Hurricane Joaquin

Mr. Blonde

We are being made aware of changes by, who else?, the passengers. I have been focused on Disney, hoping to find out about my family so that is what I am aware of. Disney Magic left Miami two hours late and is skipping their first port Castaway Cay. Who knows where the will go after that??

Disney Fantasy left St. Maarten this PM and is skipping the stop at Castaway Cay (which is where my daughter SHOULD have been on the Dream) and they are going to sail around for two days.

Heaven forbid the cruise lines would tell us how terrible the conditions are so we might cancel and leave them with empty cabins.

This storm is broadening and has 85 mile an hr. winds so no one is going to have a smooth ride. Please refer back to the live cams that I posted and you can check your destinations.

Be safe!

I just saw your post. I'll look for the ship. Here's the info. According to the info they left St. Kitts earlier this evening and are supposed to be going to San Juan, They are headed slightly Northwest on the map which is great!

IMO: 9198355

MMSI: 357657000

Call Sign: 3FPQ9

Flag: Panama (PA)

AIS Type: Passenger

Gross Tonnage: 110239

Deadweight: 10000 t

Length × Breadth: 291m × 36m

Year Built: 2002

Last Position ReceivedIn Range

Info Received: 5 min ago (2015-09-30 23:46)

Area: Caribbean Sea

Latitude / Longitude: 17.71432° / -63.18027°

Speed/Course: 17.1kn / 296°

AIS Source: 370 Colombier

Itineraries History

Latest Positions

Nearby Vessels

Show on live map

Wind: 5 knots

Wind direction: SE (147o)

Temperature: 29oC

Voyage Related Info (Last Received)

Destination SAN JUAN [PR]

ETA 2015-10-01 11:00 UTC

Last Known Port ST KITTS [KN] (2015-09-30 21:09:00)

Previous Port PHILIPSBURG [sX] (2015-09-29 22:05:00)

Draught 8.2m

Speed recorded (Max / Average) 17.8 / 16.8 knots

Info Received 2015-09-30 23:38 (13 min ago)

Recent Port CallsLocal Time Time (UTC)

Port Arrival (LT) Departure (LT) In Transit

KN ST KITTS (UTC-4) 2015-09-30 06:19:00 2015-09-30 17:09:00

SX PHILIPSBURG (UTC-4) 2015-09-29 08:16:00 2015-09-29 18:05:00

No Port Calls recorded during the past 3 days

Edited by FBFLORIDA

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place .... Really lost here! but, my parents are currently on the Carnival Conquest and near the Bahamas now. How do I get any information about how their cruise is going? Their first ever cruise and we (us kids) have no communication with them until their return. Alittle nervous, very curious and unsure how where to go for info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

You can try posting on the Carnival website or the Roll Call and see if someone there can assist you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=327

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place .... Really lost here! but, my parents are currently on the Carnival Conquest and near the Bahamas now. How do I get any information about how their cruise is going? Their first ever cruise and we (us kids) have no communication with them until their return. Alittle nervous, very curious and unsure how where to go for info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Check the Carnival Cruise lines website. Nothing to worry about. They will adjust the itinerary if necessitated by the storm. They won't sail in it's path. They will go a different direction.

Edited by Charles4515

After hearing the local news, I would almost guarantee ships leaving the next few days will encounter rough seas. It was stated their was 25 foot waves off shore and we should expect 10 foot waves on shore locally. Not pleasant but like others have said the ships will sail, even if they closed port Canaveral, in the past in rare cases they have relocated departure ports between the 3 Florida ports (PC, FT, MIA).

Ha ha......it's not that freezing here but I don't want to go back to Canada either!!

Just exaggerating. I'm a summer girl. 60's is cold when I'm planning a beach trip. As much as I like Canada, I'll book that one in July ! Last July I booked a Canada cruise and ended up in Bermuda due to a tropical storm. Maybe it's a payback ? Haha

Let me start off with saying I'm a total panicking mess tonight because of this D**N hurricane that is projected to come up the east coast within a day or two. I live just below Charlotte, NC and the NHC.NOAA has issued a report saying Charlotte will be receiving heavy rains and high winds Saturday night into Sunday morning. I'm suppose to leave CLT Airport at 9:30am and fly to MCO (Orlando)and arrive there by 11am. BUT...the weather that has been forecasted here suggests there will be heavy rains and high winds at my departure time. I have my doubts they will be getting the plane up and moving with the weather pattern I have seen tonight. I called twice today to have the change fee waived and switch to a Saturday flight but was told they have not gotten the "OK" to waive the fees yet. At this point I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and pay the extra $475 fee to cover a Saturday flight out. What would you do?..ride this out until Friday and hope by Saturday the storms will swift, pay the extra $$$ to get on an earlier flight the day before on Saturday or just wait for what happens Sunday morning?

We are heading out on Liberty on Saturday to Bermuda......hope we can get away before the storm and still make it there. Looks like the hurricane might make landfall south of the NJ area early next week.....hope all is good at the Port Liberty upon our return!!

I sailed out of Port Liberty on the Sunday that Sandy hit, for Bermuda. I boarded the ship by noon, before the subways shut down at 4. I took sea bands and ginger (picked up the candy at Trader Joe's). We went to Bermuda as scheduled but went as far south as Jacksonville Fl before we headed to Bermuda. I was fine but that was not the case for many others. (I was just lucky)

Those that parked there car at the Pier (the Pier is low so near the water) found there cars were underwater. So it was goodbye car, so glad I decided to take public transportation to the ship.

Port Liberty has just reopened when we returned 7 days later and I was happy to find a shuttle to take me Manhattan.

The cruise itself was great, just very rough the 1st day out, they had to cancel breakfast and lunch due to the dishes and food flying everywhere. They did come out with some large 6 foot hero's.

What would you do?..ride this out until Friday and hope by Saturday the storms will swift, pay the extra $$$ to get on an earlier flight the day before on Saturday or just wait for what happens Sunday morning?

I'd wait it out. US Airways has issued a travel advisory for the Bahamas allowing change fees to be waived. I'm assuming that you're flying US as they are the largest carrier by far out of CLT. Keep monitoring the airline's website and if an advisory occurs jump on it as soon as you can for the best choice of options.

After over 20 years in the aviation industry, I've had quite a few different experiences with weather, so I'd wait it out.

I'm on that sailing too and praying we don't end up in Canada !!! I did this 3 years ago during Sandy and they sailed right through the eye. It was horrible. But once we got to Bermuda if was beautiful. Right now the forecast doesn't look good. Heavy sigh! But I'd rather be wet in Bermuda than freezing in Canada !

Ah.. C'mon it's not that cold up here eh! It's fall here not winter yet but, yea it ain't Bermuda. Best wishes for your sailing.

Let me start off with saying I'm a total panicking mess tonight because of this D**N hurricane that is projected to come up the east coast within a day or two. I live just below Charlotte, NC and the NHC.NOAA has issued a report saying Charlotte will be receiving heavy rains and high winds Saturday night into Sunday morning. I'm suppose to leave CLT Airport at 9:30am and fly to MCO (Orlando)and arrive there by 11am. BUT...the weather that has been forecasted here suggests there will be heavy rains and high winds at my departure time. I have my doubts they will be getting the plane up and moving with the weather pattern I have seen tonight. I called twice today to have the change fee waived and switch to a Saturday flight but was told they have not gotten the "OK" to waive the fees yet. At this point I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and pay the extra $475 fee to cover a Saturday flight out. What would you do?..ride this out until Friday and hope by Saturday the storms will swift, pay the extra $$$ to get on an earlier flight the day before on Saturday or just wait for what happens Sunday morning?

Gas the car up, easy drive for you

I agree with setsail--- drive. We live in SC maybe 60 miles south of you, and drive to Port Canaveral several times a year. It's an 8 hour drive including stops.

Get in the car Saturday morning, you can be at cocoa beach before dinner. If you go to the CC Florida boards you will see a variety of parking and hotel options. You will wake up Sunday morning refreshed and get on the ship with no stress.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

M

PS – on the next cruise, plan to arrive a day prior to the cruise.

M

I'm on that sailing too and praying we don't end up in Canada !!! I did this 3 years ago during Sandy and they sailed right through the eye. It was horrible. But once we got to Bermuda if was beautiful. Right now the forecast doesn't look good. Heavy sigh! But I'd rather be wet in Bermuda than freezing in Canada !

Well we are now on the Serenade IN Canada! We are worried because we are scheduled for a sea day next Tuesday and arrival in Bayonne NJ next Wed AM. But it's still early and that path may change. I hope! Probably the fla cruises will go to the western Carib or Key West. Now flying in is a problem! Safe travels.

Thank you all for your help.

Unfortunately, unlike other cruise lines, Carnival does not provide any way to make direct "shore-to-ship" phone calls. All they have is an emergency number (1-800-227-6482), where you can call and leave a message for someone. :(

We're flying from Raleigh-Durham to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday AM to cruise on Oasis (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, ports of call in Nassau on Sunday, St. Thomas on Tuesday, and St. Maarten on Wednesday). For those who are following the storm a little more closely and have more experience sailing when there's a storm out there, what's the most likely scenario? From other posts I'm seeing it seems like these are options but as we've got friends coming with us who've never cruised before I'd like to help assuage their fears here - so which is it most/more likely to be?

• Itinerary modification (substitution of a port or ports)
  • Itinerary change (Western rather than Eastern)
  • Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

We're flying from Raleigh-Durham to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday AM to cruise on Oasis (Eastern Caribbean itinerary, ports of call in Nassau on Sunday, St. Thomas on Tuesday, and St. Maarten on Wednesday). For those who are following the storm a little more closely and have more experience sailing when there's a storm out there, what's the most likely scenario? From other posts I'm seeing it seems like these are options but as we've got friends coming with us who've never cruised before I'd like to help assuage their fears here - so which is it most/more likely to be?

• Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

Any, all, or none of the above

For sure, the ship will rock due to wave activity

I sailed out of Port Liberty on the Sunday that Sandy hit, for Bermuda. I boarded the ship by noon, before the subways shut down at 4. I took sea bands and ginger (picked up the candy at Trader Joe's). We went to Bermuda as scheduled but went as far south as Jacksonville Fl before we headed to Bermuda. I was fine but that was not the case for many others. (I was just lucky)

Those that parked there car at the Pier (the Pier is low so near the water) found there cars were underwater. So it was goodbye car, so glad I decided to take public transportation to the ship.

Port Liberty has just reopened when we returned 7 days later and I was happy to find a shuttle to take me Manhattan.

The cruise itself was great, just very rough the 1st day out, they had to cancel breakfast and lunch due to the dishes and food flying everywhere. They did come out with some large 6 foot hero's.

You were quite lucky when the people cruised from Galveston during Ike not only were their cars gone upon return but the ships couldn't even return to Galveston. They disembarked in New Orleans and bussed them to Houston only to find no rental cars, no hotel rooms, and most of Houston without power. Here's a pic of what the causeway to get out of Galveston looked like:

ImageUploadedByForums1443712750.851688.jpg.a85657496b75e76796c4fae170af6af7.jpg

My understanding is that most, that got their money back was through their credit card companies. People that asked to cancel before the storm hit were told they would forfeit their entire cruise fare even though on departure day Galveston was under a mandatory evacuation. There are videos on YouTube, of being on the ships during hurricanes with the water sloshing out of the pools that are cool to watch.(crazy people though as the wind is roaring around them)

• Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

Any, all, or none of the above

For sure, the ship will rock due to wave activity

Assuming you even get there in time to make the ship flying the day of. I'd expect there will be a lot of weather-related flight delays and cancellations.

• Delayed departure
  • Some other change?

If the latest tracks I saw this morning are accurate, you may want to fly out tomorrow instead of Saturday. While FLL may be warm and sunny, it looks like the Carolinas are in Joaquin's path for landfall