no receipts is new policy?

AZJerry

Just off the Grand Princess. No receipts for drinks, but the shops still give receipts. We also used they machines where you swipe the card, and print statement as many times are you wish. They still deliver the final statement to the cabin.

The obvious saving of paper aside, not having receipts can save a little bit of time on the transaction. My expectation that is in preparation for the next POS upgrade which will allow on screen signing (think UPS devices) for server devices and store POS.

Personally I am really hoping they jump right to RFID and Pin, but that's not likely, Princess is not really tech forward.

Hi tech is NOT always better. Sailed on the RCL Quantum with the wrist band to pay at POS, constantly screwing up. They had people walking around with tablets to check you in at embarkation, horrific, people near fighting to get table person to do sign them in. Sometimes lines a good thing. Then oops sorry my batteries dies or my connection failed.

Digital signing, does anyones signature even look remotely like their actual signature? I mean IF the digital pen works?

George in NY

Just off the Grand Princess. No receipts for drinks, but the shops still give receipts. We also used they machines where you swipe the card, and print statement as many times are you wish. They still deliver the final statement to the cabin.

I don't feel the need to get receipts (especially if we have the AIBP), but I do like to check the charges frequently to make sure if there is an error I catch it early and have time to correct it before the last night.

I truly wish that there was a way to just look at all of the charges on the screen and then just print it out if needed. I felt bad wasting paper to just spend 1 minute looking at the print out, seeing everything was OK and then putting it in the trash.

Is reviewing the bill on the TV in your stateroom being implemented as part of the new on demand TV system that Princess is adding to the fleet?

Now if they could email you a receipt using a gizmo over the wifi or something or you could pick it all up with an app that totalised as you go. Then everone could be a winner, just need to get a smart phone.

Regards John

We were just on the Caribbean Princess and used the new Princess Messenger app on our smart phones. It worked without logging into your internet account. In addition to being able to contact your friends, there was a schedule for the day plus an "Onboard Account" page. Charges usually showed up within minutes of the purchase. We just kept an eye on that.

Is reviewing the bill on the TV in your stateroom being implemented as part of the new on demand TV system that Princess is adding to the fleet?

No, but you can review it on your personal device such as a laptop, smart phone, tablet, etc. or from a PC in the Internet Cafe. No charge to do this.

So my problem with not getting receipts is the extra tip that I add on above the 15% - you can't do that if you don't have the paper receipt. I know that it means the tip goes into the pool and not to the server (like if you gave them cash) but I'm not going to carry around a wad of bills with me.

On Golden Princess, one of the server said that their tips were appreciably reduced due to the lack of receipts. So I ask for one when I order and then fill in the additional tip.

The Princess Messenger's onboard account feature updates as soon as the transaction is registered and you can check what's on your account anytime and you don't need receipts. If there's something there that's not right, you can dispute it right away.

People just don't get it that those fraction of a cent savings equal huge dollars.

Chocolates on pillows are another example less than a cent each seems like only a handful of $ per day, but multiply that by number of ships by 365 days it's a fair wad of money to spend or not to spend.

All cruise lines are going paperless. Celebrity has been doing this for at least 3 years.

The sooner the better. They just scan your cabin card, no one else has access to your card, so minimal mistakes.

Have a great cruise,:)

The crew have access to your card every time you hand it over.

All cruise lines are going paperless. Celebrity has been doing this for at least 3 years.

The sooner the better. They just scan your cabin card, no one else has access to your card, so minimal mistakes.

Have a great cruise,:)

We've been on Celebrity twice in the last 13 months (Eclipse, Summit) and paper receipts were always provided.

I don't understand the logic about not getting a receipt. If you are being charged for something that you didn't order a receipt would only prove that you did order it. If you didn't buy anything there wouldn't be a record of it to begin with. Yes sometimes things post to the acct because of a key punch error but it is up to the cruise line to prove that you made the purchase. They can only do that with a paper trail.

I don't understand the logic about not getting a receipt. If you are being charged for something that you didn't order a receipt would only prove that you did order it. If you didn't buy anything there wouldn't be a record of it to begin with. Yes sometimes things post to the acct because of a key punch error but it is up to the cruise line to prove that you made the purchase. They can only do that with a paper trail.

Which means they need a signed receipt at the Purser's Desk by the person who actually made the charge.

For the record… years ago i resisted as long as could when our company went to the then ridiculed and absurd concept of "direct deposit" idea…

Prior to that i resisted giving up a "real" paper US Savings bonds …

Then all those airlines started talking about "e-tickets"…thought that would never work! Now people use their iPhones to board an aircraft, are you kidding me??

Final thought…it took me until last year…when pulling money out of my own banks ATM to say "no i don't want a receipt"…thats living on the edge.

We were just on the Caribbean Princess and used the new Princess Messenger app on our smart phones. It worked without logging into your internet account. In addition to being able to contact your friends, there was a schedule for the day plus an "Onboard Account" page. Charges usually showed up within minutes of the purchase. We just kept an eye on that.

That's fine as long as the app works. For me on the Ruby, the app would not stay connected to the wifi unless I logged in to the internet. Obviously some kind of problem. For this trip I just gave up on carrying my phone around the ship.

Edited by AZJerry

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have some ideas...

I'm glad to see them moving away from receipts. All the receipts on my first cruise drove me crazy. I'd be sitting by the pool, in a swimsuit, and order a drink. I get the receipt and... what do I do with this? No pockets, no bag. I had put my room key on a lanyard just for that situation. I got home and found a couple dozen receipts tucked into the pages of the books I read, just cause I didn't have anywhere else to put them.

Here's what I'd like to see: Have customers sign a touch screen with all the receipt information shown, then save the receipt w/signature to the account page. Then we can check our account, click on a charge, and see the receipt. If, for some reason, a charge was erroneously posted to our room, it'll be obvious with a glance at the receipt. And no more scraps of paper. We wouldn't have to stand in line to dispute a charge either, just use the room phone and tell them which charge it is, they would be able to see the same thing we see.

Square already does something similar. There is a cafe in my office building that uses Square Cash. The first time I bought something from them, I entered my email address to have the receipt emailed to me. Since then, anytime I use that card with a business that uses Square, I get a receipt in email without having to re-enter it. If anybody else tries to use that card at a retailer that uses Square, I will get an email automatically.

Another example of good charge management is Capital One's Wallet App. When I use my Capital One credit card for anything, I get a notification on my iPhone that there's been a charge. I see it as soon as it posts to my account, so I will see anything fraudulent right away. Since Princess is now letting you see your on-board account from your smartphone, they could do a similar system to alert you the moment somebody authorizes a charge to your account, allowing you to call it out right after it happens.

The obvious saving of paper aside, not having receipts can save a little bit of time on the transaction. My expectation that is in preparation for the next POS upgrade which will allow on screen signing (think UPS devices) for server devices and store POS.

Personally I am really hoping they jump right to RFID and Pin, but that's not likely, Princess is not really tech forward.

Take a look at the description of Ocean Medallion Class. That's how Princess will be charging for drinks in the future.

For the record… years ago i resisted as long as could when our company went to the then ridiculed and absurd concept of "direct deposit" idea…

Prior to that i resisted giving up a "real" paper US Savings bonds …

Then all those airlines started talking about "e-tickets"…thought that would never work! Now people use their iPhones to board an aircraft, are you kidding me??

Final thought…it took me until last year…when pulling money out of my own banks ATM to say "no i don't want a receipt"…thats living on the edge.

LOL - about 5 years ago I worked with a guy that still didn't want to use auto deposit. He didn't trust it. I told him that if it didn't work he could stop depositing his money that way but it has worked for years and seem to be a taker. Nope, wasn't going to try it. Not sure if he didn't trust the technology (although we used computers all day long at work) or he wanted to make sure he held the "I'm superior" spot over his wife. He was definitely was a male chauvinistic pig.

LOL - about 5 years ago I worked with a guy that still didn't want to use auto deposit. He didn't trust it. I told him that if it didn't work he could stop depositing his money that way but it has worked for years and seem to be a taker. Nope, wasn't going to try it. Not sure if he didn't trust the technology (although we used computers all day long at work) or he wanted to make sure he held the "I'm superior" spot over his wife. He was definitely was a male chauvinistic pig.

Gotta love auto deposit. Works great until the one in charge hits the 'take money out button' instead of the 'put money in button'. Payments for mortgages, rents, cars and others bills went bouncing. Almost all creditors understood and reversed the late fees. Almost all except the bank that did the error, BofA didn't care that it was their mistake and penalized their customers.