Safety using Trains for Transfer??

bb2

Hello,

My husband and I were planning on using the Leonardo D'Vinci train for transfer between FCO and the Termini as well as a Termini train to Citavechia before our cruise.

We will both be transporting 1 large wheeled suitcase each. Our hotel is a few blocks from the station in a good area.

We recently saw a post regarding the trains lacking security and the high potential for crime.

Are we looking for trouble traveling this way and should we be concerned regarding our plans and instead look for shared or private transfer?

Thank you

While admonitions to be aware of pickpockets are frequent (and worth heeding), I would certainly not regard the trains as dangerous nor, for all the warnings, have I read anyone actually reporting here of having luggage stolen.

I use trains frequently in Italy and have used both the segments you mention several times over. As a woman traveling alone I have never experienced any problems with them and I have only exercised what I'd consider normal precautions.

My daughter and I (2 females) took the train from civ. port to rome. Took train Venice- florence. Then florence to rome. All with luggage during the day hours, never felt unsafe ever. Kept our bags close. The only thing that surprised me was a woman telling my 17 yr old daughter her headphone music was going to hurt her ears, lol... In Italian...

We recently saw a post regarding the trains lacking security and the high potential for crime.

My wife and I have traveled all over Italy (and Europe in general) by train since 1971, when I was stationed in Germany with the army, and have never experienced any crime on the trains, up to and including our recent trips between Milan, Florence and Venice earlier this year. If you're worried about your luggage, simply lock it to the rack with a cheap cable lock; any potential thief will probably move on to an unlocked piece rather than than taking the time to pull out something to cut the cable. We Americans blithely live in a country with an astonishingly high rate of violent crime compared to Western Europe, yet often obsess about pickpockets (yes, they do exist, but not just in Europe) and minor stuff like that whenever we leave the U.S. Relax. If you look apprehensive, you will attract miscreants; that's a lesson I learned when I moved to NYC in 1973, when it really was dangerous.

Edited by Langoustine

Like cruisemom, I am a solo woman traveler. I've done the train thing many times in Italy. I've never felt unsafe. I pack for my travels in a suitcase that is small and light enough that I can lift it into the train overhead so it is with me. If I ever required taking a larger suitcase, I would use my cable lock that I have from my skis and lock it to something IF I had to be at the other end of the car from it.

At the stations, just use your usual common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

One thing about Termini station: my last trip there in May, there were Trenitalia staff (in red windbreakers/sweaters/polos) standing at the entrance to the platforms ("Binario" in Italian). They checked for tickets before letting anyone down the platform. This may be in part to be sure only ticket holders get there and no one to try to scam unsuspecting tourists with large suitcases into "assistance". Had the same at the Firenze S.M.N station. I don't know if it was an experiment or not.

There are very few violent crime problems on the trains or in stations. But there are plenty of pick pockets, gypsies, etc....so you do need to always keep your luggage and other personal effects under tight control. We carry a small cable lock device which we use on trains where we must leave our luggage at the end of the cars. We run the steel cable through the handles of each piece and then lock it to a structure on the train. Some might say this is being too cautious, but nobody is going to snatch our bags and hop off a train. In stations we do accept any luggage help from strangers.

Hank

• 2 months later...

used it 2 year ago with family of 4 (2 children) from CIV to Termini and it was fine!!!

please note you always have to validate your ticket in Italy so look for a machine of the perron after buying ticket.

we took the train from Livorno to Pisa and didn't because we didn't you and we had to pay a fee in the train when they where checking the tickets alsmost as high as the fee of the tickets :mad:

Edited by ol3

Because you're registering to start your cruise, the train to Civi is unlikely to be crowded (later trains, departing around 3.30 to 4.30pm will be packed with commuters and cruisers on port-of-call visits).

You'll also be boarding at the train's departure station, so you should have no trouble getting seats where you can keep your luggage by you.

(Do bear in mind that at Termini the trains for Civi are a long long walk from the main station concourse, so give yourselves an extra 15 mins or tell a taxi driver that you want the platform for Civi.)

Best to keep a special eye on luggage when arriving at intermediate stations, though luggage theft on uncrowded trains isn't a big risk.

Usual risks/precautions for pick-pockets, but robbery (threats or force) is pretty-well unheard-of.

No worries :cool:

JB :)

Since this old post has been resurrected we would add a counter proposal. If using the trains from FCO to Civitavecchia we would not consider the Leonardo Express. It just makes more sense to take the cheaper (and faster) regional (FC1 Line) train from FCO to Rome's Trastevere Station (this is only about a 20 min ride) from where you change trains to the regional train going to Civitavecchia. This is less costly, avoids the long walk in Termini (changing at Trastevere is easier), and the regional trains run every 15 min as opposed to every 30 min for the Leonardo Express. To sum up, using the Leonardo Express costs more money, actually takes longer, involves a long walk (at Termini) and just does not make a lot of sense logistically.

Hank

I do not disagree with the general theme of the above posts - but have one qualification. If you are flying into FCO on a red-eye from North America - are over 50 - know that you will get very little sleep on the plane - have significant luggage - plan to head into Rome after arrival - have never been to Rome before - be aware that you are or at least will be seen as an easy target for the pickpockets (who often work in teams of two or more) who do work the trains and stations. I very strongly advise my friends who meet the above criteria to spend the money for a limo service from FCO to their hotel in the city. When you are exhausted and walking out into the scrum of FCO, it is worth every penny to see your name being held by a driver who will take care of you. After a day or two in Rome, getting some rest, if you feel fit and ready to take the train to Civi, go for it.

I do not disagree with the general theme of the above posts - but have one qualification. If you are flying into FCO on a red-eye from North America - are over 50 - know that you will get very little sleep on the plane - have significant luggage - plan to head into Rome after arrival - have never been to Rome before - be aware that you are or at least will be seen as an easy target for the pickpockets (who often work in teams of two or more) who do work the trains and stations. I very strongly advise my friends who meet the above criteria to spend the money for a limo service from FCO to their hotel in the city. When you are exhausted and walking out into the scrum of FCO, it is worth every penny to see your name being held by a driver who will take care of you. After a day or two in Rome, getting some rest, if you feel fit and ready to take the train to Civi, go for it.

You don't have to take a car service because you are over 50. You just have to know to not accept any assistance from anyone. I'm over 60 and I travel solo and I have no qualms about taking the trains from FCO into Rome and vise versa. Just walk with purpose out to the taxi rank and wait in line for your cab. Have a piece of paper with the name and address of your hotel in a pocket ready to give to the cab driver so you don't have to be shuffling through your bags to find it when in the terminal. Maybe because I don't travel with "significant luggage" - I have my daypack and at most my rolling convertible backpack bag (an Osprey 25" Sojourn), I can move nimbly and never look like I need assistance ;)

Since this old post has been resurrected we would add a counter proposal. If using the trains from FCO to Civitavecchia we would not consider the Leonardo Express. It just makes more sense to take the cheaper (and faster) regional (FC1 Line) train from FCO to Rome's Trastevere Station (this is only about a 20 min ride) from where you change trains to the regional train going to Civitavecchia. This is less costly, avoids the long walk in Termini (changing at Trastevere is easier), and the regional trains run every 15 min as opposed to every 30 min for the Leonardo Express. To sum up, using the Leonardo Express costs more money, actually takes longer, involves a long walk (at Termini) and just does not make a lot of sense logistically.

Hank

Hi Hank,

The OP mentions "Our hotel is a few blocks from the station".

I take that to mean the OP is overniting in Rome near Termini, & heading to Civi a day or three later. In which case the switch at Ostiense (?) or Trastevere (?) doesn't work. ;)

Guinness dulls the brain :p

On the other hand, you noticed the date of the OP.

I once responded to a five-year-old post that had been resurrected. :o

Edited by John Bull

Hi Hank,

The OP mentions "Our hotel is a few blocks from the station".

I take that to mean the OP is overniting in Rome near Termini, & heading to Civi a day or three later. In which case the switch at Ostiense (?) or Trastevere (?) doesn't work. ;)

Guinness dulls the brain :p

On the other hand, you noticed the date of the OP.

I once responded to a five-year-old post that had been resurrected. :o

Leave it to JB to mock my love of Guinness :). On the other hand, who ever heard of a Brit that did not enjoy Guinness (JB hates the stuff). I took the post to mean they were staying at a hotel in Civitavecchia....but if you are correct about Rome then forget everything I said :).

Hank