Gala nights and other comments on Veendam Aug-Sept

3rdGenCunarder

There was no Dover sole on either the Noordam in April or the Veendam in May. I've done a little research and here are the choices of 7 days cruises for gala nights. It might not match what everyone sees.

Gala night one

Cracked pepper tenderloin with grilled shrimp

Rack of lamb

Yellowfin sole

Cracked ricotta stuffed shells

Gala night two

Surf and turf

Basil crusted veal rack

Pan seared artic char

Cheese tortellini

I know many people will not believe this, but the Calves liver on HAL has been very good and I look forward to it.

I agree 100%. This is one thing that HAL does very well :)

There was no Dover sole on either the Noordam in April or the Veendam in May. I've done a little research and here are the choices of 7 days cruises for gala nights. It might not match what everyone sees.

Gala night one

Rack of lamb

Yellowfin sole

Gala night two

Surf and turf

Basil crusted veal rack

Pan seared artic char

Cheese tortellini

Interesting. There is definitely a difference on the 7 day cruises versus the longer ones.

I agree 100%. This is one thing that HAL does very well :)

Interesting. There is definitely a difference on the 7 day cruises versus the longer ones.

For sure. I remember way more choices on my April 2014 Panama cruise. I take more b2b now and it's a different kettle of fish. The Noordam was 11 days and I don't recall it being any better than the 7 days.

Gala night one

Rack of lamb

Yellowfin sole

Gala night two

Surf and turf

Basil crusted veal rack

Pan seared artic char

Cheese tortellini

Thanks, Cruz Chic

I know many people will not believe this, but the Calves liver on HAL has been very good and I look forward to it.

I certainly do not believe that. There is no such thing as delicious liver. In fact, there is no such thing as edible liver. It should only be served to cats. My wife likes it thought.

Edited by RocketMan275

I certainly do not believe that. There is no such thing as delicious liver. In fact, there is no such thing as edible liver. It should only be served to cats. My wife likes it thought.

I agree except for liver pâté or foie gras. Call me strange but I hate liver but love pâté and foie gras.

ditto for us on both the Westerdam & Prinsendam sailings. DH always gets the Calves Liver ;)

Do they serve he Calves liver with both Onions & Bacon? That's the way I like it, as long as the bacon is well done..

Do they serve he Calves liver with both Onions & Bacon? That's the way I like it, as long as the bacon is well done..

It was served with apples and pancetta, with caramelized onions and a potato pancake on the Nieuw Amsterdam. My father in law was thrilled. Here's the menu -

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/8016d4a3-0df3-4b53-89d4-bea352f7c749/b0f32c2c1982c9ceff149a25a1e112f9

The menu is in the PDF attached to the Evernote note. That's how I was able to search "Calves Liver" on my phone and find it. (It's like I'm living in the future!)

Unfortunately it was on the menu the week before we got into the food photo groove, or I'd have pictures.

Edited by POA1

I agree except for liver pâté or foie gras. Call me strange but I hate liver but love pâté and foie gras.

OK, you're strange. Liver pâté or foie gras are still liver. And, no, I don't like Beef Wellington either.

I'm often told that I have to try this or that recipe for liver because it doesn't taste like liver. Well, if you like liver, then why wouldn't you want it to taste like liver? It's the only thing I know that people seem to like it best when it tastes like something it is not.

It does make good bait for catfish though.

I'd put the "always available meals not available" not on the kitchen but on the waiter. I would put a small fortune on salmon and chicken being available, too bad your waiter didn't feel like doing his best. :(

I think you are right. We spent several weeks aboard Veendam this summer and were able to order from the "Always Available" items, although they were not listed on the menu.

Maybe the steward was not aware the "always available" items were actually available, or the steward simply could not be bothered. While we have found these instances rare, they do occur.

While we always try to give the benefit of the doubt to the steward, if we believe his information to be incorrect, we will ask to speak with someone else to confirm.

It was served with apples and pancetta, with caramelized onions and a potato pancake on the Nieuw Amsterdam. My father in law was thrilled. Here's the menu -

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/8016d4a3-0df3-4b53-89d4-bea352f7c749/b0f32c2c1982c9ceff149a25a1e112f9

The menu is in the PDF attached to the Evernote note. That's how I was able to search "Calves Liver" on my phone and find it. (It's like I'm living in the future!)

Unfortunately it was on the menu the week before we got into the food photo groove, or I'd have pictures.

Here is a photo of the dish:

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/514/Calf_s_liver.JPG

Dave

Thanks so much...Haven't had liver in a couple of years... Can't stand to handle it & cook it, but do enjoy eating it occasionally in one of our local restaurants, which serve it with lots of onions & bacon.. Just reading the menu is making me hungry now../SIZE]