Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

Regardless, the ship will send ashore whatever documentation that was in their possession. U.S. citizens who choose to sail without a passport must also travel with some form of ID (drivers license, etc.) AND a proof of citizenship (birth certificate, etc.).

It is no coincidence that those two items are exactly what the U.S. Embassy or consulate needs to grant a quick temporary passport for return to the states.

Right. So back to the reasons for my original comment. [emoji3]

Hopefully they have passports so they aren't further delayed.
Edited by LrgPizza

Right....great idea....leave your 2 young vulnerable and probably drunk 20 something daughters stranded with a bag and have them figure a way home

It is obvious you do not have 20 year old daughters

Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of these 2 girls.....your suggestion is a BAD one

Momma bear getting off the ship was the right thing to do

And the teaching of the lesson is that the 2 girls cover the return home costs for all 3 of them

Disclaimer: no one in my family ever stops at these kinds of bars...including my 19...20 and 24 year old daughters....

But a parent DOES NOT leave daughters these ages behind to teach a lesson. That is plain idiocy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay I get that most parent's wouldn't just abandon their kids - it's a parent thing. But my questions is WHY is it plain idiocy if the mom DID choose to let the daughters deal with it themselves. They are ADULTS and shouldn't need to be babied. If they can drink, smoke, vote, drive, etc etc then they should be responsible for themselves and not need their mother.

I do as I said however see why the mother would get off the ship. She is still their mother and maternal instinct never goes away just cos your kids 'grow up'

Right....great idea....leave your 2 young vulnerable and probably drunk 20 something daughters stranded with a bag and have them figure a way home

It is obvious you do not have 20 year old daughters

Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of these 2 girls.....your suggestion is a BAD one

Momma bear getting off the ship was the right thing to do

And the teaching of the lesson is that the 2 girls cover the return home costs for all 3 of them

Disclaimer: no one in my family ever stops at these kinds of bars...including my 19...20 and 24 year old daughters....

But a parent DOES NOT leave daughters these ages behind to teach a lesson. That is plain idiocy

Ha! I knew a helicopter would come whirling in to chastise me.

Any 20 year old who travels should possess the tools to navigate their way home from a foreign country. My mother gave birth to me when she was 20. When I was 20 I was back packing through Europe alone. Some families instill responsibility and independence. Not everyone who parents like you. And not every who parents differently is a bad parent.

Besides, I would have left them a credit card. That is already a bail out. Usually lack of financial resources is the biggest obstacle to overcome when one screw up.

BTW, I leave my little one on the ship sometimes while at port. *Gasp*

Edited by Jane Don

Okay I get that most parent's wouldn't just abandon their kids - it's a parent thing. But my questions is WHY is it plain idiocy if the mom DID choose to let the daughters deal with it themselves. They are ADULTS and shouldn't need to be babied. If they can drink, smoke, vote, drive, etc etc then they should be responsible for themselves and not need their mother.

I do as I said however see why the mother would get off the ship. She is still their mother and maternal instinct never goes away just cos your kids 'grow up'

Ok I'll make it simple

Only an IDIOT parent leaves their vulnerable young daughters abandoned in a foreign country especially if that parent has a choice and can get off the ship also

Key words .......young....vulnerable...drunk....foreign country ....can get off ship

Ha! I knew a helicopter would come whirling in to chastise me.

Any 20 year old who travels should possess the tools to navigate their way home from a foreign country. My mother gave birth to me when she was 20. When I was 20 I was back packing through Europe alone. Some families instill responsibility and independence. Not everyone who parents like you. And not every who parents differently is a bad parent.

Besides, I would have left them a credit card. That is already a bail out. Usually lack of financial resources is the biggest obstacle to overcome when one screw up.

BTW, I leave my little one on the ship sometimes while at port. *Gasp*

You leave your little one in the kids camp while you are in port.....because if you aren't you are doing something wrong

Btw....you said little one...not me....so we must assume its a young child....not a14 yo

But you can win this discussion...you can leave your kids wherever you want

It won't change the fact that the mother did the right thing for her daughters

The cost of airfare back etc is never a consideration for a good parent in a case like this

Enjoy your day oh and I love your use of the helicopter parent theory....stop drinking the liberal kool aid over there lol....its just another word to diminish parental authority

Parents need to parent and that sometimes means hovering over a kid...to keep them safe especially and hovering would have a good thing to do here

But as I said you have a nice day

Edited by luvtheships

Ok I'll make it simple

Only an IDIOT parent leaves their vulnerable young daughters abandoned in a foreign country especially if that parent has a choice and can get off the ship also

Key words .......young....vulnerable...drunk....foreign country ....can get off ship

Raise your daughters as if they are vulnerable and they most certainly will grow to be just that. You can't convince me your right, because I think helicopter parents are what is wrong with society. Why behave responsibly when you have parents to bail you every time. And how insulting to young women everywhere for you to suggest that they are incapable of booking a hotel and a flight. But hey, that is just my opinion and I would never tell someone else how to parent their kids. And I certainly wouldn't resort name calling.

Ok I'll make it simple

They're 20 years old, not 15 years old - big difference. They can vote, drink and smoke in foreign countries that is not the US, have their own places, marry, drive cars - Yeah, 15 years can do some of that too but the difference is they are not legally adults until 18 in the US, unlike the 20 years old.

And no offense and truly not a condemnation against the mother because some mothers would never leave their kids up the creek with no paddle AKA leaving them behind in another country with no money / passports - This is a case where a mom genuinely failed to teach her adult daughters how to manage and keep track of time, in one form or another when they were much younger. The fact the girls were at a bar, drinking, makes it look even more bad - That's reflection of one's parenting skills, inadvertently or not. All three are paying the price now for two 20 years olds not paying attention to a cruise schedule, looking at the time on the cell phone/watch/ clock and thinking a ship was going to wait for them(only mom knew that wasn't happening). Will the girls learn to look at the time and get back to the ship before departure, so it never happens to them again - Hopefully.....

Raise your daughters as if they are vulnerable and they most certainly will grow to be just that. You can't convince me your right, because I think helicopter parents are what is wrong with society. Why behave responsibly when you have parents to bail you every time. And how insulting to young women everywhere for you to suggest that they are incapable of booking a hotel and a flight. But hey, that is just my opinion and I would never tell someone else how to parent their kids. And I certainly wouldn't resort name calling.

Quoted for truth.

If you believe adult women are inherently "vulnerable" and that adults drinking in Bermuda constitutes a clear threat to safety, momma bear shouldn't have permitted them to travel there in the first place. Can't be too careful! After all, it's a foreign country!

Better lock them up back in the U.S. too. And I would *strongly* recommend not letting your daughter attend college, unless you're going to hire a security guard to tail her to every party.

Edited by perditax

Can we please keep it civil? No need for the phrase "idiot parent"....so disrespectful!

There is no idiot parent in this story....the parent got off the ship so she is a good parent

Idiot parent is hypothetical is this situation as there wasn't one

So no is being called an idiot parent

Quoted for truth.

If you believe adult women are inherently "vulnerable" and that adults drinking in Bermuda constitutes a clear threat to safety, momma bear shouldn't have permitted them to travel there in the first place. Can't be too careful! After all, it's a foreign country!

Better lock them up back in the U.S. too. And I would *strongly* recommend not letting your daughter attend college, unless you're going to hire a security guard to tail her to every party.

Any adult male or female that misses the ship is vulnerable by the mere fact they have only the clothes on their back and maybe their stuff was left with the port agent

You are vulnerable if you miss the ship!!!!!! Everyone is!!

Clearly these girls were drinking. Making them more vulnerable than normal had they missed the ship

Btw....if they were 20 yo boys...the parent still had the parental responsibility to get off the ship

Please don't confuse sending an 18 yo off to college so they can grow and learn with leaving your most likely drunk son or daughter in a foreign port

This is what is wrong these days...the inability to distinguish one situation from another...not everything is cut and dry ....as much as people want to try to fool themselves into believing this....

And what happens if this same situation occured on the island of Mallorca?

I'm missing your point, unless there are closed loop cruises from the USA to Mallorca, about which I was unaware.

My point was that it's easier to resolve these situations if you are already sailing with a passport than if you've chosen to sail with other forms of ID. There will always be people that will argue that, but Barnacle Boy's post makes my point.

Any adult male or female that misses the ship is vulnerable by the mere fact they have only the clothes on their back and maybe their stuff was left with the port agent

Clearly these girls were drinking. Making them more vulnerable than normal had they missed the ship

Btw....if they were 20 yo boys...the parent still had the parental responsibility to get off the ship

Please don't confuse sending an 18 yo off to college so they can grow and learn with leaving your most likely drunk son or daughter in a foreign port

This is what is wrong these days...the inability to distinguish one situation from another...not everything is cut and dry ....as much as people want to try to fool themselves into believing this....

You do know there more underage drinking in the US (legal drinking age is 21 here) especially in the colleges and universities because all it takes is one parent/ 21-22 person trying to be cool to bring in alcohol. And if you think nothing bad ever happens in those places in the US, you are sadly mistaken. Its no wonder, some of the young people in the US when they go to other countries where its in the 16-20 range legal age to drink - they don't know how to act and they act like the world should wait on them. That works well when you have a hotel to stay overnight or 2, not so well when its a cruise ship on a schedule.

I am in state of utter disbelief that this thread is still being nourished, albeit born at all.:eek:

When did CC become a forum on parenting ?;)

I'm still trying to figure out when these daughters became 20 years old. They could be in their 30s or 40s for all I've seen. If they are, I hope they pull the excuse, "It's my mom's fault. I wasn't raised right." instead of taking responsibility. :rolleyes:

Mallorca is in Europe so all Americans must have a pp

I realize that. My example was extreme by design. Being stranded in Bermuda is one thing. Being stranded in Mallorca, France, or Columbia is entirely a different situation. This relative to the discussion of whether passengers take their passport ashore or not.

Have heard a lot off opinions and suppositions about the ship taking passports out of safes to be delivered to a port agent. However, I have not read of one single circumstance where this actually happened.

I'm still trying to figure out when these daughters became 20 years old. They could be in their 30s or 40s for all I've seen. If they are, I hope they pull the excuse, "It's my mom's fault. I wasn't raised right." instead of taking responsibility. :rolleyes:

Hahaha!!

Ok I'll make it simple

Well maybe parents who have vulnerable young drunk daughters shouldn't allow them to be unsupervised in a foreign port in the first place. [emoji15]

Is that the sound of back peddling I hear.

Drunk, young, female, foreign country. Let me tell you - that sounds like every vacation any woman ever took in her 20s.

And everyone knows that you directed the "idiot parent" remark at me. You even used all caps. :(

This was posted: "Two young ladies in their 20s having too much fun at Calico Jacks, the pirate boat, and totally forgot about the time. Mom had to get off the ship and go get them, and by that time the ship was leaving, mom very very mad. Plan to return one hour before departure, taking it to the last minute is not going to do anything for you."

This is where they became in their 20's :)

Edited by SuiteCruiser