Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

ahoy shipmates,

this big announcement could well be something to do with the new 'china fleet'. The carnival company has several ships from their various cruise lines heading east to find their fortunes in china. It would make sense to merge all those ships into one company and save a fortune in book work etc. Just a thought

That's a great thought. When HAL and Princess were merged into the same division, the new President talked of differentiating the lines and reducing the competition between them.

HAL could become the headquarters for this China Fleet. HAL could lose and gain some ships to/from Princess. Princess could be the headquarters for the fleet servicing Alaska/Hawaii/Tahiti/Caribbean/Europe. There would be a clear distinction between the lines and competition eliminated.

Since this thread has morphed into one of “What would I like”, I’d like to toss in an idea.

I’d really like to take a HAL cruise through the northwest passage across the top of Canada. I think a cruise from NYC or Boston heading north then west and ending in Seattle would be a great experience.

I don't know of any cruise line that has gone there before.

Scott & Karen

Since this thread has morphed into one of “What would I like”, I’d like to toss in an idea.

I’d really like to take a HAL cruise through the northwest passage across the top of Canada. I think a cruise from NYC or Boston heading north then west and ending in Seattle would be a great experience.

Scott & Karen

I'd do almost anything to sail on that itinerary. I've been looking for years at the LLoyd ship that goes "up and over" Russia, but at a base ticket of $43,000 it's a bit beyond our means!

Scott & Karen

Crystal Cruises, 32 days, August 16 - September 17, 2016, Seward to NYC.

Seems to have booked up fast and is waitlisted.

ahoy shipmates,

this big announcement could well be something to do with the new 'china fleet'. The carnival company has several ships from their various cruise lines heading east to find their fortunes in china. It would make sense to merge all those ships into one company and save a fortune in book work etc. Just a thought

Their announcement does specify newbuilds and existing ships... and I think a genius way for Carnival Corp to get into China would be to have a ship or two from "each brand" and lump them into one brand. Have it basically be a Carnival Corp Chinese sampler pack if you will.

However I'm not sure if the European ambiance of HAL ships would have much appeal to Chinese folks.

It is! Pricing starts at $22.000 pp (for an outside) according to the website.

I wonder if Crystal will offer it more than once.

Crystal has chartered two ice breakers to accompany them the entire trip.

Crystal skimps on nothing.

That's a great thought. When HAL and Princess were merged into the same division, the new President talked of differentiating the lines and reducing the competition between them.

HAL could become the headquarters for this China Fleet. HAL could lose and gain some ships to/from Princess. Princess could be the headquarters for the fleet servicing Alaska/Hawaii/Tahiti/Caribbean/Europe. There would be a clear distinction between the lines and competition eliminated.

HAL owns a TON of real estate, equipment, auxiliary companies and most of all goodwill in Alaska. No way on earth would they gve it to Princess.

Edited by sppunk

HAL owns a TON of real estate, equipment, auxiliary companies and most of all goodwill in Alaska. No way on earth would they gve it to Princess.

I agree they likely wouldn't do so voluntarily. However, if not given a choice ...

Their announcement does specify newbuilds and existing ships... and I think a genius way for Carnival Corp to get into China would be to have a ship or two from "each brand" and lump them into one brand. Have it basically be a Carnival Corp Chinese sampler pack if you will.

However I'm not sure if the European ambiance of HAL ships would have much appeal to Chinese folks.

I agree. The Chinese folk will be more interested in Gambling! What I don't get... the Chinese want their own ship... they want to build their own. Knowhow is what they want. If they use the Carniival Corp ships..... and then in five or six years they will have their own new large ships... they won't want those old ships and would be worthless back in the US market. Once the Chinse know how to run their own ship.... they won't need any foreign personnel either!

I agree. The Chinese folk will be more interested in Gambling! What I don't get... the Chinese want their own ship... they want to build their own. Knowhow is what they want. If they use the Carniival Corp ships..... and then in five or six years they will have their own new large ships... they won't want those old ships and would be worthless back in the US market. Once the Chinse know how to run their own ship.... they won't need any foreign personnel either!

Correct, but China will get that information one way or another. They could always pay top dollar for individuals with that knowledge. Five or six years is probably optimistic for their acquisition of their own ships unless you're talking a straight up purchase. Ten or fifteen years is probably more accurate. Yes, they could build them faster but the question is, will they work properly? Lots of little details to work out.

I've seen a couple articles online that don't work when I try to paste them in this post, that indicate HAL is going to be making a huge announcement in the next week or so that "promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before". Other listings are referring to brand evolutions and some have hinted at large branding changes, fleet-wide enhancements and new brand initiatives. This is all supposed to take place at some huge event in New York City.

A couple of my contacts in the Seattle HQ have said there's a big meeting in the office early next week that seems like it may be related of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the NYC event and the news going public will happen the same day.

Seems like the next week or two could be some interesting ones for HAL

Any updates on when the announcement will be made?

Yes, ^^ This.

Scott & Karen

Ponant have done it, at least once, with two of their ships. (Boreal and Soleal, if memory serves).

http://en.ponant.com/Cruises/All-Cruises/Northwest-Passage

Scott & Karen

Rafinmd - Roy - is doing one - I think 2017 - don't remember the line but not one of the usual ones

Crystal Serenity from Seward to New York August 16, 2016 (or from Vancouver August 6). While expedition ships have done it in the past I think this is the first one for a full size cruise ship. Once the way has been paved, HAL and others may decide to follow.

Roy

Another hint possibly?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-holland-america-president-profile-20151023-story.html

The cruise line is expected Thursday to make a major announcement about other features on the way.

"It's not that we're doing something completely different. It's just that we're doing it a little bit bigger," Ashford said.

One message that Holland America, often perceived as a cruise line for older people, hopes to convey is that "it's less about age and more about attitude," Ashford said.

"It's about telling our story [of cruising in a classic style], in an exciting way."