Any word on September Promo?

Into Cruising

Earlier in the spring I did see some decent 7-14 day out discounts, is it possible we could still see a few of these in isolated cases? He is assuming market-to-fill is what everyone wants, but not everyone is interested in the promos.

There is always a segment of the customer base that doesn't drink, care about eating at speciality restaurants everynight nor excursions.

He could also be giving the impression there won't be any discounts and introduce them anyway

I seriously doubt it's an isolated case... We will see with the October cruises in the Atlantic.

Bottom line is NCL would rather sail at capacity, than not at capacity. In their book $1 is better than $0.

Edited by SilentHill

^Did you read the link I shared? I wouldn't risk it.NCL has changed their approach. The last minute deep discount days are over. It came directly from the CEO. They rather attract an "affluent" crowd who would pay money upfront (and on board too). It's right in the trnascripts.

The cruise I booked for Early December prices were at a low about nine months out (in Feb) and has risen every month since. I booked in March and it was about $250 more than March. The cruise is now showing as 30% more than the Feb price. Only time will tell if they will stick to this method but it has worked for Disney and NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Did you read the link I shared? I wouldn't risk it.NCL has changed their approach. The last minute deep discount days are over. It came directly from the CEO. They rather attract an "affluent" crowd who would pay money upfront (and on board too). It's right in the trnascripts.

The cruise I booked for Early December prices were at a low about nine months out (in Feb) and has risen every month since. I booked in March and it was about $250 more than March. The cruise is now showing as 30% more than the Feb price. Only time will tell if they will stick to this method but it has worked for Disney and NCL.

This is sadly mostly true. I should remove the "Understanding NCL Prices and How to Get the Best Deal" from my signature, because it's more aimed at 2014 NCL than 2015 NCL.

Sadly, since 2015 arrived, and NCL went with the "include more but charge more" approach, they have also eliminated last-minute deep discounts, realizing that the bargain cruisers weren't making them much money anyway.

NCL has challenged the old-school thinking of, "Fill the ship at all costs or you are wasting money", and has done so successfully.

These new promos have been a wild success, which is why they keep repeating them over and over.

The deals are still there.

TAs are rock bottom when you factor in the benefits

(For some that like a drink it's a free cruise),

Star 13n on the all in fare+tax+UBP(inc18%) $430, Solo $535

Jade is not far behind on rate.

Epic winter prices very keen and there is evidence of dumping through TA's that are offering lower prices than NCL.

Some are at less than UBP face cost.

There are enough people that value the benefits, no need to wait for the rock bottom last couple of weeks, the discounting after final is still good enough.

With insides and studios getting the Choice till march 31st(UK) entry onto the ships is good value.

In the UK NCL do not honour any price drops. You would need to cancel lose your deposit and rebook at the prices when you originally booked!

We are doing a B2B on the Escape in January and got the UBP free, for us it is completely worth it and I would even pay for it.

We have sailed the Epic before and prices seemed comparable so I am very happy with the deal. :-)

In the UK NCL do not honour any price drops. You would need to cancel lose your deposit and rebook at the prices when you originally booked!

We are doing a B2B on the Escape in January and got the UBP free, for us it is completely worth it and I would even pay for it.

We have sailed the Epic before and prices seemed comparable so I am very happy with the deal. :-)

If you are booking within final and full payment due with prices already dropped you are close to the bottom anyway.

can always wait to see if any final drops in Germany once their final kick in at 30days.

Lock in with a US booking an make the call on where to book before final on that booking with full refund.

I must say the promotion is not that great considering what they were offering at the beginning of the year. The dinning plan is now only 4 nights on a seven night cruise and that is only available if you cruise in 2015. If you cruise in 2016, you are looking at only a $50 credit if you book an inside or an oceanview cabin.

We booked three cruises in December 2014 and January 2015 and the offers were great.

Edited by jmele999

I must say the promotion is not that great considering what they were offering at the beginning of the year. The dinning plan is now only 4 nights on a seven night cruise and that is only available if you cruise in 2015. If you cruise in 2016, you are looking at only a $50 credit if you book an inside or an oceanview cabin.

We booked three cruises in December 2014 and January 2015 and the offers were great.

UK/EU 1 choice to March 31st insides and studio. and includes the 18%.

OK the double bonus went on European trips but they added transatlantic

win some lose some.

So far I am winning.

If you are booking within final and full payment due with prices already dropped you are close to the bottom anyway.

can always wait to see if any final drops in Germany once their final kick in at 30days.

Lock in with a US booking an make the call on where to book before final on that booking with full refund.

I will look into that next time booking via the US. We booked in February 2015 for a January 2016 cruise!

That kind of passenger does not generate a lot of revenue and hence is not desirable clientele. A big part of cheap base prices is the revenue generated onboard.

That's really a very sad commentary if true. Really, unless someone spends above the base fare they are not wanted. What happened to the Freestyle cruise where you paid your fare and everything was taken care of unless you chose to spend on something extra?

Yeah I get it, the business wants to make money, but not everyone going on a cruise either wants or can afford to pay more.

I read it, but the data supports otherwise, I am looking at another October cruise this year and I haven't booked. Aside from suites, all of the prices are dropping to all time (since the sailing was listed) lows. I've been following on cruise fish.

Edited by SilentHill

I read it, but the data supports otherwise, I am looking at another October cruise this year and I haven't booked. Aside from suites, all of the prices are dropping to all time (since the sailing was listed) lows. I've been following on cruise fish.

RCL was more transparent on the "Price Integrity" policy they have, which locks in the price for most cruises at final payment time. They didn't volunteer the information but were answering specific questions from the analysts on their earnings conference call. They specified that some cruises would still offer discounts up to 10 days before sailing, but they wanted to move that "price lock" back to the final payment date for all sailings in order to avoid the irritation passengers have seeing the price go down.

NCL seems to be borrowing from RCL in this case, as RCL started with promos and higher prices early in 2014, and kept the promos all year, and eliminated most of the "last minute" sales.

I hope it is successful. I would rather know that the earlier I book, the better price I get than worry that I'm not getting the best price because I didn't know some secret handshake.

Prices all went down on the OCT cruises I only paid $300 to upgrade to a balcony when I booked it was $700 more. Also I spoke with the up sale group they said the new rules are they will offer up sales two weeks prior to cruise date.

RCL was more transparent on the "Price Integrity" policy they have, which locks in the price for most cruises at final payment time. They didn't volunteer the information but were answering specific questions from the analysts on their earnings conference call. They specified that some cruises would still offer discounts up to 10 days before sailing, but they wanted to move that "price lock" back to the final payment date for all sailings in order to avoid the irritation passengers have seeing the price go down.

NCL seems to be borrowing from RCL in this case, as RCL started with promos and higher prices early in 2014, and kept the promos all year, and eliminated most of the "last minute" sales.

I hope it is successful. I would rather know that the earlier I book, the better price I get than worry that I'm not getting the best price because I didn't know some secret handshake.

You are always going to have some sort of last minute sale as long as there are open cabins, however my guess is that the sales won't be so drastic. October for NYC cruises has always been a last minute deal haven. School is back in session, at the peak of hurricane season. Last year we scored a B1 aft balcony (booked gty) for s549 pp, i don't expect to see that again this year but I do expect something in between that and the current 9xx pp for balcony cabins.

Nothing happened to it. But people should not expect to be able to get it for $30pppd anymore.

But that's my point exactly. All too many years the brand was marked as pay one price and you will have a great time even if you don't spend another dime. If you want extra then you can indulge yourself in extras.

This model was defended by the cheerleaders with the all too often, I don''t eat lobster or drink alcohol or fill in the blank, so why should I subsidize it by paying a higher fare. Fast forward to today and the "free Perks" like UDP or UBP are ok to to be subsidized by those that don't use it or even worse by those that don't qualify because they are not in a balcony or some other restriction.

This is not your father's NCL, to steal a marketing phrase, and I'm not sure its going to play out well for the brand. I mean, look at the current offers, wifi, excursion credits, and no UDP and UBP in 2016. Coupled with higher base fares.

. I mean, look at the current offers, wifi, excursion credits, and no UDP and UBP in 2016. Coupled with higher base fares.

UBP and UDP available to end March 2016 in UK and EU.

The next choice change due end sept not looking good for the premium choice if it goes the way the US has

We shall see if they drop UBP from the epic cruises they will have to do something with the prices.

Currently around $60-$70ppd including tax and UBP, if you like a drink the cruise is almost free well under the $30pppd.

You are always going to have some sort of last minute sale as long as there are open cabins, however my guess is that the sales won't be so drastic. October for NYC cruises has always been a last minute deal haven. School is back in session, at the peak of hurricane season. Last year we scored a B1 aft balcony (booked gty) for s549 pp, i don't expect to see that again this year but I do expect something in between that and the current 9xx pp for balcony cabins.

I saw that last year- I went from a Studio (booked 8 months in advance for 545, and moved into a balcony at 785), had I waited (did 10 days in advance upgrade, to 7 days) I would have had 549 for a GTY or like 585 for a BA Balcony.

This was mid- October.

I am wondering if this will happen again as September does not have significant drops

I saw that last year- I went from a Studio (booked 8 months in advance for 545, and moved into a balcony at 785), had I waited (did 10 days in advance upgrade, to 7 days) I would have had 549 for a GTY or like 585 for a BA Balcony.

This was mid- October.

I am wondering if this will happen again as September does not have significant drops

September usually doesn't have the drops that October does, don't know why though.