Should Carnival notify you if your ship has been chartered?

jordanaire

If Carnival books a large group, should they tell other customers about it before the ship sails?

I just found out today that our Sept 27th cruise has a very large contingent of Gothic passengers on board. It seems as though this group does a cruise annually and its members dress in black Gothic attire, and several Goth bands play throughout the cruise. This is beginning to look like this cruise in NOT going to be the quiet, relaxing cruise that I paid good money for. I believe Carnival should have notified all of those that booked this cruise to let us know. If I had known about this group, then I probably would have rescheduled my cruise.

What would you do???

Usually a google search of the date and ship can find whatever groups may be on your cruise. For yours in particular I believe it will only be around 200 group members and they have specific rules laid out amongst their group. I wouldnt call this a charter by no means. Just a bunch of people with like interest that wanted a group rate and group entertainment on their vacation. Have an open mind and have fun.

I think the only reason they would notify you is if the ENTIRE ship had been chartered.

If you think the group will be loud and obnoxious, then cancel your cruise and rebook for a similar sailing on another ship around the same time as the one you are on now. If you're going on the cruise with a preconceived notion that you're not going to enjoy it, then chances are you won't because you will probably (whether consciously or subconsciously) find every little thing to nit pick about.

I cruised on the Breeze last year in September. On that sailing there was also a large presence of Gothic passengers. Had it not been for there dress attire, you wouldn't have even noticed them. They were not loud or obnoxious or rude. There events never affected any of the normal cruise entertainment. And one of the gentlemen in the group had an awesome voice and made for some great karaoke singing. So what I'm tying to say, is that if it's the same group we encountered last year I don't think it will affect your trip any way shape or form. Happy Cruising!

Why should they notify you? They had empty cabins and you purchased without checking sail dates in gooogle. The entire ship won't be booked, so there will be venues open to the general public. I can't imagine a bunch of pasty goth people to be using the pool area :D so you might get a much coveted lounger by the pool.

Go and have fun!

Although I understand the OP's concern, Carnival cannot notify other passengers and say "you might be cruising with a group of people you might not enjoy being with". The ship is not a charter, but will have a group sailing with the same interests. When groups travel like that, they often book certain areas of a ship for their own use, thus some public areas might be closed off at times.

I would go for the experience.

You might find that your preconceived notions are completely wrong. If not, then you'll still have some fabulous stories to tell.

What happened to judge not lest you be judged?

I agree that I would still go but one possible problem.

Some years ago our cruise had a very large contingent from a southern rock association.

They took over the rear lounge for the entire cruise and we felt we did miss out on some entertainment.

Didnt ruin our cruise but did limit our entertainment.

I wouldn't mind to see how they dress on elegant night. I'm sure that will be great. This would not bother me at all. They are paying good money. It's actually a theme cruise.

Its not all about the chains and piercing that the kids seem to be attracted to. Some of you may have kids who went thru this fad shopping at hot topic with the clothing that made you think your dryer was going to blow up.

The clothing will be fancier. If it's the same cruise I just googled for that date, they will also have a wedding reception.

If Carnival books a large group, should they tell other customers about it before the ship sails?

I just found out today that our Sept 27th cruise has a very large contingent of Gothic passengers on board. It seems as though this group does a cruise annually and its members dress in black Gothic attire, and several Goth bands play throughout the cruise. This is beginning to look like this cruise in NOT going to be the quiet, relaxing cruise that I paid good money for. I believe Carnival should have notified all of those that booked this cruise to let us know. If I had known about this group, then I probably would have rescheduled my cruise.

What would you do???

I have never found a Carnival cruise to be quiet and relaxing. It is always LOUD, music, people etc. Someone please tell me where I can find one of these quiet relaxing Carnival cruises so I can book it for next time. Thanks!

I have never found a Carnival cruise to be quiet and relaxing. It is always LOUD, music, people etc. Someone please tell me where I can find one of these quiet relaxing Carnival cruises so I can book it for next time. Thanks!

They are not all loud and crazy, Pusy :cool:

A true "charter" books the entire ship, so your cruise would be cancelled....there are groups on EVERY SAILING....and 99% of the time, you'll never know there is a "group" aboard.

If you do have a large "goth" group, think about the pool...those folks don't like sun, so you should be able to get the lounger of your choice! (Glass half full, and all that!)

Edited by cb at sea

What would you do???

I haven't read any responses, but 2 years ago we were on the Gothic cruise on Freedom of the Seas. It wasn't a big deal at all. We were unaware until a week or so before we left for our cruise. It was our (then) 1 year old's first cruise and we have no complaints whatsoever about it. Actually there was some very interesting people watching, but we didn't encounter anything unruly. Just my .02 having been there, done that. :)

What would you do???

I would reschedule if you would feel uncomfortable.

One of our cruises was a "Parrothead cruise" I sure wish I would have known there were over 600 of them and they had areas of the ship booked constantly. We couldn't even enjoy the aft pool, they took it over with games and contests daily. I do enjoy Jimmy's music but this crowd was way too much!!

Edited by hockeyluver

Why should they notify you? They had empty cabins and you purchased without checking sail dates in gooogle. The entire ship won't be booked, so there will be venues open to the general public. I can't imagine a bunch of pasty goth people to be using the pool area :D so you might get a much coveted lounger by the pool.

Go and have fun!

Haha..my thoughts exactly about the pool area!

Jordonaire, Relax..Don't judge a book by it's cover. You miss out on the best stories. The roughly 4% of passengers that make up the Gothic Group will not over run your vacation. Most of the event are from 1-4am and do not compete with normal shows or public areas. Even the rooms rented are above the venues that music is played in.

If you are concerned about loud, obnoxious, unruly behavior from this group, I don't think you have much to worry about. We are adults. We have families. We have careers. We have manners. We respect others and expect the same in return. We are here to have fun, it's vacation. We worked hard for this just as much as you.

Nursepedinp & Phred119s, Hi!! I was on both of those sailings. Hope you are well!

Sauer-Kraut & jlc22043, you two are totally welcome to whatever lounger I may have had. I'll stay in the shade...under an umbrella....with sunblock SPF 100000 on. :D ....with a froo froo umbrella drink.

The picture is from Formal night 2012... Enjoy!

and Mediccruzin... ;) lol

1530891687_MasquradeBall.jpg.9cad7496b4b8e107cc4210fd7394977b.jpg

What would you do???

It would be easier for Carnival to notify those in the group that you'll be onboard. They're probably not too thrilled that you'll be onboard either.

I was on a cruise with almost 300 Red Hatters- for those not aware, that's ladies of a 'certain age' who wear red hats, purple dresses and socialize accordingly. Some members of this group were pushy, obnoxious and demanding. Scooters everywhere! If I hadn't been one of the 300 I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on THAT cruise!

Seriously we attracted a lot of attention on the cruise, but there were very few incidents. We did have one slightly inebriated Red Hatter try karaoke but it was more funny than annoying. And the one lady in a huge red hat and purple lounge suit I observed bullying people off the elevator so she could get on with her scooter was properly chastised by our organizer, and was told she wasn't welcome to cruise with us the next year.

I think most people enjoyed seeing us and we were (mostly) polite and respectful... it sounds like these Goth folks are much the same. If it's too late to change then just go with an open mind and have a great time. hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Shaded Lady

I would love to be on that cruise. We went on a cruise one year that had a large group of gothic people on it. They were super nice and I loved watching what they were going to wear in the evenings.

During the day they dressed like everyone else did. They played with their children in the pool. They were there to have a good time like the rest of us.

Go and have a great time!!

I feel the Original Poster's pain. Although I do not think 200 is necessarily a huge group, there are concerns. I had to reschedule my Jan cruise because of a group of 600+.

It is a fact that pools and lounges get pretty much taken over by the groups and in some cases you can feel like an outsider.

One cruise was drag queen themed and some parents with young Children certainly had some awkward conversation with their children when 200-300 of them were walking around the ship etc. Although I found it humorous and keep an open mind many were not pleased at all.

I learned a valuable lesson and that is to research the cruise sailing date thoroughly using google. Usually large group outings will pop up if one is scheduled. With that said, a courtesy heads up for groups of say 500 or more would sure be nice of Carnival, or any cruise line for that matter.