What perks have disappeared?

shredie

Did you ever consider it may be their kids or relatives clothes they are including? Not saying it is right but I could see where they might include kids close if they are not elite.

Including their immediate relatives' clothes I would almost consider to be expected.

There is no way for Princess to separate them or police this.

Its the honor system.

Either the perk is there or its not. :cool:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have no problem with laundry limits...especially when those limits are high and fall in the realm of abuse.

It's also possible, though, that there are times it's really quiet, and others when peak demand is just crazy. And delays might be more a function of the crew than they are of demand. I just don't know. At times, Princess may just not mind the abuse. Please tip well, though.

Don't mean to question your sound wisdom on Princess matters, but I have read many posts where there are voyages with huge numbers of Elites. And probably a large number get enough dirty clothes about the same time. Wouldn't that overload the laundry service?
When passengers are sending 5-7 bags A DAY, every day, on an 18-day cruise with a variety of clothing sizes, THAT is what's overloading the laundry. Not just one cabin, but many cabins have done this.

I was on the Star three years ago with over 1,200 Elite and there was no laundry problem or delay. I've taken two trans-Atlantic cruises on the Royal and while there were a lot of Elites, not as many as on the Star. Both times, laundry return was delayed by 3-8 days.

The coffee card is a good example. It's a perk that went away because of abuse. Thanks.
Yes, it went away because of abuse but it really went away because it was never intended to be "unlimited free coffee until you die and your relatives inherit the coffee card." Nothing unlimited is meant to be used forever. Not the coffee card, soda package, AIBP, etc.

I'm with Doug. I think one bag per cabin/day is very reasonable. Princess could have controlled the abuse and chose not to while all of the Elites onboard were severely affected as a result. It's not right to send anyone else's laundry out who is not booked in the cabin whether they are kids or relatives. If you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, do you pay once and then bring a dozen kids in to eat on your one payment? It's abuse, fraud and affects everyone.

Edited by Pam in CA

If I was the Hotel Manager I would have had a private talk with whoever was in that cabin. That is a very serious abuse of the system and should not be allowed to be repeated. One bag per person per cabin per day should be the limit.

How about one laundry bag PER CABIN per day!

Yes, it went away because of abuse but it really went away because it was never intended to be "unlimited free coffee until you die and your relatives inherit the coffee card."

LOL! :) It could be the plot of some TV detective show: who killed the cousin who was in line to inherit Aunt Harriet's one-punch-left laminated Princess coffee card? :D

So, thinking about this, what if all those 'cheaters' adding their laundry in with the Elite members stuff send theirs 'correctly' in their own laundry bags (and yes, pay for it). It's still the same load on the ship's laundry, no? Or is the thought they would not send it for crew to clean and do it themselves?

Including non-elite laundry is sheer abuse of a privilege all Elite have paid for. I would be :mad: if this caused any changes.

That said, it is difficult to police this practice and puts a greater workload on the steward and laundry staff. Not sure if there is a solution. Perhaps if we could be given a set quantity of fabric numbered tags (stating cabin #) to attach to clothes we want laundered during the cruise?? These could be given to all Elite passengers at boarding time.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

So, thinking about this, what if all those 'cheaters' adding their laundry in with the Elite members stuff send theirs 'correctly' in their own laundry bags (and yes, pay for it). It's still the same load on the ship's laundry, no? Or is the thought they would not send it for crew to clean and do it themselves?

Do you really think all would send it if it wasn't free? I never sent in any Laundry before I was Elite, and even now have never sent in more than one bag per cruise. Only one time did I do my own laundry, that was after a very muddy 4X4 trip on Bora Bora and didn't want to leave the clothes dirty for another 10 day until I got home. Pre Elite it just meant packing a couple more socks/underwear and wearing each shirt maybe one more time.

Personally I have never bought any internet minutes either, I get nothing that is so important it can't wait until I get home in a week. I can live without saying hello to everyone I know for a few days. Its nice to have it free but I treat it like what it is, a nice extra perk.

How about one laundry bag PER CABIN per day!

I often wonder why passengers like to think up new rules to the detriment of those who love to cruise. Don't you think that some passengers might board the ship after a few days in a foreign port and have a lot of laundry at that time? So now they should send it out over a three day period in the tiny laundry bags that are provided to conform with your new rule.

You can not "sell" tender tickets because Elite passengers do not require a tender ticket. We just go to the tender pontoon, show our cruise card and get on the end of the line. We have never had an issue.

But at one time they actually gave out tickets, and yes people sold them, that one was easy to fix without abolishing the perk, but is an example of abuse of the privilege.

Do you really think all would send it if it wasn't free? I never sent in any Laundry before I was Elite, and even now have never sent in more than one bag per cruise. Only one time did I do my own laundry, that was after a very muddy 4X4 trip on Bora Bora and didn't want to leave the clothes dirty for another 10 day until I got home. Pre Elite it just meant packing a couple more socks/underwear and wearing each shirt maybe one more time.

I can't speak for others but yes, I have sent laundry out when I've had to pay for it. I get it done when something is dirty, not just because it's free. But I concede that people may take advantage if it's free.

I am sure many on long cruises can't pack enough to avoid laundry and it's not fair to assume that everyone taking long cruises are Elite.

I can't speak for others but yes, I have sent laundry out when I've had to pay for it. I get it done when something is dirty, not just because it's free. But I concede that people may take advantage if it's free.

I am sure many on long cruises can't pack enough to avoid laundry and it's not fair to assume that everyone taking long cruises are Elite.

Anyone that wants to pay can send in as many bags as they want. I just think there needs to be some sort of reasonable limit for Elites. My one bag per cruise day could be sent in over 7 days or all 7 at once. It would be easy for your cabin steward to keep track of how many you have sent in.

Re perk changes... sure some have been eliminated but some have been added since we started cruising too.

Some we love and use and some we don't ever use.

- elite line at Purser's desk

- laundry - no changes to it other than now it is not next day service, and use to include dry cleaning. But they stopped dry cleaning services entirely so that is why that is gone. Now laundry is not next day. On longer cruises with many elites laundry has taken a few days. On our last cruise there were only 49 elites so we got our laundry the next day! Nice treat but not expected.

- no more chocolate covered strawberries (at least not on my last five sailings)

- use to hand out hot hors d'oeuvres at Captain Circle Party, no longer do that or at least they haven't on the past few sailings I have been on.

- They have a loyalty credit now that kicks in after you have sailed 20 times and goes up every ten sailings

- Most Travelled Party for top 40

- Toiletries use to be just placed in bathroom and seemed to be different each sailing. Now you get a small pouch with the same items each time.

- Platinum Elite Lounge use to be $2.99 a drink and has continued to go up and is now $5 a drink. This is a few years now that they have been doing this and the finger foods are a nice addition.

- Priority boarding... well I don't see this as a real perk on most sailings now a days.

- Priority Disembarkation - again I don't think we get anything special

- Internet use to be unlimited but now it is an internet package. Sure unlimited would be good but we manage fine with the package and I blog live too and manage to use what is allotted.

- Priority Tendering ashore - this can be helpful when there are not a ton of elites

Re the abuse of laundry or other things. Like many things on Princess (and in life in general) people abuse the rules. Sure some people may get their friends items washed, but I think it is a very small majority. We certainly have never done this. But people on board abuse the All Inclusive Drink Package (one buys but gets drinks for friends). Same with Soda Cards. Smuggle liqour, wine on board. Get friends to buy duty free liqour on last day of sailing cause they are going to stay on for another leg, but friends aren't. Traditional Diners dining in Anytime Dining venue. Not following dress code. Chair Hogs, and the list can go on.

There will always be abusers, but if no one from Princess Calls them on it to enforce the rules we really shouldn't be worried about it. There is always someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them.

I would like to see some things added or changed up. Would love to see another loyalty level created. I can dream can't I.

What would be good for us, and what we would like to see could be: slippers, maybe discounted drink package, flowers in the cabin, priority dinner reservations in dining room or specialty restaurant.... hmmm what else, I am sure I will think of others.

But in the end I believe Princess has the best loyalty program at sea and it certainly is one reason we keep going back. But of course we love the itineraries and the crew too.

I too hear about perks disappearing on Princess but really cant say that I have noticed. A Balcony cabin is as deluxe as we have ever gone so suite perks are neither hear nor there to me.

They eliminated the souvenir glass at the wine tastings which was the same one that was yours to keep if you bought a Lemon-cello or Brogans after dinner. I was talking about this with my wife as we headed into a wine tasting event and another lady who also knew that the souvenir glass was gone overheard me and fairly loudly announced "just another example of Princess cutbacks". To me it is for the best anyway, I don't want to have to find room in my suitcase for a bunch of dust collector items like that. A good place for Princess to cut back a little.

When I think of cruise line cutbacks I think of Royal Caribbean / Celebrity where they wont let you combine your OBC perks like Princess does. They have been doing a good job of cutting expenses and possibly increasing passengers with the 123Go type drink packages cause it seems to be showing up in the bottom line and their share price. Whats good for the share holder is rarely going to be good for the passenger. Last year they even chopped out the chocolate on your pillow at turndown which appeared to incense some passengers and they did a 180 and brought them back again.

As for the Princess laundry perk it just seems so obvious to give a laundry dollar value credit based on the number of days that you are on the cruise. The price list already exists.

Celebrity gives one free bag of laundry to Elite's if the cruise is 12 days or longer. Not certain if that is per person if both are Elite...probably. One bag per cabin per day is crazy generous in my opinion. On our recent 49 day cruise we did a bag every 4 or 5 days. We don't have the need to send everything to laundry after wearing it for just a few hours. We dint do that at home so shouldn't expect that on Princess.

Shareholder and FCC credits could all be based on number of days rather than being in "tiers" as they now are. We are doing two back to back 10 day cruises in Oceanview cabin which is about the worst scenario for FCC's. $25 credit each per cruise. Before they made some changes to the FCC's in 2012 this same scenario was worth $100 OBC each. Making all of these type of credits a dollar value per day would go a long way to balance some of the inequities out.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I am not elite and probably never will be. I loved it on our TA this year that because there were so many passengers getting free laundry I rarely had to wait for a washer or dryer!!

LOL! That's a perk for all the non-Elites! Every cloud has a silver lining. :)