Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

An Embassy will usually issue a temporary passport immediately after filling out a couple of short forms. Not much of delay at all :)

It happens quickly, but it doesn't happen instantly. There are not people sitting there 24 hours a day, 7 days per week ready to hand these things over. It's an extra step, whether you like it or not. Having a passport in hand already completely eliminates having to do this. I'm not quite sure how you can argue that, but I'm sure you will find a way.

Just ask the dude who recently missed the RCI ship at Nassau. If he'd had his passport, he could have caught a flight the same day. Since he only had a photocopy, he had to stay the night somewhere so that he could go to the office first thing in the morning when they opened. Is that a big deal? Maybe not for some, but it might be for others.

Edited by LrgPizza

How many of you have had your picture taken when you checked in on embarkation day ?

Every time your key card gets swiped, your picture comes up. The reason for the photo ID getting through the gates is for those security people who don't swipe your card and thus can't see your picture. :rolleyes:

When your card gets swiped by Security on the ship, they get their head count.

All they have to do is print up a copy of your picture, ID, passport and hand it over.

Sort of me too. If it was my husband drunk in the bar in Bermuda, not sure if I wouldn't leave him behind.

Let's make it easier (or harder) - husband is in a bar off the ship, ship is about to leave, and you have a spa pass for the duration of the cruise.

For my last 2 cruises May and June, we were told we needed to show that we had picture ID before we could leave the ship. Not sure if the itinerary matters, but it was very clear and I had even told my friends on the first cruise that no one would check until we came back, but was wrong. We needed to prove we had it before swiping our cards to leave.

One or two posters on here were on this cruise on the Breakaway and clearlly said there was NO SIGN. They looked for it and it was not there, people around them didn't know when to come back, but they also conceded that perhaps there was a sign at the other exit/entrance.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

.. I just think there needs to be a little more communication about the time and also to have a picture ID with you. You should have seen the line of people on the first day in Bermuda who didn't bring ID off the ship and had to check their ship cards with a passenger list in customs.

[sMH] Seriously? People in this day and age actually have to be told to take a picture ID with them when traveling? How do they even leave their homes?

I don't even go jogging in my own neighborhood without a picture ID! [/sMH]

How many of you have had your picture taken when you checked in on embarkation day ?

Every time your key card gets swiped, your picture comes up. The reason for the photo ID getting through the gates is for those security people who don't swipe your card and thus can't see your picture. :rolleyes:

When your card gets swiped by Security on the ship, they get their head count.

At check station, ship security would make you removing your hat or hood to make sure you are the person in the picture and not an imposer who got hold of a passenger's card on the sidewalk.

I've been asked to show a picture ID many times when reboarding a ship. We always carry a credit card, copy of our passports, drivers license and ships card when we disembark. I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Case in point I was pick pocketed or lost my wallet folder as we were disembarking the Breakaway in NYC. I swiped my ship card put it in my wallet folder which had a cc, drivers license and ATM card. Put it in my purse. Picked up my phone to call the driver. Put the phone back in my purse and noticed the wallet was gone. This was just steps from leaving the ship. Notified security, retraced my steps etc. It was gone. My DH immediately pulled out our " what if" paper and within minutes I had cancelled everything. So the person who "found" my wallet folder didn't have a chance to use any of the cards. Getting a new driver's license was a pain but everything else was fine. From now on I will put my wallet folder in my carryon upon leaving the ship. Cash was in my carryon.

Some ports do not allow the ships to sound their horns.

This is incorrect. The International Rules of the Road (COLREGS) require one prolonged blast on the ship's whistle (which some people call a horn) prior to getting underway from port or anchorage. No port can restrict this. Three short blasts are also required when operating astern propulsion (such as backing away from the pier).

Ports can restrict a ship's ability to sound the whistle in non-emergency, non-required situations, but they can't outright ban it. That, and any mariner worth their pay always does a test of the whistle prior to getting underway (it is required to be functional at all times), so the ship could write a "warning to passengers" blast off as that.

For my last 2 cruises May and June, we were told we needed to show that we had picture ID before we could leave the ship. Not sure if the itinerary matters, but it was very clear and I had even told my friends on the first cruise that no one would check until we came back, but was wrong. We needed to prove we had it before swiping our cards to leave.

One or two posters on here were on this cruise on the Breakaway and clearlly said there was NO SIGN. They looked for it and it was not there, people around them didn't know when to come back, but they also conceded that perhaps there was a sign at the other exit/entrance.

They had the red zipper sign right above the metal detectors when getting off the ship. In fact 1 man in front of me joked with the security officer about getting back at 4:30 and was quickly corrected by the officer. There was no excuse for them missing the ship. If the girls had noticed the other 100 people clearing out of the water slide, the bar itself, and all the foot traffic back to the ship they should have known the ship was getting ready to leave, I think it was a choice of 1 more drink, we still have time.

I had the AFT PH and went back to my room to let my brothers kids watch the tugboat (I watched them running from the pool deck and went back to the cabin when they were standing by the doorway waiting for the tugboat to pick them up) and we saw when the tugboat turned around after giving up due to the pouring rain.

With that said, if I was their mom I would have kicked their a$$es.

Edited by iimmie

Oh good, I wasn't the only one that thought this was the best blackmail material a mother can hold over her children forever and the daughters did it to themselves!:eek: Mom is never going to let them live it down, she'll even tell the grandchildren years from now, about the time in Bermuda when their mothers were in their 20's missing the ship, HA!

Not all families are vindictive. Some treat each other with respect and don't dwell on others mistakes.

Those families don't come from the Bronx! ;) Or Canada. Or............

Some families treat each other with respect and rip each other mercilessly for each others mistakes. Toughens us up.:)

Those families don't come from the Bronx! ;) Or Canada. Or............

Some families treat each other with respect and rip each other mercilessly for each others mistakes. Toughens us up.:)

Mines comes from Central America - getting left behind at a port because you were drinking is a mistake you never want your mother or any family member to hang over your head. Especially when they were there on the trip - they will never let one live it down nor shut up about it. Its like, "Well, I was drunk at Doñna Chatcha primo's daughter's baptism and still went to the after party at 9pm" "Bruto!! that's not same thing!!" Ugg, got to defend yourself every time it gets brought up - not much of choice but to toughen up and take it.....:cool:

Like I said, it was an expensive lesson to learn about keeping time and following a schedule / departure deadline - Hopefully, the daughters learned their lesson, hopefully.....I don't blame mom is never wants to take them on another cruise ever again or for while - That's a crummy way to end a cruise vacation!:eek:

Edited by maywell

WoW 2 weeks in a row! Looks like Miami sez" teach em a lesson " and won't wait with their new time slot.:(

Yup... NCL Got you all to pay attention :p

13000 post of free publicity, only the girls Paid the price for it.

Edited by biker@sea

[sMH] Seriously? People in this day and age actually have to be told to take a picture ID with them when traveling? How do they even leave their homes?

I don't even go jogging in my own neighborhood without a picture ID! [/sMH]

I always have mine on me as well, but I guess some people don't.

When traveling, it always amazes me what I see, especially what some try to take through the security line at the airport. Either people don't know or they just don't care or they think they are special.

There is a first time for everything. I've always seen a BIG SIGN with the info.

If there was sign, I completely missed it on the Breakaway but then again I look at dailies the night before for departure time and bring my cell phone and/or watch to keep track of time (also helps to have clear waterproof pouch to hold valuables in, ie, passport, credit cards, etc). Also, helps to write it down too...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

There is a first time for everything. I've always seen a BIG SIGN with the info.

On Bermuda cruises those signs are put up the first day and they never take them down or change anything on them. So it would be incomprehensible that there was no sign. I think those whose they didn't see the sign are not paying attention or by day three they are so used to of it they don't look at it again.

Edited by Charles4515

I agree with you on the time not always being obvious. Yes it's in the paper but if you aren't a seasoned cruiser or a reader then you wouldn't see it. Also they don't make the announcements in cabins anymore so you don't always hear it. They have the little board when you get off the ship, but if you're excited or in a hurry you don't always see it either. I don't think these are excuses but it's not always as obvious as some people think

It is not always obvious but as a responsible person, you need to be responsible for knowing what time to get back on BEFORE you get off. There are plenty of ways to find that out. Even my 16 year old knows to double check. And I believe these girls were a bit older if I understand it right (I may be wrong on this)

Stressful for them. I bet it was and as a mother I would have probably panicked. Then gave my kids an earful then I would have made them figure out how to get us back home.

I have never been asked for an ID, other than my keycard, when leaving the ship either. NCL and every other cruise line I've been on (over 35 cruises) is very clear in their communications to take a picture ID with you when you get off the ship and not one of them every asked for me to show it to them when I got off the ship. If people don't read or hear the directions, then it is their own fault, not the cruise line's, if they don't follow the directions.

deleted

Edited by DebJ14

This is incorrect. The International Rules of the Road (COLREGS) require one prolonged blast on the ship's whistle (which some people call a horn) prior to getting underway from port or anchorage. No port can restrict this. Three short blasts are also required when operating astern propulsion (such as backing away from the pier).

Ports can restrict a ship's ability to sound the whistle in non-emergency, non-required situations, but they can't outright ban it. That, and any mariner worth their pay always does a test of the whistle prior to getting underway (it is required to be functional at all times), so the ship could write a "warning to passengers" blast off as that.

If you google "city noise ordinances re cruise ships", you may find that my statement is correct.l

On Bermuda cruises those signs are put up the first day and they never take them down or change anything on them. So it would be incomprehensible that there was no sign. I think those whose they didn't see the sign are not paying attention or by day three they are so used to of it they don't look at it again.

The issue here is not necessarily the sign, but that those who were NOT there are disputing the word of those who WERE there.

If you google "city noise ordinances re cruise ships", you may find that my statement is correct.l

You are correct... this was just posted by John Heald from Carnival:

This is a good time to mention that in some home ports and some of the places the ship’s call at we are not allowed to sound the ship’s horn on departure for “noise pollution” reasons……………I know all our Captains would like to because they respect sea going traditions more than most but sometimes, they are simply not allowed to.

This is a very simple issue to resolve without having 300+ comments about this. This only lies in the people that didn't know when to get back to the ship and that's it. There is no blame on the cruise line or anyone except themselves for the situation they put themselves in. I have been in many NCL cruises and never once not know when the ship was leaving. They are very clear with announcements, signs when leaving, and the dailies given each day. If they missed reading, seeing, or hearing then that's their own problem. If hundreds missed the boat that might be an issue to look into, but that's not the case here. This is a simple case of teenagers not knowing what time it was and having fun until they missed the boat. They are the ones responsible for this them alone.