Phone camera?

We don't plan on using our cell phone on board, however, we do want to take pictures with our cell phone - will we be charged if we turn the phone on? Does using Airplane Mode prevent international phone charges? Or do we need to bring a digital camera with us? Sailing on Freedom of The Seas.

We don't plan on using our cell phone on board, however, we do want to take pictures with our cell phone - will we be charged if we turn the phone on? Does using Airplane Mode prevent international phone charges? Or do we need to bring a digital camera with us? Sailing on Freedom of The Seas.

Airplane Mode will enable you to turn on your phone and use the camera and a number of other functions with no risk of charges. Just make sure you put it in Airplane Mode as soon as you've boarded, or at the latest, during sail away. I use my iPhone all the time and have never had an issue.

Edited by Fouremco

I have a corporate iPhone from the University in Australia where I work. I completely removed the Sim Card and wrapped it in paper and placed it in my wallet. There are horror stories over here of $100,000 phone bills due, mostly to the largely unseen reloading of information by apps working in the background.

I have a corporate iPhone from the University in Australia where I work. I completely removed the Sim Card and wrapped it in paper and placed it in my wallet. There are horror stories over here of $100,000 phone bills due, mostly to the largely unseen reloading of information by apps working in the background.

Turn data roaming off and you will not incur any data charges outside of your normal coverage area.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Turn data roaming off and you will not incur any data charges outside of your normal coverage area.

I understand this but my worry was the multiple times my phone keeps asking 'turn on data roaming' and I might inadvertently turn it back on, or a on if my kids might.

This type of thing has been reported as the antecedent to these horror bill issue.

Your right though, you should be able to avoid turning it back on....

Short answer is Yes. You may also safely turn WiFi back on after putting it in Airplane mode. Even if you don't care to pay extra for an Internet plan, you should be able to access some free sites on the ship's website.

I understand this but my worry was the multiple times my phone keeps asking 'turn on data roaming' and I might inadvertently turn it back on, or a on if my kids might.

This type of thing has been reported as the antecedent to these horror bill issue.

I found when I shut my IPhone completely off and then turned it back on, I had to put the phone back into Airplane mode. When I left my IPhone on continuously, airplane mode stayed on with no problem. With Android phones, airplane mode stays on even when you completely shut it down.

I found when I shut my IPhone completely off and then turned it back on, I had to put the phone back into Airplane mode. When I left my IPhone on continuously, airplane mode stayed on with no problem. With Android phones, airplane mode stays on even when you completely shut it down.

Interesting quirk. I've had iPhones since the 4 came out and have never experienced that problem. My 4, 5 and 6 Plus all stay in airplane mode when shut off and turned back on.

Correct, which is why always having data roaming off is the best option. Most phones default to data roaming off anyway, but it is best to confirm the setting before you leave your standard coverage area.

Here is another reason to take the Sim Out. Half a million Dollar bill even when the phone was reported stolen....

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/aussie-tourist-cops-571000-global-roaming-mobile-bill-phone-watchdog-report-reveals/story-fni0fit3-1227061290949

There's an even greater likelihood that your phone might be lost or stolen when you aren't travelling, but removing the SIM card to protect yourself from potential fraudulent charges defeats the whole purpose of having a mobile phone in the first place. The OP asked about using the phone's camera, and whether putting it in airplane mode will prevent her from getting charged for phone or data charges. The answer is "yes".

Here is another reason to take the Sim Out. Half a million Dollar bill even when the phone was reported stolen....

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/aussie-tourist-cops-571000-global-roaming-mobile-bill-phone-watchdog-report-reveals/story-fni0fit3-1227061290949

Thats why iPhones have passcodes and fingerprint sensors. Only you can use the phone. Taking the SIM out is not necessary.

I have taken my iPhone on 20 cruises and have never recieved an unexpected bill. Data Roaming which is the default is left off.

Also don't give the kids your passcode......

I just put my iPhone in Airplane Mode, powered it off with the slider button, and then powered it back on. When I powered it back up it was still in Airplane Mode.

I have two Samsung Galaxies (S4 and S5). Both deactivated but plan on taking them onboard. I'm going to get the wifi on board and give one to my friend who will be cruising with me. I'll use it as a camera, but also so we can contact each other on board via wifi if we aren't together. I'll have my actual phone, but it will be OFF and in the safe.

I ring my provider before I leave Ireland get them to turn off my data and voice mail and my phone bill was €2:30 more than usual when I returned as I used wifi the whole time kept the phone in airplane mode with wifi on

I would highly recommend you actually learn how to use your phone. Removing the Sim is completely unnecessary.

"Unseen reloading" - only occurs if you have enable the function in your settings. If it is disabled it doesnt happen anywhere - at home, at work, on the street, or overseas. (Settings > General > Background App refresh). Also turning off Auto Ap Updates prevents the many aps automatically updating themselves using cellular data (Settings > App & iTunes - turn all to off and turn off "use mobile data").

I have been taking all my iphones overseas since they were first released, prior to that I was taking non-smart phones overseas since the early 90s. Have never had any "bill shock".

Turning off data roaming and using flight mode when required is all that is needed.

I have two Samsung Galaxies (S4 and S5). Both deactivated but plan on taking them onboard. I'm going to get the wifi on board and give one to my friend who will be cruising with me. I'll use it as a camera, but also so we can contact each other on board via wifi if we aren't together. I'll have my actual phone, but it will be OFF and in the safe.

That's an excellent idea. I recently upgraded from an s3 to the s6 edge+ and don't want to risk losing my main phone on vacation.

For pics, I use a stand alone Olympus Tough Cam and I can use it underwater.

Good point, When turning on airplane mode, note the little icon that shows up indicating your in that mode and watch for it.

That's an excellent idea. I recently upgraded from an s3 to the s6 edge+ and don't want to risk losing my main phone on vacation.

For pics, I use a stand alone Olympus Tough Cam and I can use it underwater.

Why keep the old phones? They become clutter. I sell them or trade them in. I just got a new iPhone and sold the old iPhone for $412. You probably can't get anything like that for an S3 but you can get something.

Also the camera on the old phones is not going to be as good as the cameras on the latest phones. Every year they improve them. My iPhone 6s Plus camera is outstanding. It even has optical stabilization. I have another camera I bring but I hardly ever use it any more. Your s6 camera is likely pretty good too. It should be better than your s3 s camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

As a Canadian, I always have my data roaming off when I travel to the US or close to the border. I keep my phone in airplane mode the whole cruise. If I take airplane mode off while still in the US, I know I won't get data charges, but possibly text or roaming phone call charges.

Yesterday, I texted the car driver who was picking us up at the port so I will have to pay extra for those texts.

If a phone is in airplane mode it should not ask you to turn data roaming back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk