Good to know if NCL cruise is cancelled

ejincali

Who the heck would book a trip to Europe all the way from California without travel insurance?

That is right Collin. Not too smart to do this. I can see domestic going without but that is a hefty price to pay without insurance. Looks like they were taken care of though according to the article. I wonder if the third party that booked took care of them or NCL just decided to pay them for the airline and hotels.

Who the heck would book a trip to Europe all the way from California without travel insurance?

Over time travel insurance is a losing proposition.

Otherwise insurance companies wouldn't be in business.

Not to mention I know several people who had legitimate claims denied.

Buy insurance company stock. They have a licence to steal.

Pass on travel insurance.

Maybe for the cost of the trip itself but many travel insurance polices contain medical coverage and medevac coverage. Since a medevac from the Caribbean can run upwards of $30k that is the main reason that I purchase travel insurance, figuring the other coverage is gravy.

I somewhat agree. I don't buy insurance if I'm just sailing out of Miami however if I'm flying all the way from the west coast to Europe for a cruise with some land time in there you bet I would splurge for coverage.

That is far from the truth. If people read the contract for coverage. Everything is illustrated to what the coverage will or will not pay a claim for.

Every insurance policy has what is know as the 10 day free look provision.

This allows the insured 10 days to review, and decide if the contract suites there insurable needs.

And yes I will read whatever I sign( insurance, mortgage, auto purchase ect...) and make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into. It's just personal responsibility.

And there is always a way to contact the insurer and ask the questions you may need clarification on.

The fine print is just that. It's something you need to really dive into.

For my comfort level too many things can and have gone wrong while traveling that travel insurance covers for a minimal amount of money. IMO it is a wise investment....and right now I am still ahead of the game since my travel insurance paid for cruise I had to cancel the day before sailing due to a death in the family.

Due to our cruise in January changing from 12 to 14 days we had to cancel and change flights for the return. We did that and filed insurance claim and got 100% refund, received the cheque yesterday.

Flying out of Canada is not cheap.

Edited by FranknBeans

I verified that I have some protection with my credit card. I'm willing to take the risk on the rest. As a percentage of the price of the cruise the insurance was too much so we passed.

Using www.insuremytrip.com I have been able to find comprehensive policies for around 7% of the total cruise cost.

Why bother with insurance, if you cancel or trip gets cancelled whine loud enough to the right people and they will reimburse you anyway. This is the America we live in now, everyone is entitled

I doubt that would work to get you onboard an air ambulance;).

Why bother with insurance, if you cancel or trip gets cancelled whine loud enough to the right people and they will reimburse you anyway. This is the America we live in now, everyone is entitled

In this day and age just ignore responsibilities and contingencies, party on, and when things go sideways start a go funding charity page

Edited by LMaxwell

I verified that I have some protection with my credit card. I'm willing to take the risk on the rest. As a percentage of the price of the cruise the insurance was too much so we passed.

I know with one of my credit cards, there is a secondary coverage for "accidents". Trouble is, a whole lot more medical issues can cause problems. IF you have a heart attack- that's no accident. :)

It's all about, risk. AND a personal choice.

That is far from the truth. If people read the contract for coverage. Everything is illustrated to what the coverage will or will not pay a claim for.

Every insurance policy has what is know as the 10 day free look provision.

This allows the insured 10 days to review, and decide if the contract suites there insurable needs.

And yes I will read whatever I sign( insurance, mortgage, auto purchase ect...) and make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into. It's just personal responsibility.

And there is always a way to contact the insurer and ask the questions you may need clarification on.

The fine print is just that. It's something you need to really dive into.

Many people don't have the legal background required to fully understand the fine print.

I think nearly everyone knows somebody, or knows of somebody who an insurance company managed to weasel out of paying.

My credit card covers me for cancelling the trip for sickness/death in the family/ weather issues, airline issues, cruise line issues. My health insurance covers medical evacuation even international. I don't need additional travel insurance beyond that - though I do not have "cancel for any reason" insurance. The only thing I'm concerned could happen that I'm not insured for is an emergency with my pets right before the cruise that would make me want to stay home.

My credit card covers me for cancelling the trip for sickness/death in the family/ weather issues, airline issues, cruise line issues. My health insurance covers medical evacuation even international. I don't need additional travel insurance beyond that - though I do not have "cancel for any reason" insurance. The only thing I'm concerned could happen that I'm not insured for is an emergency with my pets right before the cruise that would make me want to stay home.

You have excellent coverage so that may be a good decision for you. I don't think a lot of us have that option or perhaps I am in the minority.

I never thought about this until just now... but I've traveled all over Europe and some parts of Asia (land-based) and I NEVER bought travel insurance.

Now I just booked my first cruise and my gut was telling me to get it. So for the first time ever, I bought a policy.

Here's to hoping I won't need it! :p

I was booked on the ncl epic for a 7 nts around the med at 1000 British pound the cruise was cancelled and the option they have was not enough to move the cruise to a different date I'm now booked on a p&o for next oct for 14 nts to the Caribbean from UK I don't get a drinks package like on ncl but I get double the cruise for little over 100 pound more and as I'm not a big drinker anyway I think I got a good deal :-) x