55.

[quote name='Gordoncruickshank']We stayed in 1632 a few of years ago and the same door caused a fair amount of noise then. We were in 1618 in March with no noise although that may be before this started.[/QUOTE]

We were also in 1618 on the TA immediately after the drydock and while we occasionally heard the noise the only thing of note about it was that we didn't know what it was...once we learned what it was, satisfying our curiosity, we never even made note of it again when it happened....it just wasn't loud enough to disturb you, at least in that location, and I am very light sleeper.....

It is an 8 MONTH project.....it could NOT be completed in a 10 day dry dock.....

Hi. I have seen a few responses from Celebrity at times on these Boards and would really appreciate some official advice as to whether the noise issue is likely to affect our future cruise. We are on the Eclipse from 13th September, sailing to the Canaries and Azores, we are on Deck 6, mid ships and starboard side. If there is a chance that our peace will be disturbed, I would prefer to know beforehand, at which time I can see whether I can raise additional funds to upgrade to a different part/deck of the ship - if this will even avoid the situation. I do appreciate that some passengers are not being disturbed at all, which is why some information from Celebrity would really help!!

[quote name='Abernhar']I just can't understand it. If the reason of this everlasting noise really is for a New "Scrubber-system" ?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-steaming-ahead-toward-global-emissions-standards/[/url]

[url]http://www.exxonmobil.com/MarineLubes-En/your-industry_hot-topics_emission-control-area-2015.aspx[/url]

It is far more reaching than just a few days in port. It impacts the baltics and most of the USA coast areas (like 200 miles out).

It is not just RCL either, this is an industry wide change impacting all ships and ferries.

In short, it allows the ship to continue using fuel (HFO - Heavy Fuel Oil) that it currently uses, cleaning the exhaust before it leaves the smokestack of the ship. To comply with the requirements of the ECA they would have to use one of several alternate fuels, most of which are 3x the cost of HFO. Somewhere around 40-70% of your cruise fare is fuel cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app Edited by rcixfan5

Just off Eclipse yesterday, deck 6 midship starboard NO noise, NO disturbance. Only maintenance witnessed sanding and renewing stair steps to deck 15 from deck 14 outside, removed the varnished handrails on deck 5 starboard, obviously sanded and re varnished elsewhere then replaced and they painted the white of same railings. Everyone coughing and sneezing everywhere was more of a disturbance!

[quote name='rcixfan5'][url]http://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-steaming-ahead-toward-global-emissions-standards/[/url]

[url]http://www.exxonmobil.com/MarineLubes-En/your-industry_hot-topics_emission-control-area-2015.aspx[/url]

It is far more reaching than just a few days in port. It impacts the baltics and most of the USA coast areas (like 200 miles out).

It is not just RCL either, this is an industry wide change impacting all ships and ferries.

In short, it allows the ship to continue using fuel (HFO - Heavy Fuel Oil) that it currently uses, cleaning the exhaust before it leaves the smokestack of the ship. To comply with the requirements of the ECA they would have to use one of several alternate fuels, most of which are 3x the cost of HFO. Somewhere around 40-70% of your cruise fare is fuel cost.

Thank you for providing more details of the work that is going on...it's important and has to be done......and aside from one poster who stated it bothered them somewhat EVERY other poster has stated, like us, that they heard it and it wasn't an issue or they never heard noise from this work at all....

[quote name='rcixfan5'][url]http://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-steaming-ahead-toward-global-emissions-standards/[/url]

Thx for the info.
Never the less, i'm pretty sure this could have been done in dock, but it might been cheaper to have the manufactorers crew onboard and do the work when in Europe. And i'm Even more sure that this will not be RCCL solution to all the ship in the flest - they will probably arrange to do this when it's docked.
As i wrote earlier today, this work is already done On mann Large european Carferrys. But it's Great to se that rccl will do Even more than tha necesarry.

[quote name='Abernhar']Thx for the info.
Never the less, i'm pretty sure this could have been done in dock, but it might been cheaper to have the manufactorers crew onboard and do the work when in Europe. And i'm Even more sure that this will not be RCCL solution to all the ship in the flest - they will probably arrange to do this when it's docked.
As i wrote earlier today, this work is already done On mann Large european Carferrys. But it's Great to se that rccl will do Even more than tha necesarry.[/QUOTE]

According to engineering crew on Eclipse it will indeed be done the same way on all their ships....and no way it can be completed in a 10 day dry dock....

[quote name='Abernhar']Thx for the info.
As i wrote earlier today, this work is already done On mann Large european Carferrys. But it's Great to se that rccl will do Even more than tha necesarry.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how an 8 month project can get done in 10 days of drydock.

It's all about economics, a ship in drydock loses over half a million a day in revenue, while still incurring the bulk of expense (save for fuel, which costs are offset by dryadic rent and extra laborers) as staff still need paid and fed.

We have no idea how much ongoing maintenance happens on ships. They paint every day, they varnish railings every day, they clean carpets every day, its' a never ending rotation of maintenance, that affects a very relative low number of people at any one time, so much so that many don't understand the continuous maintenance they never see.

[quote name='Gracie115']Thank you for providing more details of the work that is going on...it's important and has to be done......and aside from one poster who stated it bothered them somewhat EVERY other poster has stated, like us, that they heard it and it wasn't an issue or they never heard noise from this work at all....[/QUOTE]

Gracie

I believe two of us have stated on here that we have been considerably affected. I also spoke to others on the ship who were affected. Remember only a small percentage of cruisers come on here.

I am glad you didn't have a problem but that doesn't mean it wasn't a problem for others. Even if only a handful of people were affected it is important to them. Celebrity should have anticipated the problem and moved us. This cruise wasn't sold out in April when they knew they were doing this so they could easily have retained some cabins to move those affected

Here's a couple good articles on the programs.

[url]http://www.alaskapublic.org/2015/03/16/scrubbers-to-cut-cruise-ship-pollution/[/url]

[url]http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-to-retrofit-scrubbers-on-19-rci-celebrity-ships.html?nspPage=47[/url]

[quote name='gadabout60']Gracie

I believe two of us have stated on here that we have been considerably affected. I also spoke to others on the ship who were affected. Remember only a small percentage of cruisers come on here.

I am glad you didn't have a problem but that doesn't mean it wasn't a problem for others. Even if only a handful of people were affected it is important to them. Celebrity should have anticipated the problem and moved us. This cruise wasn't sold out in April when they knew they were doing this so they could easily have retained some cabins to move those affected[/QUOTE]

Not doubting at all that some were affected...as I said in my first post on this thread...we could hear it...but it didn't bother us..

I am not certain, but this may be the first ship for X that is undergoing this procedure and it may be that they didn't realize that the noise would affect some cabins......as I said, "may" who knows the real story.... the work does have to be done and they couldn't possibly take a ship out of commission to do it AND it would probably be difficult to determine which guests would be bothered and which wouldn't. The times that the noise occurred would not create a problem for us....for you it did...for others it did not.....so it is a difficult call for X and seemingly unfair for you, because it did impact your cruise....kind of a "catch 22" situation....I am glad they are doing the work...I am sorry anyone's vacation is affected...on the Eclipse TA that we were on we had over 400 people on our roll call and I've seen no mention from any of them that they were bothered....doesn't mean they weren't but not enough to mention it on the forums...none the less I'm sorry you were and hopefully as the work goes along there will be less intrusive noise....yes it is an 8 month project, but I'm sure there are different phazes to it...hopefully the louder part of the work is complete....

Another good one, with pictures of the systems.

[url]http://www.******************.com/2014/12/22/royal-caribbean-add-scrubbers-most-of-its-cruise-ships-reduce-environmental-impact[/url] (EDIT: oops, guess this site os blocked on CC)

Maybe this works: [url]http://www.green4sea.com/demand-grows-alfa-laval-puresox-scrubbers/[/url]

The press release from DECEMBER, 2014

[url]http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle_Print&ID=2001601[/url]

I've seen someplace in investor related information, the cost of this project but can not find it anywhere...anyone else know where it is?

Carnival is spending $400 million on its 70 ships to install the systems.

I swore it was in a 10K or 10Q, but haven't been able to find reference to it. Edited by cle-guy