Tips for breakfast room service?

Priya2

I thought room service (at least most items) were free, so not sure how 18% gets added if the cost is zero. That being said, if you've paid your cabin gratuities, I believe that should cover the tip.

However, we alway give the person who delivers the food a few bucks as a thank you. We really appreciate having breakfast on our balcony!

There are no gratuities added to complimentary room service. If our regular room steward or assistant steward deliver our room service breakfast we typically don't tip them on the spot, as we always give a generous additional tip at the end of the cruise. If it a person from the galley staff, or a different room steward that makes the delivery we will give them a few dollars as a thanks.

My understanding is that room service is not included in the paid gratuities. .

Where did you see that?

Offering an additional tip to the room service server is optional.

Just as is adding a cash tip post cruise to favorite servers and room stewards.

Room service staff are included in the daily required gratuities. Only the bar purchases have the separate gratuity.

i agree with the $5 for breakfast delivery. If i had to carry that tray with all the food, i'd want at least that much!

Our breakfast has been delivered by different people, sometimes its our cabin attendant who IS included in our gratuity payments. However it is my opinion that that gratuity covers the "normal" duties, (like cleaning the stateroom) and anything special or additional is deserving of an additional compensation. Tipping is a very touchy subject here, but the staff works very hard, the tips are their livelyhood, and i for one, won't fail to appreciate them.

We order room service every day it is available and we tip every day. In addition any time we request a special service we tip. We feel if you can't afford of few bucks you should consider a road trip. All Celebrity employees go above and beyond and really appreciate any and all tips. We have cruised with some waiters/bartenders multiple times and always tip them even if they don't serve us because we love to see the smiles on their faces when they see us returning to cruise Celebrity. It's only money and I can't take it with me.

My understanding is that room service is not included in the paid gratuities. We tip for deliveries, from two dollars for coffee and danish to $5 for a complete breakfast.

I've confirmed with Celebrity, via email, twice in the past few years that the room service staff is included in the pool which shares the standard daily gratuities. With that said many cruisers, including us, do tip a bit extra on delivery. But that is personal choice and no one should feel on obligation to do so nor should they feel they are stiffing the staff if they don't tip extra.

. We feel if you can't afford of few bucks you should consider a road trip. .

Maybe someone who can "afford" to offer a thousand dollar tip, chooses not to tip when they have room service. Their choice how they spend their money. Why try to lay some kind of guilt on them?

I never understand the feeling/argument that if one chooses not to hand above and beyond daily rate to a server, that they are beneath cruising.:o

News flash...we tip on road trips.:D

With the exception of a few items from the room service menu that have a fee, room service is free on Celebrity, regardless of the time of delivery. Unless, of course, Celebrity changed this since our July cruise. Like others, of our butler or cabin attendant delivers room service we factor that into an additional tip at the end of the cruise. If it is someone from dining services we tip when delivered.

I've confirmed with Celebrity, via email, twice in the past few years that the room service staff is included in the pool which shares the standard daily gratuities. With that said many cruisers, including us, do tip a bit extra on delivery. But that is personal choice and no one should feel on obligation to do so nor should they feel they are stiffing the staff if they don't tip extra.

Thanks for the correction. I was apparently misinformed! :) I'm not going to change my current tipping protocol. As you said, it is a personal choice!

I'm of the group that my daily automatic gratuities cover my F&B staff, wether I eat in cabin, buffet, MDR or Specialty restaurant.

Therefore I do not tip additional when room service is delivered. Honestly, the majority of deliveries I get they don't even stay long enough to accept one.

I know there are certain upgraded items for which there is a surcharge, but since when is there a charge for room service between 11pm and 6am??

To my knowledge, Celebrity has not started this policy, although other lines have.

For now (as of April/May from my last cruise) it's still no charge. If this had changed, these boards would be SCREAMING about it.

My husband and I had service jobs in our college. We always bring a stack of $1.00 bills to tip for extra service. We enjoy our cruises so much we actually enjoy sharing our joy with those who give us joy. I would recommend it.

I know there are certain upgraded items for which there is a surcharge, but since when is there a charge for room service between 11pm and 6am??

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-room-service

Edited by chewsifer1220

We ordered room service on the Summit one day. What I found tricky was ordering from the room service menu on the tv. Lol. Took a few tries, then I had to teach my family members in adjacent cabins. Here's a hint for the cheese and crackers. It's listed under desserts.

We ordered room service on the Summit one day. What I found tricky was ordering from the room service menu on the tv. Lol. Took a few tries, then I had to teach my family members in adjacent cabins. Here's a hint for the cheese and crackers. It's listed under desserts.
ooh, that's very European! My partner likes cheese and biscuits (crackers, not plain scones) to follow a meal. He has trouble obtaining it in the US and we have been told several times that its something Americans would eat before a meal!

I'm of the group that my daily automatic gratuities cover my F&B staff, wether I eat in cabin, buffet, MDR or Specialty restaurant.

Therefore I do not tip additional when room service is delivered. Honestly, the majority of deliveries I get they don't even stay long enough to accept one.

Thanks for being honest. I imagine most people who comment on this are the ones who tip. As an Aussie we prepay gratuties as we feel uncomfortable with the whole tipping process. (Not that we are mean, we do tip if we should) :)