Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

Nope 2 kids swimming off a boat next to the ship that would not wait 5 min. for a mother to help her kids . This is not the way thing have been done in Bermuda. I'M prurdy sure order from Miami forced this, I would be surprised if it was the Captains .

A 20 year is not a child, they are an adult that made a stupid mistake and are paying for it because the captain was not going to wait another 30 minutes for them - look at Port Bermuda cam, literally says 4:34pm was when the tugboat tries pulls up to ship. Two idiots held up the ship for almost more than a hour after it was suppose to leave, if I was captain - I would leave them too!!

I don't understand the people who are putting blame in NCL. We are talking about two adults who were sitting in a bar. They didn't have car trouble, they weren't on a ferry which was running late.....they were in a bar a few hundred feet from the ship. If your that dumb you deserve what you get. When my wife and I step off a ship for a day in port we know exactly when to be back.

Because they could have waited 4 minutes. They could have allowed the mother to retrieve her progeny and then sailed with zero harm done. They arrived in NY at 2 am and sat and waited. It wouldn't have inconvenienced anyone to wait and allow them to board.

I get they were late and shouldn't have been. I am not blaming NCL. But they could have waited. I get what Biker is saying. This was punitive to make an example.

Because they could have waited 4 minutes. They could have allowed the mother to retrieve her progeny and then sailed with zero harm done. They arrived in NY at 2 am and sat and waited. It wouldn't have inconvenienced anyone to wait and allow them to board.

I get they were late and shouldn't have been. I am not blaming NCL. But they could have waited. I get what Biker is saying. This was punitive to make an example.

Do you believe it would take 4 minutes to get them? It takes almost that much time just to walk the length of the dock in Bermuda.

Nope 2 kids swimming off a boat next to the ship that would not wait 5 min. for a mother to help her kids . This is not the way thing have been done in Bermuda. I'M prurdy sure order from Miami forced this, I would be surprised if it was the Captains choice .

As I recall NCL has a Question and Answer session with the Captain. Someone could ask him why they changed the time to 3:00. I don't know if he would answer. Also why they could not wait 5 minutes. As far as the 5 minutes that might have to do with the tug boat and weather conditions. Bermuda port authorities might have said you have to leave now and not wait. They might have wanted to get the boat away from the dock. Heritage Wharf is known to be funky.

Whatever the reason though they did not wait 5 minutes I still don't blame NCL. At 3:00 the 2 girls were already 30 minutes late. The 2 girls are at fault.

:confused: How do you know Mom would only be gone 5 minutes??

And at this point, aren't there already 30 minutes late, as all aboard is 30 minutes before departure time? So you are saying wait 35 minutes. What about 40 minutes, 45 minutes? At what point is to acceptable to leave people? Or should a boat just hang out forever until everyone is on board???

Maybe cuz of the fact the mom retrieved the kids, lined up a ride,, loaded em into the tug and sailed out to the ship in a 1/2 hour :rolleyes:

Maybe cuz of the fact the mom retrieved the kids, lined up a ride,, loaded em into the tug and sailed out to the ship in a 1/2 hour :rolleyes:

Yes but when she got off the boat to retrieve them there was no way to predict how long it would take her to get them and get back.

And a previous poster said the tug pulled up at 4:34, so that doesn't quite sound like 30 minutes to me.

Edited by karen_cpa

4 minutes, 14 minutes, 40 minutes????

Doesn't matter..........when your late your late........end of story

As I recall NCL has a Question and Answer session with the Captain. Someone could ask him why they changed the time to 3:00. I don't know if he would answer. Also why they could not wait 5 minutes. As far as the 5 minutes that might have to do with the tug boat and weather conditions. Bermuda port authorities might have said you have to leave now and not wait. They might have wanted to get the boat away from the dock. Heritage Wharf is known to be funky.

Whatever the reason though they did not wait 5 minutes I still don't blame NCL. At 3:00 the 2 girls were already 30 minutes late. The 2 girls are at fault.

I'M not sayin the guests ain't at fault too this week and last week . But this is not the way thing were handled in the past. Heres hoping one of those pink busses don't get a flat at the wrong time.

Edited by biker@sea

I'M not sayin the guests ain't at fault too this week and last week . But this is not the way thing were handled in the past...

Excuse me, but once someone is late by the 15 minutes after the time they were suppose to be here - You can pretty much leave them behind, which is what happen. I'm going to take the word of the Port Bermuda dockmaster at face value...

I'M not sayin the guests ain't at fault too this week and last week . But this is not the way thing were handled in the past...

You know I have posted that NCL changing the time to 3:00 pm midway thru the season and after bookings were made with the 5:00 time was not customer friendly. People had to change their plans of what they were going to do that day. I posted that on the Bermuda board before this incident. And I am not a fan of NCL. But I am still not going to fault NCL on this at all. There was already a 30 minute grace period after the all aboard time. And I am not going to second guess why they could not do any more delay.

It boggles the mind that they were a few hundred feet away from the ship and oblivious. That big honking ship dominates the area where they were.

I'M not sayin the guests ain't at fault too this week and last week . But this is not the way thing were handled in the past. Heres hoping one of those pink busses don't get a flat at the wrong time.
Did NCL know where the young ladies were? Did the mother know where they were at? If not, how did NCL or their mother know if it would take 5 minutes or 1 hour to find them. Should NCL just wait for every passenger who decides not to be back to the ship on time? If one is late, they are late and NCL should not have to wait for them, it is not like NCL keeps the boarding time a secret....there are signs, they have announcements and it is in the daily newspaper.

Why didn't the Mom call them on a cell phone? I have yet to see 20ish kids w/o a cell phone attached to them. Saying that I don't go anywhere w/o my cell phone. We always program in emergency numbers in our cell phones when we visit ports.

Fine... unless the girls were tipsy... in the bar.... with loud music.... phones in the bag...or still on airplane mode...

A text would work. Something doesn't add up. Why would Mom wait until the last moment? I would be sending texts and calling non stop. If she knew where they were she could have called the bar. I'm sure the ship would have helped if it prevented leaving passengers or being late.

Taking a 2/3pm flight from Hamilton with a layover will get them to JFK tonight around 7/8pm. For about $400. Each.

Ouch.

Might not be that easy. My wife and I were on them same boat. If 1 of the 3 didn't have their passport on them ( you had to have your ncl room key and a form of picture I.d. to get back on the boat I.e. drivers license) then the threesome may have some serious problems. My wife and i were notified at check in in NYC that since we didn't have passports, if we missed the boat out of Bermuda, we would not be allowed back into the country via air. Here's to hoping that mom and daughters had passports, credit cards and a change of clothes. Otherwise they may have to wait till next weds when breakaway returns.

The funny thing is that at 2:50 pm they announced over the ship PA system that 10 people were missing, and called there names out over the PA. I guess mom thought going to get them was better than calling them via phone ( international rates may apply).

My wife and I did crystal caves weds and shopping in Hamilton thursday. There was no way that we were getting off the Breakaway Friday.

What worse is that Calico Jacks was less than 50 yards from the Breakaway. Those girls defiantly had a party that they, nor mom, will ever forget. I hope they have arrived safely in NYC by now!

Edited by Champster

Did NCL know where the young ladies were? Did the mother know where they were at? If not, how did NCL or their mother know if it would take 5 minutes or 1 hour to find them. Should NCL just wait for every passenger who decides not to be back to the ship on time? If one is late, they are late and NCL should not have to wait for them, it is not like NCL keeps the boarding time a secret....there are signs, they have announcements and it is in the daily newspaper.

It has been posted a few times on this thread that the signs were not at the gangway. Are you still disputing the posts of those who were on the cruise ??

Excuse me, but once someone is late by the 15 minutes after the time they were suppose to be here - You can pretty much leave them behind, which is what happen. I'm going to take the word of the Port Bermuda dockmaster at face value...

Wait! What, you talked to the dockmaster?? What did he say? What's his take on Bermuda loosing 8,000 man hours of vacationers spending per week?

Edited by biker@sea

Ha! Don't bring that up now. We will have to get into a new heated topic, but I do think the mother should get the points, but the daughters should get negative points for being stupid.

I second that!!! I would say if they go on another cruise and don't miss the ship they can get 1/2 their points back- kind of like probationary period or something.

If you google "city noise ordinances re cruise ships", you may find that my statement is correct.l

I did just google your terms, and I've found several lawsuits relative to noises coming from cruise ships - but none of those complaints actually list use of the ship's whistle/horn when you get into the actual legalese. That's because a port city legally cannot restrict a seagoing vessel from using them. Use of the whistle is required by international law and by US law (the US has an inland version of the International Rules of the Road, but the requirements are nearly the same and they only apply within US territorial waters, which is 12 nautical miles out).

Bermuda, incidentally, does not have a tailored version of the Rules of the Road/COLREGs and operates its ports under the International Rules. Thus, ships are required to use their whistle. The same thing goes for any city ordinances against noise in any country in the world, unless their inland rules are different (which I have never heard of, and I have navigated ships in and out of harbors of at least 20 different countries). Noise ordinances can't trump national or international law.

Also, cruise ship mariners are some of the most professional and knowledgeable in the business. Breaking the Rules of the Road is a great way to lose your license, and that's the last thing any of them want to do. They'll sound that whistle as required by law and let any unhappy cities call corporate.

It is after all Freestyle Cruising. Just get back to the ship when you can. We will not leave until everyone is on board.

I know mothers can be pretty ferocious when it come to their kids. She apparently knew where they were. just wondering if guest services would have a Bermuda telephone book and a land line. A call to Calico Jack's might have sped up the process and negated the need for Mom to get off the ship

Because the dockmaster is one of webmasters, if you had bother to read the other earlier posts that state who he is.

Actually Willy Freeman who was posting the updates is neither the Dockmaster nor the webmaster. He is a line handler....

It is after all Freestyle Cruising. Just get back to the ship when you can. We will not leave until everyone is on board.

I know mothers can be pretty ferocious when it come to their kids. She apparently knew where they were. just wondering if guest services would have a Bermuda telephone book and a land line. A call to Calico Jack's might have sped up the process and negated the need for Mom to get off the ship

Calico Jacks is a boat. It is tied to a dock. It actually moves sometimes to other locations in Bermuda. Doubt they have a landline....

Edited by Charles4515