What is the latest on Aqua passengers eating in MDR?

tbmrt

Last year fellow cruisers staying in Aqua Class joined us in MDR several times. Just walked right in after going to MDR desk.

Yet I read that this can't be done without Maitre D's approval ahead of time.

We do know some people who will want to join us for dinner in MDR and are in Aqua Class this year.

Would appreciate input on what they need to do to be able to join us occasionally.

Tx

Edited by tbmrt
change

It can be done with the approval of the Maitre D' but you won't have priority and they will try to persuade you otherwise. Personally we found the MDR better but primarily because of an idiot waiter in Blu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have difficulties getting into the MDR? We just booked an Aqua Class room, and while we are looking forward to BLU if the MDR has something that looks enticing I know we will want to switch. How difficult is it to obtain approval and how far in advance must you do so?

Did you have difficulties getting into the MDR? We just booked an Aqua Class room, and while we are looking forward to BLU if the MDR has something that looks enticing I know we will want to switch. How difficult is it to obtain approval and how far in advance must you do so?

I'd like to know more too. In the same situation and actually planned to do the same as you've described.

Our reservation says we have Assigned Dining at 6:30pm so I just assumed we had a spot in the MDR if we needed...?

If you are in an aqua class cabin, your "assigned dining time" in the MDR is for gratuity billing only....it has nothing at all to do with where or when you eat. If you have early seating assigned, that just means you don't pay gratuities until you are on board...if you showed select/anytime dining, you would have to pay gratuities with your final payment.

If the folks assigned to the MDR are in select dining, it will be easy to join them...just tell the maitre d' in Blu what you want to do. If the MDR folks are in early or late seating, it's more difficult to join them because there are only so many seats at a table and they are normally filled....

If you are in an aqua class cabin, your "assigned dining time" in the MDR is for gratuity billing only....it has nothing at all to do with where or when you eat. If you have early seating assigned, that just means you don't pay gratuities until you are on board...if you showed select/anytime dining, you would have to pay gratuities with your final payment.

If the folks assigned to the MDR are in select dining, it will be easy to join them...just tell the maitre d' in Blu what you want to do. If the MDR folks are in early or late seating, it's more difficult to join them because there are only so many seats at a table and they are normally filled....

Ahhh very helpful...thank you!

So if one night me and my BF wanted to eat in the MDR, we should work with the Maitre D' in Blu to arrange it?

Ahhh very helpful...thank you!

So if one night me and my BF wanted to eat in the MDR, we should work with the Maitre D' in Blu to arrange it?

We just walked to MDR, told the person at the door (dont remember if it was the maitre) that we are in Blu but want to have dinner in MDR tonight and it was a pleasure for him to guide us to a table for two.

Did that two times on different cruises, no trouble whatsoever (and no waiting time).

It's great that they were able to accommodate you in the MDR without prior notice, but keep in mind that all three MDR dining choices (Select, Early Traditional and Late Traditional) have on recent cruises been "sold out". Considering Select Dining, there have been reports of long wait times for those who booked it and paid for it. Having diners from Blu (and Luminae) just show up means even more pressure on that dining room. And diners from the MDR can't just move to Blu or Luminae to balance things out. This is why it is important to coordinate with the Maitre D of your assigned dining room if you want to make a change. They will know which MDR dining option is most likely to have space for you.

My point is that those who move from Blue (and Luminae) may say that they "had no problems", what you might not realize is that it potentially caused problems for others who might have had a longer wait time to enter their assigned dining room because that room was making space for someone who has moved over from their assigned dining room. Coming from Blu you might not be aware of the situation caused by the Maitre D seating you in the main dining room area, but someone who has to wait for a table is the one who experiences the problem.

We just walked to MDR, told the person at the door (dont remember if it was the maitre) that we are in Blu but want to have dinner in MDR tonight and it was a pleasure for him to guide us to a table for two.

Did that two times on different cruises, no trouble whatsoever (and no waiting time).

Once to talked to the Maitre D' at Blu. The 2nd time we just went to Select Dining. We did not any problems getting a table of 4.

As to the 2 in the inside cabin. I would book them in Select dining not traditional dining.

I was just on Equinox & it was my first time on Celebrity. The cruise was booked by a family member who had been on Celebrity 1 other time, also in Aqua class. I didn't think we had a choice of dining room (other than specialty restaurants or the buffet), but he insisted that we did, b/c that's how they did it last time.

The first night, there was delayed boarding, so we weren't in our rooms until 5pm, after having flown overnight (without sleeping) from NY. When we arrived, there was a note saying for that night only we had a reservation at Blu for between 8-9 (or something like that. I guess they were doing that to spread people out? I'm not sure. That was really late for people who had been awake for about 30 hours so I was going to skip it & eat at the buffet, but my family member said he called the MDR & we could do select dining at 6.

Since they didn't make it out like it was a big exception or anything, we did it other nights, when the menu sounded better or when we didn't have time for the insanely slow service at Blu. We just went to the MDR, select seating & gave them our cabin #s. We usually went early, so there was never a wait. I would feel terrible if we delayed other people, but I didn't realize it was frowned upon.

I think, for a first timer, it is very confusing, especially when your reservation shows up as early seating MDR. I wouldn't have known that that was irrelevant, if it weren't for Cruise Critic.

TBMRT....I hope you don't mind me asking on your thread. Hubby & I are in Aqua class but out teenagers are in an interior room. We were hoping to eat in the MDR most nights with our kids. Does anyone have experience in this regard?

Similar situation here and I am considering upgrading my kids to AQ to avoid the hassles so we can all dine in BLU (and because I love them too!). It's only our second family cruise ever so I want it to be perfect. GP's along also.

Please allow me to ask a crazy question: but can you order from the MDR menu when sitting in BLU?

On S class ships, Blu's kitchen is not adjacent to the MDR kitchen. Many who have asked for item from the MDR have been able to get them, but others have been told that there are rules prohibiting moving food between preparation areas. On M class ships, it seems to be easier to request items from the MDR menu if you are dining in Blu.

You can always have any items from that evening's MDR as room service during regular dining hours. (Blu items are not available as room service).

Similar situation here and I am considering upgrading my kids to AQ to avoid the hassles so we can all dine in BLU (and because I love them too!). It's only our second family cruise ever so I want it to be perfect. GP's along also.

Please allow me to ask a crazy question: but can you order from the MDR menu when sitting in BLU?

I thought about upgrading the kids as well. My in-laws are AQ too but the price difference is substantial! We've already spent a pretty penny on cruise, flights, & excursions & we've cruise with them several times. This will be our second Xmas at sea as well. [emoji4]

Just off Reflection yesterday. We were told to simply go to Select Dining on the nights we preferred to dine there and nothing needed to be arranged in advance.

We only ended up eating in the MDR one night but had no problems.

Good to hear. Thanks!

lovemylab, how was Select dining on Reflection? Any long waits?

We only went to the MDR one night and there wasn't a wait. We noticed several empty tables while we were dining.

Anytime we walked past the MDR we didn't notice any lines so I'm assuming it was like that most of the cruise. We were on a port intensive Med cruise so perhaps more people were eating onshore (as we were in port for two evenings) or using the buffet.

Edited by lovemylab

I was just on Equinox & it was my first time on Celebrity. The cruise was booked by a family member who had been on Celebrity 1 other time, also in Aqua class. I didn't think we had a choice of dining room (other than specialty restaurants or the buffet), but he insisted that we did, b/c that's how they did it last time.

The first night, there was delayed boarding, so we weren't in our rooms until 5pm, after having flown overnight (without sleeping) from NY. When we arrived, there was a note saying for that night only we had a reservation at Blu for between 8-9 (or something like that. I guess they were doing that to spread people out? I'm not sure. That was really late for people who had been awake for about 30 hours so I was going to skip it & eat at the buffet, but my family member said he called the MDR & we could do select dining at 6.

Since they didn't make it out like it was a big exception or anything, we did it other nights, when the menu sounded better or when we didn't have time for the insanely slow service at Blu. We just went to the MDR, select seating & gave them our cabin #s. We usually went early, so there was never a wait. I would feel terrible if we delayed other people, but I didn't realize it was frowned upon.

I think, for a first timer, it is very confusing, especially when your reservation shows up as early seating MDR. I wouldn't have known that that was irrelevant, if it weren't for Cruise Critic.

The letter is standard procedure on every cruise, every ship in AQ, it has nothing to do with the fact that you boarded late. You could have gone to Blu at anytime and eaten with no problems. The stated times are just because Celebrity's computer system is still in the 20th Century.

Also, just as an FYI, if you are in AQ, Blu is your assigned dining room, you do not have an an assigned spot in the MDR.

Edited by dkjretired