Technical Problems on Statendam

Steve Q

The diver went down about 3:30 PM and when I checked again about 5PM he was gone. No word so far and no news means good news.

If you'd care to share as we are on this itinerary in a few weeks, what did you end up doing in Homer?

Not the Statendam, but Norwegian Dawn is at dock in Bermuda tonight when she should be at sea. She sails to/from Boston, so weather in that area may be the issue. But, mechanical issues may also be involved. The web cam this afternoon showed a large, odd "bag" hanging over the side of the ship at the stern and a large crane was positioned nearby as well.

The point of my post: other ships have issues that result in itinerary changes. It is not just the Statendam or any other ship as well. Stuff happens!

Yes, the Dawn is delaying departure until today. It was announced to the passengers and there is a thread on the NCL board about it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243142

and yes, stuff happens.

In Kodiak today. Very chilly and drizzling. Visited the Orthodox Church which was interesting. Also, Monk's cafe is a lovely place to stop for coffee.

Yesterday, we had a beautiful day in Homer. We took the "Best of the Bay tour". It was excellent. We saw many types of birds on Gull Island along with a whale and Otters.

Leaving for Hubbard Glacier later today.

If you'd care to share as we are on this itinerary in a few weeks, what did you end up doing in Homer?

We were in Homer on the cruise just before this one. We took the HAL $15 Ho-Ho (you can buy ticket at pier). School bus takes you to 4 stops. Get off at the Pratt Museum (stop 3) to see local history and fish exhibit (well worth an hour or so) and a lovely gift ship with locally made jewelry and quilts. Stop 4 is near artisan shops. Stops 1 & 2 are shopping at small strip malls.

Are you on the AUG 10th Statendam cruise?

THX for all the info.

I get off August 10 and go back to St. Walter Parish--where I reside--in swell Roselle, IL.

Roselle is the farthest North Parish in the Diocese of Joliet. North of us, one is in the Archdiocese of Chicago.

One question I have about the Anchorage to Seward train. What time did you arrive in Seward to board the ship?

Sorry - just saw this.

We did the train from Anchorage to Seward many years ago when it was first started. We left Anchorage at 1 PM and stopped for everything. We got into Seward at 7 and lifeboat drill at that time was 7:30 -- we barely made it. And barely made dinner. We were starved when we got on the ship. They closed the dining car at 5 PM as that was when we were supposed to have gotten in Seward. Don't know if they still have a dining car anymore.

We are anchored at our last stop in Alaska and have had a nice day in Sitka. The program said chance of rain and it should have said a chance of sunshine. I had to walk on the shady side of Lincoln Avenue. Went to the drug store on Lincoln and had a chocolate soda--the old fashioned kind. They still have a soda fountain. All and all it has been a wonderful cruise even with the technical issue. Paul Pappas--the piano player--was supposed to get on in Anchorage and since there is no plane to Seward he flew to Homer and got on there. He did an outstanding job in the performance last night.

Edited by Himself

We are anchored at our last stop in Alaska and have had a nice day in Sitka. The program said chance of rain and it should have said a chance of sunshine. I had to walk on the shady side of Lincoln Avenue. Went to the drug store on Lincoln and had a chocolate soda--the old fashioned kind. They still have a soda fountain. All and all it has been a wonderful cruise even with the technical issue. Paul Pappas--the piano player--was supposed to get on in Anchorage and since there is no plane to Seward he flew to Homer and got on there. He did an outstanding job in the performance last night.

Did you tender in and not dock? We were there in June on Celebrity. I think we docked away from Sitka, but were bused to town.

Paul Pappas was the entertainer this evening---very good shows he will also be here next week for the upcoming cruise.

Thanks for that information. He's great to watch; I've enjoyed his performances several times over the years.

It's always nice when someone reporting on a cruise mentions the entertainers. It's nice to know who is still around that we can look forward to seeing.

Did you tender in and not dock? We were there in June on Celebrity. I think we docked away from Sitka, but were bused to town.

We did this itinerary in May on Statendam and we tendered in Sitka. I think that's what I've read for subsequent sailings, too.

To those of you who will be sailing on the 14 day cruise on the STATENDAM, she is in good shape and I hope each of you have a very interesting cruise. I hope you have sunny skies at each stop.

I wish I was staying on as it is a wonderful cruise.

We are in Victoria right now. There is really fast free wifi outside the cruise terminal - network called "cruise WIFI" We have had a warm sunny day here, almost too hot after cool Alaska. We have had a very smooth ride for the whole cruise. Great happy crew, good food, good entertainment. Beautiful sunset right now. Happy smiling Filipino bar guy sitting next to me talking to someone, presumably wife. Been talking at least 45 minutes.

Great cruise.

To those of you who will be sailing on the 14 day cruise on the STATENDAM, she is in good shape and I hope each of you have a very interesting cruise. I hope you have sunny skies at each stop.

I wish I was staying on as it is a wonderful cruise.

We will be sailing on her in 13 days. We are so looking forward to it.

Okie1946

We are almost to Pier 91 and sorry to see this cruise come to an end. A few minor glitches but nothing major and the itinerary was wonderful. Great crew... Ship still in fairly good shape despite her age.

Leon

We are at the SEA airport for our flight home. Cuisine, and service were fantastic on our cruise.

Only regret was that we didn't spend much time at the Hubbard Glacier.....I sent a note to Captain Smit, but he didn't get back to me.:(

Seward was spectacular....would love it if a ship would overnight there!

DH is thrilled about a possible dress code change. Majority of passengers looked like they cared about there appearance. I did see a lot of smokers.

Karen

We are at the SEA airport for our flight home. Cuisine, and service were fantastic on our cruise.

Only regret was that we didn't spend much time at the Hubbard Glacier.....I sent a note to Captain Smit, but he didn't get back to me.:(

Seward was spectacular....would love it if a ship would overnight there!

DH is thrilled about a possible dress code change. Majority of passengers looked like they cared about there appearance. I did see a lot of smokers.

Karen

Don't feel bad about that Captain not getting back to you.

I like Seward, too, although it doesn't seem to be on many's favorites list!

Edited by SilvertoGold