Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

This is where they became in their 20's :)

Haha! Thank you! See what happens when you cut 'n paste without reading thoroughly?

So they have simply went from being "in their 20's" to exactly 20 years old in many of these posts. That makes more sense. I think.

Haha! Thank you! See what happens when you cut 'n paste without reading thoroughly?

So they have simply went from being "in their 20's" to exactly 20 years old in many of these posts. That makes more sense. I think.

Exactly. I think they are 27.5 and 29. LOL

Ok I'll make it simple

Only an IDIOT parent leaves their vulnerable young daughters abandoned in a foreign country especially if that parent has a choice and can get off the ship also

Key words .......young....vulnerable...drunk....foreign country ....can get off ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well maybe parents who have vulnerable young drunk daughters shouldn't allow them to be unsupervised in a foreign port in the first place. [emoji15]

I am sorry but I fail to see why the mother should 'parent' adults. They are adults and should be able to look after themselves. If they can't then presumably the mother didn't 'parent' them when they were children (under 18) and is at fault now. They should have common sense, be able to tell time, to know when to stop drinking etc. They clearly don't or cba. Yes it is good of the mother to have gotten off the ship to be with them, but it is not a parental responsibility to have done so as they are not young children anymore. They are adults who should look after themselves. A parent who chooses not to is not to is not an 'idiot' parent. They just take a different approach to you as to how their adult children will learn from their mistake. As I have said I can completely see why the mother chose to get off this ship, and I am sure she will make sure they learn there lesson another way (such as having to pay the expenses for themselves and their mother) but legally she is no longer responsible for them. And I don't think there is a moral argument there either. It is not morally wrong to expect your adult children (if raised right) to be able to handle situations themselves. The only moral argument would be if she didn't raise them right, then she is morally responsible for the mess they have gotten themselves into. If she raised them right and they still cocked up, well then leave them learn from it. They are no more vulnerable than anyone else who misses the ship, yes the alcohol makes them more vulnerable, but they as ADULTS chose to drink it, and however much they drank, and as ADULTS must deal with the consequences. I don't think that the mother should be babying adults. They will never learn that way and will never be able to stand on their own two feet. Their parents won't be around for ever.

Exactly. I think they are 27.5 and 29. LOL

LOL! Well regardless, I still hope they pull out the, "It wasn't my fault! My mama raised me wrong!" excuse instead of taking responsibility. I want to see that in an interview. :D

Well maybe parents who have vulnerable young drunk daughters shouldn't allow them to be unsupervised in a foreign port in the first place. [emoji15]

A very interesting point :D;)

Hopefully they have passports so they aren't further delayed.

Have seen folks 'left behind' in St. Thomas. Their passports were, some how, given to the port agent...but...think about it...'stranded' in Bermuda. Not sure if it gets any better than that. There are worse places to be left...

A very interesting point :D;)

Another point to consider...

Being that they rely so heavily on the tourists, and in the interest of customer service, why aren't these bars (especially those near the pier) making a "hey...it's 2 o'clock...time to leave and get back to your ship" announcement??

Last day in port. Wouldn't you think that momma would have at least mentioned in passing that the girls needed to watch the time and be back by 2:30, or what ever time it was?

We used to ski a lot and we would tell our 14 year old what time he needed to meet us. Sure enough, he would coming rolling in almost to the minute of the said time.

Personally, we don't feel joyful watching pier runners left or stranded behind - no matter what they did or didn't do to deserve it or earned the expensive lessons, especially if they traveled without their passports, etc.

On practically all of our NCL sailings, where the cruise passengers were late returning to the ship & missed the all abroad calls (and, all over the ship's PA system) 30 minutes prior - typical wait time for delaying departure & pulling the gangway up is 10 to 15 minutes. St. Thomas, USVI was once closer to 20 minutes - we're docked at the far end of the long pier.

Arrival at the next port was never an issue, when we're on the POA a few years ago, we remained docked for 3.5 hours at the Honolulu pier, finished dinner onboard the MDR & lots of folks on the outdoor decks & balconies, etc. watching the show. We sailed at 10:30 PM and made it just fine on our first port stop at 7 AM the next morning without full speed "all ahead" as the distance needed to travel wasn't far. The differece was that more than a busload full of inbound passengers booked on "NCL Air" were delayed with their mainland flights out of the West Coast, they knew and/or were advised and held the ship - Captain / CD onboard made the announcement & informed all guests about it.

Many of you watched the marinetraffic & harbor webcam sites, etc. - and I' m sure some of you noticed that with this new 3 PM departure time from Dockyard - the ship has been arriving super early just outside of the NY harbour - even earlier than before. It used to be that the BA would quetly slip thru the (former) Ambrose Light & shipping channel with Long Island & Jersey lights in sight by 4 AM and passing the Statue of Liberty by 6 AM (5:45 AM for us this March ... I actually went back to sleep for another hour) and up the Hudson River already. This morning, she was outside the channel at 2 AM - for another perfect on-time, early arrival.

I wonder if UBP for the 2 young adults who missed the ship would've helped as they could still be partying into this morning. :eek:

Another point to consider...

Being that they rely so heavily on the tourists, and in the interest of customer service, why aren't these bars (especially those near the pier) making a "hey...it's 2 o'clock...time to leave and get back to your ship" announcement??

No, not their job, mon, it's called personal responsibility.

Do they need to make announcements on the beach, in stores, and anywhere else people may be lingering?

No, not their job, mon, it's called personal responsibility.

Do they need to make announcements on the beach, in stores, and anywhere else people may be lingering?

Do they need to? No.

Would it be good customer service? Yes.

Did you miss the point of the quoted topic? Obviously.

There is quite a ridiculous amount of supposition here. We have all made mistakes. My dad raised my sister and I to be very independent. My sister was out of the house at 18 and on her own. I was married at 20 with my first child at 22. Did we make mistakes? You better believe (more than I care to admit). To call the mother an idiot parent is pushing it. I have a 25 yo daughter and had she been in the same situation, I would've absolutely gotten off the ship. It's called being there for your child, not helicopter parenting (had to look that one up).

As I said to start, rarely is anything black and white. We are getting info off a facebook post and an island newspaper article that is trying to make it sound like they were deserted on some uninhabited island. They made a mistake, albeit a rather costly one, but no less a mistake. If you have never made a bone-head mistake in your life, then you have every right to cast blame.

Do they need to? No.

Would it be good customer service? Yes.

Did you miss the point of the quoted topic? Obviously.

Nope, didn't miss it.

No, they don't need to. Would be good customer service? Maybe, but where does good customer service end? Is that announcement for only bars? People have missed ships when they were doing other things. Like I said, announcements at the beaches, in stores, etc. where does it end?

I'm curious about the next steps since everything was left in their cabin. Would they have shown up at the port in NYC at 6 AM today and ask to be let on to pack their cabin up or does their room steward get to do that fun task for them?

Likely they would pack it up for them and they would pick it up in the terminal. I doubt they would leave it in the cabin. They can't assume they would show up at the port. That is assuming there were no other family members who stayed onboard.

Nope, didn't miss it.

No, they don't need to. Would be good customer service? Maybe, but where does good customer service end? Is that announcement for only bars? People have missed ships when they were doing other things. Like I said, announcements at the beaches, in stores, etc. where does it end?

You ask the same questions...clearly you missed the point.

Perhaps a sarcasm sign would help?

I think the problem is people watch too much Nancy Grace/CNN and completely lose the ability to realistically assess risk.

Foreign port, guys!

Probably safer in Bermuda than in most American cities, or on many American college campuses, even in what is perceived as a lovely safe area. Read John Krakauer's Missoula for reference.

I was "stranded" in San Juan-through weather related delays, while I was moving to the Virgin Islands at the age of 24. I could cope because my parents taught me coping skills, and I learned to correct & contain the damage from any mistakes or accidents. I'm sure mom wished she was there to help, but she also knew I could manage.

Pay attention to your surroundings, especially in strange areas. Yes, we've all been young & stupid, but there are bad guys everywhere. Why make it easy for them by drinking to excess. Again, I think this has the potential for being a rather cheap lesson for the young ladies.

Girls were probably the product of over-parenting. I know 18 year olds who backpacked through Europe back before cell phones. When dd19 was 16, she was flying alone, and her flight was canceled, so she rebooked. At 17, her solo four hour bus trip took eight hours after the bus broke down on the side of the highway. At 18, she found herself stuck outside a closed subway station at 6 am during a blizzard, with no way to get to her bus to get to her college classes five hours away (thank you Uber). I didn't even know about the situation until she was safely back at college.

Honestly, I don't know what I would've done, as a parent. It sure was nice of their mom to get off the ship, but not necessary.

Just off the Breakaway today. Here are a few points. I did NOT see any sign indicating boarding time on Friday for passengers and crew. I commented to my husband about it and we specifically looked around for it. I always double check the time on the sign and make sure my watch has the correct time every time I disembark. I was very surprised more people didn't miss the ship. I've been on many NCL cruises and the sign was always there. My DH laughed and said maybe they didn't print one with the new times yet. There were two gangways so maybe there was a sign at one exit but not the other?

They announced the 3 names a little before 3. Another passenger told me that the mother was on the ship. She was given a choice to stay or had 5 minutes to grab what she could and leave the ship to wait for her daughters. She was then seen with a small bag waiting for them. The girls appeared just as the ship was pulling away. I was told that many people were yelling "loser" to the family. I was at Spice H2o and didn't hear that. However we did yell for the runners a few minutes before.

There is quite a ridiculous amount of supposition here. We have all made mistakes. My dad raised my sister and I to be very independent. My sister was out of the house at 18 and on her own. I was married at 20 with my first child at 22. Did we make mistakes? You better believe (more than I care to admit). To call the mother an idiot parent is pushing it. I have a 25 yo daughter and had she been in the same situation, I would've absolutely gotten off the ship. It's called being there for your child, not helicopter parenting (had to look that one up).

As I said to start, rarely is anything black and white. We are getting info off a facebook post and an island newspaper article that is trying to make it sound like they were deserted on some uninhabited island. They made a mistake, albeit a rather costly one, but no less a mistake. If you have never made a bone-head mistake in your life, then you have every right to cast blame.

Well said! I would have gotten off the ship too to wait for my kids. There would have been a lot of screaming and cursing but there is no way I am sailing away leaving my kids behind no matter how old they are. I would never partake in making fun or cheering those left behind for the sake of enjoyment. Someone else's misfortune should not be any one's enjoyment.