Allure Deck/Stateroom Advice - Novice Crusier

I have been upgraded to a Superior Ocean View room with Balcony which I' m very happy about.

We have been given D4-6312 on Deck 6. Also available is 6314 on the same Deck, and on Deck 8 - 8662. They are all the same category.

Has anyone got any knowledge as to which room would be best. I read somewhere today about where the bed was and that if it was too near the closet it isn't as good as the ones with beds near the Balcony!

I have been upgraded to a Superior Ocean View room with Balcony which I' m very happy about.

We have been given D4-6312 on Deck 6. Also available is 6314 on the same Deck, and on Deck 8 - 8662. They are all the same category.

Has anyone got any knowledge as to which room would be best. I read somewhere today about where the bed was and that if it was too near the closet it isn't as good as the ones with beds near the Balcony!

6312 and 8662 have the beds near the closet, plus 8662 is a connecting stateroom. Even though I like deck 8, I'd rather have 6314 as I don't want a connecting room, and I'd want the bed near the balcony.

8662 is on the aft near the elevator. I like the 8th because it's the same floor as central park. If you need to go aft to forward or back it's easy to walk across the park, it's the least busy. I really like being on the park rather then on 6.

6312 and 8662 have the beds near the closet, plus 8662 is a connecting stateroom. Even though I like deck 8, I'd rather have 6314 as I don't want a connecting room, and I'd want the bed near the balcony.

So far then its a toss up as to whether we have a bed near the balcony in 6314 or we have a better positioned room on Deck 8!

I agree with Bob - I personally love Deck 8 on Oasis class - but I would choose a non-connecting cabin on deck 6 with the bed at the balcony instead of a connecting cabin on Deck 8 with the bed near the closet. The bed near the closet drove me nuts - just a poor design.

So far then its a toss up as to whether we have a bed near the balcony in 6314 or we have a better positioned room on Deck 8!

I don't think deck 6 is poorly positioned. It's the same level as the Boardwalk.

There's so many different preferences to this!

Deck 8 has the advantage of being easily able to walk through Central Park when going from one end of the ship to another. This is so nice that we generally do this anyway, even if going from, say, Deck 4 to Deck 14 (ie we'll get the elevator from 4 to 8, walk across the park, and then get elevator from 8 to 14). So from that point of view, 8 is convenient. But on the other hand, from an up-and-down perspective, its a bit too far for me from other other decks I'd want to go to (4, 5, 6 and 14). So I'd rather be on Deck 6 and have a fighting chance of being able to use the stairs to get to where I want to go.

What will probably be the most convenient would be to choose the cabin that's nearest a lift. Allure (?sorry, was it Allure you're going on?) is so big that being equidistant between two lifts would be really irritating, at least for me. SO much walking up and down boring endless corridors. I try to do the bulk of my forward-aft walking through either Central Park or the Promenade.

Never paid any attention to whether the bed is by the balcony or not, its always just seemed completely random to me (never realised there was a way of knowing before you board). I can see that its probably nicer to be nearer the balcony. HOWEVER, and this may affect your choice, if you have visions of being able to lie in bed with the balcony doors open listening to the sea, you can forget it :mad: On Oasis Class, and probably most of the modern ships, you can't have the balcony doors open without the AC turning itself off (not even just wide open - if you forget to completely latch and seal the balcony doors, the AC will not work). Did it once by accident (doors were shut but I hadn't pushed the latch all the way down) and didn't realise - worst, hottest, most miserable night's (non)sleep ever.

There's so many different preferences to this!

Deck 8 has the advantage of being easily able to walk through Central Park when going from one end of the ship to another. This is so nice that we generally do this anyway, even if going from, say, Deck 4 to Deck 14 (ie we'll get the elevator from 4 to 8, walk across the park, and then get elevator from 8 to 14). So from that point of view, 8 is convenient. But on the other hand, from an up-and-down perspective, its a bit too far for me from other other decks I'd want to go to (4, 5, 6 and 14). So I'd rather be on Deck 6 and have a fighting chance of being able to use the stairs to get to where I want to go.

What will probably be the most convenient would be to choose the cabin that's nearest a lift. Allure (?sorry, was it Allure you're going on?) is so big that being equidistant between two lifts would be really irritating, at least for me. SO much walking up and down boring endless corridors. I try to do the bulk of my forward-aft walking through either Central Park or the Promenade.

Never paid any attention to whether the bed is by the balcony or not, its always just seemed completely random to me (never realised there was a way of knowing before you board). I can see that its probably nicer to be nearer the balcony. HOWEVER, and this may affect your choice, if you have visions of being able to lie in bed with the balcony doors open listening to the sea, you can forget it :mad: On Oasis Class, and probably most of the modern ships, you can't have the balcony doors open without the AC turning itself off (not even just wide open - if you forget to completely latch and seal the balcony doors, the AC will not work). Did it once by accident (doors were shut but I hadn't pushed the latch all the way down) and didn't realise - worst, hottest, most miserable night's (non)sleep ever.

One reason many people like the bed by the balcony is not listening to the sea, but when the bed is by the door there is little room between the closet and the bed. Some people find it difficult to navigate.

Actually while the bed near the closet might not be easy to open, if you get up in the middle of the night it is closer to the bathroom. This minimizes walking into furniture in the middle of the night. You also can see the sea from your bed as the cabins are small. We like Central Park location. We have been in cabins with adjoining doors and heard nothing from neighbors. If you have noisey neighbors especially screaming children that is a problem best to be next to cabins for two!

Enjoy

Trying to decide if I get Oceanview vs Boardwalk Balcony, as I have not been on RCCL since about 2002. Just 2 of us for our Anniversary, we know we want the Allure, and will look to go May of 2016, but with these new ships from years ago, need a bit of help picking the cabin, thanks in advance!!!

Actually while the bed near the closet might not be easy to open, if you get up in the middle of the night it is closer to the bathroom. This minimizes walking into furniture in the middle of the night. You also can see the sea from your bed as the cabins are small. We like Central Park location. We have been in cabins with adjoining doors and heard nothing from neighbors. If you have noisey neighbors especially screaming children that is a problem best to be next to cabins for two!

Enjoy

This is my preference for the reason you say. I always get up during the night and so would pick bed near closet(and thus washroom). Personal opinion.

Personally, I would definitely go with an ocean view balcony cabin on the Allure. Just sailed on this ship in April and I was SOOOO glad we had one since there were few places on board where you could see the water, which to me is the whole point of cruising.

This is my preference for the reason you say. I always get up during the night and so would pick bed near closet(and thus washroom). Personal opinion.

boadwalk balcony can be very noisey. Boardwalk busy all day and night with a merry go round playing music. If oceanview with bal too expensive, IMO i would get a cpv on any deck but the deck under the pool

We had an aft, Boardwalk balcony stateroom on the Oasis, and we did not care for it. While it was novel and fun to look both aft at the ocean and down at the activities, that novelty wore off quickly. We found that we much prefer an ocean view balcony stateroom that affords more privacy, isn't nearly as noisy and one where we can enjoy the view of the ocean.

Edited by Stevie17

I'd go with Oceanview Balcony over Central Park or Boardwalk....my issue is that I don't want people to see me on my balcony in the morning. They is no privacy.

I'm assuming OP got it sorted out. I just went into my live inventory to see if any others opened up but there is none. Category is full.

We stayed on Deck 6 in a Balcony on our first Oasis cruise and the bed was by the closet It was very crowded and I did not like it. We chose a deck 8 balcony cabin with the bed by the balcony on our 2nd Oasis cruise and that was perfect for us. We liked being by Central Park for the convenience of cutting across the ship plus morning coffee at Cafe Promenade. We've never noticed any extra noise coming from connecting doors so whether a cabin connects or not is a non-issue to us. For our November Allure cruise, we chose a JS on deck 8.

I didn't mind the bed by the closet.

I really enjoyed having a "living room" by the balcony. It made the in and out of using the balcony especially nice.

I also enjoyed having the little vanity/desk area by the window. I did use that lighted mirror for getting ready, but it was nice to have the daylight coming through the nearby door.

Also, I liked having the bigger sofa. My parents had the opposite arrangement in their room, with the bed by the door. With the sofa closer to the closet, they choose a shorter sofa...it was more like a loveseat than a sofa.

It wasn't horrible to use the closet. I would actually just sit on the bed to access the lower shelves and take out what I wanted and put it on the bed. I would take the entire hanger, etc., of the clothing that I wanted out of the closet and use the little hooks on the bathroom door to temporarily hang whatever clothing I needed.

With strategic use of the desk drawers and the small tall cabinet...having the desk further removed from the closet also makes for things to be more spread out in the room. If you were traveling with a companion, then you could effectively create two defined spaces for getting ready...the bathroom/closet area and then the desk/living area...which is really nice so that you don't feel like you are always in the exact same space as your mate.

Deck 6 was a deck I was on a lot too. I was doing physical therapy and made regular use of the fitness center...which is accessed through Deck 6. Also...easy, easy stairs down into the actual Promenade from Deck 6. Hallways like that one on Deck 6 always seem quieter to me too because there are only cabins on one side...less people going up and down the hall.