Within walking distance of Royal Naval Dockyard

cruiseelady

I am curious is there anything there to do at the Royal Naval Dockyard, any gardens, zoos, anything that has to do with animals or nature? Basically I am just looking for something that is walking distance(45 minutes one way) from where we will dock? Also is there a place to have some food that is inexpensive but very good also within walking distance?

Thanks

I am curious is there anything there to do at the Royal Naval Dockyard, any gardens, zoos, anything that has to do with animals or nature? Basically I am just looking for something that is walking distance(45 minutes one way) from where we will dock? Also is there a place to have some food that is inexpensive but very good also within walking distance?

Thanks

Roads in Bermuda are Not for walking. Public transportation (bus/ferry system) is clean and safe.

Edited by biker@sea

Thanks

There is a Dolphin Encounter at the Dockyard located inside the grounds of the Maritime Museum. You can see the Dolphins without signing up for the encounter. As far as nature the whole Island of Bermuda is nature. But as others have said the island is not set up for walking. Narrow roads and no sidewalks. You pretty much have to take some kind of transport. There is a zoo and aquarium but you can't walk there.

Edited by Charles4515

The Frog and Onion Pub is at one end of the victualling yark within the Dockyard complex. A great British pub atmosphere with food and drinks available. Don't forget to try a Rum Swizzle, the traditional cocktail of Bermuda. You can also walk about a mile to Black Bay which is SW of the docks. There is a neat sea glass beach there. You won't see any signs or directions. Suggest looking at high detail internet map or search in this forum for already posted walking directions.

Edited by GoldenDomer
Directions error

You can walk to Snorkel Park. I have to say they have cleaned it up immensely since I was there last. Hardly any broken shells or glass you can walk into water without water shoes. If you walk to snorkel park bring some cereal from the ship. The fish will practically eat the cereal from your hand. I brought a mask and snorkel from home, you don't even need it to see the fish, there are that many. You only have to walk to waist high water to do this.

• 7 months later...
You can walk to Snorkel Park. I have to say they have cleaned it up immensely since I was there last. Hardly any broken shells or glass you can walk into water without water shoes. If you walk to snorkel park bring some cereal from the ship. The fish will practically eat the cereal from your hand. I brought a mask and snorkel from home, you don't even need it to see the fish, there are that many. You only have to walk to waist high water to do this.

Would this be a good place to take little children (6&4) to feed the fish and swim? Is it within the Dockyard?

Thanks!

Would this be a good place to take little children (6&4) to feed the fish and swim? Is it within the Dockyard?

Thanks!

Yes, Snorkel Park is within the Dockyard. It is about a 5 -10 minute walk from the ship. Little kids would love it there. Very protected. Calm water and they can feed the fish. It is a man made beach so it is not a beautiful as Horseshoe Bay Beach. There is a fee charged to get into Snorkel Park. Last I knew it was $5 a person but it is good for all day if you save your receipt. To get to Snorkel Park, you exit the ship and walk down the dock to land. Then you head to your right, passing the entrance to the Maritime Museum. Keep walking and you will pass a small children's play area and the entrance to Snorkel Park is through the stone wall and onto the Beach. It is a very short distance from the ship.

Thanks!

If you want to see a full detailed review of Snorkel Park, there's a review listed in my below signature line. Just click on it and scroll to the correct location where it starts. There's TONS of pictures. :)

I see Victualling Yard listed on the map. What takes place there?

Nothing takes place there. There are some future plans. Retail stores. Hopefully the ugly looking roof over it will be one of those Bermuda plans that fall

Edited by Charles4515