President's Picks

InTheWASide

I'm surprised that Sevastopol in the Ukraine is being advertised. Aren't they still fighting there?

Scott & Karen

Nope, the fighting is in Eastern Ukraine. The naval city of Sevastopol is on the Crimean peninsula which is now (after being "taken over") part of Mother Russia

Edited by Copper10-8

sppunk,

I do not think that these are reintroductions of "old" Grand Voyages unless you are talking about Grand Voyages before 2000. That is when we started taking them. Of course my memory could be failing me quicker than I thought.

For some time now the Grand Voyages were much longer and while some of the ports are certainly the same, the overall route has not been what these cruises are for at least the past decade+.

sppunk,

I do not think that these are reintroductions of "old" Grand Voyages unless you are talking about Grand Voyages before 2000. That is when we started taking them. Of course my memory could be failing me quicker than I thought.

For some time now the Grand Voyages were much longer and while some of the ports are certainly the same, the overall route has not been what these cruises are for at least the past decade+.

Ah, I might indeed be mistaken. Two of those itineraries seem awfully familiar, but honestly it's so easy to forget certain ports over in the Med IMO. :)

Ah, I might indeed be mistaken. Two of those itineraries seem awfully familiar, but honestly it's so easy to forget certain ports over in the Med IMO. :)

The first 2 Med cruises shown are P'dam itineraries and they are not new ones.

Very similar to what we did the previous years, except Sevestapol was cancelled. No wonder they look awfully familiar ;)

Earlier this year we were actually considering one of the Holy Land cruises but dealing with another long flight pair and the uncertainty in the region caused us to look elsewhere. I do agree with Mr. Ashford that Istanbul is a wonderful city to visit and hope to return some day.

This is also a good way to fill up cruises that may be undersold. I like the added option of getting on the ship in Honolulu and then going all the way to Chile. I can't do that now, but maybe someday!

The first 2 Med cruises shown are P'dam itineraries and they are not new ones.

Very similar to what we did the previous years, except Sevestapol was cancelled. No wonder they look awfully familiar ;)

Yes, the first two Med cruises on the Prinsendam are not new. We have been booked on them for almost a year. What is new is the ability to embark/disembark in Istanbul (our legs are from Athens). And the ship is not going to Sevestapol. Varna Bulgaria was substituted some time ago. The map was not changed, but if you click through and look at the daily itinerary you will see Varna.

We have noticed that HAL have been struggling to fill the Eastern Med cruises this season. This would appear to be another rebranding exercise to get bums on seats. Given the unrest within the region and the Internet chatter regarding Istanbul, I do not find this entirely surprising and I would not chose to cruise this area at the present time.

Earlier this year we were actually considering one of the Holy Land cruises but dealing with another long flight pair and the uncertainty in the region caused us to look elsewhere. I do agree with Mr. Ashford that Istanbul is a wonderful city to visit and hope to return some day.

This is also a good way to fill up cruises that may be undersold. I like the added option of getting on the ship in Honolulu and then going all the way to Chile. I can't do that now, but maybe someday!

Now, if they would just add boarding in Honolulu and cruising to Australia/New Zealand.:D

I think it is interesting that the Med cruises are being called "Explorer" cruises. That was the designation given to the Volendam's Maiden Asia Pacific cruise in 2002 which had all the trappings of a Grand Voyage of today (i.e. special criuse logo, pillow gifts, special dinners, some menus that reflected the region being sailed (i.e. fillet of Kangaroo), etc.

I think it is interesting that the Med cruises are being called "Explorer" cruises. That was the designation given to the Volendam's Maiden Asia Pacific cruise in 2002 which had all the trappings of a Grand Voyage of today (i.e. special criuse logo, pillow gifts, special dinners, some menus that reflected the region being sailed (i.e. fillet of Kangaroo), etc.

Yes! Great cruises under that designation. Not quite Grands but close enough!

Plus a lot of decorating for special theme evenings. The pillow gifts were very good quality and useful, too!

I'd be happy if HAL brought those Explorer cruises back!

Yes! Great cruises under that designation. Not quite Grands but close enough!

Plus a lot of decorating for special theme evenings. The pillow gifts were very good quality and useful, too!

I'd be happy if HAL brought those Explorer cruises back!

I 100% agree!

Interesting that Mr Ashford is part of the marketing plan. I don't remember Mr Kruse in this role, so this is a change worth watching.

Neither do I. Mr. Kruse and his entourage made an appearance during the Grand World Voyage, but never in any kind of marketing plan.

There are at least 3 cruise lines that have "President's Cruises" where the CEO is the "host" for the cruise: Regent, Oceania, and Celebrity. There probably are others as well. It would be great if Mr. Ashford would host such a cruise or two. I would enjoy inviting him to join me in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest for an adult beverage or two and conversing with him.

Neither do I. Mr. Kruse and his entourage made an appearance during the Grand World Voyage, but never in any kind of marketing plan.

There are at least 3 cruise lines that have "President's Cruises" where the CEO is the "host" for the cruise: Regent, Oceania, and Celebrity. There probably are others as well. It would be great if Mr. Ashford would host such a cruise or two. I would enjoy inviting him to join me in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest for an adult beverage or two and conversing with him.

Well, maybe this is just a marketing plan that he is lending his name to, but you never know! He is certainly more of a "people" person than anyone at HAL other that Gerald Bernhoft (Mariner Society).

Edited by SilvertoGold

We chatted with Orlando Ashford on the world cruise this year, and he seems very open to cruisers' suggestions. As a matter of fact, the 2017 world cruise itinerary was changed significantly after talking with passengers on the 2015 world. I think that is why it was so late coming out (end of June instead of end of May.

He's a nice guy and seems to be listening (and willing to adjust things) to what we want.

leslie

We have noticed that HAL have been struggling to fill the Eastern Med cruises this season. This would appear to be another rebranding exercise to get bums on seats. Given the unrest within the region and the Internet chatter regarding Istanbul, I do not find this entirely surprising and I would not chose to cruise this area at the present time.

Is it true they are having trouble booking Eastern Med cruises this summer? If so, I wonder if that is true for other cruise lines?

We chatted with Orlando Ashford on the world cruise this year, and he seems very open to cruisers' suggestions. As a matter of fact, the 2017 world cruise itinerary was changed significantly after talking with passengers on the 2015 world. I think that is why it was so late coming out (end of June instead of end of May.

He's a nice guy and seems to be listening (and willing to adjust things) to what we want.

leslie

It's all in one's point of view. Of the three possible 2017 world cruise itineraries that were presented in the survey, we said definitely to one, maybe to one, and no to one. As much as we wanted to do the world cruise in 2017, we won't be on it as the itinerary just doesn't appeal to us at all.

Well, maybe this is just a marketing plan that he is lending his name to, but you never know! He is certainly more of a "people" person than anyone at HAL other that Gerald Bernhoft (Mariner Society).

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bernhoft. (Maybe in Seattle on September 21st when the Statendam sails on her last HAL voyage?)

But, I have met and conversed with Margaret Binnendyck (forgive any errors in spelling of her name, please), who was the Mariner Society Director for a very long time. Some ideas for articles that she wished to publish in the Mariner Magazine were rejected by "upper management". Margaret was very much of a "people" person in my opinion.

Hopefully, a more progressive and open style of management will produce improvements in the product Holland America Line offers.

Will it be what I experienced on Rotterdam V in 1970, 1971, and 1996?