Connection time in European airports going to the US

Pearl64

I have been researching flights from Istanbul to GSP, CLT, or ATL on or about June 5, 2016. Many flights have a connection in Europe. What is the minimum time to connect flying from Istanbul to the US for CDG, AMS, FRA, or MUNICH? I usually like a cushion rather than dashing and trying to figure out language. Some other flights connect in Brussels, Zurich, or Rome. Also, which airports would be easier to make the connections. I have no idea whether or not we would need to go through passport control and security which adds to the time. I do know once we hit the first airport in the US we will need to go through immigration and Passport control. thanks for all the responses.

Pearl

I have been researching flights from Istanbul to GSP, CLT, or ATL on or about June 5, 2016. Many flights have a connection in Europe. What is the minimum time to connect flying from Istanbul to the US for CDG, AMS, FRA, or MUNICH? I usually like a cushion rather than dashing and trying to figure out language. Some other flights connect in Brussels, Zurich, or Rome. Also, which airports would be easier to make the connections. I have no idea whether or not we would need to go through passport control and security which adds to the time. I do know once we hit the first airport in the US we will need to go through immigration and Passport control. thanks for all the responses.

Pearl

I would give myself two hours in any of those places. You'll re-clear security in each, but no immigration - since Turkey isn't part of Schengen, you'll exit Turkey in Istanbul and not worry about immigration until arriving in the US.

You COULD do it in less time, especially in Munich, but I wouldn't. Munich is, in my opinion, the easiest of all of the major airports in Europe to connect through.

Agree with Zach. We have connected in FRA and AMS. I'm seeing this on Google flights Sun, Jun 5 for $558 one way

5:50 am – 7:55 am

Istanbul (IST) – Frankfurt (FRA)

Lufthansa 1305 · Economy class · Airbus A321

Average legroom (30")

3h 05m

Stream to your device

No Wi-Fi

No in-seat power

Layover in Frankfurt FRA2h 05m

10:00 am – 2:05 pm

Frankfurt (FRA) – Atlanta (ATL)

Lufthansa 444 · Economy class · Airbus A340

Average legroom (31")

10h 05m

Wi-Fi

In-seat & USB power

On-demand video

or this

Sun, Jun 5

5:45 pm – 7:55 pm

Istanbul (IST) – Frankfurt (FRA)

Lufthansa 1301 · Economy class · Airbus A321

Average legroom (30")

3h 10m

Stream to your device

No Wi-Fi

No in-seat power

Layover in Frankfurt FRA Overnight14h 05m

10:00 am+1 – 2:05 pm+1

Frankfurt (FRA) – Atlanta (ATL)

Lufthansa 444 · Economy class · Airbus A340

Average legroom (31")

10h 05m

Wi-Fi

In-seat & USB power

On-demand video

There is a lovely hotel in Frankfurt airport that we have used for overnight layovers or cancelled/delayed flights

Edited by Alaskanb

highly recommend at LEAST 2 hours in AMS. we had 2hr 5min layover and it was barely enough. by the time we cleared immigration (after the LONG hike across the airport to get to it) and to the gate (another LONG hike from immigration and the last gate in that terminal) we didn't have enough time for a proper meal.

Since a few weeks security in AMS has changed. It will no longer taske place at the gates but at a central point. That means if you are in transit and coming from a ""safe"" country you donot need to pass through security anymore. That makes a transfer much easier and you need less time.

AMS is a 1 terminal concept, but sometimes walks from one gate to the other might be long

Edited by Ine

I just wanted to add to give yourself a lot of time to get to the Istanbul Airport. If you are getting off the ship in the AM and going directly there I would give yourself at least one hour driving time. It might be quicker than that but just going the first mile or two can take awhile because of traffic.

Keith

Munich and Zurich are compact and efficient. Amsterdam is a nice airport, but like Ine has indicated, is rather large. Frankfurt and CDG are not as bad as they are often made out to be, but also quite large.

All the airports you listed will have signs in English.

And in AMS, English is actually the primary language on all airport signs. The signs also have Dutch, but the Dutch words are below the English, and smaller. There are also English-speaking airport reps here and there in the terminal to assist.