First time Cruiser...what would you tell them to bring?

Singer4Him

How is a two dollar bill problematic to use? It is US currency same as a one or five dollar bill.

Hey Chief. Former BM1 myself. :)

From what I've been told, the staff tends to have a hard time with $2 bills in foreign ports and at home because in a lot of places, they don't recognize it.

Semper Paratus! :)

To the OP, as you can see, everyone's "needs" differ. What may be important to one person may not be so for someone else. No need to pack extra hangers. If you ask your cabin steward, he/she can bring extras to you. Prior to our last cruise, we never took an over-the-door organizer. But on our last cruise, my wife thought it would be a good idea. Wouldn't you know it. She was right. Since counter top space is limited, it is a good way to keep small items organized, easy to get to, and easy to find. Actually, the best thing to do, BEFORE packing, is to make a list of the things you actually need, such as meds., toiletries, chargers for your electronic items, and travel documents. If you're flying to the port, keep in mind that most airlines charge $25.00 per checked bag, so try to keep packing to a minimum. No one will care if you wear the same shorts or pants more than once, so long as they're clean. Each ship has laundry facilities on board, so you can always wash clothes if you find you didn't bring enough socks, underwear or whatever. I'm guessing 99% of the "just in case" stuff that people bring never get used and should have been left at home.

While DH and I have been on a few cruises, our friends who will be sailing with us next month are newbies. I've mentioned several things to them to bring, but I'm sure that you guys can help me think of more. The things that I've mentioned so far are:

• Hangers - Why?
  • Tervis tumblers w/straws - Why?
  • Post-it notes - Why?
  • Power strip - Why?
  • Copy of your passports, as well as the originals - Yes
  • Small bills for tipping porters and while in port - Yes
  • Backpack - day pack
  • Truvia packs - No
  • Air fresheners for the cabin/bathroom - No
  • Thank you cards for wait staff, cabin steward, etc. - Only if you put cash in them.

What else should I add to the list for them?

My comments in red.

• Hangers

Hangers? why? Ask your cabin steward for more if you need them.

Remind them of NO CANDLES-- unless they are battery operated.

What is truvia-- is that sugar packets?

I agree with the watch-- not a cell phone to tell time. and a plug in clock will lose time so if needed to get up at a certain time-- you could be late. (a nite light if inside cabin)

Edited by serene56

While you'd need more of a U-Haul than suitcase for all our suggestions, here are a few more:

* Clock (none in room)

* Extension cord (we use a noise machine and there's only one outlet)

- Musing About Cruising

• Hangers

Hangers? why? Ask your cabin steward for more if you need them.

Remind them of NO CANDLES-- unless they are battery operated.

What is truvia-- is that sugar packets?

I agree with the watch-- not a cell phone to tell time. and a plug in clock will lose time so if needed to get up at a certain time-- you could be late. (a nite light if inside cabin)

Truvia is an all natural (no chemicals) zero calorie sweetener. We have found it only at Trader Joes although it may be available elsewhere.

Best clock is a cheap portable battery operated clock with a built in low light or an LED output.

Night light. We plug in a low wattage plug in a bathroom receptacle to help find our way to the loo in the middle of the night. (On some ships just leaving the loo light on is OK, but on others it's just way too bright.)

Truvia is an all natural (no chemicals) zero calorie sweetener. We have found it only at Trader Joes although it may be available elsewhere.

Best clock is a cheap portable battery operated clock with a built in low light or an LED output.

Night light. We plug in a low wattage plug in a bathroom receptacle to help find our way to the loo in the middle of the night. (On some ships just leaving the loo light on is OK, but on others it's just way too bright.)

I don't know if this is true for ALL ships, but on the ones we've been on, the outlet in the bathroom is connected to the light switch. When you turn off the light in the bathroom (or "loo"), the outlet is also turned off. We bring a small battery powered light to use as a night light.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT (LOL) take the ill advice of "rolling clothes to make room in suitcase" I followed that fallacy and ended up looking like a wrinkled tramp!!

Hmm, I actually just "discovered" the packing method of ROLLING my clothes and I LOVE it! Unlike you, my clothes came out UN-Wrinkled and took up MUCH less space!

Perhaps you used a different "Method" -- THis is what I did:

My socks/boxers were the "core," and I rolled a t-shirt round them, tightly. This is critical otherwise you will not have good results for the first few items. After you have your core, roll each item, one by one, around the "core" - You have to wrap/roll tightly, and "Smooth out" any wrinkles, and it's best to do the rolling on a hard, flat surface, like the dining room table.

for "Dress clothes" like dress pants and dress shirts, I will roll new-unused dry cleaner bags in between the layers, but ONLY for dress clothes.

Depending on how many articles you have, and how "thick" your suitcase is, you may end up with one roll or two.

Hoestly, I have taken 3 trips where I used this technique, and I LOVE it. clothes come out perfect and it really does take up significantly less space.

I still have about a month till I leave for my first cruise, but I spent some time today shopping for and packing travel-size toiletries, and a few other items like a TSA-compliant lock, sunglasses, etc. I usually travel lite, but there are a few things I don't want to get stuck paying for on board. For instance, dental floss. I'll bet they charge an arm and a leg for that, and we've got a load sitting around from the dentist. Also sunblock and some aloe gel.

Oh, I'll be in an inside cabin and am wondering if I'll need two pairs of swim trunks or can get by with one. It's only a five-night cruise but I'm wondering if they dry slowly in an inside cabin. There are two port calls but I'd only swim at one.

While DH and I have been on a few cruises, our friends who will be sailing with us next month are newbies. I've mentioned several things to them to bring, but I'm sure that you guys can help me think of more. The things that I've mentioned so far are:

• Hangers
  • Tervis tumblers w/straws
  • Post-it notes
  • Power strip
  • Copy of your passports, as well as the originals
  • Small bills for tipping porters and while in port
  • Backpack
  • Truvia packs
  • Air fresheners for the cabin/bathroom
  • Thank you cards for wait staff, cabin steward, etc.

What else should I add to the list for them?

Wow. I'll admit I haven't read all the responses because some of these just jumped out at me.

Okay, I would never ever bring hangers, post it notes, Truvia packs, air freshener, back pack or thank you cards. They have envelopes for extra money and if I want to really thank them I will fill in the card provided me from the cruise line. Saying you are wonderful is also better said by dead presidents.

I agree with the power strip, a bigger plastic glass and single dollar bills. I would add things like a good attitude and willingness to try new things. Sometimes knowing more is not better. It takes some of the fun out of it. I would also bring a travel clock, camera, batteries, all meds both over the counter and prescription and all the prescription details. I only travel with the necessary documentation (I don't need my Costco card, Chevron or AAA card so leave them at home).

I'm not that sloppy I need over the door storage. The cabin I book has enough storage.

After several comments about how I use my balcony (who knew leaving the cabin light on while I walked out to check out the view was horrible) I am going to try some flameless candles. I'll let you know how that works out. I'm not a candle person so we will see how it goes.

Think about what you would need if you went away for a long weekend. This isn't a slum motel and they will have a lot of things that a resort would have. I never travel without certain things. The gift shop on the ship is limited and expensive. I had a friend who had a girl emergency on the first night but the store didn't open until the next day. Thankfully one of the ladies at the Purser's desk lent her the personal item. When I travel there are certain things I take because if I don't have them when I need them.... well bummer. So I take them just in case. I have a baggie with band aids, neosporin etc.

I bring my own flavored coffee creamer, they are the small single servings, I bring two with me to breakfast.

Highlighter, because I like to highlight things not to miss on my fun times! 😁

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a cruise agent, this is a list I give all my cruisers, especially on their 1st cruise:

1) Air Freshener

2) Notebook/ pad for notes ( write things down on what to see on ship)

3) Small clips to keep drapes closed ( if you don’t want light)

4) Small LED light for bathroom

5) Digital clock

6) 3 plug adapter for extra outlets & charging ( cell, camera)

7) Sanitizer wipes for balcony handles, TV remote, phone,etc

8) List of meds good to take:tummy meds,cold,headache,motion sickness,etc.

9) Shoe- holder ( door) to hold things

10) Little fan for noise/ radio w/ sounds

11) Binoculars ( very cool to see things from your balcony!!)

12) Yellow highlighter to highlight things to do & see on ship from the daily pamphlet each ship leaves you every night

#3 helps keep the cabin dark if you have a balcony ( a must for us) or window cabin..#5 remember most cruise ships do not have an alarm or digital clock, so I bring a small travel clock that lights up when I touch the top..# 8 a must if you're not sure if you have motion sickness..#11 makes the balcony experience enhanced if dolphins swim along side the ship or when another cruise ship goes by, you can check them out..OR when you see islands go by...very cool...#9 is good to put some bathroom items- not much room for storage in most average sip bathrooms...most important, enjoy your first cruise ( what ship?)...

Big Al

The only thing I've seen on this thread that I wouldn't leave home without is the medication both OTC and prescription.

Maybe a highlighter to mark your activities, but a pen works just as well, and there will be one in your cabin.

As most ships don't have Australian Power points an adapter.

We like to bring a draw string bag for dirty laundry. That way there isn't laundry all over the cabin, the cabin can stay organized and at the end of the cruise the dirty laundry bag can go right into the luggage. Also with the dirty laundry being in a bag, if there's anything clean still, it can separate the two, keeping me from having to do so much laundry when I get home. It really helps our cabin stay clean and organized throughout the trip.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT (LOL) take the ill advice of "rolling clothes to make room in suitcase" I followed that fallacy and ended up looking like a wrinkled tramp!!

LMAO @ wrinkled tramp!!! [emoji16][emoji13] I don't roll either!

Just returned from my first cruise last month. I think I carried most of what is listed throughout these posts, and used about 20% of it. I do believe it depends on the traveller. I was told to take motion sickness meds, but I was fine.

I definitely packed too many clothes, and that was after doing a purge the day before. I don't like wearing the same outfit twice, but no one cares, as long as you're clean, so, cut the clothes. (and shoes) :p

Air freshener was a good idea, and a pen/highlighter (Had to keep track of shuffleboard, bingo, and slot tournaments). I used my cell phone as an alarm clock and flashlight. I brought travel sized everything so I didn't need much space to organize. As well, any items that can be shared, should be. No sense in everyone carrying a bottle of sunblock or a 40 pk of wipes.

Having my first cruise under my belt, I definitely know how to save space for the next one. :D

I think it's all in what type of personality you have. I bring a lanyard for my cruise card as I wear one at work and am used to it. I bring a highlighter because I want to highlight the things I really want to see/do. I also bring a small "med" box of OTC mess. The nurse in me grinds meds everywhere. And as I get slightly sea sick, I bring my sea sickness patches. I brought an over the door hanger first time but only 2 in cabin so didn't need it we had plenty of room. I also over packed & brought hangers but the room steward brought extra no problem. We used post it notes for him in the room but I think we would've been just fine without. I also tried the clip at the bottom of the shower curtain, complete fail for me.

Just go to relax & have fun! If you need certain things to let you relax & you have room in your luggage, bring it! If you run out of room, store it in your suitcase under the bed. That's where I put all my dirty clothes. & by the way, not all ships have washers & dryers for public use...

I like to bring one SD card for each port and when you get back to the ship, put the one you just used at the port into the safe, just incase something happens to your camera, you dont loose all of your pictures...Being a little OCD, I print out the conformation papers for the excursions and put each into an envelope with the port name on it...then I put any money I still need for it in the envelope as well...that way when I leave the ship, I just grab the envelope for that port out of the safe and know I have everything I need for that excursion...I always print out the amenities sheet from the cruise line just incase nothing shows up on my account...

DO NOT waste the space bringing a beach towel...I did that on my first cruise and have to laugh at myself now....

I like to bring one SD card for each port and when you get back to the ship, put the one you just used at the port into the safe, just in case something happens to your camera, you don't lose all of your pictures...

Excellent idea! My biggest problem is sorting and identifying the photos. I haven't lost any. Yet. And I'm careless about downloading to my laptop. But the separate CD per day is a total answer and makes life so much easier when it comes time to put everything together in albums.

Being a little OCD, I print out the conformation papers for the excursions and put each into an envelope with the port name on it...then I put any money I still need for it in the envelope as well...that way when I leave the ship, I just grab the envelope for that port out of the safe and know I have everything I need for that excursion.

I don't understand :confused:. How can this be an issue? Are you trying to tell me that everyone doesn't do this? What is wrong with people! Next thing I know you'll be telling me that people don't have binders :eek: ! For our Med cruise - binder divided up by flight, hotel, tours, ship, tours, flight. Each tour was in an envelope with the price and how much I would leave for a tip. That amount was due to change after the tour. Then the extra envelope with spending money.

My DH made fun of me. I said, what do you think? You just show up at the airport and they know where you are going? He said, well that's what I do!

:rolleyes: