Recent Cruisers Experience with weather

Sea saw 56

I have been watching the 10 day forecasts for Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Hoonah. This will be our 3rd trip to Alaska. We've been in June and July. Our sailing is the last one of the season, a 10 day leaving Seattle 9/19.

The last time we were in Alaska, I packed clothes that were too heavy and wished I'd brought more summer clothes with me.

This time, looking at the way the forecasts say the weather has been behaving, it's very tempting to bring more fleece and no short sleeves. We will spend lots of time outside on the ship and in port.

For recent cruisers, was it really as wet and chilly as the forecasts have been showing? 50's for highs? I love cool, and even damp weather. I just don't like packing too many clothes for the wrong season.....and no, I am not a light packer.

Hi,

Returned Sept 4, from cruise on Millennium. Weather is turning cooler and wet.

Ketchikan was monsoon weather in the morning, but by late afternoon weather changed to partly sunny. Juneau was in the 50's and sunny. Hoonah was mist rain and cool. Skagway was cool with clouds. There is snow on the mountains, just above the treeline and the locals are saying that the weather change is three weeks earlier then normal. So, I would pack for cooler and wet weather. In Ketchikan, I purchased a heavier weather resistant coat to keep dry. Have a good trip and enjoy.

David

Was in Alaska from Aug 25-Sept 1. I wore either a light jacket or a windbreaker everyday. It rained 5 out of 7 days for me (one in Seattle). Only days it didn't rain was embarkation day & next day at sea. Although it rained a lot, the only day I took out mittens and a hat was for Tracy Arm.

We just returned. We arrived in Fairbanks Aug 17. The four days there were rainy and in the 60's. Then to Denali lodge. One nice day for hiking in the 60s and sunny. Then the day we did our TWT into Denali it was cold and wet. We did see a lot of animals but also a bit of snow at the furthest point into the park. At the McKinley lodge next it was sunny and we saw the mountain but it was still no warmer than 60. At the Kenai lodge we had sun for three days but still had light fleece jackets and our heavier outer coats on the river raft. Unfortunately then for our cruise the weather was cold and wet and in the 50s. We still got to do all our excursions but it was cold.

Just returned on the 3rd from a 15 day HAL Yukon Denali cruise. Only sunny day was on the train from Anchorage to Denali. Saw Denali fully from base to summit numerous times. We had a 70 day in Dawson City (best city on tour!). Rest of time cold and damp. Take warm clothes and scarfs and gloves.

Thank you all for your help. Here in Missouri, we really didn't have much of a summer, and leaves and vines are already starting to turn red or yellow at the edge of the woods, so when you say the season is running about 3 weeks ahead of time, I am not surprised.

I remember walking the streets of Skagway last trip feeling like we were going to melt. Actually could have gotten a tan on the balcony. But that was in July. When we booked this trip, I was hoping for "sweatshirt/football type" weather.

I believe long sleeve shirts with another layer (and a Goretex jacket), along with a scarf and gloves, will rule this time.

I'm beginning to wonder if we may even see some fall color??

Can't wait--12 more days!

Our weather seesawed back and forth.

We sailed from Vancouver on Sunday 23 August. Sunday was beautiful, as well as Monday at sea and Tuesday in Wrangell (started off with fleece tops, stripped down to T-shirts, even got a bit of sunburn from not renewing sunscreen). Wednesday at Hubbard Glacier clear but cool and misty. Sitka on Thursday morning was cool (T-shirt & fleece), and then it started raining (added the rain jacket). Steady driving (sometimes sideways) rain in Ketchikan on Friday; many excursions canceled. A pretty decent storm all day Saturday as we came down the coast (turns out Victoria port and airport were both closed on Saturday). Sunny in Victoria on Sunday; overcast and cool with a bit of rain in Astoria, OR on Monday (first rain they had seen in two months, they said). Absolutely beautiful sunny day at sea off California on Tuesday 1 Sept.

Just returned yesterday and sailed SB from Whittier on the Star Princess. The weather was the best I have ever experienced (sailed in May and very early June before).

On the train from Anchorage to Whittier the weather was cool and overcast but no rain. Whittier was bright and sunny when we arrived just after noon and we had a wonderful trip on the 26 Glacier Cruise. (temp 61)

Hubbard Glacier - overcast but still bright enough to enjoy the view (temp 58)

Glacier Bay - foggy when we entered but cleared up nicely about mid day (temp 57)

Skagway - cool and overcast but no rain and it cleared in the afternoon (temp 61)

Juneau - sunny skies and it felt warmer than 62 that was announced. We hiked the Mendenhall Glacier trails in short sleeved T's. Wonderful day!

Ketchikan - never been here when it was dry! It was 64 and sunny :) Great day for kayaking!

So, even though our forecast was dismal before we sailed - you never know. I could have used a pair of shorts on this trip :)

We we're in Alaska from August 15 to the 29. Most glorious weather ever. Temps from fifties to the seventies, except on the days when we cruised the glaciers, when we wore windbreakers over out fleeces. Beautiful sunshine almost every day, except one when it was misty with the lightest of rain.

We sailed September 2-9 and had great weather. Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway were all sunny, 65-70's. My jacket spent most of its time in my backpack on port days, especially later in the day. Our glacier sailing days saw a bit of cooler weather and a bit of rain. I wore a sweater with a rain jacket over it and a hat for those days.

I'm glad I prepared for all types of weather, because everyone kept saying how strange this warm weather is this late in the season and how lucky we were.

As you see, there's no way to be sure of the weather. We just got back on Wednesday, and had no rain in any of the ports. Ketchikan and Skagway were a bit brisk, but beautiful.

We leave tomorrow and are packing lots of layering options plus rainboots. Luckily we don't have to fly to the Port and worry so much about our bag count.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Just got off the Pearl yesterday 9/13/15. We had great weather in Juneau and Skagway, lots of misty rain in Ketchikan, and a fairly clear, yet also foggy day in Glacier Bay. Victoria had beautiful weather.

We didn't experience a lot of cold windy weather. I think I was coldest in Juneau at the Mendenhall Glacier. But even there I only needed jeans, a basic long sleeve tshirt, light weight coat (mine was mid thigh length) a scarf, and some light weight gloves. My DH only wore jeans, a shirt, and a lightweight fleece lined rain jacket. He wasn't cold at all. In fact that's all he wore the entire trip and was never once cold. His heavy coat that we packed was totally not needed and a waste of suitcase space. Same with my fleece jacket I bought to wear under my mid thigh water repellant jacket. I never needed it.

Glacier Bay day was of course chilly.

I was very thankful for bringing umbrellas. Some say they are not needed, but though my upper torso would've stayed dry with just my jacket, my pants and face would've been soaked without it. So, I do recommend a travel umbrella and most definitely a rain coat and some water proofed shoes.

We didn't see much wild life. A few Orca pods in the distance. Some seals at Creek Street in Ketchikan, and some otters playing along the shore in Skagway. Oh, and we did experience quite a bit of fog. Half of our White Pass Railway ride was in pretty dense fog, couldn't see much at all, as were a few of our days at sea. Lots of clouds everywhere, but not a lot of cold with them. High 50's mostly.

Hope you are packing some warm clothes.....depends on where you are coming from. Anchorage is 50 or so in the daytime highs, have had freezes at night in some parts of the city....North.....there have been freezes....SouthEast will probably be in the 40'2 and 50's with rain......I would check a 10 day forecast for all of the cities that you will be in. The northern lights have been spectacular if the skies clear up......and the leaves are beginning to fall here.

Thank you, Husky. We have been watching the intellicast 10 day forecasts for weeks now to try to get a handle on what to bring. The ones I have book marked are for (leaving out of) Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Hoonah. All show nice chilly weather, compared to The Midwest where we will be coming from. Falling leaves and the possibility of the northern lights sound like icing on the cake. The clothes we packed are definitely for the weather you are describing. Hoping it doesn't decide to be 70 degree + weather, or we'll be buying tee shirts!

Thank you, Husky. We have been watching the intellicast 10 day forecasts for weeks now to try to get a handle on what to bring. The ones I have book marked are for (leaving out of) Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Hoonah. All show nice chilly weather, compared to The Midwest where we will be coming from. Falling leaves and the possibility of the northern lights sound like icing on the cake. The clothes we packed are definitely for the weather you are describing. Hoping it doesn't decide to be 70 degree + weather, or we'll be buying tee shirts!

We are on the same cruise as you and we are bringing a little of everything. Seems the temps have fallen a bit but more important is all the rain in the forcast. Cool I can handle, wet and cool I dont do so well.

We have a great roll call on the roll call boards if you wish to join us

DP, this is our 3rd Alaskan cruise. I too can deal with (actually prefer) cool weather. The last time we did this, several years ago, the forecasts kept calling for wet weather, and we had sunny skies! That's the reason I started this thread, mainly wanting to see if the forecasts this time were anywhere near the actual weather that was occurring. We did buy some gortex jackets that have zip- in fleece liners the 1st time we went to Alaska. They always seem to come in handy. Enjoy your (our) cruise! Can't wait!! I will try to be ready for whatever Mother Nature has in store.......