Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

It seems that 4,000 folks paid attention to details and 2 didn't, so the blame lays solely on the shoulders of the two young ladies. Also, on all my NCL cruise, they tell you to bring an id along with our keycard when departing the ship, if NCL didn't do this on your cruise shame on them.

Bermuda requires photo ID and their immigration/ security officers check everyone's Photo ID returning to the ship. So I expect they had ID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Bermuda requires photo ID and their immigration/ security officers check everyone's Photo ID returning to the ship. So I expect they had ID.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was responding to the post that said this: You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs.

The best present Mom could have given her daughters is a watch, and taught them how to tell time when they were small.

She could have reminded them to be on board before 2:30. If they weren't, she should have called their cell phones, or texted them. "Hurry Back, we're leaving now." Mom did not have to leave the ship. Like any Mom, she would have worried, if she didn't.

The ship leaves notices in passenger staterooms, reminding folks to change their clocks and watches 1 hour ahead. It's up to the passengers to do so.

I was married and a parent in my early twenties, and had to make decisions for my children. I guess yesterday's twenty somethings had a different out-look.

It seems that 4,000 folks paid attention to details and 2 didn't, so the blame lays solely on the shoulders of the two young ladies. Also, on all my NCL cruise, they tell you to bring an id along with our keycard when departing the ship, if NCL didn't do this on your cruise shame on them.

They always tell you that. We had to show a picture ID when reboarding.

That's how heated debates start-

1) a Person posts something of anything, even kittens.

2) Wait for someone to not like it.

3) ?????

4) Profit!!

You ain't gettin' no tree fiddy, dam loch ness monster! :mad:

As someone else posted, they blow the ship's horn several times. There's no way you can miss that. :eek: I think DD and SIL were too busy getting trashed. :cool: It's pretty easy to do in that port.

Wait, the time of departure wasn't on the upper right-hand side of the daily the night before? Because personally, I look at the corner of the daily to make sure there was no changes from the itinerary I wrote up for myself especially for a port stop departure time.

Actually, when departing the ship, there is a BIG GIANT SIGN with the time for crew and passengers to be back on the ship.

Seriously, it's a BIG GIANT SIGN.

You do know there more underage drinking in the US (legal drinking age is 21 here) especially in the colleges and universities because all it takes is one parent/ 21-22 person trying to be cool to bring in alcohol. And if you think nothing bad ever happens in those places in the US, you are sadly mistaken. Its no wonder, some of the young people in the US when they go to other countries where its in the 16-20 range legal age to drink - they don't know how to act and they act like the world should wait on them. That works well when you have a hotel to stay overnight or 2, not so well when its a cruise ship on a schedule.

Your comments have nothing to do with this issue....because....

A parent does not abandon their kids in a foreign country to teach them a lesson....the parent does their best to help them...as in this case...getting off the ship too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She got off the ship with no time to spare, which is questionable. If she didn't know where they were (unclear), that's a bit questionable.

I would think a good mom would have found them with enough time to make the ship, and yell at them.

Agreed the timing was bad

Of course based on the other posters opinions....if the mom got off earlier she would have been accused of being a helicopter parent. Lol

Funny how the opinions range from letting the kids learn a harsh lesson and just abandon them

To being an overprotective hovering parent

To being a bad parent because she let them drink

To doing the right thing and getting off to help her kids

Logic doesn't even come into play with most posters

But what probably happened was she hoped she wouldn't need to leave the ship and the girls would make it in time...which seems logical

When she realized that wasn't going to happen she did the logical thing at that point and got off

Edited by luvtheships

Agreed the timing was bad

Of course based on the other posters opinions....if the mom got off earlier she would have been accused of being a helicopter parent. Lol

Funny how the opinions range from letting the kids learn a harsh lesson and just abandon them

To being an overprotective hovering parent

To being a bad parent because she let them drink

To doing the right thing and getting off to help her kids

Logic doesn't even come into play with most posters

But what probably happened was she hoped she wouldn't need to leave the ship and the girls would make it in time...which seems logical

When she realized that wasn't going to happen she did the logical thing at that point and got off

Silly you, using logic!

Something everyone is forgetting here is that regardless of their ages....they did not return to the ship in time!!!

Initial questions to be asked...At that point....should be

Are they ok?

Did they have an accident?

Are they lost?

Are they in trouble?

I don't care what their ages or sex are....if someone I was cruising with failed to return to the ship I would get off to find them...to make sure they are safe....and to be company for them trying to get home

You just do not abandon traveling companions ...be it your adult kids...or your best friend..or your spouse

Everyone just loves to "momma bash" these days and blame them for not raising proper adults....but change the circumstances a wee but...

Would you leave your spouse behind?

If they went shopping and you didn't want to go?

If they took a private snorkeling excursion and you didn't want to go?

If they decided to walk around a little longer in town and you needed to get to the ship and relax?

Stop with the adult child nonsense and think clearly....

You do whatever it takes to not abandon your traveling companions

They could be hurt...lost....any number of things!!!!

A parent does not abandon their kids in a foreign country to teach them a lesson....the parent does their best to help them...as in this case...getting off the ship too

"Now that there are validated criteria defining overparenting, other researchers can study its effects. In the meantime, the latest study by Chris Segrin and colleagues shows that overparenting young adults breeds narcissism and poor coping skiils. And having ineffective coping skills amplifies anxiety and stress. To say that the new studies are significant is an understatement. They demonstrate how those who mean only the best for their kids can wind up bringing out the worst in them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/nation-wimps/201401/helicopter-parenting-its-worse-you-think

"The data emerging confirms the harm done by asking so little of our kids when it comes to life skills, yet so much of them when it comes to academics.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2015/07/helicopter_parenting_is_increasingly_correlated_with_college_age_depression.html

“Why did parenting change from preparing our kids for life to protecting them from life, which means they’re not prepared to live life on their own?”

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/helicopter-parenting-is-impairing-our-kids

There are many experts and parents alike who disagree. I am not even trying to criticize you or your hypothetical choice. I merely am making a case that parents who make different choices are not necessarily bad or idiots. Ironically it is usually the overparents that are most critical of others.

No offense - this one of those cases where, no matter what mom does to rectify it, her children goofed up so badly all because mom was technically with them. On vacation. They were lucky she cared enough to get off the ship to wai and actually look for them while going through the trouble of getting on a tug to get back.

Does that make mom look bad? Yes, because it was no win situation even if the girls did get back on time. Why? Because her children have no sense of time and no common courtesy to their own parents to get back onboard before 3pm. If it was college off-campus party and the girls got wasted to the point cops were call - mom would still look bad because its her kids and her kids have no sense of not getting into trouble. It's like,you mean to tell me, you can't stop making your mother worry over needless stupidity - because getting drunk right across from the ship you have to get back on and missing it, qualifies as stupidity. Mom didn't look stupid on her own accord, her daughters did and mom is paying the price for their stupidity.

May she never let them live it down; I know mines wouldn't - That's automatic argument shutdown. Could be arguing about something completely different and mom will come out of left field with "Remember what happen in Bermuda and you and your sister missed the boat? Remember, who bail you out? Not another word from you!!". Trust me - that is something you do not want your parents to hang over your head, ever. And it happen in the parent's presence - that is double bad; those girls pretty much gave their mom the right AND excuse to never take them on any vacation ever!

Something everyone is forgetting here is that regardless of their ages....they did not return to the ship in time!!!

Initial questions to be asked...At that point....should be

Are they ok?

Did they have an accident?

Are they lost?

Are they in trouble?

I don't care what their ages or sex are....if someone I was cruising with failed to return to the ship I would get off to find them...to make sure they are safe....and to be company for them trying to get home

You just do not abandon traveling companions ...be it your adult kids...or your best friend..or your spouse

Everyone just loves to "momma bash" these days and blame them for not raising proper adults....but change the circumstances a wee but...

Would you leave your spouse behind?

If they went shopping and you didn't want to go?

If they took a private snorkeling excursion and you didn't want to go?

If they decided to walk around a little longer in town and you needed to get to the ship and relax?

Stop with the adult child nonsense and think clearly....

You do whatever it takes to not abandon your traveling companions

They could be hurt...lost....any number of things!!!!

Couldn't agree more with the above.

There was some sort of survey that was published a while ago asking people their worst fear while on vacation away from home. I thought the answers would be 'losing my passport', 'missing my flight' etc., but no...the #1 answer was (to my great surprise) "losing my travelling companion"!

I had never considered the possibility of losing my travelling companion, but in light of the event in this thread, I can only imagine the fear and worry the mother would have had...and would have had if the missing person(s) were her partner/spouse/SO/children/best friend/ whoever.

I would have left the ship as well for whoever I was travelling with if they failed to make it back in time.