Coral full transit Sept 23rd....Live? Maybe-Maybe not... Plus Photos

Colo Cruiser

Ships time 10:30 pm, slight following seas, temp 69 degrees.

Good evening from Coral Princess cruising on a southeasterly course just north-west of Baja California. Average speed 13.5 knots. It is approx. 845 miles from LA-Cabo San Lucas. We are due to arrive on Sat Sept 26th at 7:00am. We will be in port until 4:30pm.

From LAX we caught a Yellow Cab (van) for 4 of us and 6 varying size pieces of luggage at 9:45. We asked the driver if we could stop to p/u some water on the way to San Pedro. He suggested we stop at a 7-11 which we did. Typical fare is $60 and has been for several years. They do use the meter but even with us stopping was still only $65. Got 2 small cases of water and we were on our way again. Arrived in San Pedro around 10:30…….tipped the driver well for his detour. Its a beautiful day in LA with temps around 85.

Dropped off the luggage at the terminal and took our water on with us as it was pretty flimsy. The porters offered to slap a luggage tag on the water but we declined as I thought it would have been ripped apart within 5 minutes of handling. We made our way upstairs at Pier 93 and wisked right through check-in.

We found that there were only 775 boarding in LA today due to prior stops in Vancouver and San Francisco. So this was billed as a 21/19/15 day cruise. We went through security and they were ripping apart passengers carry ons etc looking for booze. They actually ripped open the cases of water and holding the bottles up to the light and shaking them over and over again looking for the tell tale signs of alcohol, whatever that may be in a water bottle.

Several minutes later they were through and we pieced together the bottles and headed to the Elite/Platinum Lounge. They were diverting preferred boarding Platinums to a sitting area just outside the lounge. I guess because there were too many Elite/Suites? Not sure. I heard one of the reps say that there were 666 in transits but that did not make sense and did not add up. But it was nice to have a quiet boarding. We boarded about 11:50 and dropped off out carry ons in the cabin then headed to the Provence DR for lunch.

The menu was the very limited embarkation lunch menu that I have been reading about on CC. The one that popped out at me was the trout instead of the salmon.

So a couple of appetizers (smoked salmon) 2 main courses trout or beef selection

and 1 dessert the almond soufflé. No salad available on the menu! Very strange indeed. No always available anything.

Finished lunch and while reading the Patter it stated that the HC is open for dinner each day from 5:30-10:00pm. Not sure what to make of that.

IC open 24 hours.

We stopped at the platinum/elite lounge held in Explorers from 5p-7p. Tonight was my fav the El Mejor Margarita ($5). Guac and chips and assorted veggies.

Another note the basic Coke package not available anymore. So as heard here on CC they are pushing the soda and more, AKA-UKP @$7 per day. With a large plastic tumbler with the curly straw. Some with a little animal on the top of the straw and some not.

Had a quick dinner in the Provence DR. Traditional early 5:15pm and late 7:30pm.

Its been a long day. Coral Princess looks outstanding.

I had major issues when I tried to post this around 4:00pm. I used my Iphone as a hotspot (AT&T) and the area signal/system was terrible. I suspect that it had a lot to due with the Crown Princess berthed right next to us and some several thousand passengers attempting to use the cell towers in the area. I did call AT&T to add a text/call/data package and they said they were having issues. I gave up.

This is posted on the ships internet, seems smooth but probably because everyones in bed.

Well heading to bed. I am beat. Like I said not promising I can do this much but I will try. It will most likely be due to bad internet here onboard if I don’t post. 2 glorious sea days ahead. :D

Keith, Thanks for the update. Regarding the separation of Platinum from Suite/Elite in San Pedro, that was the same procedure as on our cruise in February. There were maybe two dozen people in the Suite/Elite lounge area while more than 100 were in the Platinum area. Perhaps the problem is actually too many Platinum passengers. The separation of Suite/Elite from Platinum passengers has been in effect in FLL for almost three years. In both locations only the Suite/Elite get snacks and beverages [emoji33]

You appeared to have even a different embarkation lunch menu from the restricted menu on some California Coastals. That menu had limited desserts and no orange soufflé. We eat few desserts at home and starting the cruise with an orange soufflé for lunch is one of my traditions. Glad they offered the almond soufflé. Yes, your posts are just about me, me, me [emoji15]

Enjoy your cruise and all of the sea days!

Edited by IECalCruiser

Ships time 10:30 pm, slight following seas, temp 69 degrees.

Good evening from Coral Princess cruising on a southeasterly course just north-west of Baja California. Average speed 13.5 knots. It is approx. 845 miles from LA-Cabo San Lucas. We are due to arrive on Sat Sept 26th at 7:00am. We will be in port until 4:30pm.

From LAX we caught a Yellow Cab (van) for 4 of us and 6 varying size pieces of luggage at 9:45. We asked the driver if we could stop to p/u some water on the way to San Pedro. He suggested we stop at a 7-11 which we did. Typical fare is $60 and has been for several years. They do use the meter but even with us stopping was still only $65. Got 2 small cases of water and we were on our way again. Arrived in San Pedro around 10:30…….tipped the driver well for his detour. Its a beautiful day in LA with temps around 85.

Dropped off the luggage at the terminal and took our water on with us as it was pretty flimsy. The porters offered to slap a luggage tag on the water but we declined as I thought it would have been ripped apart within 5 minutes of handling. We made our way upstairs at Pier 93 and wisked right through check-in.

We found that there were only 775 boarding in LA today due to prior stops in Vancouver and San Francisco. So this was billed as a 21/19/15 day cruise. We went through security and they were ripping apart passengers carry ons etc looking for booze. They actually ripped open the cases of water and holding the bottles up to the light and shaking them over and over again looking for the tell tale signs of alcohol, whatever that may be in a water bottle.

Several minutes later they were through and we pieced together the bottles and headed to the Elite/Platinum Lounge. They were diverting preferred boarding Platinums to a sitting area just outside the lounge. I guess because there were too many Elite/Suites? Not sure. I heard one of the reps say that there were 666 in transits but that did not make sense and did not add up. But it was nice to have a quiet boarding. We boarded about 11:50 and dropped off out carry ons in the cabin then headed to the Provence DR for lunch.

The menu was the very limited embarkation lunch menu that I have been reading about on CC. The one that popped out at me was the trout instead of the salmon.

So a couple of appetizers (smoked salmon) 2 main courses trout or beef selection

and 1 dessert the almond soufflé. No salad available on the menu! Very strange indeed. No always available anything.

Finished lunch and while reading the Patter it stated that the HC is open for dinner each day from 5:30-10:00pm. Not sure what to make of that.

IC open 24 hours.

We stopped at the platinum/elite lounge held in Explorers from 5p-7p. Tonight was my fav the El Mejor Margarita ($5). Guac and chips and assorted veggies.

Another note the basic Coke package not available anymore. So as heard here on CC they are pushing the soda and more, AKA-UKP @$7 per day. With a large plastic tumbler with the curly straw. Some with a little animal on the top of the straw and some not.

Had a quick dinner in the Provence DR. Traditional early 5:15pm and late 7:30pm.

Its been a long day. Coral Princess looks outstanding.

I had major issues when I tried to post this around 4:00pm. I used my Iphone as a hotspot (AT&T) and the area signal/system was terrible. I suspect that it had a lot to due with the Crown Princess berthed right next to us and some several thousand passengers attempting to use the cell towers in the area. I did call AT&T to add a text/call/data package and they said they were having issues. I gave up.

This is posted on the ships internet, seems smooth but probably because everyones in bed.

Well heading to bed. I am beat. Like I said not promising I can do this much but I will try. It will most likely be due to bad internet here onboard if I don’t post. 2 glorious sea days ahead. :D

When my DW and I took the Star to Hawaii, while in port in SF, I tried to use my hot spot and it didn't work. While we were in Islands we didn't have any problems, I am wondering if California is the problem.

Hi all,

nice relaxing day at sea. Temp 77 with clear skies. A few chair hogs around the pool but lots of chairs available.

Have used the Princess@sea app except for the messaging.

Formal night already tonight!

later

Got your baseball cap and flip flops ready? :p

Nice review of day 1...glad you think she is in great shape. I thought so when I was on her last month....funny, on that cruise there were only a half dozen or so who went to the platinum/elite loung at night. If Arun is the chef for the loung, he makes wonderful tartar...some of the best I ever had...and Rum was one of the best bar stewards...have a wonderful time and it will be cool to compare this and the Island which we both will be on shortly...have a fabulous time....

Keith,

Glad to hear that everything is running smoothly for you. If you get a chance, see if the current bartenders at Crooners will be there when we arrive on the 18th. If they are staying on, you might want to warn them about us.:eek:

Say "Hi" to my favorite girl and we will talk later.

Edited by cruisingpeople

Nice review of day 1...glad you think she is in great shape. I thought so when I was on her last month....funny, on that cruise there were only a half dozen or so who went to the platinum/elite loung at night. If Arun is the chef for the loung, he makes wonderful tartar...some of the best I ever had...and Rum was one of the best bar stewards...have a wonderful time and it will be cool to compare this and the Island which we both will be on shortly...have a fabulous time....

Steak tartare last night! Delish!! :D

Keith,

Glad to hear that everything is running smoothly for you. If you get a chance, see if the current bartenders at Crooners will be there when we arrive on the 18th. If they are staying on, you might want to warn them about us.:eek:

Say "Hi" to my favorite girl and we will talk later.

Joe I will check it out today.

Hi everyone,

on our second sea day today and it getting warmer and warmer. Clear and 80 degrees. Its an older demographic on this cruise. Saw a couple of babies but I have not seen any other children or kids. Also only a few in their thirties. Of course I have not seen everybody.

Last night was the first of 3 formal nights. Had some formal pictures taken and then on to the P/E/S lounge in Explorers.

First night was my favorite the El Mejor Margarita, with guacamole and chips.

Last night steak tartare and the Rob Roy. I stick with the Marg each night and the $5 price tag, which is nice. Tonight smoked salmon/Chairman of the Board.

Happy hour today is in the Wheelhouse from 3p to 4p, BOGO for $1. Any drink according to Ray in Crooners.

Joe (cruisingpeople) Ray and Ariel are the bartenders in Crooners and yes they will be onboard for your cruise Oct 18th.

Well going to head to lunch. Catch ya all later. :D

Joe (cruisingpeople) Ray and Ariel are the bartenders in Crooners and yes they will be onboard for your cruise Oct 18th.

I don't believe we have been with Ray before, but Ariel is a possibly familiar name. Either way, you can advise them that their "new best friends" will keep them entertained after you leave the ship. LOL:D:)

Hey!!!!! Here we sit at Cabo Wabo inhaling margaritas under some misters cooling down. 89 and humid!! It's noon and will do a little shopping. Nothing else planned. The Crown is here with us. Tempted to Order a Can't Drive 55. May need to be dragged back onboard.:eek: Food in the DR has been fantastic . Had the lamb shank last night. Very tender. We have traditional at 7:30 with a nice able for 4 by the window. Head waiter Paco and waitstaff Teddy and DJ have been outstanding. MD Guiseppe Franchina also excellent.

Captain is Nicolo Binetti who we have known for many years as well as CD Susan Rawlings. Stewart "Steve" is awesome too.

That's it for now, we depart at 4:30 for San Juan Del Sur. Yippee!!!!!!

Edited by Colo Cruiser