Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

A Birthday weekend next weekend for wifey and me ...... one of those significant ones, one prefers to forget. :( Still. The alternatives are much worst. :) Daughters birthday 16th, mine 17th and wifey's 19th!

So I have ordered some stuff to make her favourite meals over that weekend. I'm having some fresh Dover Sole delivered overnight next Friday from Cornwall and some fresh mussels for some marriniere. Some fesh oysters and crevettes and shrimp and a crab for a fruits de mer platter. I'm going to meuniere the sole just as she likes it and I have some Veurve ordered.

She is very lovely and I am going to make her very happy and very full and contented or die in the attempt.

Jeff

What a beautiful birthday that will be for all of you! I hope you all have a spectacular weekend! It will be a yummy one at the very least! :) Off to deal with my dreaded locks! Not to be confused with dreadlocks! :) Have a great day fellow coolers!

G'day coolers,

Some piccies from around the village today, including one of zooms for spins with full wide and full zoom and a picture of the village donkeys being fed.

And an interesting article from Melanie Philips in today's Times I'd like to share with coolers about the effects of "virtue signalling" and how that significantly devalues genuine good moral ground - and how this is going to increase the terrible spectre of extreme right - viz a vis about the crisis engulfing Europe currently.

Melanie has the ability of provoking considerable thought in those capable of a decent level of open-minded thought about complex issues, but to others of course, like many people that provoke thoughts that people do not wish to confront as many close-minded people do - she will merely irritate.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4552486.ece?shareToken=d5c80e70c539b7c631d09ea4f6544542

Jeff

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02948.jpg

DSC02934_1.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Great minds Jeff - I read the article in bed this morning with my morning tea, brought by dear spouse, and thought 'this is exactly what I have been saying to him for several days - only better expressed of course'.

:)

The topic we must not discuss. :(

Sadly, these days what inevitably happens everywhere is when the great intelectually challenged are confronted with excruiatingly cogent arguments that they are intellectually disabled to debate is that they resort instead to attacking the messenger and not the message. It is a a good sign for the argument when people personalise attacks on others. It means that they are incapable of doing anything useful but feel they have to do something else instead. ;)

Melanie is from the normal Eastern European Jewish traditional immigrant stock and is particularly well disposed naturally towards inclusion for that reason. She is however totally led by reasoning and is prepared to sacrifice emotion even though concedes that emotional response is understandable in it's colouration of rational decision making. Her arguments are often terribly cutting but she is someone you should always listen to.

Germany is getting very grumpy with Frau Merkel and it seems to me that the best intentions often sadly leads to worst consequences.

Today's very simple light lunch in La Cucina. It wasn't from Room Service Menu or a Special Request. :eek:

Jeff

FE509FC5-FCA7-4001-B514-EA87C53BDD65.jpg

Home from the Parlour. Will have to catch up on the Professor's suggested reading next. Right now, want to say you live in a beautiful spot Jeff! I can hear the birds! The pics are great! And the meal looks amazing!

We had a gorgeous sunset last night. Here is a shot with the new camera.

DSC00014_zpsnuq2wq8k.jpg

thanks for the photos! enjoy the birthday celebrations!

mysty: Beautiful Sunset Last Night. We had a gorgeous sunset last night. Here is a shot with the new camera.

UKCruiseJeff: Germany is getting very grumpy with Frau Merkel and it seems to me that the best intentions often sadly leads to worst consequences.

Great to see so many nice postings and discussions on photography' date=' the options, needs, potentials, etc. Plus, other important issues/questions, including sadly about those escaping the crazy, killing messes in Syria, etc.!!

Glad that the camera arrive for our Canada friend and that she is working hard to learn and test its great potentials, etc. [b']Wonderful sunset pix!![/b]

Happy birthdays to Jeff and family, etc.

Been busy the past few days traveling, being down in Virginia, with grandsons, having fun cheering Monday night with the number-one-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes beating Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, etc., on national TV.

Below and in the next posting are some more details/examples, plus visuals as "evidence/proof".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,003 views for this posting.

On the way from Charlottesville to Roanoke, Virginia, we traveled along a scenic stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Below are just three of my photo samples. As usually in such scenic locations, the photos do not do full "justice" to the beauty and drama that are in in such wonderful places.:

Sept2015PixsA3_zpsbkwxcbph.jpg

Sept2015PixsA1_zpspd0gitnf.jpg

Sept2015PixsA2_zpszjqhifei.jpg

When arriving at the 66,000-seat stadium for the Ohio State-Virginia Tech game, we ran into these fans for our team testing out the local food there. VT is known as the "Hokies". Going back to back to 1896, Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College changed its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Their team cheer is based on a "Hokie" yell. That is connected to a "HokieBird" or a turkey. Virginia Tech teams were once called the "gobblers". These OSU fans was enjoying these large turkey drumsticks before the game. Did Ohio State gobble up Virginia Tech? See next post!:

Sept2015PixsA4_zpsvk80a9qz.jpg

The Labor Day kick off to Ohio State's national championship title defense worked well. Visiting their stadium in scenic Virginia, the Buckeyes started fast with a quick 14-0 lead. BUT, the Hokies came back to go ahead 17-14 at halftime. In the second half, Ohio State rolled up its strong offense to finish with a 42-24 win.

As the photos show below, there was lots of "color" at the game, including bands, active fans, fireworks, etc. Plus, fun, exciting football action.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,940 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Before the game, Virginia Tech had 1000 of their sharply-dressed military cadets on the field, plus a band called the "Highty-Tighties". Very impressive and moving opening ceremonies. During this time, they did a salute to the two Roanoke news staffed killed the week before.:

Sept2015PixsA5_zpshckgfgrw.jpg

This stadium was packed with Virginia Tech fans wearing their signature orange color. This visual gives a little sample for part of the stadium as their team was preparing to come on the field. Then, there were fireworks going off as the sun was setting! Very exciting and dramatic opening right before the start of this game on ESPN.:

Sept2015PixsA6_zpsxokla4du.jpg

Sept2015PixsA7_zpszz14roiq.jpg

Ohio State had its marching band in Virginia. At half-time, they did their signature highlight of a "Script Ohio" formation as the state's name is being spelled out. This famous tradition is done while they are playing Robert Planquette's Le Régiment de Sambre et Meuse. First is a wider view as this movement is completed in the stadium. And, second, there is a tighter shot as a senior Sousaphone player dots the "i" of Ohio.:

Sept2015PixsA8_zpspidgd27i.jpg

Sept2015PixsA9_zps83exbzta.jpg

Here was one of the key touchdowns. Early in the fourth quarter, QB Cardale Jones is crossing the goal line as he had a 10-yard run to a cap a 75-yard drive to go ahead 35-17 against Virginia Tech. The hands shown are fans in the stands cheering this touchdown!:

Sept2015PixsA10_zps9sxviwjq.jpg

Script Ohio has come along way since the Michigan Marching Band invented it in 1932.

spinnaker2: Go blue

Yes' date=' [b']great and correct response from Michigan's Mark[/b], plus a proud, cheering comment from Candy. In this part of our country, the long-standing sports battles between Ohio and Michigan have been huge. Very intense!! Lately, Michigan has struggled with OSU regularly beating UM. Since 2001, Ohio State has won twelve of the last fourteen games. BUT, Michigan has hired highly-regarded coach and former UM player Jim Harbaugh to coach and re-build the team after recent mis-fires from poor coaching hires.

On November 18, 2006, was one of the greatest ever Ohio State-Michigan showdowns. Each team came into this final game with perfect 11–0 records. OSU was rank #1 in the country and UM was ranked #2. Ohio State won the game 42–39 for the Big Ten championship and the right to play for a national championship game. This battle was viewed by the largest television audience for a regular-season college football game since 1993, averaging 21.8 million viewers. The game gained even more "drama" as on the day before the game, former Michigan head coach (and former OSU assistant coach) Bo Schembechler died. I was at this game and can share later much more about famed Ohio State coach Woody Hayes battling Bo, etc.

On Script Ohio, it was first performed on October 24, 1936, at the Ohio State-Indiana game. BUT, according to The Ohio State University Library, a similar floating formation was first performed during the 1932 season by the University of Michigan Marching band. Credit to UM!! Clearly, however, it is easier to do that unique formation when your state's name is only four letters versus Michigan's eight letter. Unlike a follow-the-leader drill, the Script Ohio is a very specifically measured and charted maneuver. Each band member is required to memorize the counts for each portion of the formation. Among those given the honorary opportunity to dot the "i" on the field in front of 100,000+ fans, have been former coach Woody Hayes, entertainer Bob Hope (who grew up in Cleveland), local golfer Jack Nicklaus and former astronaut-Senator John Glenn.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,394 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good Morning all .....

Great sunset piccy M .... looking forward to seeing more!

T, your passion for football and blurred wristwatches shows through ....:)

TGH, thanks ... your link was broken when I tried it so I'm afraid I didn't understand! :)

Spins, it was a salmon quiche, a smoked chicken salad, some herrings, some roast veggy couscous, slaw etc ... Very Summery! Picpoul de Pinet is the current house white.

We have been watching some very famous Americans on our Big Brother Celebrity House here and it has been enthralling. No one should ever feel that script writers are essential for "interesting" viewing!

http://bigbrother.channel5.com/housemates

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

TGH, thanks ... your link was broken when I tried it so I'm afraid I didn't understand!

uh…... It was a copy of the link that you originally posted in message #457 and I posted it into my message so you would (hopefully) know what I was thanking you for…….….carry on…..

TGH, thanks ... your link was broken when I tried it so I'm afraid I didn't understand!

uh…... It was a copy of the link that you originally posted in message #457 and I posted it into my message so you would (hopefully) know what I was thanking you for…….….carry on…..

Thanks ... for the thanks .... all is clear!

I bet it is sunny in Brisbane today!

I am planning a couple of koftas for wifey in Nico's Taverna today. Some bought in spicey beef and some herby lamb with pitta, rice and salad and a New Box. :)

I am carrying out some scientific research on red wine boxes today to establish whether we can find one that is "good enough" and this morning's explorations have taken me to a decent box from South-Eastern Ozland - Banrock! It is a Shiraz Cabernet. Normally I have a disagreement with shiraz which to me always seems a bit dicey almost as soon as it is opened. But it has softened the cabernet and as it is boxed .... it seems to work fine.

And they have made the box a bit more elegant than the image below .... so it fits nicely with the upmarket ambience of Nico's! ;)

Jeff

217672011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=d9da51405bfb80b7afe71bd9686f8cdf