thanksgiving???

trub

hi all,

I will be on the eurodam during thanksgiving and being a brit do not have such a thing.

can you let me know the does and perhaps more importantly the donts,

I wish to show respect to those celebrating thanksgivind and hope to avoid any faux pas

any advice hugely appreciated

hi all,

I will be on the eurodam during thanksgiving and being a brit do not have such a thing.

I wish to show respect to those celebrating thanksgivind and hope to avoid any faux pas

Have no fear - there are no "do's or don'ts".

There will be a few decorations at the front of the MDR most likely and turkey will be on the menu.

There will be lots of other choices for dinner so there is no requirement to eat turkey :)

The only way to offend someone is to speak critically of the holiday or the traditional food. We ate in the Pinnacle on one Thanksgiving and the waiter offered to put a slice of turkey on our plate in addition to our chosen meal which was nice for us. There were some decorations in the dining room but not around the ship. There were no special activities..there may have been a church service..I can't remember.

Marcia

Whether it is Canadian thanksgiving or American, the roots are similar. Just the dates are different. It's now a harvest meal celebrating a plentiful harvest. Eat, drink, be merry and say thanks to Mother Nature or your god or your family for all you have. And thanks for your consideration!

The only way to offend someone is to speak critically of the holiday or the traditional food. We ate in the Pinnacle on one Thanksgiving and the waiter offered to put a slice of turkey on our plate in addition to our chosen meal which was nice for us. There were some decorations in the dining room but not around the ship. There were no special activities..there may have been a church service..I can't remember.

Marcia

Since when is it considered offensive to criticize the "traditional Thanksgiving" food? Not everyone likes turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie, and not everyone enjoys stuffing themselves. For me, the best use of turkey is the day after, cold, smothered with good mayo, in a sandwich.

Since when is it considered offensive to criticize the "traditional Thanksgiving" food? Not everyone likes turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie, and not everyone enjoys stuffing themselves. For me, the best use of turkey is the day after, cold, smothered with good mayo, in a sandwich.

"Good mayo" is not a thing. ;)

I will also be on this cruise for Thanksgiving and was hoping they would have already decorated the ship for the Christmas holidays. Any possibility?

Helen

I doubt it, most ships seem to put them up about 10-14 days before Christmas.

hi all,

What a lovely, thoughtful post.

American Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, it is all about family sharing a nice meal and giving thanks. Most importantly it has not been commercialized (that begins the next day, Black Friday) or politicized. I don't think there are any real dos or donts, just enjoy what should be a special meal. And it is fine if you don't like turkey.

Edited by sammiedawg

one of the reason's I chose the date was to not have to cook a turkey at home ;)

We very often order the turkey and dressing as it's normally offered at least once per cruise. Granted you don't get a drum stick - yet the meal is usually quite good.

I agree with other ccer's here it was very kind of you to ask about our tradition of Thanksgiving. And, I agree no do's or don'ts just enjoy your yourself.

We are staying on for an addtional 8 days - total of 15 days on the Collector's Cruise.

Being the Eurodam is going into drydock just days after our cruise I doubt there will be any holiday decoration's.

Looking forward to sailing with you.

I will also be on this cruise for Thanksgiving and was hoping they would have already decorated the ship for the Christmas holidays. Any possibility?

Helen

Probably not as have seen the decorations go up maybe a week or 2 before the holidays. A team from an outside company does this so it will depend on port schedules as they usually move from ship to ship.

Do not recall seeing turkey roll - it was sliced, real turkey when I had it last on the Amsterdam - and it was not bad.

i agree. they do a very good job with the traditional meal on board. i love making turkey dinner at home, but for some reason we find ourselves cruising on thanksgiving week, usually a back to back.someone told me once on cruise critic that they never order anything that they can cook well at home. this has always made me smile. i use that as a guideline sometimes, but the food is always so good, i never go wanting for choices. I love the food and presentation on hal. but there are so many other reasons for me to be on board, and am about 53 days away from being very thankful for another trip and cant wait to meet some of you lovely folks.

We sail the week of Thanksgiving nearly every year because we only need to take three days of vacation as Thursday and Friday are holidays. That being said, we do miss doing Thanksgiving at home and as someone else stated, we really miss the yummy leftovers. Our solution came to us a few years ago in that we make the full traditional Thanksgiving dinner the weekend after we get home:)!! The diets commence the following Monday.:(