Gala nights and other comments on Veendam Aug-Sept

3rdGenCunarder

OK, as promised, here is my report on the Gala Nights. We were on Veendam 8/29-9/5. We had two gala nights. The first one was on the Sunday when we were in Portland until 4 PM. (I had expected it to be on Monday, when we in Saint John until only 2 PM) We had early fixed dining, and I excused myself to go to the Ladies' in order to take a survey. (We were at the huge round table at the back, and I couldn't see many tables)

I think I saw 4 or 5 men without jackets. They had collared shirts and I did not see a jacket hanging on the back of the chair. All other men I saw were wearing jackets, mostly dark. I think I saw 2 tuxes. I didn't see any men trying to meet the "jacket appropriate" level by wearing a windbreaker or warm-up jacket. Women all looked nicely dressed, but I couldn't see if they were wearing long or short skirts/dresses or pants. Most of the women I saw walk by in the MDR were wearing black pants and "sparkly tops."

We went to the show and most of the people there were dressed for "gala night." I saw more tuxes and a few real gowns. Some cocktail dresses. Not many people in casual clothing. I don't know if people not dressed up thought they weren't supposed to go to the show, or maybe they weren't interested. (It was the Vegas Rat Pack production show)

Walking around the ship to kill time between dinner and the show I saw a lot of people in casual clothing. Some were pretty scruffy. I don't think they'd even bothered to comb their hair after coming in from a day in port. VERY different from what I'd seen in the MDR that night, or anywhere on previous HAL cruises.

Now, before you flame me, keep reading!!!!!

A few days later, we were talking at dinner about the dress code and how it had changed. We all liked the idea of dressing for dinner. One woman at our table (on her 10th HAL cruise) was particularly disappointed that it didn't carry through the whole ship. So we talked about what we'd seen on Gala Night 1, and I wasn't the only one who thought the level of "casual" was unusually scruffy.

BUT here's the strange thing. On the regular casual nights, we didn't see that same scruffiness. So I'm wondering if there's some kind of anti-gala backlash going on? The I-don't wanna-you-can't-make-me thing that appears more on other cruise lines? Or did the scruffy people look around at other passengers and think maybe they should have tried a bit harder?

The second Gala night was on our sea day, Thursday. I checked out the early dining and saw pretty much what I'd seen before. No more empty chairs/tables than any other night. A handful of men without jackets. A few jackets but not ties, which I hadn't noticed on Gala 1. In general, a similar level of dress in the MDR and showroom. But I didn't see the scruffy factor I'd seen on Gala 1. Yes, shorts and capris, t-shirts. But nothing looked like they'd gone hiking in their clothes. Just the usual sort of Lido-casual (as opposed to MDR-casual).

Comment on tuxes. Most of the couples in tux and gowns that I saw were part of a group that sat together in the showroom. I'd bet they were traveling together and making it a special night. DH did not bring his tux, but if we'd been with another couple, we might have agreed to "go for it."

We ate in Pinnacle on one of the casual nights and DH wore a jacket and tie. Saw only one other man in a jacket. His wife and I were more dressed up than other women I could see. Everyone was OK by dress code, but we think the Pinnacle is special and worth a little more effort.

Gala night menus are different from regular nights. Instead of the tall menu folder, you get a little square (6-in x 6-in) fold-out menu. Each page is a course and you have to choose all courses (including dessert) at the same time. Only three choices at each course and they don't offer the "always available" steak, chicken, fish option. No plain old ice cream option at dessert, either. I don't know that the offerings were that much "better" than any other night, so I don't see a gala factor going on. How is fewer choices better than more choices?

Chairs wore the covers on the first gala night, but not the second.

One other food comment is about the fruit. There was far less variety of fruit at the Lido than I've seen before. Watermelon, strawberries, canned something (apricots?) every morning. No cantaloupe, no sliced bananas in orange juice, no mixed cut-up fruit. There was a bowl with whole fruits near the juices. Everything else at breakfast was pretty much as I remember it.

We did go into Code Red about halfway through. I think it was Wednesday evening, as the Captain was doing the usual explanation of the ship's movement out of port, that he mentioned some passengers were experiencing "gastrointestinal distress," and reminded us to wash hands often.

The next morning, the Lido was in Code Red and had stopped all self-service. It was kind of funny to watch people who didn't understand what was going on. The juice server had walked away for a moment, and a man approached the counter and wanted to reach for juice, but the plastic guard was in place. He poked at it gently, I guess to see if it would swing open. He tried to gauge the opening at the top of the plastic, but it was too small to reach through. He wandered off. I don't know if he ever went back. (There was a code red sign, but I don't know if he understood it)

Hand sanitizer stations were added around the ship. At the shops, they had people by the stations reminding passengers to use them. They even wiped down the pens with Purell before asking for a signature on the sales slip.

They never said how many people were sick. I heard two rumors, seven cabins and fifteen cabins. It wasn't a massive outbreak. The Captain did say that they might have been overly cautious, but that's OK with me. MDR service was a little slower because the waiters had to hand out everything--bread and butter, salt and pepper packets, etc. Except for the minor inconvenience of standing in line to get coffee, the Lido functioned OK. Taco bar was closed, but Dive In was open. It was disappointing to have the pools off limits on our one sea day, but even if they hadn't been cordoned off and netted, I wouldn't have used them under the circumstances.

I did not hear any grumbling about the code red. Most passengers understand what has to be done. The crew worked very hard at keeping everything clean and reminding people to wash hands and use the sanitizers. They even put a bottle of Purell "Ultra" in each cabin for us to take ashore on our last port day.

Immigration in Bar Harbor was easy, although it started late. They made an announcement asking people not to get in the queue until they were called. Apparently people did as they were asked. It was supposed to begin at 7:00 and instead they called the first group (HAL tours) at 7:58. We were supposed to be the next group, so we went down around 7:10, and they called our group just as we got into the line. It was quick, we went to our cabin to get our stuff, and headed to the showroom to get tender tickets. LOTS of confusion there, as passengers didn't understand that they had to be ready to go before picking up a ticket. (It wasn't explained very well, so I can't blame them) We were called to a tender pretty quickly, and I think we stepped onto the pier in Bar Harbor no later than 8:45.

Gala night menus are different from regular nights. Instead of the tall menu folder, you get a little square (6-in x 6-in) fold-out menu. Each page is a course and you have to choose all courses (including dessert) at the same time. Only three choices at each course and they don't offer the "always available" steak, chicken, fish option. No plain old ice cream option at dessert, either. I don't know that the offerings were that much "better" than any other night, so I don't see a gala factor going on. How is fewer choices better than more choices?

Do you recall what the choices were? I can just about guarantee that even if not deliberately labeled on the menu the "always available" items would have been "always available" as it certainly wouldn't be that difficult to prepare and obviously the ship would have had the food on hand. Worst case scenario I suppose is maybe the sides would not have been prepared so you would have had to pick sides based on the items on that night's menu if they weren't meant to be selected. Same with vanilla ice cream. Highly doubt it was truly not available anywhere on the ship that night and would have simply needed to be requested.

How are fewer choices better than more choices? Here's one example. Please tell me which is better: Option 1) A steak dish, a grilled salmon dish, lamb chops. Option 2) Burger, hot dog, nachos, chow mein, pizza, tacos, spaghetti, grilled cheese, chili.

Sure the response is a bit sarcastic but I have no doubt your initial inquiry was too. Knowing more about the choices would help to know more about your experience.

Being that you have been on Cunard before among other lines I trust you know that for many of your MDR concerns one need simply ask and virtually anything is possible. :)

Do you recall what the choices were? I can just about guarantee that even if not deliberately labeled on the menu the "always available" items would have been "always available" as it certainly wouldn't be that difficult to prepare and obviously the ship would have had the food on hand. Worst case scenario I suppose is maybe the sides would not have been prepared so you would have had to pick sides based on the items on that night's menu if they weren't meant to be selected. Same with vanilla ice cream. Highly doubt it was truly not available anywhere on the ship that night and would have simply needed to be requested.

How are fewer choices better than more choices? Here's one example. Please tell me which is better: Option 1) A steak dish, a grilled salmon dish, lamb chops. Option 2) Burger, hot dog, nachos, chow mein, pizza, tacos, spaghetti, grilled cheese, chili.

Sure the response is a bit sarcastic but I have no doubt your initial inquiry was too. Knowing more about the choices would help to know more about your experience.

Being that you have been on Cunard before among other lines I trust you know that for many of your MDR concerns one need simply ask and virtually anything is possible. :)

Someone at our table asked if the "always available" main courses were available and the waiter said no, just what was on the menu. DH asked about ice cream and was told that only the three choices on the menu were available.

Being that you have been on HAL may times, I expect that you know that dinner choices in the MDR do not include hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. I don't remember all the courses, but I think the three choices on the second night were surf and turf, veal, and some kind of fish. The first gala night had rack of lamb. I think one of the other choices was tortellini (not a big step up from spaghetti on the gala-meter).

One point in favor of wider choices is that most nights offer vegetarians more options. There weren't many vegetarian options on the gala menus. Anyone who wants a vegetarian meal on gala night should probably talk to the maître d' the night before and pre-order something.

If you check posts by crew news I believe he has links in his signature to menus. They are not impressive to me. Gala night is not very gala to me.

OK, as promised, here is my report on the Gala Nights. We were on Veendam 8/29-9/5. We had two gala nights. The first one was on the Sunday when we were in Portland until 4 PM. (I had expected it to be on Monday, when we in Saint John until only 2 PM) We had early fixed dining, and I excused myself to go to the Ladies' in order to take a survey. (We were at the huge round table at the back, and I couldn't see many tables)

I think I saw 4 or 5 men without jackets. They had collared shirts and I did not see a jacket hanging on the back of the chair. All other men I saw were wearing jackets, mostly dark. I think I saw 2 tuxes. I didn't see any men trying to meet the "jacket appropriate" level by wearing a windbreaker or warm-up jacket. Women all looked nicely dressed, but I couldn't see if they were wearing long or short skirts/dresses or pants. Most of the women I saw walk by in the MDR were wearing black pants and "sparkly tops."

We went to the show and most of the people there were dressed for "gala night." I saw more tuxes and a few real gowns. Some cocktail dresses. Not many people in casual clothing. I don't know if people not dressed up thought they weren't supposed to go to the show, or maybe they weren't interested. (It was the Vegas Rat Pack production show)

Walking around the ship to kill time between dinner and the show I saw a lot of people in casual clothing. Some were pretty scruffy. I don't think they'd even bothered to comb their hair after coming in from a day in port. VERY different from what I'd seen in the MDR that night, or anywhere on previous HAL cruises.

Now, before you flame me, keep reading!!!!!

A few days later, we were talking at dinner about the dress code and how it had changed. We all liked the idea of dressing for dinner. One woman at our table (on her 10th HAL cruise) was particularly disappointed that it didn't carry through the whole ship. So we talked about what we'd seen on Gala Night 1, and I wasn't the only one who thought the level of "casual" was unusually scruffy.

BUT here's the strange thing. On the regular casual nights, we didn't see that same scruffiness. So I'm wondering if there's some kind of anti-gala backlash going on? The I-don't wanna-you-can't-make-me thing that appears more on other cruise lines? Or did the scruffy people look around at other passengers and think maybe they should have tried a bit harder?

The second Gala night was on our sea day, Thursday. I checked out the early dining and saw pretty much what I'd seen before. No more empty chairs/tables than any other night. A handful of men without jackets. A few jackets but not ties, which I hadn't noticed on Gala 1. In general, a similar level of dress in the MDR and showroom. But I didn't see the scruffy factor I'd seen on Gala 1. Yes, shorts and capris, t-shirts. But nothing looked like they'd gone hiking in their clothes. Just the usual sort of Lido-casual (as opposed to MDR-casual).

Comment on tuxes. Most of the couples in tux and gowns that I saw were part of a group that sat together in the showroom. I'd bet they were traveling together and making it a special night. DH did not bring his tux, but if we'd been with another couple, we might have agreed to "go for it."

We ate in Pinnacle on one of the casual nights and DH wore a jacket and tie. Saw only one other man in a jacket. His wife and I were more dressed up than other women I could see. Everyone was OK by dress code, but we think the Pinnacle is special and worth a little more effort.

Chairs wore the covers on the first gala night, but not the second.

One other food comment is about the fruit. There was far less variety of fruit at the Lido than I've seen before. Watermelon, strawberries, canned something (apricots?) every morning. No cantaloupe, no sliced bananas in orange juice, no mixed cut-up fruit. There was a bowl with whole fruits near the juices. Everything else at breakfast was pretty much as I remember it.

We did go into Code Red about halfway through. I think it was Wednesday evening, as the Captain was doing the usual explanation of the ship's movement out of port, that he mentioned some passengers were experiencing "gastrointestinal distress," and reminded us to wash hands often.

The next morning, the Lido was in Code Red and had stopped all self-service. It was kind of funny to watch people who didn't understand what was going on. The juice server had walked away for a moment, and a man approached the counter and wanted to reach for juice, but the plastic guard was in place. He poked at it gently, I guess to see if it would swing open. He tried to gauge the opening at the top of the plastic, but it was too small to reach through. He wandered off. I don't know if he ever went back. (There was a code red sign, but I don't know if he understood it)

Hand sanitizer stations were added around the ship. At the shops, they had people by the stations reminding passengers to use them. They even wiped down the pens with Purell before asking for a signature on the sales slip.

They never said how many people were sick. I heard two rumors, seven cabins and fifteen cabins. It wasn't a massive outbreak. The Captain did say that they might have been overly cautious, but that's OK with me. MDR service was a little slower because the waiters had to hand out everything--bread and butter, salt and pepper packets, etc. Except for the minor inconvenience of standing in line to get coffee, the Lido functioned OK. Taco bar was closed, but Dive In was open. It was disappointing to have the pools off limits on our one sea day, but even if they hadn't been cordoned off and netted, I wouldn't have used them under the circumstances.

I did not hear any grumbling about the code red. Most passengers understand what has to be done. The crew worked very hard at keeping everything clean and reminding people to wash hands and use the sanitizers. They even put a bottle of Purell "Ultra" in each cabin for us to take ashore on our last port day.

Immigration in Bar Harbor was easy, although it started late. They made an announcement asking people not to get in the queue until they were called. Apparently people did as they were asked. It was supposed to begin at 7:00 and instead they called the first group (HAL tours) at 7:58. We were supposed to be the next group, so we went down around 7:10, and they called our group just as we got into the line. It was quick, we went to our cabin to get our stuff, and headed to the showroom to get tender tickets. LOTS of confusion there, as passengers didn't understand that they had to be ready to go before picking up a ticket. (It wasn't explained very well, so I can't blame them) We were called to a tender pretty quickly, and I think we stepped onto the pier in Bar Harbor no later than 8:45.

Thank you for your review....that was very helpful.....!!

Someone at our table asked if the "always available" main courses were available and the waiter said no, just what was on the menu. DH asked about ice cream and was told that only the three choices on the menu were available.

That's surprising to hear. Thank you for the clarification

OP:

Boy, was that a fun read!!

Thanks for taking the time to hit the Ladies (so smart) and do such an exhaustive survey of your cruise. I really enjoyed your comments!

This sounds similar to what we see on some Alaska cruises. The few tuxes; the ladies often dressed better than the men; the scruffy pax; several more without jackets, though. Having Gala Night #1 on a 4 pm departure may have had something to do with the difference between it and Gala Night #2.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for a wonderful review and comments about gala night dress.

I am always sorry to read a ship goes into Code Red but as you say, have to do what is necessary.

I'm very disappointed to hear how limited the gala night menus are.

I would want my 'usual' salmon? I never order surf and turf given I'm used to our wonderful New England lobsters. The few times I allow myself dessert, it's chocolate or coffee ice cream. :( Not good the stewards wouldn't bring a dish of ice cream.

Welcome back and thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for the review. I must say I'm not displeased with a more limited menu, as long as there are good choices available. This is consistent with a table d'hôte approach. The few choices mentioned sounded quite good for the most part, although I'm not keen on the idea of pasta as a gala night offering.

It will be interesting to see how our experience next week on the Maasdam compares.

Thanks for a wonderful review and comments about gala night dress.

I am always sorry to read a ship goes into Code Red but as you say, have to do what is necessary.

I'm very disappointed to hear how limited the gala night menus are.

I would want my 'usual' salmon? I never order surf and turf given I'm used to our wonderful New England lobsters. The few times I allow myself dessert, it's chocolate or coffee ice cream. :( Not good the stewards wouldn't bring a dish of ice cream.

Welcome back and thanks for sharing with us.

I hear ya about the lobsters, although the lobster tail I had on gala night was pretty good.

I don't remember a lot of the evening meal choices. I usually write what we had for dinner in my journal, but I didn't this time. I was more focused on lunch ashore--my goal was to have lobster of some sort, mainly lobster roll, in every port. Only missed it in Sydney. I bought a lobster roll in the market in Saint John, and took it back onto the ship to have a late lunch on our balcony. Also bought delicious Nova Scotia strawberries in the market. Nothing like "brown bagging" lunch onto the ship!

I think they went to Code Red faster than absolutely required. But it kept the Noro from spreading, and that's worth a little inconvenience.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Thanks for the review. I must say I'm not displeased with a more limited menu, as long as there are good choices available. This is consistent with a table d'hôte approach. The few choices mentioned sounded quite good for the most part, although I'm not keen on the idea of pasta as a gala night offering.

It will be interesting to see how our experience next week on the Maasdam compares.

The problem with so few choices is what one person calls a 'good choice' another may not care for or actually be allergic to. Three choices is too few for a cruise ship feeding 1,250 or more people.

I never order rack of lamb, surf and turf, prime rib .....

I do like apricot stuffed quail, dover sole, calves liver.... they all used to be served by HAL but don't seem to be anymore.

Edited by sail7seas

The problem with so few choices is what one person calls a 'good choice' another may not care for or actually be allergic to. Three choices is too few for a cruise ship feeding 1,250 or more people.

I do like apricot stuffed quail, dover sole, calves liver.... they all used to be served by HAL but don't seem to be anymore.

They did have quail on the menu one night. Nobody at our table ordered it, so I have no "review" of that meal. No dover sole, alas. That's something I really like.

Forgot to mention, the menu at the Mariner lunch was different from our previous experiences. They tried to make it fit the theme of the cruise. I didn't like either starter. I think one was clam chowder, which I don't like. Don't remember the other (but it wasn't anything lobster). The main courses were Atlantic char and roast beef with "poutine fries." I ordered that, and was relieved to see that the fries were not really poutine. (fries with cheese curds and gravy) They were ordinary fries with a bit of parmesan cheese grated onto them. MUCH more to my taste than poutine, which I find too heavy. Lunch portions were HUGE.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

A camera that's capable of shooting panoramic photos is invaluable when making plumage surveys of the native species in the MDR. Pick a spot in the middle of the room. Depress the shutter button while turning slowly in a circle. Later, you can look at the photo on a big screen to make your counts. You'll probably have to lighten the photo to see more - but by not using a flash, you won't spook the local fauna.

Note: Do not try sitting on the floor and taking the panoramic picture. While it may help you to determine long skirt / short skirt / pants percentages, there's a good chance that someone will call security.

Great bit of research! ;-)

We got off the Veendam on the 29th after a fabulous Voyage of the Vikings, and I will say we had delicious cantaloup, honeydew, as well as some various berries most mornings. Probably the produce wasn't great when they restocked in Boston the 29th.

The "alternatives" ARE available in the MDR...chicken, salmon, and some vegetarian item...right side of menu if I recall it says something.

Too bad about the Code Red...we just left the Cruise Crud for you, no Noro ;-)

Still coughing...

We had Dover Sole and Calves Liver on the Zuiderdam in the Med in April/May. Both were delicious.

Great bit of research! ;-)

We got off the Veendam on the 29th after a fabulous Voyage of the Vikings, and I will say we had delicious cantaloup, honeydew, as well as some various berries most mornings. Probably the produce wasn't great when they restocked in Boston the 29th.

The "alternatives" ARE available in the MDR...chicken, salmon, and some vegetarian item...right side of menu if I recall it says something.

Too bad about the Code Red...we just left the Cruise Crud for you, no Noro ;-)

Still coughing...

I didn't observe anyone coughing. I had the Cunard Cough this summer, so I know what you mean. It lingers.

The alternative items were available on regular evenings. But they weren't on the special "gala" menu.

A camera that's capable of shooting panoramic photos is invaluable when making plumage surveys of the native species in the MDR. Pick a spot in the middle of the room. Depress the shutter button while turning slowly in a circle. Later, you can look at the photo on a big screen to make your counts. You'll probably have to lighten the photo to see more - but by not using a flash, you won't spook the local fauna.

Note: Do not try sitting on the floor and taking the panoramic picture. While it may help you to determine long skirt / short skirt / pants percentages, there's a good chance that someone will call security.

My camera will do the panorama function, but I'm not sure what setting is required. Anyway, I was trying to be subtle (my camera is kind of big). Maybe if we'd had a table by the railing, I could have crawled under that and used the tablecloth as a sort of bird blind. As it was, I strolled away from our table along one side and back along the other side. I think I managed to make my observations without being intrusive--I didn't see any of the tie-less men tugging nervously at their collars.

We had Dover Sole and Calves Liver on the Zuiderdam in the Med in April/May. Both were delicious.

ditto for us on both the Westerdam & Prinsendam sailings. DH always gets the Calves Liver ;)