Tips for breakfast room service?

Priya2

This is just one of those cases where the word "tradition" comes into play. For some reason it has long been the norm to tip for room service food ($2 - $5 is typical). Despite forty years of cruising experience (on a lot of lines) we have never understood the derivation of this practice, but do accept it as a norm. Accordingly, if we order room service (usually breakfast) we will had a few US dollars to the steward that delivers the food. For us the reality is that we will never miss those few dollars, and it just seems to feel right at the time.

Hank

I'm taking mine with me....:D

We order room service every day it is available and we tip every day. In addition any time we request a special service we tip. We feel if you can't afford of few bucks you should consider a road trip. All Celebrity employees go above and beyond and really appreciate any and all tips. We have cruised with some waiters/bartenders multiple times and always tip them even if they don't serve us because we love to see the smiles on their faces when they see us returning to cruise Celebrity. It's only money and I can't take it with me.

We often have cheese and crackers along with fruit like grapes with wine before dinner.....or informally even if no dinner is served

ooh, that's very European! My partner likes cheese and biscuits (crackers, not plain scones) to follow a meal. He has trouble obtaining it in the US and we have been told several times that its something Americans would eat before a meal!

Cheese and biscuits (crackers) at the start of a meal seems to be an American thing, in UK we have it at the end of a meal with port normally, saying that I have had it in high end restaurants here and it is always served at the end of the meal. It is one of the few things I do order from room service on any cruise we take. Keeping it on topic, I tip for the delivery too.:D

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

...Honestly, the majority of deliveries I get they don't even stay long enough to accept one.

This is the truth. I've found that unless you have the tip in your hand before you even open the door that the server will often be out of the cabin and on their way before you can even grab the tip money out of a drawer or your wallet.

This NOT like room service in a hotel where the server will stand there smiling at you after setting down the tray and making small talk until you present the tip.

Edited by Lsimon

There are no gratuities added to complimentary room service. If our regular room steward or assistant steward deliver our room service breakfast we typically don't tip them on the spot' date=' as we always give a generous additional tip at the end of the cruise. If it a person from the galley staff, or a different room steward that makes the delivery we will give them a few dollars as a thanks.[/quote']

We do the same. I think this is the way most passengers do it.

We use room service as our "wake up" call. Nothing better than a nice hot cup of coffee delivered at our specified time in the morning! We put the tip money on the desk before we retire at night, so it's handy when the tray is delivered to our room. :D

This is the truth. I've found that unless you have the tip in your hand before you even open the door that the server will often be out of the cabin and on their way before you can even grab the tip money out of a drawer or your wallet.

This NOT like room service in a hotel where the server will stand there smiling at you after setting down the tray and making small talk until you present the tip.

Good point! Have the bills handy or they will be gone quickly! Always a sincere smile for the tip, never a hint of disdain if you weren't ready.

I'm of the group that my daily automatic gratuities cover my F&B staff, wether I eat in cabin, buffet, MDR or Specialty restaurant.

Therefore I do not tip additional when room service is delivered. Honestly, the majority of deliveries I get they don't even stay long enough to accept one.

Room service personnel do not receive money from your tips, that is just totally false, I would hate to see them get screwed out of tips because of a false comment. I realize you didn't actually say that but the implication is there.

The old manner in tipping room service was if it was delivered by your attendant or butler no tip is required and you can adjust it at the end. If not a tip would be appropriate.

Tipping is really so simple, I don't know why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

Edited by dkjretired

Room service personnel do not receive money from your tips, that is just totally false, I would hate to see them get screwed out of tips because of a false comment. I realize you didn't actually say that but the implication is there.

The old manner in tipping room service was if it was delivered by your attendant or butler no tip is required and you can adjust it at the end. If not a tip would be appropriate.

Tipping is really so simple, I don't know why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

People 'make a big deal out of it' because people like you on CC insist that everybody on the ship who looks at you simply must be paid extra money because of course they should.

I don't know why everyone insists they feel the need to tell other people what to do. Your customary tips are included and charged to your shipboard account. You simply do not need to tip anybody else. If a service has a customary tip, it has already been charged to your account or is charged at the time of service (spa/drinks).

I also don't see how you can maintain that it is 'absolutely false' that room service personnel do not receive tips from the mandatory tip. There's an "Alternative Service" slush fund on tips; I would be surprised if they were not compensated from that fund. We simply don't know (nor should we care) how the people on the ship are compensated. If they are unhappy, they will leave.

According to FAQ on Celebrity website:

"Room service is complimentary, although you may wish to offer a gratuity to room service staff."

So basically do whatever you like and you cannot be wrong!!

The solution is for everyone to pre-pay gratuities and enjoy the cashless environment.

People 'make a big deal out of it' because people like you on CC insist that everybody on the ship who looks at you simply must be paid extra money because of course they should.

I don't know why everyone insists they feel the need to tell other people what to do. Your customary tips are included and charged to your shipboard account. You simply do not need to tip anybody else. If a service has a customary tip, it has already been charged to your account or is charged at the time of service (spa/drinks).

I also don't see how you can maintain that it is 'absolutely false' that room service personnel do not receive tips from the mandatory tip. There's an "Alternative Service" slush fund on tips; I would be surprised if they were not compensated from that fund. We simply don't know (nor should we care) how the people on the ship are compensated. If they are unhappy, they will leave.

I have never advocated that everyone should be tipped, where you got that from is unknown but not true. Perhaps you could provide an example where I ever said that, you won't be able to but you can give it a shot. I was simply answering someone else's question. Please don't put words in my mouth.

It is absolutely false, room service personnel do not receive tips. The Alternate service goes to the head housekeeper, they actually used to list this but there were so many negative comments about it that they changed the name. You see, I was around when this happened so have a little knowledge about it.

Edited by dkjretired

We usually order room service breakfast on port days. As others have said, we have a couple of dollars sitting on the desk to hand over as the deliverer walks out the door. On many occasions we get a cheerful "see you tomorrow". By the way, breakfast has always been delivered right at the time we requested, sometimes a little early. Don't you just love having a cup of coffee 1st thing in the morning, sitting on the balcony? I feel mello just thinking about it!

So you don't tip in restaurants, hair salons or valet parking?

the " I dont tip " is clear and unambiguous. Equally I dont care or judge if others do tip.

I suppose that pedantically I do tip when i upgrade my drinks package ( the 18% thing) but i do not have a choice so have to pay.

Takes all sorts [emoji41]

the " I dont tip " is clear and unambiguous. Equally I dont care or judge if others do tip.

I suppose that pedantically I do tip when i upgrade my drinks package ( the 18% thing) but i do not have a choice so have to pay.

Takes all sorts [emoji41]

How does one tip "pedantically?" :D

How does one tip "pedantically?" :D

I meant that a pedant could argue that my assertion that I do not tip is not strictly true on the basis that my upgrade to premium alco package included an 18% 'gratuity'

As the said gratuity is compulsory I do not regard it as a tip whilst others possibly do.

My understanding is that room service is not included in the paid gratuities. We tip for deliveries, from two dollars for coffee and danish to $5 for a complete breakfast.

We always tip room service servers extra. $2 to $5 or $6, depending upon the meal and time of day.

Unlike many UKers, we personally (we are Scottish) tip generously,.

When I am ordering $$$$$$ travel currency - I order at least $100 in single dollar bills, and another few hundred in $5 bills. Then get my 10s,20s etc.

Both of us carry a little wallet (its like a business card holder) and in it, is "tip money". I see it simply as a part of our holiday budget spends.

It is handy to have those small notes at the ready. Whether its a taxi, porter, baggage handler its just nice to share the love a little...

If we are blessed enough to be able to afford luxury cruising - then being generous in the process - brings joy to others.

My life has not changed in any negative way over the years by losing the cash we have handed out - I have never missed it.

I am not rich by any manner of means., I am comfortable - I work hard - in fact, I employ people who receive tips (and yes, tipping is a declared taxable income). I pay well above national living, never mind national minimum wage - but my staff love their tips - its a nice wee perk for them and I get great joy in seeing them being rewarded extras. They give amazing service whether they receive a tip or not - and at times go way above the call of duty ...

Karma - what goes around comes around :)