Resident Rate on Invoice - Should I be concerned

This morning, I saw a resident rate for my Nov 1 cruise (Liberty of the Seas). I selected Virginia (where I live) from the state list. I called C&A and had the cruise adjusted to the new rate. The person on the phone also confirmed she selected Virginia. She said that I would need to show a valid Virginia ID upon check in - I know from past experience they say that but usually don't check.

When I looked at my invoice later it says "Res Dis Midwest". Well I know Virginia is not in the Midwest (It is Mid-Atlantic). I called back later tonight and was assured that the rate was valid for Virginia even though it says Mid West.

I am worried that I can not produce a Mid-West drivers license when we check in. Is RCCL that geographically challenged?

RCI has major technical problems. You'll be fine...no worries!

I have had the compare the address and I personally would not take any chance that I would owe more money when I get to the cruise.

You could call back again. Personally I would feel better if I said what it should. Take no chance would be me!

I would email them the question and tell them to email you back. That way you have it in writing.

Good advice. This is what I would do - it would give me peace of mind about it.

As I remember the history at one time there were a number of TA that would advertise cheap pricing and sometimes these TA would purchase tickets for you at rates you didn't qualify for like resident rates because RCI didn't seem to care or check. At some point RCI did start caring and put their foot down on this practice. RCI either threatened or started charging people the price of the cruise for the day they checked in and that seemed to put an end to this practice.

I would insist RCI issue an invoice with the correct information on it.

Shak

If you want the peace of mind, and don't want to call Royal Caribbean back about it, find a friend who is a travel agent and have him/her look it up on the travel agent website. It lists ALL of the states that are eligible for a residency discount on your sailing.

:)

I would just go with it and not give it a second's thought. :D:):D

Ditto.

My last cruise on Freedom was for a friend's wedding, and I was originally going to room with the groom's brother (also my friend) b/c the cruise was so expensive and the solo rate was outrageous. My roommate lives in Georgia, and we got the resident rate on the room.

As time went by, the rates fell to the point that we decided to go ahead and get single rooms. When the travel agent put me in my own room, it got processed as "Resident Rate -- Georgia" even though my address on every invoice clearly stated that I live in Michigan.

Nobody batted an eye.

I wouldn't worry about it. You told RCI where you live (your address is correct on your invoice) and they processed you under a particular resident rate. Whether you actually qualify for that rate is immaterial at this point... the check-in staff isn't going to know or care what rate you purchased.

Just go and enjoy your cruise.

This morning, I saw a resident rate for my Nov 1 cruise (Liberty of the Seas). I selected Virginia (where I live) from the state list. I called C&A and had the cruise adjusted to the new rate. The person on the phone also confirmed she selected Virginia. She said that I would need to show a valid Virginia ID upon check in - I know from past experience they say that but usually don't check.

When I looked at my invoice later it says "Res Dis Midwest". Well I know Virginia is not in the Midwest (It is Mid-Atlantic). I called back later tonight and was assured that the rate was valid for Virginia even though it says Mid West.

I am worried that I can not produce a Mid-West drivers license when we check in. Is RCCL that geographically challenged?

Found the same resident rate called and had it adjusted but was never told anything about providing proof of residence. We are in Ohio and the new invoice also states Midwest res discount

I received a state residency rate for an Oct. 15 cruise. On my confirmation page it clearly states I may be required to prove residency at check in or be required to pay full price. Otherwise I could be denied boarding.

The notice is directly below where cruise cost and any balance due are shown.

Make your own decision but I would get written confirmation from RCCL before arriving at check in.

If you want the peace of mind, and don't want to call Royal Caribbean back about it, find a friend who is a travel agent and have him/her look it up on the travel agent website. It lists ALL of the states that are eligible for a residency discount on your sailing.

:)

Hope its a "friend" TA - really crappy to ask them to help you when you didn't book with them

How do you find out if your sailing has the state residency discount?

We are sailing in December

The only way I know is to do two mock bookings, with and without your state selected.

It sounds like a shorthand code for the discount, rather than a detailed geographic statement. I'd guess many of the qualifying states are Midwest (plus a few, like yours, that are not), so they used "Midwest" as a shorthand designation for that group of states.

Anyway, the website indicated that you qualify. C&A found that you qualify. The call center confirmed. Be glad your state qualifies for a discount and have a great cruise.