The Mediterranean in October

Mummble

Hi all!

I have done a lot of looking and am stressing over what kind of shoes to bring to the Mediterranean in October. Boots? Sandals? Flats? Wedges? I need help! I have only ever cruised to the Caribbean and Hawaii - this is new territory for me. I am starting in Barcelona and heading to Rome, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Ephesus, Athens and Malta. Please share any advice you have!

Oh, and do I need a different shoe wardrobe for the ship? I am used to sandals and flip flops on the ship, but I think that has more to do with my previous destinations than the ship?

I love shoes (and clothes) and will probably bring way more than enough of both, but I'd like to invest in a really quality pair of shoes/boots/whatevers for walking intensive tours in Rome, Pompeii and Athens.

Thanks!

Off the ship wear comfortable shoes.

Some will say on this and other boards that you must dress in fashion and how the Europeans dress etc. Don't listed to it. My wife and I have sailed the Mediterranean often and have been there the last two years and have also sailed it in September and October. And in some of the ports you mentioned such as Rome and Naples in particular you may have some rain. Temperature will vary. Warmer in Greece and cooler in Italy.

We primarily wear athletic shoes or walking shoes. You will likely do a lot of walking and if you are touring you might be walking over some uneven walkways so the shoes should give you full support and be comfortable. Don't worry about fashion.

As to clothes, off the ship they should be comfortable. Bring a jacket, for some of the ports where it might be cool in the morning. Just be able to layer clothing. Some places will be warm so light clothing is good too. In some ports we just wear blue jeans and in other ports shorts and in other ports light pants or my wife light capris. In Rome if you go inside Churches you will want to wear something that covers shoulders and no shorts.

On the ship, people will be a bit more dressy than they are on a Caribbean or Hawii cruise. Some of this varies based on Cruise Line too.

My wife and I like to be dressy on the ship and never worry about what others wear.

Have a great time.

The Mediterranean is fabulous and you have picked a great time to go in my opinion. Many go in the summer months when it is very hot and humid and lots of tourists in port.

Keith

Rome has cobblestones in many places (the Forum has huge uneven stones) and Pompeii has uneven rocks and pavers. Wear shoes that will work on those.

Was visiting DD in Rome for two weeks and brought a pair of Clarks with a slight heel. No problem wearing them at the newer parts of the city. Wore them once in Rome into Trastevere, twisted my ankle several times. The rest of the trip I wore my Ecco walking shoes.

Edited by SadieN

In terms of what to recommend for you, I can only suggest what has worked for me on numerous trips/cruises to the Med at that time of year.

I would not recommend sandals for extensive walking unless they are the really rugged sort. As already mentioned, the cobblestones in some of the old city centers are tough on your feet, so best to avoid heels and sandals to avoid spraining an ankle or stubbing a toe.

I never have liked boots, but if they are comfortable and work for you, no reason not to consider them.

In general, since most Med cruises involve extensive walking, I'd say make sure you have at least TWO pairs of good, supportive, comfortable shoes (in case something happens to one, also good to alternate pairs). Be sure they are well broken in and comfortable for LONG periods of walking and standing -- in other words, don't buy a new pair and wear them for a couple of hours inside the house, then assume they are okay. You really need to road test them!

In general, since most Med cruises involve extensive walking, I'd say make sure you have at least TWO pairs of good, supportive, comfortable shoes (in case something happens to one, also good to alternate pairs). Be sure they are well broken in and comfortable for LONG periods of walking and standing -- in other words, don't buy a new pair and wear them for a couple of hours inside the house, then assume they are okay. You really need to road test them!

I completely agree with this advice! And I (somewhat) disagree with Keith's earlier post - here on the Fashion board, we can be practical AND chic, you know ;) Personally, I do have rugged and comfortable walking sandals, and I would find boots too warm to wear at temps > 40 (F), so that would make my decision for me - one pair walking sandals, one pair walking shoes (then probably my privo mary jane for on the boat or days when I'm not walking 5 miles - though I can easily do a couple miles in them)

Check your weather forecast for the ports the week before you leave - check ALL of them so you'll know the weather patterns and any differences. Pack for the "general" temps and make sure you have layering pieces to go cooler or warmer if necessary (eg one light dress, one light sweater or jacket & pair of pants). Have fun!!!

I've taken my "engineer" boots both times I've gone to Italy lately. They are Steve Madden and the boot actually folds up pretty easily so they don't take up any more room than another pair of shoes. They have a very solid, sturdy sole, so they are good for me on the cobbles. Now, I've been there in late April/early May, and I was fine with them and my jeans or my little travel dress. I'm not a wedge/heel person anyway but I can't imagine suffering for fashion in them on those streets. Barcelona, maybe. But no where else. Save the flip flops, wedges and heels for the ship ;)

Off the ship wear comfortable shoes.

Some will say on this and other boards that you must dress in fashion and how the Europeans dress etc. Don't listed to it. My wife and I have sailed the Mediterranean often and have been there the last two years and have also sailed it in September and October. And in some of the ports you mentioned such as Rome and Naples in particular you may have some rain. Temperature will vary. Warmer in Greece and cooler in Italy.

We primarily wear athletic shoes or walking shoes. You will likely do a lot of walking and if you are touring you might be walking over some uneven walkways so the shoes should give you full support and be comfortable. Don't worry about fashion.

As to clothes, off the ship they should be comfortable. Bring a jacket, for some of the ports where it might be cool in the morning. Just be able to layer clothing. Some places will be warm so light clothing is good too. In some ports we just wear blue jeans and in other ports shorts and in other ports light pants or my wife light capris. In Rome if you go inside Churches you will want to wear something that covers shoulders and no shorts.

On the ship, people will be a bit more dressy than they are on a Caribbean or Hawii cruise. Some of this varies based on Cruise Line too.

My wife and I like to be dressy on the ship and never worry about what others wear.

Have a great time.

The Mediterranean is fabulous and you have picked a great time to go in my opinion. Many go in the summer months when it is very hot and humid and lots of tourists in port.

Keith

Keith is right on the nose! Great advice.

I'll just add that when the DH and I did our October Mediterranean cruise he and I wore comfortable boots in port and sometimes Sketchers walking shoes. They can be very fashionable but they must be comfortable most of all. On the ship he wore athletic shoes during the day and dress shoes in the evenings. I wore cute flats or my Sketchers during the day and kitten heels or dressy low-heeled sandals in the evenings. I'm kind of a shoe freak...so I like a small variety of shoes/boots. LOL!

I remember wearing jeans and khakis with long-sleeved tees during the day and always had a lightweight jacket with me. I also wore a lot of scarves instead of jewelry. Scarves are big in the Mediterranean. For churches, I wore black slacks and a black, tunic-length, wrap cotton sweater. Again, I changed it up with scarves. The DH wore nice slacks and a long-sleeved shirt with a merino wool v-neck sweater that he threw over his shoulders in case he needed it.

I also always take a pair of flipflops that I use in the shower/bathroom and in the spa (when I use it), and by the pool.

Here's wishing you an awesome trip!:D

Edited by mousey

Thanks for advice everyone! I have revised my plan to invest in at least two really comfy walkable shoes. I guess I'll sacrifice and get that extra pair of shoes! :D It sounds like it may or may not be too warm for boots. Here in Colorado, boots are totally reasonable by October, but it may be too warm still in the Mediterranean. Maybe ankle boots, since they are more transitional? Any thoughts on these?

http://www.zappos.com/naturalizer-jarrett-classic-navy-suede-brown-leather

http://www.zappos.com/naturalizer-cycle-black-leather

Hi all!

I have done a lot of looking and am stressing over what kind of shoes to bring to the Mediterranean in October. Boots? Sandals? Flats? Wedges? I need help! I have only ever cruised to the Caribbean and Hawaii - this is new territory for me. I am starting in Barcelona and heading to Rome, Naples, Santorini, Mykonos, Ephesus, Athens and Malta. Please share any advice you have!

Oh, and do I need a different shoe wardrobe for the ship? I am used to sandals and flip flops on the ship, but I think that has more to do with my previous destinations than the ship?

I love shoes (and clothes) and will probably bring way more than enough of both, but I'd like to invest in a really quality pair of shoes/boots/whatevers for walking intensive tours in Rome, Pompeii and Athens.

Thanks!

Hi, I did a similar itinerary in late October a few years back, the weather was warm, but very windy, especially in Greece, crazy windy, similar to our Santa Ana winds where I come from. :) When we go in Nov/Dec I wear boots, but for that time of year I have a pair of Ecco Yarrah shoes that are great for walking, & have a grippy, thin, flexible sole. Ephesus, Pompeii & the Acropolis have rough, rocky paths to follow, & I would not wear a sandal or open toe shoe there. If you already have a good broken in walking type shoe, that's what I'd bring for those port days. Otherwise, get a good pair & break them in ahead of time.. & pack some blister strips for just in case. :)

Enjoy!

PS: just saw the boots you posted, & while they are cute, they would not really work in many of the ports you listed, you'll be walking on loose rocky soil in many places, & cobblestones in others ( my DH calls them "hobblestones" if you have any rain, super, super slippery.

This is what I wear :

http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Large/8/_5659888.jpg

Edited by cruise kitty

Ephesus, Pompeii & the Acropolis have rough, rocky paths to follow, & I would not wear a sandal or open toe shoe there.

It really depends on your preference - I've done Turkey & Greece (including Ephesus and the Acropolis - walking up the "wrong" way -around the side) in walking sandals with open toes. My feet get dirty, yes, but I haven't had any other problems. I like the openness:D (my favorite walking sandal is a Dansko Elena - I wore that with a t-shirt dress the days we did Athens before a Black Sea cruise)

It really depends on your preference - I've done Turkey & Greece (including Ephesus and the Acropolis - walking up the "wrong" way -around the side) in walking sandals with open toes. My feet get dirty, yes, but I haven't had any other problems. I like the openness:D (my favorite walking sandal is a Dansko Elena - I wore that with a t-shirt dress the days we did Athens before a Black Sea cruise)

For me, I'd worry about getting a rock or pebble in the sole of the sandal, or stubbing a toe :eek:

But I know, what's comfortable for walking is so subjective, I wore my rainbow sandals for an entire day of walking in London one time. :eek: I'd been walking a good 14 hours a day for a good 10 days, & my feet had just had it with being in shoes... I probably looked ridiculous, but I had a big day planned, & for me, those worked on that day.

BTW, I googled the Danskos, really cute, sturdy looking sandals!

I'm going on a warm weather Med cruise next May, planning on wearing my Birkenstocks most days. :)

I may be abnormally clumsy, but twice on cruises I have stubbed my toe so hard that I lost a nail -- once onboard ship and once ashore. :eek: It wasn't pretty. In fact, it was really painful. However, I know there are a group of people for whom sandals are a mainstay ....and if they work for you, you're one of the lucky ones.

With that itinerary, I cannot put in big enough capital letters DUST! Plus cobblestones or ancient roman paving stones, way worse. So whatever you bring needs to be easily cleanable, as well as supportive and comfy. I would definitely avoid suede.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the tips - especially about the dust! I am not known for being especially graceful, :o so will take great care in making sure that whatever footwear I end up with have great traction. I've ordered 6 different pairs of shoes to try and I have 59 days until we leave. Surely (hopefully!) at least a couple of these will work and I'll have them well broken in before my flight takes off!

I really appreciate the advice from those of you that know the ports I'm heading to!

I was 20 the first time I climbed the Acropolis, and I did it in open birkenstocks then. The next time, 20 years later, I did need sturdier shoes with ankle support:p

The dust never bothers me because I have worn sandals for so long, and while yes, I've had pebbles or gentle stubs (never lost a toe nail though I've lost a couple fingernails over the years) I've done all that and more in closed toe shoes as well, so I figure as long as I'm comfortable and moderately careful.....(it's worse when the pebble slips down your sock and you have to unlace & remove, vs in a sandal you can often get the offending rock out with just a quick flick of a finger)

I think the thing we're all agreeing on is that in Europe, esp the Med, the terrain can be very uneven (& dirty/dusty), so make sure whatever you opt for is able to handle those conditions. Save the super cute but impractical shoes for on board;)

Keith is right on the nose! Great advice.

I'll just add that when the DH and I did our October Mediterranean cruise he and I wore comfortable boots in port and sometimes Sketchers walking shoes. They can be very fashionable but they must be comfortable most of all. On the ship he wore athletic shoes during the day and dress shoes in the evenings. I wore cute flats or my Sketchers during the day and kitten heels or dressy low-heeled sandals in the evenings. I'm kind of a shoe freak...so I like a small variety of shoes/boots. LOL!

I remember wearing jeans and khakis with long-sleeved tees during the day and always had a lightweight jacket with me. I also wore a lot of scarves instead of jewelry. Scarves are big in the Mediterranean. For churches, I wore black slacks and a black, tunic-length, wrap cotton sweater. Again, I changed it up with scarves. The DH wore nice slacks and a long-sleeved shirt with a merino wool v-neck sweater that he threw over his shoulders in case he needed it.

I also always take a pair of flipflops that I use in the shower/bathroom and in the spa (when I use it), and by the pool.

Here's wishing you an awesome trip!:D

I find this information very helpful--thanks!