Help me decide...PLEASE

crabbdock

I am trying to choose between 2 cruises. Both are 8 days departing on April 8th, and we are happy with both itineraries.. The choice is, Triumph out of New Orleans or Sunshine out of Port Canaveral..

The Triumph is a couple hundred cheaper, and I had decided on that one, till I discovered the French Quarter music festival will be going on when we depart. Has anyone been during this time? Will it make N.O. crazy busy so we cant enjoy it? Then I chose the Sunshine, until I tried to book a cabin for 3. I found out the triumph has a lot more cabins to choose from that fit our needs and cheaper, so now Im undecided again..lol

I have researched both ships, and we are happy with both, but I am worried if the Sunshine will feel more crowded..

Which one would YOU do just based on ship and departing port?? We want to book tonight or tomorrow and I just cant decide...lol

Edited by crabbdock

Loved cruising out of NOLA but before you book check out hotel rooms. During Jazz Fest the hotels book up very quickly and are expensive.

We stayed in what was then called The Ambassador. It is a few blocks from the french quarter. It's now called The Old No. 77 Hotel and Chandlery. I looked at the general time you are going and they are about $260 a night. Very cool building. Rooms were small but they have high interior brick walls.

Enjoy whatever ship you decide on.

I would also take into consideration the travel from the Airport to the Port (if you fly in same day and don't stay the night before). Orlando airport is quite a ways, and more expensive, then traveling out of NOLA.

With 3 people the extra travel costs will add up to more $ out of pocket...I would choose the NOLA cruise if you like the itinerary, can choose a better room, it is cheaper, and transfers will be cheaper too.

I too, would take Triumph, out of New Orleans. All of the reasons above to select Triumph are correct. I found "Sunshine" to be "not so sunny" when I sailed her. Crowded, noisy, and expensive. Triumph has always been an excellent choice IMO.

"SKY"

Personally I am a Sunshine fan. We have not been on Triumph but love the Victory her sister ship. But choosing between the two, Sunshine wins hands down as she was our favorite ship so far.

First, as others have noted, the Triumph don't have the upgrades of Sunshine. The sushi (did twice), Guy's and JiJis were a nice and different treat. The Havana bar was OUTSTANDING - good drinks, excellent view, easy to find a seat, and again, new and different breakfast and lunch snacking opportunity. Then, you cannot downplay sports square - it was always a lively and fun place to be and the kids loved it. And don't forget the Seaside theater at night or the awesome and unique martinis in the Alchemy bar.

Second, I think all the complaints on Sunshine are WAY over rated - if you cruise frequently, then you know how to avoid any potential lines, and simply plan ahead for any popular venue like the comedy club. I have waited on several ships for comedy club, not just the sunshine, and would wait on land - just don't see what all the fuss is other than people were spoiled when it first opened and just walked in.

But what I think your analysis should turn on is what is important to you! We spend a lot of time on our balcony, so don't worry so much about the crowds on the lido. Nor would a small price difference matter to us - it may mean the difference between cruising or not to others. We always go ashore in port, and on the ship are always looking for something new and different. We can happily cruise on an older ship, but if given the opportunity we like all the extra variety available on the sunshine.

I would pick triumph out of New Orleans. Go ahead and get reservations for hotel. How long did you plan to stay prior to cruise? If only 1 night the crowds will not bother much.

Plus as someone else said, getting from airport in Orlando to cruise port at canaveral, is difficult and can b costly. Much easier with a cab ride in n.o.

If you were planning on staying in NOLA for a few days, the hotels will be expensive during an event. We stayed at the Staybridge, just two blocks from the French Quarter, easy walk, much quieter than staying in the French quarter BUT, one of our friends booked the wrong weekend, and when she called to change the date, the cost had gone up over 300 a night. They stayed at the Lafayette. There was nothing special going on in town, it's just that if you book closer to the date? They charge more money. Good luck, have fun, and cruise happy.:)

I think I might just have to toss a coin..lol.. Both have their pros and cons, and I know I will enjoy either one.. just always scared I will make the WRONG choice...lol...

I have checked the costs of everything, cruise, flights, hotels, transfers, and it looks like there will be very little difference when you add them all up..

I think I will go back and check the ports of call. See how many ships will be in port each day and check excursions, and maybe that will help me choose.. Triumph stops at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. Sunshine is Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk.

I talked my Sister and her Hubby into taking their first cruise, and I just really want them to LOVE it.. Thanks again..

In my humble opinion I would choose the Sunshine. I have been on both although the Sunshine was the Destiny but I love the itinerary for the Sunshine not to mention the extra sea day. That being said the Triumph is a great ship too and I love N.O. have been there twice. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise. Remember there is no bad choice when it comes to cruising.

I think I might just have to toss a coin..lol.. Both have their pros and cons, and I know I will enjoy either one.. just always scared I will make the WRONG choice...lol...

I have checked the costs of everything, cruise, flights, hotels, transfers, and it looks like there will be very little difference when you add them all up..

I think I will go back and check the ports of call. See how many ships will be in port each day and check excursions, and maybe that will help me choose.. Triumph stops at Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. Sunshine is Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk.

I talked my Sister and her Hubby into taking their first cruise, and I just really want them to LOVE it.. Thanks again..

I'm going to follow up my previous comments about your choice now that I know the ports of call are different. That tips the scales heavily in favor of the Sunshine IMHO - the ABC islands on the southern route are a much rarer cruise to find and when it fits your schedule, I say jump on it.

I love Roatan, consider Costa Maya a beach day, feel compelled to book and excursion on Belize but that ALWAYS seems to be snorkeling, except for one trip to Chachoben, and have been to Cozumel more times than I can count...though I will say they have added some new all day excursions to snorkel in caves that are appealing. That said, Aruba is on par with Roatan though totally different. Beautiful island where the north? shore is rocky coastal wilderness - took a 4x4 jeep island tour and it was one of the best excursions we have had - also found the town/market area delightful and bustling. Curacao is less a favorite but still a must visit and again, if you walk the bridge, a nice town/market area to visit. And Grand Turk - a wonderful beach day stop, with awesome snorkeling/diving, and a beautiful flat quiet island paradise with warm and welcoming people. We love this port of call.

So, if you are one that cruises for ports of call, I think Sunshine wins because it is a far less available route with 3 good ports. And if you are big on the ship amenities, again Sunshine wins. Sorry but for me this would be a no brainer unless I was already in NO.

I was in New Orleans for a soccer tournament and happen to make a trip to the FQ only to discover it was the Music Festival. Plenty of tents and stages set up along the Riverwalk and the crowds in this part were very thick. Once we got away from the Riverwalk area it wasn't bad. I wouldn't let that steer me away from sailing out of N.O. if that is what you chose.

I chose the........Sunshine!!!! I am taking my sister and her Hubby on their first cruise, and I just thought this one would me more relaxing for them with 4 sea days, instead of 4 ports in a row. Plus I think she will LOVE the Serenity area on Sunshine.. I'm hoping she will love it so much, she will want to book another one, and then we can do New Orleans... Thanks everyone....now the real fun begins....

I am trying to choose between 2 cruises. Both are 8 days departing on April 8th, and we are happy with both itineraries.. The choice is, Triumph out of New Orleans or Sunshine out of Port Canaveral..

The Triumph is a couple hundred cheaper, and I had decided on that one, till I discovered the French Quarter music festival will be going on when we depart. Has anyone been during this time? Will it make N.O. crazy busy so we cant enjoy it? Then I chose the Sunshine, until I tried to book a cabin for 3. I found out the triumph has a lot more cabins to choose from that fit our needs and cheaper, so now Im undecided again..lol

I have researched both ships, and we are happy with both, but I am worried if the Sunshine will feel more crowded..

Which one would YOU do just based on ship and departing port?? We want to book tonight or tomorrow and I just cant decide...lol

We love NO

but we also had prob our best cruise on the Sunshine-just all around great from start to finish-we had been on the ship when it was the Destiny. Loved everything about it-Run for Cover is a great band if they are still on the ship